Shadow Lands Pre-Patch, a blessing? or a curse in sheep's clothing

Is the Twinking experience in the Pre-patch as bad as i say or am i a dumb troglodyte?

• Its bad

• You are a dumb Troglodyte (Pre patch twinking is good)

• Mixed Opinions

Results are only viewable after voting.

Magrain

Veteran
Ok, so the past 4-5+ weeks the entire twinking system has seen an overhaul. Be it positive or negative. Alot of limitations have been removed which gives the F2P/ Starter Edition accounts much more content to do. But the question is, did the pre-patch make things great or worse?
There are certainly the Good:
1-You are no longer restricted in Pre-TBC/Classic zones only. Now you have the free will to do any expansion of your choice, but to some degree of limitations due to the requirement of some zones needing higher than 20+ LVL.
2-Professions can be now made higher than 100 cap. (I managed to reach 220 on my Enchantment) which can give a better curve for twinking.
3-Mount speed has increased to 100% at LVL20, no more 60% speed.
4-Now you can join many BGs instead of being limited only to Warsong Gultch, Arathi and EOS.
5-Maximum Gold cap has increased to 1000 Gold, instead of 10 gold.
6-Due to the level squish Shadowlands made, you can now play with DeathKnights and Demonhunters starting at level 8.

All of this is great and all, but from here on out im going to be stating the Bad part (least that my opinion, im sure many will disagree)
1-There are always 2 types of Twinks i like to label. The pure F2P twink and the handy work Twink that has a max level character that can help provide a certain item for the low twink. That there, comes the problem (That problem existed way beyond the pre-patch but here its more dominant)
With a twink having a high level character to use he can get items, gear and enchants easily. Unike free f2p starter accounts.(Things ofcourse has changed more with the pre-patch) Lets not also forget Talador's stupid ass phasing in Shattrath. I cant even see nor kill any of the damnable rares there, while flying fuckers carrying low lvl people can.
2-Farming spots, and Camp sights on certain mobs have been rather ehhhh lately. Really jolly to see a lvl50 Obsidian mount carrying a lvl10 Volpera to just one shot an Aqualir that i have been waiting for 2+ hours and miss the loot. (Yes i am salty about it and im making this post just to vent and cry about it)
3- While still unable to use the mail box and the Auction house, some with play-time can access them and buy certain mats, sockets and enchants that will give them a curve. Unlike pure f2p.

And then we enter the Ugly zone, which i both like and dislike about it.
1-Thanks to Blizzard's poor scaling at the start of the Pre-patch, some broken items have surfaced. Items that have higher ILVL and stats than the average lvl20 gear. By now everyone or the majority has it.
2-Some of those Broken gear cant be obtained normally by a pure F2P account/starter edition, unlike those who have play time. Like the end quest Pillars of creations in Legion. Hammer Aggrammar quest, Tidestone etc. With the exception of Elune's tear, that thing is the only gear i can get without being handicapped. Why? Because it doesnt require you to enter/ finish a legion dungeon. You cant do any other dungeon that is not fucking Atal'Dazar or Freehold, "Why dont you use the Chronormu system?" It doesnt work of f2p account, it says i need game time inorder to use it. Same like stopping the XP bar at lvl 19 and unable to join any bg bec i dont have any game time. Jolly. (If there is a way to get the rest of the pillars with an f2p account i would be more than delighted to know).
3-Thanks to that ridicules hyper fast grind, blizzard have nerfed the majority of the items meaning those who got it 1st hand will be broken in pvp. It pains me to see that i barely managed to gear up my Warlock (while still failing to get the HoA due to the nerf they did) i cant gear the rest of my other character. Im now stuck with a half baked twink. Can hardly call it a twink with people towering up to 3K Health pool while i barely reach 1.9K. I really cant enjoy the process of leveling another character and doing all this nightmare again.
4-Those who started the twinking late, will be severly handicapped due to the fact that they missed 90% of the broke ass shit a 10-20 player can do as of now. Although its Epic to deal 1000+ damage to a normal lvl 20 player with Soul Fire but i always like to place myself in other's shoes. I would be pissed aswell (Hypocritial as i might be)

I played WoW since BC, and stopped at early Cata. Then started playing the Starter Edition for many years. Infact i never really returned back, played many classes, many races with mixed classed (Except melee because i suck). And i enjoyed most of the process. Up untill the Pre-patch shadowlands. I never expressed this much distaste, masochism and sadism in just one character from 1-20. The experience is good at start, but then it derailes down to an addicting grind of item. The sole fear that knowing they will be eventually nerfed to the ground. I shit you not, i never felt this defeat farming Aqualir than just farming Skhowl's classic Feathered helmet for my Shaman. As both are long ass wait and time consuming, but for Skhowl, rest known that he wont be changed or nerfed. But sweet jesus was i in a rough wagon speeding through many shit to get the most out of my class as a half baked twink. Alas, i couldnt even get any of the Azerite neck, helm and shoulders. nor any of the Legion end quests of each zone (Except Val'Sharrah). You are prob wondering, what took me this long or why was my fat ass late? 1-i didnt know Twinks had an entire forum of thier own, i just assumed that any item pre shadowlands will be broken because Blizzard doesnt have a good track record of scaling. 2-Following blindly on shit and stuff and killing anything to see if they have something to take note of which really killed alot of time and wasted potential.
3-I leveled 12 toons just to try and see the Exile's Reach thing on all classes and races (Dont ask why i did that) and now discovering that non of it mattred because only 1 of them managed to get some of the twink items, which is my warlock. Granted i can still get some of them but the damage has already been done, aint really something jolly to see people having Artifacts that reach beyond 30+ ilvl while my half baked ass is stuck with a dagger and my 1st ever broken item twink, which is the off-hand in Frost Fire Ridge. Needless to say, the pre-patch has certainly made a change. Bad or Worse, its in the end up to debate. I however see it, PVP-wise (being hogtied and getting ass fucked by 5 different dildos) Experience. But PVE wise, im enjoying it. Glad that i can see, try and finish things i have missed in the past years. So, yeah to me twinking has been alot worse.

