The 39 Shadowlands BiS Gear Handbook

Community link -- https://blizzard.com/invite/kMlqELphB4Y , thank you @Req !​

Updated for 9.1.5.41359 (the gem squish)!

The Shadowlands level squish created a whole new gear selection for 39s. Depending on the number of sockets and secondary stats, most BiS gear comes from mythic Siege of Orgrimmar warforged drops (ilvl 47), scaled dungeon drops/quests (ilvl 45), or socketed green BoEs (ilvl 48), with some interesting exceptions.

This guide lists gear by class and spec (excluding grandfathered items, combining lists where possible, and omitting tank specs). Remember that Wowhead tooltips often do not show correctly scaled stats, and that many trinkets get a 75% nerf when entering instanced PvP. Listed trinkets should all bring full value in battlegrounds and arenas.

A HUGE thank-you to everyone who contributes to the making of this guide, shares their knowledge here and in the community channels, and helps newcomers answer complex questions about why a player would choose one piece of gear over another. A bracket is only as strong as the community who invests in staying accessible to newcomers, and I'm grateful to 39s for everyone's help. If you see any needed corrections, additions, deletions, etc., please let me know!

Priest, Mage, Warlock:
Head: Lightweight Retinal Armor, Ebon Ritual Hood, Flameslinger's Fiery Cowl, Hood of Perpetual Implosion, Hood of Swirling Senses, Iron Wolf Hood, Evoker's Helmet of Second Sight, socketed BoE green.
Neck: Talisman of the Breaker, socketed BoE green.
Shoulders: Ichor-Dripping Shoulderpads, Rime-Rift Shoulders, Shoulderpads of Dou Dou Chong, Shoulderpads of Pulsing Protection, Spaulders of Kor'kron Fealty, Duskhallow Mantle, socketed BoE green.
Back: socketed BoE green.
Chest: Akolik's Acid-Soaked Robes, Mantid Vizier's Robes, Robes of Riven Dreams, Robes of the Tendered Heart, Shock Pulse Robes, socketed BoE green.
Wrist: socketed BoE green.
Hands: Blight Hurlers, Bolt-Burster Grips, Earthripper Gloves, Fusespark Gloves, Montak's Grips of Scorching Breath, socketed BoE green.
Waist: Belt of Ominous Trembles, Belt of the Broken Pact, Miasmic Skullbelt, Sash of the Last Guardian, socketed BoE green + Living Steel Belt Buckle.
Legs: Pontiff's Pantaloons of Prophecy, socketed BoE green.
Feet: Slippers of Serenity, socketed BoE green.
Rings: socketed BoE Greens.
Trinkets: Inherited Insignia of the Horde/Alliance, Prismatic Prison of Pride, Purified Bindings of Immersius, Vial of the Sunwell, Mercy's Psalter (Alliance only), Pendant of the Violet Eye, socketed BoE green.
Weapons: Arcweaver Spell Sword, Rik'kal's Bloody Scalpel, socketed BoE green.
Offhands: Festering Primordial Globule, Juggernaut's Power Core, Purehearted Cricket Cage, Revelations of Y'Shaarj, socketed BoE green.
2H weapons:

Balance & Restoration Druid, Mistweaver Monk:

