EU+US Shunkley's Artifact/AP Guide

Shunkley

Grandfathered
Edit: Updated June 2017: Fixing a lot of old info, added a lot more.

Contents
  • Intro
  • Glossary/Terms
  • AP Requirements and Realistic Timeframes
  • AP Sources
  • Neltharion’s Lair Guide
  • Consumable/Fun Items
My name is Shunkley, I' been working on my 101 twink Shaman, and compiling info. This is going to be a work in progress for awhile guide wise, but I hope it will help you make an informed decision when you decide on a twink. In the future I plan on adding more data, such as how much gold you will have on average from the treasure chests in Neltharions lair, along with walkthroughs and tips/ticks for Legion twinks.

Here's my artifact weapon as of 10/8/2016. I'll be updating this from time to time.
8c77577f9385ea1fa0d3e7ce61b3870a.png

Update: Artifact as of June 3rd 2017
c401a57f882ba45144682943d5cf95fa.png

Prepared to be intimidated or excited, depending on the type of person you are. My personal goal as a twink for this expansion is to get my artifact weapon as far as I can, with the ultimate goal of getting past rank 34. Why? Every point past rank 34 is a flat 5% damage increase. With stat scaling this will be monstrous and well, it wouldn’t be twinking to me if there wasn’t a grind. Let’s take a look at the numbers. Feel free to skip to the end of this section for the "useful" information out of this.

3076018d8f67a9cb04ca229d56e59cac.png

As you can see, the numbers quickly take off. By time you hit 500,000 AP, you will need more then 3x that to 5 levels to hit Rank 35 (The first rank you get a flat 5% DPS increase)

The final number to next level is 1,635,200. But the raw number doesn't really mean much. So instead I want to look at this in a different view. The fastest way as of writing this is by grinding Neltharions Lair for AP. You have the possibility of a 200 AP token from each chest, and there are two chests per run. Lets add up the total AP required to reach rank 35, and then divide that by 200.

6,851,330 total AP / 200 AP (amount per token) = 34,257 AP Tokens.

Now I don't know the drop chance, because I don't have enough recorded chest openings (my log is only 102 chests), but it's coming out to 55% at the moment for me, so I'm going to go with a 50% chance. Meaning every run yields 1 AP token. Now for the painful math.

At 10 runs a day that would be 3,425.7 days, or a little under 10 years. I think it's reasonable to say that no one will be hitting rank 35 with unless blizzard adds in more ways to get AP for sub-110s.

But wait, we have more options for AP that run alongside Neltharion's Lair. Your followers can be doing missions, and while there will be somewhat of a variety with the companion app I'm going to make the assumption you could do 4 missions that yield AP a day, and that those would be rounded to a 600 AP total or 3 AP tokens.

That means we can redo the formula as follows.

34,257 AP Tokens / 13 = 2636 days.

Still an obscene amount but hey, we knocked more two years off of it. Now why did I show you this? Mainly because I wanted to justify my 13 tokens a day, and use this as a base to find out what Artifact Trait Level is reasonable to get too. When deciding on a twink you should look at the artifact and see what your level of commitment is, and what you will get out of it with your artifact. Some classes have access more easily then others to powerful traits. Other classes will need more traits, but could possibly scale better. The numbers are calculated in days. I'll be cleaning this information up over time.

688fc37e69e8b63ee0846d8ecdfd31bc.png

TLDR: It takes 36 days total roughly to hit Artifact level 19. It takes 83 days roughly to hit Artifact level 22. It will be a little over a year to reach Artifact level 28.

This information will hopefully help with your decision on what to twink, along with how much effort you'll have to put in. Ultimately, your artifact long term is going to be what makes a difference between most twinks, and those who start early will have a bigger advantage compared to a new twink in this bracket.

1. Dungeon Spawn Chests - 50/50 chance on if you get AP or Order Resources. Also contains vendor greys.

2. World Treasure Chests - One-time source, RNG if you get Order resources or AP. Blizz has updated the base AP obtained from these once this expansion, so it's possible that could happen again.

3. World Rares - One-time source, RNG if you get Order resources or AP. Blizz has updated the base AP obtained from these once this expansion, so it's possible that could happen again.

