The Psychology of the Bully

Allybeboba

Legend
Bullies are made, not born, this behavior is typically fostered at a very young age. A difficult upbringing can result in low self esteem, which coupled with aggressive behavior can create a child who not only lacks communication skills, but feels the need to defend themselves constantly.
It’s due to this that so many bullies are able to make peace with what they do. They see threats and insults everywhere they look, and in their eyes, everyone else is asking for it. They lash out as a defense mechanism, and then often seek out ‘weaker’ victims to bolster their own sense of superiority.
This lack of self esteem can also foster a need to be in control of something. If they’ve had a tumultuous upbringing with a lot of big changes that were completely out of their control, they might lash out and assert their dominance over others as a means of coping.
Major changes and volatile circumstances can make a person feel vulnerable, and if the ability to be aggressive is there, they turn to others to victimize in an effort to protect themselves. By having a say in someone else’s day, it helps them cope with not having a say in their own.
The trouble is, bullying behavior is something that is developed over years and years of difficult circumstances, threatening parenting styles, and a lack of healthy social interactions. It could take years to correct.
Once these patterns of behavior in play, it’s difficult to reach the sensitive, vulnerable person underneath. However, one key point that’s worth mentioning is the power of suggestion. In many instances, people tend to become what society perceives them as.
If society perceives you as a bully, you’re more likely to become more like that person, and dig in your heels even further.
While it’s important to show our peers that this behavior is completely unacceptable, it’s also important to offer them the opportunity for a clean slate, and the chance to redeem themselves.

Bullies were someone necessary for me to mature. I was a scrawny little kid who hung out with people who did nothing to better themselves, so I got stuck in the loop. Harsh criticism sort of helped me develop myself and eventually find people who were pretty chill. But I guess I got lucky, as some schools, especially in the city, have more extreme cases of bullying and harassment that does anything but encourage maturing, instead it drives people further away from society.

But yeah, I love seeing it when parents take action when they find out their kids bully. Online or public harassment is a shitty way to go about it because it makes you no better than your kid. But in cases in which the parent knows and does nothing about it, or even encourages his kid to be mean to others is what's shitty. Reminds me of the jock in The Breakfast Club.

Bullies are made, not born, this behavior is typically fostered at a very young age. A difficult upbringing can result in low self esteem, which coupled with aggressive behavior can create a child who not only lacks communication skills, but feels the need to defend themselves constantly.
It’s due to this that so many bullies are able to make peace with what they do. They see threats and insults everywhere they look, and in their eyes, everyone else is asking for it. They lash out as a defense mechanism, and then often seek out ‘weaker’ victims to bolster their own sense of superiority.
This lack of self esteem can also foster a need to be in control of something. If they’ve had a tumultuous upbringing with a lot of big changes that were completely out of their control, they might lash out and assert their dominance over others as a means of coping.
Major changes and volatile circumstances can make a person feel vulnerable, and if the ability to be aggressive is there, they turn to others to victimize in an effort to protect themselves. By having a say in someone else’s day, it helps them cope with not having a say in their own.
The trouble is, bullying behavior is something that is developed over years and years of difficult circumstances, threatening parenting styles, and a lack of healthy social interactions. It could take years to correct.
Once these patterns of behavior in play, it’s difficult to reach the sensitive, vulnerable person underneath. However, one key point that’s worth mentioning is the power of suggestion. In many instances, people tend to become what society perceives them as.
If society perceives you as a bully, you’re more likely to become more like that person, and dig in your heels even further.
While it’s important to show our peers that this behavior is completely unacceptable, it’s also important to offer them the opportunity for a clean slate, and the chance to redeem themselves.

Couple that with the concept of depersonalizarion (anonymity from being behind a screen), and you basically become an untouchable bully.

I'm not sure how this would play in, but it would make the bully much less likely to want to cooperate or adhere to the social/forum etiquette/norms.

Maybe you (@Allybeboba) should start CBT sessions with a few of our trolls to find that event that caused their loss of control haha.

sM77zRs.jpg

It's funny you link this image.

In the EMS world, there is a specific face recognised by all care providers for people who commit suicide with a shotgun, or any long barrow weapon.

Although most humans do not possess the flexibility portrayed above, most people lean their chins onto the gun and pull the trigger.

However, this is the fun part. When you stretch your arm down to the trigger (remember, long gun), you naturally elongate your chin in an upwards motion. The end result is fascinating: only your jaw and nose gets shot off. And fortunately, the person rarely dies from those injuries.

I have an image saved from one of my Power Points if anyone would like to see. Just PM me :)

I was a bully before I got my ass kicked by a bigger fat kid who beat the breaks off me in sixth grade. Today, I help kids who get bullied by teaching them advanced self-defense techniques such as krav maga, in my garage.

It's funny you link this image.

In the EMS world, there is a specific face recognised by all care providers for people who commit suicide with a shotgun, or any long barrow weapon.

Although most humans do not possess the flexibility portrayed above, most people lean their chins onto the gun and pull the trigger.

However, this is the fun part. When you stretch your arm down to the trigger (remember, long gun), you naturally elongate your chin in an upwards motion. The end result is fascinating: only your jaw and nose gets shot off. And fortunately, the person rarely dies from those injuries.

I have an image saved from one of my Power Points if anyone would like to see. Just PM me :)

Wasn't there a character on American Horror Story that attempted this? I believe it was the "Freak Show" season.

I was a bully before I got my ass kicked by a bigger fat kid who beat the breaks off me in sixth grade. Today, I help kids who get bullied by teaching them advanced self-defense techniques such as krav maga, in my garage.
I remember the one time I got bullied. I bodily slammed him and held him down in a lying position with my teeth by his neck. I thereby became the alpha.

lol only noobs get bullied lmao like man up, hit some1 back like wtf u doing

I remember the one time I got bullied. I bodily slammed him and held him down in a lying position with my teeth by his neck. I thereby became the alpha.

You must mount him to show your dominance as the alpha male, if not you're gay ha

Reactions: Fry

Users who are viewing this thread