The macro/UI thread.

glancealot

Legend
I don't think we have one of these yet, we have good macros scattered around guides, video threads and other threads, but not a consolidated thread dedicated to macros.

I am a firm believer that, optimized / up-to-date macros as well as UI account for 49% of the success, (the other 49% comes from practice and experience and 2% comes from being talented/smart, 49+49+2=100)

Rules: this thread will be free of modifiers such as shift/control to keep things simple, because you can bind those modified keys in a stand alone way (e.g., you can have two icons, one bound to F, one bound to shift+F, etc.) Modifiers are basically "macro-slot" savers, they don't really improve your gameplay efficiency.

Keep in mind that it is impossible to have all macros here, as there are infinite ways to combine abilities, so each macro listed will have to bring forward a useful idea or fact. you may need to combine multiple ideas to form a single macro that works best for you.

1, 2-in-1, credit to @Chey

This one really is changing my gameplay significantly, I am now at least 30% more efficient than before.

With one key press, this macro will

Stop casting what you are currently casting (this step is helpful because it makes "fake casting" much easier to pull off), then

Use Noggenfogger Elixir and drop Poison Extraction Totem at your feet in front of you, slightly to the left (this item alone is worth faction switching to horde imo), then

If target or mouse-over is enemy, then cast A (replace A with your own ability)

If target or mouse-over is friendly, then cast B

if A/B don't even have CD, then you can #showtooltip Noggenfogger Elixir to keep track of how many you have left or #showtooltip Poison Extraction Totem to keep track of its CD or you can use #showtooltip, this way you know for sure which ability will be cast. change "#showtooltip A" to "#showtooltip B" if you want to display the CD of B instead of A.

If target and mouse-over are opposite, then mouse-over takes priority

Code:
#showtooltip A
/stopcasting
/use Noggenfogger Elixir
/use Poison Extraction Totem
/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] A; [@mouseover,help,nodead][@target,help] B; A

2, Double Bombing, credit to @Gandara

With 1 key press, this drops both your frag belt and Cobalt Frag Bomb at cursor (both will be successfully cast while moving)

It also uses Noggenfogger Elixir and drops Poison Extraction Totem

Again, it only requires 1 key press and it actually drops both bombs. Change @cursor to @player if you want to drop them at your location, instead of cursor.

Code:
#showtooltip
/use [@cursor] 6
/use [@cursor] Cobalt Frag Bomb
/use Noggenfogger Elixir

3, Conditional cast based on equipped weapon, credit to @tence

Please change Templar's Verdict and/or Shield of the Righteous to whatever is appropriate.

Note that, I have added /cast [help] word of glory to tence's macro, this way, you can save half a key, this button is basically your all-in-one finisher (that uses 3 holy power), it casts Templar's Verdict or Shield of the Righteous depending on what weapon you have on, it casts word of glory if you have a friendly target selected.

I am sure you can squeeze in @mouseover somewhere but I am not interested in ret enough to go through the hassle, the idea should be similar to the first macro above.

I am also having trouble getting the icon to switch based on the weapon equipped, if anyone can help out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [nohelp, equipped: two-hand] Templar's Verdict
/cast [nohelp, equipped: shields] Shield of the Righteous
/cast [help] word of glory

4, Double eating. credit to @tence

because you can eat both a darkmoon daggermaw and a mana cake, this lets you regen super fast with minimal downtime.

Code:
#showtooltip
/castsequence Darkmoon Daggermaw, Conjured Mana Pie

5, to be continued (sorry for the slow update speed, I personally test every macro before i post them)

Last edited:
useful ret macro vs melee

#showtooltip
/cast [worn:Two-hand] Templar's Verdict;
/cast [worn:Shields] Shield of the Righteous

• will cast templar's verdict if you have a 2h equipped, and shield of the righteous if you have a shield equipped.
useful eating macro (was more useful last xpac when circle of flame didnt exist)

#showtooltip
/castsequence Darkmoon Daggermaw, Conjured Mana Pie

• because you can eat both a darkmoon daggermaw and a mana cake, this lets you regen super fast with minimal downtime.

my personal focus macro I've used since like 2011

/clearfocus
/focus [@mouseover,nodead,exists]; [@target,exists]

• will clear the focus if no one is targetted, will make your mouseover the focus if a mouseover exists, and the target your focus if there is a target.
2h/shield+1h swap macro

#showtooltip
/equipslot 16 Runeblade of Baron Rivendare
/equipslot [noequipped:Shield] 17 Shipwrecker Shield of the Harmonious
/equipslot [noequipped:Shield] 16 Darkspeaker Scepter

• swaps between a 2h and a 1h + shield (obviously edit in your personal items
swap between enemy and friendly name plates showing

/run local a = GetCVar("nameplateShowFriends"); SetCVar("nameplateShowFriends",1-a); SetCVar("nameplateShowEnemies",a);

• nifty macro I found years ago that lets you toggle between displaying only enemy nameplates and only friendly nameplates

I'll see if I can find any other ones for pally that don't use modifiers (although modifiers are incredibly useful).

