So how does resistance work on 19?

Loone

Bear
Hey guys,

So recently I switched from 5+ resistance to all on cloak to 10+ shadow resistance on my FC Druid. I was thinking about it and the only thing I should REALLY be worrying about as a Druid FC are, for instance, Warlock/priest spells/cc.

Now the second thing that came into mind was: “How does resistance work on level 19 and what are the chances spells will be resisted with 10+ shadow resistance?”

I’m sure there’s someone on here that has asked the same question in the past!

pls lmk

From what I undestand, resistance is capped at 100 at any level below 19. For damage spells, this is further seperated into the classes of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. If the above statement is correct, that'd mean 1 resistance offers 75/100= 0.75% chance to resist a spell. 10 Shadow Resistance would therefore give 7.5% chance to resist Fear/Psychic Scream.

This is what I am currently assuming - but then again, it could be completely wrong.

Last edited:
Luke was around that age when he joined the resistance, just don't give into the dark side lmao duh

One small edit: I just read here (https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/spell-resistance-and-partial-resists/54484/4) that below lvl 20 the resistance cap is 100 and not 95. Miniscule differences, but still. One question I do have is: "What about base resistance?"

Base resistance is 4%, does the first 5 resistance add up to that or would it do absolutely nothing..? If it's 0.75% per resistance and 100 resistance = 75% then I would assume the first 5 resistance does absolutely nothing - essentially making the 5AR Cloak Enchant useless for all races that don't have any base resistance.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure that's not how it works, it makes no sense. Resistance always adds to base resist, although I agree it's pretty cryptic as to how much it adds.

I read the linked post:

Other 19's have a 4% resist chance (think dodge).

Every point of resistance will add 0.75% average damage reduction (up to 75%)(think armor). So 5 all res will add 3.75% average damage reduction to magic.

Note: Spells with a non-damage component like a slow are can be either fully resisted with your resistance (3.75% chance at 5 res), or take full damage.

Last edited:
Average Resistance = (Target’s Resistance / (Caster’s Level * 5)) * 0.75

Characters below level 20 are treated as level 20. So resistance cap at 19 is 100.

From what I undestand, resistance is capped at 100 at any level below 19. For damage spells, this is further seperated into the classes of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. If the above statement is correct, that'd mean 1 resistance offers 75/100= 0.75% chance to resist a spell. 10 Shadow Resistance would therefore give 7.5% chance to resist Fear/Psychic Scream.

This is what I am currently assuming - but then again, it could be completely wrong.
From what I've read online, you're spot on. One thing that's even nicer for you Sybill is when people don't spec into spell hit talents. Even if you have 0 resistance, you'll still have a 4% or so chance to resist their Fears and Psychic Screams. If you have 10 Shadow Resistance, I think it'll do a spell hit check and then a resistance check.

So if you have 10 Shadow Resistance and the enemy Warlock or Priest is not specced into Suppression or Shadow Focus, there will be a (0.96)(0.925) = 88.8% chance for the spell to actually hit you. This is assuming that it works on a two-roll system which I have no idea about.

Another thing I've read is that every player has a 1% chance to resist a spell, regardless of spell hit talents and spell resistance number.

This article cleared up a lot of confusion for me, although it doesn't go into any low level specifics.

Main take aways are: regardless of resistance everyone has a level based chance to resist all spells, down to 1% when there's a large level difference. Separate from that is your resistance based chance to resist, which can net you full or partial resists depending on the spell (binary or not). There are some tables on the article that show how that scales. Still pretty confusing but we're getting closer...

Users who are viewing this thread