Rogue, Feral Druid, Windwalker Monk, Demon Hunter:
Head: Wastewalker Helm, Kor'kron Elite Skullmask, Druidic Helmet of Second Sight, Raven-Heart Headdress, socketed BoE green.
Neck: socketed BoE green.
Shoulders: Mantle of Perenolde.
Chest: Moonglade Robe, Lazahk's Lost Shadowrap, Robes of the Blackened Watcher, socketed BoE green.
Wrist: socketed BoE green.
Hands: Gloves of the Golden Protector, Korgra's Venom-Soaked Gauntlets, socketed BoE green.
Waist: Cord of Black Dreams, Damron's Belt of Darkness, socketed BoE green + Living Steel Belt Buckle.
Legs: Moonchild Leggings, Wastewalker Leggings (use only with matching helm), socketed BoE green.
Feet: Boots of Resuscitation, Boots of the Shifting Sands, socketed BoE green.
Rings: socketed BoE greens.
Trinkets: Inherited Insignia of the Horde/Alliance, Assurance of Consequence, Kihra's Adrenaline Injector, Kyrak's Vileblood Serum, Tharbek's Lucky Pebble, Mercy's Psalter (Alliance only), Pendant of the Violet Eye, socketed BoE greens.
Rogue Weapons:
Druid Weapons: Kiril, Fury of Beasts.
Windwalker Weapons: Souldrinker, Revenger.
Demon Hunter Weapons: Souldrinker, Revenger.

Elemental Shaman, Restoration Shaman:

Hunter, Enhancement Shaman:

Holy Paladin:
Head: Specialized Retinal Armor, Greathelm of the Warchief, Rage-Blind Greathelm, Crown of Boastful Words, Gaze of Echoing Despair, Helm of Sanctification, Overlord's Helmet of Second Sight, Hope Bearer Helm, socketed BoE green.
Neck: Talisman of the Breaker, socketed BoE green.
Shoulders: Tusks of Mannoroth.
Chest: Chestplate of Fallen Passion, Terrorguard Chestplate, Icy Blood Chestplate, The Exarch's Protector, Breastplate of the Bold, socketed BoE green.
Wrist: Soul Redeemer Bracers, socketed BoE green.
Hands: Gauntlets of Insane Calculations, Grips of the Fallen Council, Faith-Bearer's Gauntlets, Ironblade Gauntlets, socketed BoE green.
Waist: Great Belt of Living Waters, Plate Belt of the War-Healer, Studded Girdle of Virtue, socketed BoE green + Living Steel Belt Buckle.
Legs: Greaves of the Martyr, Legplates of Unthinking Strife, Legplates of Willful Doom, socketed BoE green.
Feet: Hypersensitive Sollerets, Lightning-Walker Clawfeet, Sha'tari Wrought Greaves, socketed BoE green.
Rings: socketed BoE greens.
Trinkets: Inherited Insignia of the Horde/Alliance, Prismatic Prison of Pride, Purified Bindings of Immersius, Vial of the Sunwell, Mercy's Psalter (Alliance only), Pendant of the Violet Eye, socketed BoE green.
Weapons: Arcweaver Spell Sword, Horned Mace of the Old Ones, Kardris' Scepter, Battle-Mace of the High Priestess, socketed BoE green.
Shields: Ancient Mogu Tower Shield, Norushen's Enigmatic Barrier, Visage of the Monstrous, socketed BoE green.

Warrior, Retribution Paladin, Death Knight:
Head: Reinforced Retinal Armor, Greathelm of the Warchief, Helm of the Night Watchman, Rage-Blind Greathelm, Thranok's Shattering Helm, Helm of Sanctification, Overlord's Helmet of Second Sight, Hope Bearer Helm, Warhelm of the Bold, Horns of the Illidari, socketed BoE green.
Neck: socketed BoE green.
Shoulders: Tusks of Mannoroth.
Chest: Breastplate of Shamanic Mirrors, Chestplate of Congealed Corrosion, Earthbreaker's Steaming Chestplate, Icy Blood Chestplate, The Exarch's Protector, Breastplate of the Bold, socketed BoE green.
Wrist: Bracers of Destructive Strength, socketed BoE green.
Hands: Calixian Bladebreakers, Corruption-Rotted Gauntlets, Shockstriker Gauntlets, Tar-Coated Gauntlets, Faith-Bearer's Gauntlets, Ironblade Gauntlets, Gauntlets of the Bold, socketed BoE green.
Waist: Ashen Wall Girdle, Demolisher's Reinforced Belt, Poisonbinder Girth, Untarnishable Greatbelt, Girdle of the Immovable, Studded Girdle of Virtue, socketed BoE green + Living Steel Belt Buckle.
Legs: Greaves of the Martyr, Legplates of Unthinking Strife, Legplates of Willful Doom, socketed BoE green.
Feet: Lightning-Walker Clawfeet, Sabatons of the Superior Being, Sha'tari Wrought Greaves, Sunstrider Warboots, Ascendant's Boots, socketed BoE green.
Rings: socketed BoE Greens.
Trinkets: Inherited Insignia of the Horde/Alliance, Thok's Tail Tip, Kyrak's Vileblood Serum, Tharbek's Lucky Pebble, Ember of Nullification, Mercy's Psalter (Alliance only), Pendant of the Violet Eye.
Weapons: Shadowmourne, Crow Wing Reaper, Singing Crystal Axe, Bonereaver's Edge, Souldrinker, Revenger.

