Hello fishermen and fisherladies!

In the past few weeks, I have had a lot of people come up to me wondering how my level 10 was able to get the Arcanite Fishing Pole, the Dread Pirate Ring and all the other goodies that come from the tournament, and actually being able to beat 100s to it on my own. Hopefully after this guide, you will have a clear idea of when, where and what to do next Sunday. This guide is not magic, it will not increase the drop chance of Keefer's Angelfish, nor will it influence the Gods of Tastyfish pools from swirling up to your feet.

However, in this guide I will explain:

• Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza 101
  • The process of getting ready
  • Pool locations
  • Meeting the fishies
  • Lucky Fishing Hat
I hope you guys have a good, and knowledgeable read :)

Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza 101

To begin, the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza is a weekly fishing competition that takes place in both provinces of Stranglethorn Vale (Northern Stranglethorn and The Cape of Stranglethorn). Once the server clock dings 2:00 PM, fishers are encouraged to cast away in any schools of fish and wreckages that they can find in any of the two provinces mentioned previously. The goal of the competition is to be one of the first three players to fish up 40 Speckled Tastyfish and hand them in to Riggle Bassbait, who is located in Booty Bay. This usually takes 20-25 minutes depending on server activity.

Completing the fishing tournament will earn you an achievement, and different prizes depending in which position you finish in:
Grand Prize (access to ONE of all the rewards)
Second Place (access to ONE of all the rewards BUT the fishing pole and trinket)
Third Place (access to the fishing lure)

The Process of Getting Ready

Before heading out to the competition, make sure you are logged onto the toon you are going to fish on roughly 25-30 minutes prior to the start. This will allow you to take your time and make sure you have everything you need. The basic items needed for this competition are as follows:
  • A fishing pole
  • A lure
  • Atleast 5 free slots in your inventory
  • A Hearthstone
  • Find Fish ability
Once you have gotten all these items, head down to Booty Bay by either swimming from Westfall, or taking the boat from Ratchet. You MUST not forget to set your hearthstone to Booty Bay's Inn. From there you may head out (stress-free) to either Grom'Gold Base Camp (for Horde), or Fort Livingston (for Alliance). The reason I have not spoken about finding a level 100 with a 2-3-4-5 person mount is because this method provides the fisher with a safe spot.

Pool Locations

Once you have arrived to Fort Livingston or Grom'Gold base Camp, you will want to head towards the broken set of small islands on the west coast as shown in this following picture:
fishing-location-jpg.1848

There are 6-7 pool spawns around this location, which are all safe. You may go run around at your own risk further along the coast while waiting for the pools to respawn. The pools themselves around this location spawn quite quickly; by the time you have finished fishing one, another will have spawned. So that's that!

At this point, all that is left to do is cast away and loot 40 tastyfish and rush back to Booty Bay by using your Hearthstone! :)

Meeting The Fishies

While fishing for your 40 tastyfish, you may come across three rare fish. Keefer's Angelfish, Dezian Queenfish, and Brownell's Blue Stripped Racer. These three guys are very hard to come by as they all roughly hover around a 0.1% drop rate. Although these fish all seem so desirable, the most popular one amongst twinks is Keefer's Angelfish. This fish is the criteria to obtain the Lucky Fishing Hat!

Lucky Fishing Hat

If the only reason you are fishing is for acquiring a Lucky Fishing Hat, your task will be less stressful since fishing extremely fast is not your main priority as it was for the tournament. As mentioned in the above section, the Lucky Fishing Hat is obtained through exchanging a Keefer's Angelfish to Fishbot 5000 located in Booty Bay on Sundays.

The ideal path to take when fishing on a twink would be to use the above mentioned location as your home base (B), then move North until the Troll Island (A) and come back, then move South until the Oil Rigs (C) and come back.

So your path would look like this : B -> A -> B -> C -> B -> repeat

The fish itself roughly has a 0.1% drop rate in any schools of fish in Stranglethorn Vale throughout the 2 hour tournament. From information gathered from several other twinks who obtained the hat, on average it will take between 2-4 tournaments (or 2-4 weeks) to fish up Keefer's Angelfish. However, this implies that you fish for the full duration (2 hours) of the fishing tournament.

A lot of twinks get discouraged by the end of the first hour and simply give up for the week; significantly reducing their chances of fishing up Keefer. If you do this, do not be surprised if it takes you months on end before getting it.

Final Thoughts

To be extra safe about winning the competition, you can always ask a friend to invite your twink to his/her realm. Some realms might have fewer players fishing; more pools for you! However, do not be fooled! You will still compete against the players of your actual realm. Merging your twink to another realm will just facilitate the process of acquiring the Tastyfish.

So with time, patience and a little bit of luck, you will be rewarded with what you came for! :)

Happy fishing!

How long would it take to get the fishing hat on my 10 do you think ?

I'm Aisling! XD this is your fault @Deej

i think i heard it during one of wowhead panzer's videos? Basically nothing has been announced but it's speculated that it will be released before the first micro holiday (scarab gong). Plus im pretty sure the dibbles anniversary event is that month too.

Users who are viewing this thread