4. Follower Missions - Four total missions are available. Two that give player XP, and two that give AP.

5. BoA Tokens from Main RIP- NOT A THING ANYMORE

6. Random drops off all mobs for either 75 or 100 AP

7. Inscription Weekly CD http://www.wowhead.com/item=128980/scroll-of-forgotten-knowledge (100 AP)

8. Weekly Timewalking yields http://www.wowhead.com/item=141689/jewel-of-victory for 55 AP.

9. Archaeology

10. Invasion World Quests

*Note you must kill the boss to have treasure chests spawn*

Neltharion's Lair is by far the best source of AP, and the ability to gear yourself while doing it. As it stands right now if you do both chests you average 110g a run and 200 AP roughly, your mileage may vary. There are three items to make the runs as efficient as possible in my opinion.

1. Goblin Gliders (EDIT: RIP IN PIECES)
  2. Draenic Invis Potion (Or invisibility/stealth of your choice)
  3. Slow fall ability (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=201803/floaty-fungus or http://www.wowhead.com/item=8529/noggenfogger-elixir)
BONUS ITEM: http://www.wowhead.com/item=113082/precious-bloodthorn-loop This is useable in combat, lets you basically rogue vanish and can reset all mobs. Doesn't share a CD with invis potions either, so between the two of them if you are a fresh 101 without any gear you can skip everything and only have to fight the two bosses.

The invisibility potion lets you skip the pack of three mobs + the vileshard hulk pack that is before the second boss area if you are lacking damage. Over the course of a lot of runs, this will save you a lot of time, but on any individual run not so much. It is also a good option if you are too weak to kill the vileshard hulk but want to do solo runs.

The ability to cast farsight (Shaman Master Race) lets you check the area off to the west Marked 2 on the map, rather then having to walk over there. When you land after the waterfall, there is a rock you can aim at to check for #2. Otherwise you have to walk down the path a bit to check it.

834351e94558e9690cb37691e25842e9.png

Chest #1: Spawns underneath the waterfall. Simply swim downwards after landing. Hug the left hand side, and the chest will be in the back of the cave. You do not have to kill a single mob to get this.

Chest #2: Spawns off to the west. I'll add some pictures later on how to check it with farsight, but it's on the little outcrop to the north before the cave. Their are two mobs that pat this path. Kill the non-basilisk mob first as he can summon a new basilisk if you don't kill him fast enough.

Chest #3: Spawns in the cave to the right of the second boss. There is a pelter and a shaman that you have to kill to get this one. Run past the pelter and go after the shaman first to drag the pelter closer. If you don't he can jump backwards into the vileshard hulk patroling the room.

Chest #4: Spawns in the river behind the basilisks before the cave. If you run along the left wall you can dodge the basilisks on your way to it. If you have skinning kill these bad boys for stormscales for easy money.

Chest #5: Kill Worm boss, on the far side of the wall is an alcove with a chest. Click it on your way by or use floaty fungus/levitate/slowfall and land in the alcove. This will knock the chest to the bottom. This chest is always there.

TIPS AND TRICKS

So these are a few things for getting around the dungeon. I'll do some video runs to show what a full run looks like but here are a few things that can shave quite a bit of time.

UPDATED June 6th: You can just jump up some crystals down by the first boss, see picture below. Wall hop up the left side of it and everything will reset. Once you have some gear you can just kill everything before the rolepalying even finishes.

760b1410417587359b1469986baa8c1c.png
You can dodge the vileshard and the group to the right, timing wise if you get the pat in the right spot this wastes the least time, otherwise I'd advise pulling the caster + golem thingy on the right over the vileshard. You lose a go 10-15 seconds killing them solo. Also if you aren't able to solo yet not having to fight it is a plus.

In the first photo, the circle emphasizes where you want the pat to be, and then you want to walk down the crack where the ground changes color essentially. Follow the arrow.

2be07bd6e84424da68f7b444cf56e156.jpg

bbdc15a754016182e8ec24dc77caba3c.jpg

You can jump up the wall in front of the second boss (Or double jump, friggin demon hunters >.>). Below are some photos on where to hop.

74e8d3bcbab6865c12eb9817bcbb4921.jpg

f723d56a2a814fd0b98e2f1d7135cfb6.jpg

1b68933f1a710d31f25d583f722b2d58.jpg

Last edited:
Useful Items, Consumables, and Tricks

http://www.wowhead.com/item=113082/precious-bloodthorn-loop&bonus=0 Best item for skipping shit you don't want to kill in dungeons. I sometimes use it in DHT if I just want to do the herbs after the first boss. You run til you hit the bears, pop it to reset everything and run past the first boss and just kill all the lashers. Around 82 Dreamleaf per reset.