How do I get Siege of Orgrimmar mythic warforged gear?

Have a level 46+ character run you through Mythic SoO, and hope that a boss drops the piece of gear you want, then hope that it warforges. For organized raid farms, players may reserve armor classes i.e. they will bring one plate 39, one leather 39, etc. Keep an eye on community channels for raiding opportunities.

For each SoO boss, you can get an extra loot roll via a Warforged Seal, gained by collecting Lesser Charms of Good Fortune throughout Pandaria, and turning them in for either the Horde quest or Alliance quest.

Note that some SoO trinkets claim to boost secondary stats by 1%; in fact they boost secondary stat rating by almost 10% except for crit, which instead increases the power of crit itself. In other words, these particular SoO trinkets can easily boost a stacked secondary stat by 5%.

How do I get these green socketed BoEs?

Either the auction house or farming Legion or BfA mobs. In fact, higher level characters farming Legion areas for green socketed BoEs for 20s, can also get green socketed BoEs for 39s if the higher level characters farm in the right zone.

Different mobs hold different loot tables, and thus drop different gear. Some particular gear does not offer particular primary stats, but all slots do offer gear for all stats e.g. some gear may not have int, but that slot does offer int pieces. Sockets only appear occasionally, as do tertiary stats, of which speed and leech serve the only useful purposes for random battlegrounds (tertiaries currently do not function in arenas nor wargames). Therefore, finding a BoE you want with the right secondary stats, a socket, and a worthwhile tertiary stat can pose a considerable challenge. Some epic BoE drops offer single secondary stats, and the total comes out the same as a single secondary stat ring e.g. Fran's Intractable Loop is the same as a green BoE "of the Impatient" ring.

Possible stat allocations of uncommon/green (and epic) BoEs (ilvl 48 except weapons and offhands at ilvl 45):

Head: 14 primary, 20 stam, 26-27 secondary, socket, 12 tertiary
Neck: 11 stam, 47-48 secondary, socket, 8 tertiary
Shoulders: 10 primary, 15 stam, 20-21 secondary, socket, 9 tertiary
Back: 8 primary, 11 stam, 15-16 secondary, socket, 6 tertiary
Chest: 14 primary, 20 stam, 26-27 secondary, socket, 12 tertiary
Wrist: 8 primary, 11 stam, 15-16 secondary, socket, 6 tertiary
Hands: 10 primary, 15 stam, 20-21 secondary, socket, 9 tertiary
Waist: 10 primary, 15 stam, 20-21 secondary, socket, 9 tertiary
Legs:
14 primary, 20 stam, 26-27 secondary, socket, 12 tertiary
Feet: 10 primary, 15 stam, 20-21 secondary, socket, 9 tertiary
Rings: 11 stam, 47-48 secondary, socket, 8 tertiary
Trinkets: 13 primary, 19 secondary, socket, 9 tertiary
Main Hand & Wands: 6 primary (35 int), 9 stam, 12 secondary, socket, 5 tertiary
Offhand/Shields: 6 primary (19 int), 9 stam, 12 secondary, socket, 5 tertiary
Two Hand & Ranged: 12 primary (54 int), 18 stam, 23-25 secondary, socket, 10 tertiary

Enchantments for all slots, see @Swoops ' magnificent enchanting spreadsheet.

