EU+US The Future of 49s

For obvious reasons, it is very difficult to find modern resources for the 40-49 bracket, so I thought I would get something started for any interested parties.

Legion, and thus the pre-patch, are imminent, and people will be looking once more to brackets that became impossible to sustain when experience was implemented into battlegrounds.

Current thinking about Legion (and what tests on the PTR have shown) is that every class is given a base stat template when they enter battlegrounds, modified by a character's average equipped ilvl. For every point of ilvl, a bonus .1% to all stats is applied. If the average ilvl of a 49 twink is 56, you will get a 5.6% stat bonus on top of the base stats everyone with your class possesses.

If the avg ilvl of a person leveling through the bracket is 45, the difference of stats separating a twink from a non-twink is approximately 1%.

I've done as much research as I could on the bracket to see what the highest possible ilvl attainable was, and the best I can come up with is between 56-57. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, the advantage available to you with the best in slot gear at 49 appears to be smaller than in any other bracket in the game (though it's worth noting that regardless of bracket, your advantage will be trivial).

Twinks in general will become extremely affordable, and attaining the BiS gear for battlegrounds is remarkably simple unless you are the type to go apecrap for a fraction of a percent of a stat.

- You have access to a few level 55s through loot bags for random dungeons, which are BiS.

- There is a quest immediately upon entering Winterspring that offers an ilvl 58 piece, which is BiS for either gloves or chest, depending on your class.

- For leather/plate wearers, Gruff in Un'Goro drops ilvl 55 BoE pants

- If we come to find that non-stat items contribute to PvP ilvl, this ilvl 90 head piece is BiS. Otherwise, plain old Engineering goggles

- ilvl 60 crafting rings bought from the jewelcrafting supplies are potentially BiS, being level 60, but it remains to be seen whether they will provide any stats

- ilvl 80 neck white item, or else ilvl 54 is the highest stat item to my knowledge

- Technically speaking, BiS trinkets might be Hook of the Master Angler and Defender of the Timber Maw. But the old PvP trinket and the trinket from this Winterspring Quest chain will probably net you the same stats for considerably less effort.

The rest is a little less significant. Heirlooms are ilvl 54 when you are at level 49, so they provide the same stats as any other ilvl 54 item. There are reports that heirlooms are bugged right now on the PTR, but I have no reason to assume they won't function as the same level they do now.

Offhand items are also unclear to me. For instance, there are a few items you can equip in your offhand, like bouquets, that may or may not provide stats. If they do, you should be able to obtain this ilvl 70 offhand. Whether or not it will have any effect on your stats at this level remains to be seen.

- Thanks to @Kirise for the additional gear info.

Last edited:
This makes me remanence about my old 49 from years and years back, we're talking before even twinking was really a thing lol.

I literally did my own research from thotbot, got every BIS slot. This is all OG, not a single heirloom on him. I only log on for nostalgia purposes and never play him, so much that I had him transferred to a new server to save space on my main for FREE when they had a character migration plan going on years back, and it's a Spanish speaking server haha. That's how hardcore I never f uck with him anymore because the bracket never happened after xpoff bullshit basically killed it

Armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nemesis/lines/advanced

From doing alot of pvp in 40-49 xp on over the past few weeks it seems it is full of noobs which dont really know how to pvp properly should be great for twinks and il be making 1 or 2 soon :)

Current thinking about Legion (and what tests on the PTR have shown) is that every class is given a base stat template when they enter battlegrounds, modified by a character's average equipped ilvl. For every point of ilvl, a bonus .1% to all stats is applied. If the average ilvl of a 49 twink is 56, you will get a 5.6% stat bonus on top of the base stats everyone with your class possesses.

Quick correction (unless things have changed): You get 0.1% bonus stats for every average ilvl above the bracket standard, which for 40-49 is ilvl 54. In other words, getting up to ilvl 64 (if that's even possible) will net a 1% increase in stats. But that's a technicality, and doesn't change your assertion that there will be maybe a 1% difference between twinks and non-twinks.

If you'll overlook my self-aggrandisement, here's the bracket guide I wrote several weeks ago:

http://www.xpoff.com/threads/49-legion-gear-prep-guide.67492/

I always welcome updates and corrections.

Quick correction (unless things have changed): You get 0.1% bonus stats for every average ilvl above the bracket standard, which for 40-49 is ilvl 54. In other words, getting up to ilvl 64 (if that's even possible) will net a 1% increase in stats. But that's a technicality, and doesn't change your assertion that there will be maybe a 1% difference between twinks and non-twinks.

If you'll overlook my self-aggrandisement, here's the bracket guide I wrote several weeks ago:

http://www.xpoff.com/threads/49-legion-gear-prep-guide.67492/

I always welcome updates and corrections.
That was the original theory, but at present, scaling doesn't appear to be in the test realm at all, and any ilvl equipment counts towards the total. Without level scaling, the aforementioned ilvl threshold doesn't appear to have any relevance.

Edit: Good info on the amulet and goggles, though. I overlooked those goggles because I saw 525 engineering.

Last edited:
I will def be playing every bracket come patch 7.0 to see which is the most fun.

That def includes this bracket which was fun in the past.

Today I pushed my wand using priest from 6% to 7% by hitting ilvl 61. I was right below it and at 6%, and then hit 61 barely and got 7% and most importantly a stat bump (if about 1%).

Anyone know what the cutoff is for non-wand users? Doesn't seem to just be the 4's in all brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread