Shaman glyphs (so many choices)

Snowjobs

Fluffy
opinion on best glyph for a ele shaman focusing on utility and key burst opportunities ?

I'll probably sit back next to the healers and ts mele of into roots, defensivly shear, purge, heal a little , lava burst some, ground some other spells, chain lightning a little to get some charges.

My options are;

MAJOR

-10 sec cd on TS (45 sec normal)

-3 sec cd on grounding totem (25 sec normal)

+20 sec cd on grounding totem + reflect spell

-2 sec frost shock cd ( 6 sec normal )

ghost wolf improved

+10% fire frost and nature damage reduc from healing stream

2 spell purge with 6 sec cd

+ 1 sec lockout + 3 sec cd shear

45 yard shock range

2 extra targets on chain lightning (more charges)

minor glyphs

wolf form when dead for quicker spirit res .

dummy totems

shaman has to have the most choices for a glyph that are all viable -.- Help me decide !

Imp GW and GW while dead. Kinda easy tbh. Buff your mobility since your damage outside of the fulmination wombo wombo is non-existent. Other option could be the reduce CD on grounding totem but I see that being a lot harder to get full benefit out of.

[MENTION=6328]Snowjobs[/MENTION]
I gave you an answer in another thread. Please look at your mentions. I am quite positive I am the most experienced shaman on this site. Trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imp wolf imo. For minor, water walk wolf if on tp, everything else I'd use fake totem one.
The negative is...
It does use mana if you swap in and out of GW often. It just depends on your style. Practically every time I move, I change into GW. You can always cast WW on yourself pretty easily.
The positive is...
You don't have to bother with casting WW on yourself.

/cheers

The negative is...
It does use mana if you swap in and out of GW often. It just depends on your style. Practically every time I move, I change into GW. You can always cast WW on yourself pretty easily.
The positive is...
You don't have to bother with casting WW on yourself.

/cheers

Mana is a non factor until you are spamming surges.

Waterwalk glyph is far superior to the rest because it provides a free buff to protect against GW purges.

Mana is a non factor until you are spamming surges.

Waterwalk glyph is far superior to the rest because it provides a free buff to protect against GW purges.

As most of the time you are in PvP.

Many shaman do not bother with purging GW, as all you have to is reapply it instantly. Dispelling it causes nothing more than a nuisance to the target. I'd wager most didn't even know you could dispel it.

As most of the time you are in PvP.

Many shaman do not bother with purging GW, as all you have to is reapply it instantly. Dispelling it causes nothing more than a nuisance to the target. I'd wager most didn't even know you could dispel it.

I and many others dispel GW from any shaman along with preist feather. If I'm running after them with my speed buff / whatever up or they are being chased by more than 1 person and someone dispels GW or Feather the extra global they have to use / time spent out of form because of it often kills them.

Stop assuming everyone is stupid, both ingame and on TI. It would make your responses much easier to stomach.

I and many others dispel GW from any shaman along with preist feather. If I'm running after them with my speed buff / whatever up or they are being chased by more than 1 person and someone dispels GW or Feather the extra global they have to use / time spent out of form because of it often kills them.

Stop assuming everyone is stupid, both ingame and on TI. It would make your responses much easier to stomach.

When you are in GW you are not casting, you can't cast. It brings you out of GW. Thus, you are not causing them to "waste a global". When, in fact, it is you that is using a global to dispel GW off of them.
I go in and out of GW all the time when I am running and jumping. GW----Riptide---GW---- a shaman should always be in GW form when not casting. One of the last things I worry about purging is a GW. Their are too many other things to dispel, windshear, Fire/Frost shock, totem and root.

I do not get where you see I 'assume everyone is stupid'. Have I ever stated that? No. It is simply your perception. If anything, other people have called me "stupid".
By the way, don't tell me what to do.
All I ask is that you try and keep this thread on topic and don't derail it. Any personal problems you have with me, take it to PMs.

/cheers

N[MENTION=6328]Snowjobs[/MENTION]
For my resto shaman I use ghost wolf and totemic encirclement. Although, most people at this level won't even bother attacking totems.
Tough to say about elemental. Shaman should be swapping in and out of GW every time you move. That is what makes GW glyph so important.
The only time the CL glyph will come into play is at the very beginning of a game. Rest of the time it will probably be wasted.
Keep in mind you should always have flame shock on your target. It gives an extra 50% damage to Lava Burst. You might want to run with a flame shock glyph. And run a healing/damage meter. Check the metrics on it and see how much that glyph healed you for compared to the damage that your flame shock did. If it did not heal you for anywhere near the 45% it is supposed to(minus the pvp rebuffs) then it may not be worth it for your playstyle. It may take more than one or two games of trials before you can conclude this though.
That is what sucks about only having 2 game nights a week. We really don't have time to try new things out. And that is where the "fun" factor of the game really is.
Good luck!