Gems, go for either rare Pandaria gems or epic Cataclysm gems.

Last edited:
This guide gives us a good start, and it needs refinement from players who know more than I do about stat priorities for a given class and spec. Note especially that we need info for leather melee weapons and offhands.

Did I forget a piece of gear? Do you see a piece of gear that doesn't belong on the list because none of the associated classes prioritize a stat featured on that piece of gear? Reply here with the gear and an explanation, and let's get this guide polished!

the Sovereign Tanzanite (5 str, 6 stam) from heroic Shattered Halls, the Timeless Tanzanite (5 int, 6 stam) from heroic Black Morass, and the Delicate Queen's Garnet (4 agi), a gem sourced from the Dragon Soul raid. Depending on the number of sockets and secondary stats, most BiS gear comes from mythic Siege of Orgrimmar warforged drops (ilvl 47), scaled dungeon drops/quests (ilvl 45), or socketed green BoEs (ilvl 48), with some interesting exceptions.

with regard to mm hunters, first choice consider Masterful Argulite (7 mast), then Adept Lava Coral (2 agil/2 mast). Masterful Argulite requires ilvl44 gears or higher, so that leaves only SoO heroic and mythic gears (ilvl45-47).

while intel and str class have 5primary6stam gems from lvl30-49, which increased their health substantially, hunters will have a significantly lower health correspondingly, so compensate it by staying out of their reach while keeping them within your attack range. mastery stat should be taken as almost equal to agil 1 is to 1, in pure damage wise agil is a little bit more than mast, but mast provides increase attack range.

a lvl39 ilvl47 Demar's Band of Amore (there is also a chance for socket + leech) will provide 11 stam 46 mast, Armored Elekk Tusk should be a standard item on mm hunters, can also consider Ticking Ebon Detonator because it has a fix mastery stat on top of an agil proc, when using TED, only the first 4-5 seconds will be useful, so have to time mm abilities within that window period.

if the boe greens bracer or hand/glove you are using has sockets (and if you use a +7 mast gem) then it will be better than a tsunami 2 pc set that gives a bonus of 13 mast.

all mm gears should aim for maximum mastery, try to squeez out every point of mastery you can find.

i will experiment a lvl38 Fizzlebang's Folly when i start playing 30s hunter, it is an intel trinket, but it procs 151 mast for 10 seconds, i have no idea what effect it has on a mm. its mastery proc is second only to Armored Elekk Tusk, while AET is a use trinket, Fizzle is an equip, for a mm with full Masterful Argulite socketed, any of these 2 trinket proc will constitute an additional of about 75% more mastery EACH, need to test the following: fizz proc, activate AET, it will gives enough time to drink saltwater, launch 1 sniper shot that takes out 20% of target's health and further increase your range by another 40% (2.8sec), 1 aim shot(2.4sec), and 1 rapid fire (1.9sec), [if the target is alive (when they are fully 5primary6stam gem geared) and doesnt run away, you might still be able to release 1 more aim shot], with streamline talent, at a range i believe to be somewhere on the higher side of 70+ yards. these 2 trinkets with character's gear base mastery, gives around 500 mastery when you launch your attack. 500 mast is a really nasty figure for a mm.

Last edited:
with regard to mm hunters, first choice consider Masterful Argulite (7 mast), then Adept Lava Coral (2 agil/2 mast). Masterful Argulite requires ilvl44 gears or higher, so that leaves only SoO heroic and mythic gears (ilvl45-47).

Alas, the argulite suffers from the same tooltip issues as other higher gems. It says +7 mas in the AH and even in our bags, but once you socket the gem, it changes to its actual +4 mastery. Would some hunters still want to gem full mastery over agility?

