General STV Fishing Tourny: A Guide for Low Level tinks

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Sponsor, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Sponsor
    The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza

Hello fishermen and fisherladies!

In the past, I have had a lot of people come up to me wondering how my level 10 was able to get the Hook of the Master Angler, Arcanite Fishing Pole, the Dread Pirate Ring and all the other goodies that come from the tournament, and actually being able to beat 110s to it on my own. Hopefully after this guide, you will have a clear idea of when, where and what to do next Sunday. This guide is not magic, it will not increase the drop chance of Keefer's Angelfish, nor will it influence the Gods of Tastyfish pools from swirling up to your feet.

However, in this guide I will explain:

• Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza 101
    • The process of getting ready
    • Pool locations
    • Meeting the fishies
    • Lucky Fishing Hat & Hook of the Master Angler
    • Where should I fish?
    I hope you guys have a good, and knowledgeable read :)

Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza 101

To begin, the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza is a weekly fishing competition that takes place in both provinces of Stranglethorn Vale (Northern Stranglethorn and The Cape of Stranglethorn). Once the server clock dings 2:00 PM, fishers are encouraged to cast away in any schools of fish and wreckages that they can find in any of the two provinces mentioned previously. The goal of the competition is to be one of the first 50 players in your Region to fish up 40 Speckled Tastyfish and hand them in to Riggle Bassbait, who is located in Booty Bay. This usually takes 20-25 minutes depending on server activity.

Completing the fishing tournament quest (Grand Prize!) will earn you an achievement, and a choice to one of the following prizes:

The Process of Getting Ready

Before heading out to the competition, make sure you are logged onto the toon you are going to fish on roughly 25-30 minutes prior to the start. This will allow you to take your time and make sure you have everything you need. The basic items needed for this competition are as follows:
    • A fishing pole
    • A lure
    • At least 5 free slots in your inventory
    • A Hearthstone
    • Find Fish ability
    Once you have gotten all these items, head down to Booty Bay by either swimming from Westfall, or taking the boat from Ratchet. You MUST not forget to set your hearthstone to Booty Bay's Inn. From there you may head out (stress-free) to either Grom'Gold Base Camp (for Horde), or Fort Livingston (for Alliance). The reason I have not spoken about finding a level 110 with a 2-3-4-5 person mount is because this method provides the fisher with a safe spot.

Pool Locations

Once you have arrived to Fort Livingston or Grom'Gol base Camp, you will want to head towards the broken set of small islands on the west coast as shown in this following picture:
    [​IMG]

There are 6-7 pool spawns around this location, which are all safe. You may go run around at your own risk further along the coast while waiting for the pools to respawn. The pools themselves around this location spawn quite quickly; by the time you have finished fishing one, another will have spawned. So that's that!

At this point, all that is left to do is cast away and hope for some rare fish! :)

Meeting The Fishies

While fishing for your 40 tastyfish, you may come across three rare fish. Keefer's Angelfish, Dezian Queenfish, and Brownell's Blue Stripped Racer. These three guys are very hard to come by as they all roughly hover around a 0.1% drop rate. Although these fish all seem so desirable, the most popular one amongst twinks is Keefer's Angelfish. This fish is the criteria to obtain the Lucky Fishing Hat!

Lucky Fishing Hat & Hook of the Master Angler

Lucky Fishing Hat

If the only reason you are fishing is for acquiring a Lucky Fishing Hat, your task will be less stressful since fishing extremely fast is not your main priority as it was for the tournament. As mentioned in the above section, the Lucky Fishing Hat is obtained through exchanging a Keefer's Angelfish to Fishbot 5000 located in Booty Bay on Sundays.

The fish itself roughly has a 0.1% drop rate in any schools of fish in Stranglethorn Vale throughout the 2 hour tournament. From information gathered from several other twinks who obtained the hat, on average it will take between 2-4 tournaments (or 2-4 weeks) to fish up Keefer's Angelfish. However, this implies that you fish for the full duration (2 hours) of the fishing tournament.

A lot of twinks get discouraged by the end of the first hour and simply give up for the week, significantly reducing their chances of fishing up Keefer. If you do this, do not be surprised if it takes you months on end before getting it.

Hook of the Master Angler

If you are here to get your BiS trinket for your twink, the
    Hook of the Master Angler, your task will be more complicated as you need to be one of the first 50 players to finish the Grand Prize! quest in your Region to be legible for the trinket.

Where should I fish?

If you are here to get your Trinket and win the competition, the following route is for you. The ideal path to take when fishing on a twink would be to use the set of broken isles south of Grom'Gol as your home base (B), then move North until the Troll Island (A) and come back, then move South until the Oil Rigs (C) and come back.

So your path would look like this : B -> A -> B -> C -> B -> repeat

Final Thoughts

To be extra safe about winning the competition, you can always ask a friend to invite your twink to his/her realm. Some realms might have fewer players fishing; more pools for you! However, do not be fooled! You will still compete against the players of your Region. Merging your twink to another realm will just facilitate the process of acquiring the Tastyfish.

So with time, patience and a little bit of luck, you will be rewarded with what you came for! :)

Happy fishing!

Updated for Legion - 30/01/2017

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. Pwntato

Pwntato Veteran

Thanks for a nice guide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. Sponsor

My pleasure :) Glad to see its come to good use!

4. Deft

Deft Veteran

[​IMG]

You are going to want/need the fish finding ability in addition to what the guide reccomends. With fish finding, a good route, and your hearth set you have a very good chance as a 20 for first place. I need to go win it a few more times.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
    LennywBT and Sketchbag like this.
  5. Sponsor
    Yes that completely slipped my mind, thanks! :)

added it into the list of items needed :cool:

6. Goesid

Goesid Member

lure and fishing pole is useless. fishing skill only plays a role in fishing outside pools.

7. Sponsor
    source?

8. Crazymo

Crazymo Veteran

9. Sponsor
    Thanks :) Do not be shy to give it a like if you find it useful! :)

Sketchbag likes this.
  10. tauna

tauna New Member

Thanks for this! One achievement down

11. Skam

Skam New Member

Do a lot of people do this still? It's been a very long time since I have, but I'm wanting to get back to it! How hard is it to come in first or second place?

12. Sponsor
    Not many 90s do this anymore, but it all depends of your realm.

Its quite easy to win the competitions, I have won first place on my lvl 10 twink, and 2nd on my 20 trial without any help using this method.

If you want to be extra careful, you could merge yourself to a dead server to get more schools to fish in :)

13. Skam

Skam New Member

Thank you so much! :)

14. Sponsor
    bumping for a friend

15. downsided

downsided Veteran

16. Sponsor
    updated some little details!

17. rank1shaman

rank1shaman New Member

Very well made guide, thanks for that.

18. Sponsor
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I am really glad to see it's actually handy and visually appealing!

19. Sponsor
    bump for my fellow APers!

20. Vantalimxx

Vantalimxx New Member

Found this really helpful, thank you ^^