Last edited:
Lazy-Hunter Macro-suite

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl][@pet,dead] Revive Pet; [nopet] Call Pet 1; Mend Pet
/petassist

It should revive your pet if it's dead, call your pet if you didn't have one active, or heal your pet. For the cases when your pet is dead and inactive(not called), hold control when pressing to revive it.
(Found it on google a while back)

Edit:
/run SetTracking(9,true);SetTracking(9,false)
/run SetTracking(3,true);SetTracking(3,false)

Toggles Humanoid and Beast tracking. If you're farming ore or herbs its easy to miss nodes on the minimap because tracking can obscure the icons.
(found it on google)

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/stopcasting
/cast Ice Trap

Stops auto attack. You can put [@cursor] on the spell cast to avoid having to click on the ground, but I prefer it without.
/cast [@cursor] Ice Trap
This is more for MM: trapping and casting aimed shot will have your auto attack break the trap, rather than the aimed shot.
(Made it after failed trap-aimed bothered me)

/petpassive
/petfollow

Disengaging, no pun intended, from fights can leave your pet straggling and keep you in combat. If your pet got snagged by another hunters pet theyll start growling and locking each other up in combat...you may need to press this multiple times.

These may not seem powerful but they really help.

Last edited:
So I had a guildie ask a macro question today and i worked with him to kludge up the best solution we could, might as well post it here for posterity.

the challenge: an oshit button that castsequences survival of the fittest then exhiliration
the problem: survfit as a pet ability doesnt return spell success therefore the castsequence doesn't move to the next step

mucking around with some stuff, people say trying for delays in macros are either undoable or bannable, but i came up with this less-than-perfect but workable solution:

/cast survival of the fittest
/castsequence mend pet, exhiliration

no #showtooltip cuz it wouldn't work anyway. big downside is no visibility on exhil cd, but both spells can be put somewhere else on your ui where you can see even if that's not the buttons you're pressing.

survfit is instant and off gcd, so 1st buttonpress gets it and mend pet at the same time.
2nd press will get exhil, though the buttonui doesn't change to reflect this

i suspect if you were to let survfit's cd come up before you press it again for exhil, you'd then get both to go off at the same time like you would if you'da just had 2 /cast lines in a macro with both spells. but so long as you use exhil before survfit is up, i think it'd work well enough to get em on the same button in a rough approximation of a castsequence. i guess if mendpets on it's short cd when you use it that'd muck it up too. it WILL work to get a 2nd exhil out before survfit is up again tho.

oh, and at lvls high enough to get the command pet ability, that's a better solution than this.

Last edited:
credit to @Chey, who is single handedly changing the way I play!

this weakaura icon will activate and bounce up and down if you don't have flask buff, it will disappear once you use flask.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/weakauras-2

Code:
!WA:2!nnvWUTTrq0y4gKgDOaviWWOOOiWfW5MGTSRBsrZbrBAKKQylSuj2bPfIljhQDRxUl7UlLL8TOt9sVyG(buDUN0Nq(cwiu0pa)j4d9CNLYoW8a5ml35nV5nZSYHnlAM1m73)2z8uLmsvPtHV(E6XhNNBa7k6jln(R5uzktP7P4sBY(Hh1pKSivPezQZLrNZlH4pERBy2qGf4HlEQvZhoe0MVyt9nM)RUYahrlG4RmvjWiqAJQYZ5JNpy)or9he1VdPVgH5yPysmP(cjVaOcl7tb0tdyaKOEHD7oRsYTHJ5gRHDjTstLi2MFG89pBVD3Y)ENNv)(PtnLGq8Ymtds9vAe4JmPuqNa6ffuBkdmrm15hlxyQ)8AUXWLddStkbIh62ZYGeKS9Xd0ViSBVdFt3lRK3uznk)sAQLpc6V0)1Qm4VV31OGbAjv8wug4k57V(mak7GKj1sOwUIDPbe51cR7(ycmulMklWMHLlbgIXyAKWa(qM9dbcfn7)MIs4ad)cGDP3sGIIioXsfO2SgPOsy5nUQ(0bkKPuRsVXp(8aFo3mXxsc4HUwR9WysQGAmB62MCa5nV8a8m3oXK6i3O9wZY4yJjfHBsJRQtPxbptInN4R9(Clua)wf29ZyZVJZ6R8K7xZXlusGv(iVjmgfN7GawEFYE3)iWxnipAxoQ01AVPEbidTJjLuTDsS75XZ01AHx7DFojvju6xTk(mNlZv6cVukxRCD(qPsdhx6DnH(PLqTwPnXZZ1yBpYIqtxLCopZY(q5JUDOTpm2Ea3qteyTeqRSQ4zwv6OLnT1xzWFUbpRS5OocCmPaN2EI5XhII3zAFpht1EeJfPAJKCUKByncWp2geQOKr7T6wTE61l3Go0ZcFrKeTpjm8OeCpjNpCnTQMYBZAxXZMhf0TZV(QtJ2F870CPNfyVMk5llZ9C)0BDFtsPgWvZPa1udyGevB3jtncEgyvLlY8Zr41h4hGreWmLz(O)6OkaYHw2dckOCjIL7e3PU35ojjrvjtb37D)S7xEGR7D(18ACtuwRQ4M)Va1jSKUrS)QCKtw1qC6YVJFayszTpdM4ib(fUPlV2J3wNb5uCOI5cxDMNt86WBm92ErCWfkvrVpBRwB)DnnKDATBRTBo6Fo9)d

