Should I level up my 101 to 109?

I would say don't level it yet? There's nothing going on at 109 now that says you cant do the same later on, right?

All the WoD stuff we are discussing in the other threads is exactly the same for your 101, the difference being that you probably just cant solo them on that 101 (or it'd at least take reaaaally long to). BoA weapons are scaling up to 163 at 109 on the PTR, so you can even just have 136 ilvl chants on those if they do in fact scale up that high in BG when you're scaled to 109.

I honestly don't know how the fist weapon guardian artifacts take enchants, so it might not be comparable. But if you want to swap specs the BoA weapons should be really close to normal 109 artifacts which are only 168, I think.

If the PTR is accurate and going live that way, I strongly feel that your off-epic slots will be better filled with WoD heroic drops enchanted with ilvl 136 enchants and armors/buckles than anything legion-109 will offer you, except maybe trinkets? The WoD rings/necks all have main stat, which is nice. I don't think the enchant level matters for those tho. Legion epics will be better if you'd rather just have stam and secondaries, as they can get to really high ilevel.

I haven't really started doing them on my 109 druid yet, so I cant offer visual examples. But i'll try to down the road...
[doublepost=1550457372,1550457111][/doublepost]I'll run my druid thru some tonight and if anything good drops i'll copy to the PTR and show you how it looks. At 101, if you get a 110 druid (any leather, I guess) to run you, all the drops will be druid drops and being level 100 drops you can just trade them all to your 101 regardless which toon they drop for. Always one drop per boss, all useable for your 101.

You're hoping for procs, is the basic idea. Sockets, speed/leech/avoidance are best. Epics only give 2 more ilevel (so far).
[doublepost=1550469695][/doublepost]Here ya go, live versions and PTR versions of chests:
FHwf8eN.png

Not the ideal slot given it's a legion BoE slot, but you can compare all 4 now at least. Epic WoD would be 154 ilvl.

As you can see, it's all basically "better" than legion normal filler as long as it takes lvl 136 chants which legion cant. The WoD drops come in a variety of secondary stat setups but it's just lots of RNG to get the right ones, and upgrade procs.

Also worth mentioning in general, level 99 characters will NOT be able to apply ilvl 136 chants to BoA armor anymore next patch, the BoA are getting buffed and it will be too high at that level. 98 and below can still apply tho, I think. Just saying.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning in general, level 99 characters will NOT be able to apply ilvl 136 chants to BoA armor anymore next patch, the BoA are getting buffed and it will be too high at that level. 98 and below can still apply tho, I think. Just saying.

will you be able to send it to a lower lvl toon say lvl90 (since its BOA) to enchant it, before sending it back to the lvl99 ?
[doublepost=1550471042,1550470819][/doublepost]

can you test whats your 169 Cainen's Preeminent Chestguard's ilvl in ptr ?

will you be able to send it to a lower lvl toon say lvl90 (since its BOA) to enchant it

Yeah, 99 is just the current max level that can do it. BoA are ilvl 136 at level 99 on live. Higher on the PTR, like 139.

Just mentioned it for people that don't have a million alts like me. ;)

can you test whats your 169 Cainen's Preeminent Chestguard's ilvl in ptr ?

Every legion piece I have stays the same when I copy over to the PTR. Looks like the ilvl buffs stop at WoD. So far.

Long story short, 101s have a huge gap ahead 109s when it comes to secondary’s.

Also the WOD trinkets for 101s effect them way more than 109 where they are still BIS.

Long story short. Don’t level

You will be able to upgrade all your available legion boe slots to 189 eventually, and with a bit of gear tinkering, you can control bgs at 101

Reference my mage in signature for gear ideas. Note I’m currently going for a socket in my bracers, gloves, and another socket in belt. As well as Kara vers procing chest. Once I have those will be close to BIS.

The nice part about 101 and Draenei heroic gear is you can pick and choose which 2 secondaries you want, rather than kinda being dealt what is best IL and not being able to pick your secondaries at 109.

I'm curious about this too! I was under the impression that for BG's you wanted the highest ilvl possible, stat template is in effect, etc. Did this change?

Could you find out what your secondaries are in a BG for me? How badly they degrade once inside?

Not enough to make it matter.

I’m at like 15% Crit 35% mastery 30% vers outside of bgs, inside I have like 13% Crit 30% mastery and 25% vers.
[doublepost=1550849546,1550849331][/doublepost]
I'm curious about this too! I was under the impression that for BG's you wanted the highest ilvl possible, stat template is in effect, etc. Did this change?

The template now is, if your not max level in the bracket, you get a stat pruning when you enter bracket.

Sometimes, like in this instance, the amount you get reduced for being 101, isn’t enough to not make it worth it

The template now is, if your not max level in the bracket, you get a stat pruning when you enter bracket.

So simple ilvl isn't a consideration any more?
[doublepost=1550849734,1550849675][/doublepost]What about using gear meant for your class....I remember there was, I think a 5% penalty on stats if a plate wearer wasn't wearing all plate gear for example.

I was under the impression you just got artificially leveled to the top level of the bracket and your values didn't change. As in you have 300 versatility rating inside and outside BG, outside you are a 101 with 300 rating and inside you are 109 with 300 rating. Is that not so? That's what i'm actually asking, really. Inside, a 109 wearing the same exact gear as you should have the same exact stats... is it not this way? Level shouldn't matter at all if your gear isn't any different. Inside, I mean.

The difference between 101 and 109 is negligible. That's why the WoD heroic gear works in the first place. It's all similar.

edit- I'd also love to know the difference if you had +13 int to bracers instead of +12 vers. I'd think int would be better. I tried 20 vers to chest on my 99 hunter and +10 stats gave him a greater damage increase. Curious how it is with INT.
(edit- ok, so I tried it on my 109 and 20 vers to chest gives the exact same damage as +10 stats, at around 1100 int)

The whole point of not leveling to 109 is because you're wearing the same exact gear so there's not really any need to, not that 101 is "better" inside battlegrounds. They should realistically be exactly the same as far as instanced PvP goes.

I don't have any 101 anymore to check.
[doublepost=1550852697,1550850875][/doublepost]
What about using gear meant for your class....I remember there was, I think a 5% penalty on stats if a plate wearer wasn't wearing all plate gear for example.

It's a bigger deal now than in legion, because the stats got squished. In legion it was worth ignoring armor type if the stats you got were considerably greater then a proper available piece. Now the stats are all small, and there's generally not going to be a situation over level 55 (where the 5% bonus starts, i think) where it's worth it to wear the wrong type.

Say you have 1000 intellect... 5% of that is 50. So you'd need a piece that gave 50 more intellect just to break even.

That doesn't happen at these levels, that's why we can use WoD gear and MoP gear and even karazhan like Veechard. Back in legion the secondary stats were crazy so it could be worth losing some main stat... not so much anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread