Space Talk

Tom Ganks

Anyone been following the events of recent years? I've been on the SpaceX hype train for quite a while now (as well as other private projects). I am honestly convinced Elon Musk will be the Bill Gates of Space exploration. Commercial Aerospace is the future.

go visit New Mexico, they got space museums and observatories
I actually really want to visit the Smithsonian if I ever head to Washington. I know they have really awesome display. Not sure if they have the Shuttle ATM. I'll take NM into account if I ever head there, too

I actually really want to visit the Smithsonian if I ever head to Washington. I know they have really awesome display. Not sure if they have the Shuttle ATM. I'll take NM into account if I ever head there, too

Yes, they have the Discovery there. They used to have the Enterprise. But it got moved to NYC when the fleet retired.
Unfortunately, all NASA JSC here in Houston got was the Explorer. Why a shuttle was sent to NYC is pretty unbelievable as they have no real affiliation with the space program. NYC really has no space program like FL and CA where the other surviving shuttles went. My guess would be "international visitors".
Kennedy got the Atlantis and the California Science Center got the Endeavor.
By the way, 2040 is the anticipated year humans are supposed to set foot on Mars. The Orion will get us there. As well a new version of the SLS that is even more powerful than the Saturn V.

Last edited:
Yes, they have the Discovery there. They used to have the Enterprise. But it got moved to NYC when the fleet retired.
Unfortunately, all NASA JSC here in Houston got was the Explorer. Why a shuttle was sent to NYC is pretty unbelievable as they have no real affiliation with the space program. NYC really has no space program like FL and CA where the other surviving shuttles went. My guess would be "international visitors".
By the way, 2040 is the anticipated year humans are supposed to set foot on Mars. The Orion will get us there. As well a new version of the SLS that is even more powerful than the Saturn V.

I was expecting mid to late 2030's. But you know, the space program likes to take it's sweet time. You think the Z-2 (new suit prototype) is what they're going to stick with? I'm sure they'll make tech advancements with it in the future, but I felt it kinda weird they made it this early, considering it would be made with more advancements in the near future for relatively the same cost.

Boring, the singularity sounds a lot more interesting.

AI is the key to space travel and possibly colonizing.
Perhaps the two dates aren't a coincidence, now is that mathematics or just a bunch of Myan Calender mombo jumbo, I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the two dates aren't a coincidence, now is that mathematics or just a bunch of Myan Calender mombo jumbo, I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

We did survive the 12/21/2012 cataclysm. Nibiru did not collide with the Earth as predicted. I would not put too much faith in the Mayan calendar.

We did survive the 12/21/2012 cataclysm. Nibiru did not collide with the Earth as predicted. I would not put too much faith in the Mayan calendar.
Just as we should be careful with what we expect from "estimates" we are given.

On could also say we should cherish the time we have left.
Or that we should be preparing ourselves. I know individuals such as Musk and Kurzweil are. Musk had a wonderful analogy he used not directly about this subject but I think it pertains.
1O6Prg6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Better make sure that bucket does not have holes in it!

To that note, we are working with the ESA on the Orion.
We work with the former Soviets on many projects. The space shuttle docked at Mir. In the 90's Russians wore US space suits.
Going back into the 70's Apollo and a Soviet Soyuz docked and the crews shook hands.
Lest we forget ISS... It has the US, Russia, ESA, Canada and Japan. Imagine the engineering involved to bring all these parts together. (Think of putting Honda/Ford/Mercedes/Alfa Romeo/Renault etc car part and cobbling them into a working vehicle). A Honda wheel does not fit on a Ford truck... Alfa Romeo hood won't fit a on a Mercedes. Imagine all the planning and the design work involved...And getting all these alpha minds and personalities into cohesiveness. What a task!

Better make sure that bucket does not have holes in it!

To that note, we are working with the ESA on the Orion.
We work with the former Soviets on many projects. The space shuttle docked at Mir. In the 90's Russians wore US space suits.
Going back into the 70's Apollo and a Soviet Soyuz docked and the crews shook hands.
Lest we forget ISS... It has the US, Russia, ESA, Canada and Japan. Imagine the engineering involved to bring all these parts together. (Think of putting Honda/Ford/Mercedes/Alfa Romeo/Renault etc car part and cobbling them into a working vehicle). A Honda wheel does not fit on a Ford truck... Alfa Romeo hood won't fit a on a Mercedes. Imagine all the planning and the design work involved...And getting all these alpha minds and personalities into cohesiveness. What a task!

We had a couple of NASA speakers at the college last month. It was a man and his wife. I believe he worked in safety for ISS. I loved the stories of all the little issues and mis-communications they have with the Russians. Especially considering we sometimes make the mistake of using Standard instead of Metric. Also at one point in time, there was a slight unknown vibration aboard the ISS, only to find out that one of the crew had a habit of bouncing up and down.

Users who are viewing this thread