Last edited:
/cast survival of the fittest
/castsequence mend pet, exhiliration

no #showtooltip cuz it wouldn't work anyway. big downside is no visibility on exhil cd, but both spells can be put somewhere else on your ui where you can see even if that's not the buttons you're pressing.
Modifiers work for showtooltip
#showtooltip [mod:ctrl] Spell2 ; Spell1
Will show tooltip for spell1 and on control show spell2
These type of macros arent useful, though. It's never a good idea to blow all cooldowns within a few seconds. One is a DR and the other is a pet-HoT and finally the real oh-shit one on top. What if he oh-shits and needs the exhilerate first? That one gcd could mean he blew a cooldown and died anyway!

BTW, you can reset the cast sequence with reset=x where x is the number of seconds. You can also put other conditions like combat.

/castsequence reset=x spell1, spell2

Edit-Reply to below:
I see. Good on you, though, for making a macro you don't even like for your fellow orc.

It's such a weird request to want to sequence situational spells. Especially where one is a DR, meaning you do it before damage done to you, and the other a heal, so you hit it after damage is done; Spamming something like that would waste at-least one of em.

I've seen "null" used in multiple-sequence macros before, for all-in-one rogue poison macros. Perhaps that may be something to rig into it to get around the fact you cant have it wait or pause.

Like this:
/cast petSkill
/castsequence null, playerSpell

I can't recall the exact syntax of using null, though, so this may require extra research.

Last edited:
What if he oh-shits and needs the exhilerate first? That one gcd could mean he blew a cooldown and died anyway!

ya, i did notice this is the case lately.

i almost need a bubble button and a "drop flag and then bubble" button.

drop flag into bubble is just not enough sometimes.

2 keys for bubble, such a waste.

background: my macro has LoH in it (if i mouse over someone i cast LoH), so adding /cancelaura alliance flag at the beginning doesn't help, because what if i need to LoH someone when I have the flag?

I believe you can manipulate the cancelaura with conditionals to only happen when you LoH yourself.

Something like:
/cancelaura [notarget] spell

maybe nomouseover works too but I've never used mouseover macros as my healers so i cant confirm for pr against.

Edit: you need to add another one to recognize when you actually target yourself, too.
/cancelaura [cond1][cond2] spell

Last edited:
I believe you can manipulate the cancelaura with conditionals to only happen when you LoH yourself.

Something like:
/cancelaura [notarget] spell

maybe nomouseover works too but I've never used mouseover macros as my healers so i cant confirm for pr against.

smart, let me try that out.

Modifiers work for showtooltip
What if he oh-shits and needs the exhilerate first?

modifiers were my first suggestion. not what he wanted.
i guess he doesn't plan to exhil first.
it's not a macro i'd use, it's just the closest thing i could design to what the customer requested.
reset doesn't help because the castsequence doesn't advance at all for pet abilities.
that's why i posted this, there's other pet abilities and possible reasons why ppl might wanna fake them into simulated castsequences.

2, Double Bombing, credit to @Gandara

With 1 key press, this drops both your frag belt and Cobalt Frag Bomb at cursor (both will be successfully cast while moving)

It also uses Noggenfogger Elixir and drops Poison Extraction Totem

Again, it only requires 1 key press and it actually drops both bombs. Change @cursor to @player if you want to drop them at your location, instead of cursor.

Code:
#showtooltip
/use [@cursor] 6
/use [@cursor] Cobalt Frag Bomb
/use Noggenfogger Elixir

Does this still work?! I tried it and it only throws one bomb for me?!

and while we are here: What's the Point of the "Noggenfogger Elixir" and "Poison Extraction Totem" Spam?

Users who are viewing this thread