Draenor Main Stat potion > Potion of Prolonged power. Potions of Prolonged power only give 940 at 101 where as the Draenor potions give 1000, and are for all intents and purposes free. Build your garrison, build an alchemy hut, get an herb follower and select the type of herb you need for your potions. Congratulations, you are now shitting potions out, AND, you can do a daily to get 4 free invisibility potions.

Legion Flasks give 489 to their corresponding stat or 733 Stamina. If you have a bunch of 110s you can get Revered with legionfall and get the http://www.wowhead.com/item=147707/repurposed-fel-focuser, but this only provides 188 to the main stat and 282 to stamina. Cheap way to have a 24/7 buff as Legion flasks can be a gold sink.

Augment runes still exist and provide 50 to a stat of your choice. Though prices are way up due to lack of availability, and it doesn't provide that much. Still if you want to get your number as high as possible.

Food: 375 food buffs turn into 141 buffs when consumed on a 101. 500 Primary stat feasts turn into 188 food buffs.

Last edited:
From your numbers it looks like somewhere around Artifact level 24-26 will be obtainable without devoting your life to it :p

That was my thought too. If I hit 25, I'll have 3 golden traits as an Enhancement Shaman. Your mileage my vary, but it definitely becomes an interesting point when deciding what to twink.

Also keep in mind that Blizzard has stated Legion is not the final XPac.

Definitely, I'd also guess that blizzard will add more ways to get BoA Artifact power, or you'll see a lot of whining over time from people with alts. Depending on what happens, this time table could drastically change as the expansion goes by. But I'm looking forward to the long term on this guy.

Does Artifact Knowledge affect the BoA tokens from doing Call To Arms dungeons on your main?

I've checked, sadly not. As of now its just 100 AP, but since it doesn't help my main much, they all get funneled to my shaman.

For AP sources add that Inscription weekly CD scroll of Forgotten Memories or w/e it's called.

Thanks, totally forgot about that because they make me mad. They can give you XP which makes it seem like they fizzle, even though you have XP off.

After over 100 runs of Nelth's Lair I... didn't know about chest 2 until now >.<

Better over 100, then over 1000. ;) And seriously, I'm glad the 10 minutes I took to write this has helped at least someone. I updated it with the farsight spot. Saves at least a good 20 seconds, which over the course of the hundreds of runs will add up. I'm hoping to get some decent screenshots tonight on how to skip the trash at the beginning so it resets (TL:DR you can stun it at a certain point and then it will reset when it comes after you at the bottom of the waterfall before the first boss) and how to skip the second boss and dodge the center pat. I just have to remember to hit SS when I'm doing it. >.> My runs have been getting tighter though. I just wish I had NA people to do this with. The more the merrier I always say.

Thanks. Great List.

I think that you forgot to mention one source for Artifact Power. Random Drops in Legion. They give +75 or as an epic version +100.
Like this one:
7OW1US9.jpg

Added, I imagine this'll keep happening, it's easy to overlook things. >.>

A few other things I tested today that I'll add to it that people may or may not know.

1. World bosses give you gold when you kill them in Legion as a 101. This leads me to believe that classes that have there hidden artifact relic appearance from world bosses, should be able to obtain them.

2. Suramar chests require 110 to open, but the rare mobs can and do still drop loot/AP. I've also been logging my dungeon run chests grey items, as it stands right now you get 55g per chest. I'm gonna hold off til I get at least 100 different chests logged, but I should be able to add another point to my AP table. How much gold you'll get by doing Nelth runs for a certain artifact level. Could be an interesting point for people who can't pay to gear up, if you end up with thousands of gold just from doing this.

Thanks, I'm gonna be trying to compile Treasure spawn spots, but there seems to be a lot more possible spots in the other instances.

Outside of making a video of a full run, I've got some tips and tricks up for Neltharion runs, and I'll leave it at that now unless I find something big that increases the time of the run. Will be working on an explanation for followers next, but I added some requests at the top if anyone knows the answers to them, would be appreciated. I'm off to do some real runs cause I've been sidetracked by this for a bit. XD I'm half way to trait 16, and trait 17 is my next big power spike.

Frost DKs specifically can speak with the http://www.wowhead.com/npc=108606/memory-of-arthas and obtain 50 AP for doing so.I believe there are four different memories. Other DK artifacts do not allow you to speak with Arthas. This is part of unlocking the hidden artifact appearance even though you can't actually obtain the hidden skin until 110. I'm not sure whether other classes are rewarded AP for their hidden artifact prerequisites.

Users who are viewing this thread