Sponsor

Achievement Hunting
Join XPOFF Discord Here
*****Classic ERA WoW*****

The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza

Hello fishermen and fisherladies!

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their continuous support for this guide, as it is my most worked piece on XpOff. Some of you will notice this guide has drastically changed, as I have completely reworked this guide to be PURELY for Classic WoW. I realized this guide has been out of date for Retail WoW (as of patch 8.3) and the event itself is somewhat irrelevant to twinks now. Have a good read :)

It is now time to finally fish for our Lucky Fishing Hats and Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots! Whether you are veteran twinks, private server experts, or beginner twinks, I truly hope everyone will find something helpful in this guide. Hopefully after this guide, you will have a clear idea of when, where and what to do next Sunday during the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza.
This guide is not magic, it will not increase the drop chance of Keefer's Angelfish, nor will it influence the Gods of Tastyfish pools from swirling up to your feet.

However, in this guide I will explain:

1. Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza 101
  2. The process of getting ready
  3. Pool locations
  4. Meeting the fishies
  5. Lucky Fishing Hat & Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots
  6. Where should I fish?
I hope you guys have a good, and knowledgeable read :)

1. Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza 101

To begin, the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza is a weekly fishing competition that takes place in the entire Stranglethorn Vale zone. Once the server clock dings 2:00 PM, fishers are encouraged to cast away in any schools of fish and wreckages that they can find on the eastern or western shoreline. The goal of the competition is to be the first player on your Realm to fish up 40 Speckled Tastyfish and hand them in to Riggle Bassbait, who is located in Booty Bay.

Completing the fishing tournament quest (Grand Prize!) will earn you a choice to one of the following prizes:

2. The Process of Getting Ready

Before heading out to the competition, I would strongly suggest travelling down to Booty Bay beforehand, in order to obtain the flight path and set your hearthstone to the corresponding inn. On the day of the event, make sure you are logged onto the toon you are going to fish on roughly 25-30 minutes prior to the start. This will allow you to take your time and make sure you have everything you need. The basic items needed for this competition are as follows:
  • Minimum 130 Fishing skill to catch fish in STV
  • A fishing pole
  • A lure (Aquadynamic Fish Attractor or Bright Bauble)
  • At least 5 free slots in your inventory
  • A Hearthstone
  • A buddy to protect/secure fishing nodes
Once you have gotten all this, head down to Booty Bay by either swimming from Westfall, or taking the boat from Ratchet. You MUST not forget to set your hearthstone to Booty Bay's Inn. From there you may head out (stress-free) and compete!

3. Pool Locations

Once you have arrived in Stranglethorn Vale you will realize how vast the coastline is. To simplify things for all of you, here is a map of where Speckled Tasty Fish pools spawn:

STV Fishing MAP.jpg

The yellow line indicates where you can fish when you have a buddy who can protect your twink. You can always solo it at your own risk, of course. There is not a "better" coast to fish on. It really comes down to preference. Western coast has mainly melee mobs, while the east coast has Defias Mages.

The red circle (north west corner) indicates the location of Yojamba Isle. This island is renowned amongst twinks for being the only safe spot to fish on as a twink prior to the Shattering. If you are a casual twink that does not have access to high level friends, or you just want to be semi-afk while fishing, this spot is for you! Easiest way to access this island is to swim down from Westfall (Alliance), or use the zeppelin to Grom'Gol Base Camp from either Under City or Orgrimmar (Horde).

The pools themselves (https://classic.wowhead.com/object=180248/school-of-tastyfish) spawn quite quickly; by the time you have finished fishing one, another will have spawned nearby. The more people that compete on your realm, the faster the pools will spawn. For this reason, it is strongly discouraged to simply run in one direction, as you will be missing out on freshly spawned pools behind you. It is better to have the monopoly of a specific area than keep running straight with the pack and miss out on a lot of casts.