/cheers

Post in other thread in response to Snowjobs' previous question.
Keep in mind, I run Defensive glyphs. As a DPS, I presume you would want to run offensive glyphs. In the end, it all depends on your playstyle.

/cheers

You're running in ghostwolf. You can jump + riptide and reapply gw before you hit the ground keep momentum and continue running. I agree with that.

But if you are running and someone dispels your ghost wolf when you are on the ground running you aren't going to reapply ghost wolf the same global it is removed, meaning you are going to spend time not running at increased speed, using GW glyph makes your opponent waste globals if they want to remove ghostwolf.

Also as a shadowpriest I don't have any meaningful globals to spend if I'm chasing after someone. I would rather use my globals to gain distance (Dispelling ghost wolf) to get close enough to get a cast off.

If you're using a script to instantly reapply ghost wolf or something then sure I am wasting a global. But I would hope people weren't that scummy.

sold on lakestrider but im still not 100% on major glyph

-10 sec on ts seems huge to me.

I guess I'll have to experiment some

After a few games you will get a feel for whether or not that 10 seconds will be useful or not to you. Or if extra heals from flame shock would have been more helpful. Flame shock is up a long time unless it is dispelled.

/cheers

You're running in ghostwolf. You can jump + riptide and reapply gw before you hit the ground keep momentum and continue running. I agree with that.

But if you are running and some dispels your ghost wolf when you are on the ground running you aren't going to reapply ghost wolf the same global it is removed, meaning you are going to spend time not running at increased speed, using GW glyph makes your opponent waste globals if they want to remove ghostwolf.

Also as a shadowpriest I don't have any meaningful globals to spend if I'm chasing after someone. I would rather use my globals to gain distance (Dispelling ghost wolf) to get close enough to get a cast off.

If you're using a script to instantly reapply ghost wolf or something then sure I am wasting a global. But I would hope people weren't that scummy.

It does not create a GCD when you pop out of GW. Only when you cast it. When another shaman purges your GW off, it really does not do anything to a 'good' shaman other than create a nuisance to them. As all one needs to do is just instantly pop back into GW form and be on their merry little way. All without skipping a step.
The GCD is inconsequential, as you won't be casting in GW form anyway. And when you do, BOOM, you automatically pop out as if you were purged. Cast your spells, BAM, go to GW and be back on your way.

No script is required. Just keybinds/mouse binds.
I suppose some may need them though.

/cheers

It does not create a GCD when you pop out of GW. Only when you cast it. When another shaman purges your GW off, it really does not do anything to a 'good' shaman other than create a nuisance to them. As all one needs to do is just instantly pop back into GW form and be on their merry little way. All without skipping a step.
The GCD is inconsequential, as you won't be casting in GW form anyway. And when you do, BOOM, you automatically pop out as if you were purged. Cast your spells, BAM, go to GW and be back on your way.

No script is required. Just keybinds/mouse binds.
I suppose some may need them though.

/cheers

I know all of this, and yes I know it doesn't incur a GCD but it does reduce your speed, force you to react and then mean the game has to register your reaction. The gcd I use is totally inconsequential whereas for the shaman it makes them press something else after the period of time it took them to notice it. Also if you GW up and someone wants to dispel then they have to get through the trash buff also. There is no argument I can see to use any other minor glyph unless your opponents team has 0 shamans priests or hunters. Totemic encirlement is purely cosmetic and though it does add "dummy" totems it isn't hard to just ignore them. It's between GW spirit form and GW water walking.

As for major glyphs the 35 sec on storm is probably one of the ones I would consider. Flame shock is not something you should ever consider, the heal is negligible as the amount of damage flameshock does is also negligible.

When spread effectively, flame shock can contribute greatly to your total damage. Thus contributing to your healing. Which is why I suggested for him to try go over some metrics, if you recall.

/cheers

When spread effectively, flame shock can contribute greatly to your total damage. Thus contributing to your healing. Which is why I suggested for him to try go over some metrics, if you recall.

/cheers

Total damage and effective damage are very different.

One should not ever think about flame shock spread until they have access to fire nova. If anything, the flame shock is just something to break your mage's sheeps.

/cheers

sold on lakestrider but im still not 100% on major glyph

-10 sec on ts seems huge to me.

I guess I'll have to experiment some

I've noticed that the TS glyph is huge when playing defense on roof in wsg or in other stationary positions (knock someone off and takes 20-30 seconds for them to get back up). If you are midfield fighting or offense I would go GW for mobility.

[MENTION=6328]Snowjobs[/MENTION]
Don't get glyph of Thunder(10 sec reduction) and glyph of Thunderstorm(no knock back) mixed up. Two different effects. TS is more of a PvE glyph.

/cheers

personally I would go the thunderstorm cooldown because as ele i'd usually be by the healers anyways and more cc help you can toss over time means more healing they can do. ghost wolf I would say is more beneficial in certain situations but thunderstorm is a pretty big playmaker.

Users who are viewing this thread