All 39 hunter gear comes from dungeon drops, SoO, and ilvl 48 BoEs i.e. nothing below ilvl 45, so 39 hunters could gem head to toe in argulites if they wanted.

a lvl39 ilvl47 Demar's Band of Amore (there is also a chance for socket + leech) will provide 11 stam 46 mast

That's true, I'll note that in the BoE section.

Armored Elekk Tusk should be a standard item on mm hunters

I was told that trinket suffers from the 75% debuff in instanced PvP that some trinkets encounter.

can also consider Ticking Ebon Detonator because it has a fix mastery stat on top of an agil proc

I'll definitely include that if we can get it tested in an arena to make sure it gets the full proc in instanced PvP.

i will experiment a lvl38 Fizzlebang's Folly when i start playing 30s hunter

Definitely want to hear the results!

Alas, the argulite suffers from the same tooltip issues as other higher gems. It says +7 mas in the AH and even in our bags, but once you socket the gem, it changes to its actual +4 mastery. Would some hunters still want to gem full mastery over agility?
Oh yeah, I forgotten gem scale too.. lol cos I have not used it on any 30s yet, it is +7 on lvl44 hunter.. Let me try and check what's the number of mast on lvl30s. If it's +4mast then a +2agil/2 mast orange gem is better

Update: on a lvl35 to lvl40 it is +4 mastery.. Only from lvl41 onwards it shows +7 mastery. So sadly this gem is out, only option left is 2agil2mast now, lava coral and ember topaz
[doublepost=1615869190,1615867044][/doublepost]Life is gonna be tough for agil players in the 30s bracket.. A frost dk which is a non tank will already be around 10k health, that's almost double a hunter's health, once 6 stam gems are used in every socket, health just goes all the way up

Oh yeah, I forgotten gem scale too.. lol cos I have not used it on any 30s yet, it is +7 on lvl44 hunter.. Let me try and check what's the number of mast on lvl30s. If it's +4mast then a +2agil/2 mast orange gem is better

Update: on a lvl35 to lvl40 it is +4 mastery.. Only from lvl41 onwards it shows +7 mastery. So sadly this gem is out, only option left is 2agil2mast now, lava coral and ember topaz
[doublepost=1615869190,1615867044][/doublepost]Life is gonna be tough for agil players in the 30s bracket.. A frost dk which is a non tank will already be around 10k health, that's almost double a hunter's health, once 6 stam gems are used in every socket, health just goes all the way up
Frost DK with full gems will only have ablut 8500 HP, but yea they’re at a big disadvantage

This axe has no sockets at all? Only haste proc?
That Axe has a MASSIVE Haste proc and scale as high as 48 (confirmed) but probably 49. The Haste proc at 48 is as high as most Level 60 gear.

Would an enh shaman use this, or would they stick with two one-handers?
tenor.gif

Time to dust off my old Wotlk - Cata - Mop main warr it seems
edit: I haven't run any sims but having Shadowmourne fully gemmed and comparing it to Mythic SoO heirloom from Garrosh or the one I'm using in my MH I gotta stay its pretty trash having only 6.5 DPS compared to 9.2, especially in Arms spec its a huge dps loss
Edit 2: Also with all the lvl and ilvl squishes that happened its actually worth having a cancelaura macro to remove your shadowmourne proc once it reaches 10 stacks since you get more STR right before it fully procs for 14str, so at 7 Stacks its the same , at 8 and 9 you're doing more DPS, then at 10 you proc the useless 20dmg AoE and get 14str which you wanna cancel asap. Quite a meme and useless weapon nowdays sadly

Last edited:
That Axe has a MASSIVE Haste proc and scale as high as 48 (confirmed) but probably 49. The Haste proc at 48 is as high as most Level 60 gear.
Hmmm.. I rarely seen anyone using this.. Dks and paly are the only 2 melee classes I play, maybe I will try it on my ret but it doesn't feel right to use it on my frost dk, using this on my frost would mean losing out 4 gem sockets, thats 20str/24stam

Users who are viewing this thread