At this point, all that is left to do is cast away and hope for some rare fish! :)

4. Meeting The Fishies

While fishing for your 40 tastyfish, you may come across three rare fish. Keefer's Angelfish, Dezian Queenfish, and Brownell's Blue Stripped Racer. These three guys are very hard to come by as they all roughly hover around a 0.1% drop rate. Although these fish all seem so desirable, the most popular one amongst twinks is Keefer's Angelfish. This fish is the criteria to obtain the Lucky Fishing Hat!

5. Lucky Fishing Hat & Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots

Lucky Fishing Hat

If the only reason you are fishing is for acquiring a Lucky Fishing Hat, your task will be less stressful since fishing extremely fast is not your main priority as it was for the tournament. As mentioned in the above section, the Lucky Fishing Hat is obtained through exchanging a Keefer's Angelfish to Fishbot 5000 located in Booty Bay on Sundays (Quest grants 0 exp).

The fish itself roughly has a 0.1-0.2% drop rate in any schools of Tastyfish on Stranglethorn Vale's coastline (see image above). The fish drops throughout the entirety of the event EVEN if someone has won. From information gathered from several other twinks who obtained the hat, on average it will take between 2-4 tournaments (or 2-4 weeks) to fish up Keefer's Angelfish.

Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots

If you are here to get your BiS stam boots, you will be fishing for Brownell's Blue Striped Racer. Similarly to the above mentioned rare fish, Brownell's has a 0.1-0.2% fish rate during the event. It is the requirement for https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=8225/rare-fish-brownells-blue-striped-racer quest that rewards the Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots (Quest grants 0 exp)

6.Where should I fish?

Map provided by @cathy
FISHIN.jpg

The location you will be fishing in will differ depending on how committed to the event you want to be. I can only divide it into 2 options:

Hardcore/World-First LFH:

If you want the odds to be in your favour and want to bang it all out hopefully in 1 event, you will want to choose between either one of the 2 coastlines as shown in the pictures above.

Laid-Back/Soccer Dad:
On the other hand, if you want a calmer, relaxed approach where you do not mind grinding out multiple weekends, stick around on Yojamba Isle (top left red circle on map).

7. Final Thoughts

To be extra efficient during the competition, please avoid any unnecessary PVP. Killing other players will only put a large target on your back, while also slowing down your fishing efforts drastically.

Swiftness Potions, Swimming Speed Potions and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=13620/enchant-gloves-fishing can also be helpful to increase your efficiency across STV.

So with time, patience and a little bit of luck, you will be rewarded with what you came for! :)

Happy fishing!

Updated for Classic - 20/04/08

Last edited:
adlPnZ0.png

You are going to want/need the fish finding ability in addition to what the guide reccomends. With fish finding, a good route, and your hearth set you have a very good chance as a 20 for first place. I need to go win it a few more times.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to want/need the fish finding ability in addition to what the guide reccomends. With fish finding, a good route, and your hearth set you have a very good chance as a 20 for first place. I need to go win it a few more times.

Yes that completely slipped my mind, thanks! :)

added it into the list of items needed :cool:

lure and fishing pole is useless. fishing skill only plays a role in fishing outside pools.

Do a lot of people do this still? It's been a very long time since I have, but I'm wanting to get back to it! How hard is it to come in first or second place?

Do a lot of people do this still? It's been a very long time since I have, but I'm wanting to get back to it! How hard is it to come in first or second place?

Not many 90s do this anymore, but it all depends of your realm.

Its quite easy to win the competitions, I have won first place on my lvl 10 twink, and 2nd on my 20 trial without any help using this method.

If you want to be extra careful, you could merge yourself to a dead server to get more schools to fish in :)

Not many 90s do this anymore, but it all depends of your realm.

Its quite easy to win the competitions, I have won first place on my lvl 10 twink, and 2nd on my 20 trial without any help using this method.

If you want to be extra careful, you could merge yourself to a dead server to get more schools to fish in :)

Thank you so much! :)

Users who are viewing this thread