Shadowlands and item scaling

Qwida

Veteran
"So all of the legacy content - Pandaria and the like - that's being scaled somehow?

Patrick Magruder: It'll be scaled from 10 to 50.

Actually, to be clear, it'll be scaled from 10 to 50 while you're levelling. However, that's where Chromie comes in - Chromie Time. As you're doing it from 10 to 50, it's Chromie time, it's scaled. Once you hit 50, Chromie will show up again and say, 'Hey, it looks like you're done, cool - let's bring you back to the main timeline,' and then you'll be 50 and Pandaria will have been scaled down to around, I'm going to guess, 35-ish in the new scheme.

Michael Bybee: The point there is if you want to run a Pandaria raid because you really like the transmog, you can still do that because those creatures will be lower level than you once you've left Chromie Time and you're no longer levelling up."

Some speculation here on how twinks could be affected

https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/ds3fzs/shadowland_level_squish_and_wow_economy/

This thread is to discuss these changes, it is alll speculation, we don't know yet what will happen.

It seems like the Chromie leveling will enable world items to scale as you level. So for example if you level up in Azsuna from 10, all the green drops would scale to your level. It is very likely that the same thing will happen to story quests, with the items being scaled. I have doubts about instances and their associated quests, but there is a possibility too.

What this means is that you could obtain two level 50 legion legendary because it drops for you in chromied legion, or you buy it for essences. Probably the bind on account legendary token will act the same.

In theory, one could get all kind of powerful items from each expansion and have them be scaled at level 50: old legendaries, epics, etc. The caveat is that chrome time only works while leveling and in uninstanced zones, so it's very doubtful you could go for example to the black temple and get level 50 illidan's warglaives. In this scenario, outland would scale for you to level up in it, but black temple wouldn't be part of chromie time - it isn't a leveling zone.

One could therefore obtain two legion legendaries while leveling in legion, as well as a number of blues/purples with good stats for your spec that would come through leveling quests/drops of different expansions.

A level 50 twink would have access to BFA epics and legendary cloak + any other lvl50 items you manage to grab from chromie time. Currently i have a 110 alt (45 in the new system) and i am considering the consequences of these changes. A level 50 would have access to more abilities and the full talent tree, plus more options for gearing.

Do you think 50 twinks will be the new norm? With the information we have available. Do you think dungeons and raids will somehow be able to use chromie time, or we will have only pre-bfa outdoor items that scale to 50?

For example, i doubt that world bosses like the Sha of Anger would drop level 50 items for you if you are in chromie time. It seems to me like blizz will go for the path of least resistance and just tweak outdoor quests and mobs to scale with you, leaving everything else the same.

1-A. If post-leveling continents will have a fixed level range, it's safe to assume that raids and their items will also have one. That will limit the acess to some items, but quests rewards and leveling dungeons drops are seemly all avaiable.

1-B. This might mean that the most characteristic items of an expansion will most likely not scale, and be only avaiable in the continent's post-leveling level range (like legendaries and items from profissions, heroic dungeons and ones sold by reputation quartermasters).​

1-C. This means that Artifacts Weapons are in a strange position. They might add generic weapon rewards to switch the artifact power-ups, or accept having an unique scalable weapon upgrade system for a single continent that might interact weirdly at different levels.​

2. We need to see more of the intended levelling rework. Which old and new spells are being added and at what pace they are unlocked.

3. And above all, it's too soon to gasp at how those systems will interact in PvP. While the WoW PvP team is very silent, they make some profound changes from time to time. Since we are going for a unified (and fair?) scalable level system, it's likely that brackets might be unified for an experience similar to Korrak's Revenge.

Another issue - if everything scales during Chromie time it might mean that to get the best gear from every expansion you have to beat it's hardest content. Like find 20 people to complete Antorus on mythic.

Might be best to start farming the gear you want from raids before it's to late. If we get locked out of raids that would be a real shame. Especially if you didn't farm the gear when you could have. to soon to really tell though. Still, might be worth saving socketed/upgraded gear and or trinkets from raids at or below your desired twinks level.

Mythic+/raids and titanforged gear should "in theory" have more stats going into Shadowlands. I doubt blizzard is going to keep bfa mythic+ and reintroduce legion's mythic+. Might be a very good idea to get some good mythic+ trinkets from BFA dungeons.

Last edited:
It’d be nice to get more concrete information rather than having to wait for a PTR to find shit out.

Users who are viewing this thread