You would not believe how happy i am when i discovered that the Gurubashi Arena Grand master quest is now available to player lower than 30. Meaning i can actually get it. Only to get even more fucked knowing that the Grand Master Trinket became obsolete when 2 more OP trinks surfaced.
This entire word wall would have been easily avoided if i got all the OP twink items. Yes, i wouldnt have made an account here for the purpose of getting mad on something on the internet if i got everything i wanted, instead i suck badly.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about Pure F2Ps, since they kinda get shafted (going from 6 LFG dungeons to like 2), but they do get Proffs opened up, more PVE, 100% riding, 1000g gold cap, and so much more, so it is kind of a trade-off. As for the OP gear, its understandable to get mad about it, but nobody is doubting that this gear will get nerfed, you're just missing out on all the early pre-patch fun and broken-ness.

Not even two weeks it's been out, wait more to see how things settle down about OP gear.
Yeah, Blizz has been kinda "lazy" on the broken gear they patched, but look also on their side ... there has not been enought time for twinks to wreck levelers in BGs yet. The items broken which got patched were mainly things levelers would see while leveling. They reported it and blizz patched the obtention. Wait that they fight twinks in BGs with twice their HP, and you can be sure they will complain and report the OP gear, leading to future hotfixes.

With all the things that have been changed for F2P, the only thing I regret is their choice of LFG linked to Chromie Time choice, and that F2Ps can't change from those 2 BfA dungeons. But well, everything can't be perfect in our life ... Either new players will complain about that, either we're stuck to the old "vanilla" group finding through communities and with friends to form the group.

Imo all that broken gear will stabilize in the future, when they also correct all the tooltips. For now, just enjoy the chaos of battles. Personnaly, I just do epic BGs because there having good gear is not the only way to be helpful on the battle

I feel the same way about Pure F2Ps, since they kinda get shafted (going from 6 LFG dungeons to like 2), but they do get Proffs opened up, more PVE, 100% riding, 1000g gold cap, and so much more, so it is kind of a trade-off. As for the OP gear, its understandable to get mad about it, but nobody is doubting that this gear will get nerfed, you're just missing out on all the early pre-patch fun and broken-ness.
Know what? Perhaps i took it too hard on myself.
Good for you

buy certain mats, sockets and enchants that will give them a curve
Yeah, but u can get all of it too - not that quickly ofc, but few weekends is mostly enough.
Some of those Broken gear cant be obtained normally by a pure F2P account/starter edition, unlike those who have play time. Like the end quest Pillars of creations in Legion. Hammer Aggrammar quest, Tidestone etc. With the exception of Elune's tear, that thing is the only gear i can get without being handicapped.
Again, u can queue for another dungeon if at least someone can in your group, so go to bgs, instances (or mb even arena, forgot to try it) and ask people - WoW is MMO after all) Or u can just queue while in a group without saying a word like a dush, sometimes works too)
Up untill the Pre-patch shadowlands
Well, Legion pre-patch was kinda messy)

Overall, i would just recommend you to wait because most of the "broken stuff" too obvious (and widespread like someone in a forum already mentioned) so even Blizz will put it down eventually)

Last edited:
As for the second response that mentions the dungeon Que, being purely Starter Edition, i cant invite people, i cant join groups outside of dungeon finding, you cant whisper people, you cant trade people gold for them to atleast carry you, you cant talk in Trade/general chat and you are only limited to 2 dungeons. Not even the chronormu thing works. I get it its an MMO after all, but what is an MMO when you cant even socialize to anyone but only speaking through the normal chat? Took me 2+ hours to wait for someone to come and help me kill Maniacal Madgard because i cannot shout for it nor use Pre-made grouping. ( one last thing i forgot to mention, even if im in a party of people that can que up legion dungeons, they cant because im limited to 2 only. Meaning they have to remove me inorder to que up. Kinda bruh moment if you ask me)

Either way its a little too crazy. Its a little exaggerated at 10 and 20 due to having such a high ilvl compared to level. Damage to health ratios are a problem at every level, and are definitely highlighted at lower levels due to the massive jump in ilvl to level. Socketed gear is no better. I'm pretty fired up about the people with ilvl 49 weps, it might not seem like much, but its the difference of having a weapon from bc vs a weapon from mythic antorus. Pretty huge jump, and I don't consider something that was out for 2 days to be grandfathered, its just bleh. Not only that but its just a little too crazy for me personally. I was pissed that I had real life obligations going on at the time and I missed out. At the same time the idea of 2 shotting a fully geared twink is just insane, and I don't find that appealing, and I'm just hanging out until things settle down to see if I want to participate or back out.

To each their own! I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves!

Either way its a little too crazy. Its a little exaggerated at 10 and 20 due to having such a high ilvl compared to level. Damage to health ratios are a problem at every level, and are definitely highlighted at lower levels due to the massive jump in ilvl to level. Socketed gear is no better. I'm pretty fired up about the people with ilvl 49 weps, it might not seem like much, but its the difference of having a weapon from bc vs a weapon from mythic antorus. Pretty huge jump, and I don't consider something that was out for 2 days to be grandfathered, its just bleh. Not only that but its just a little too crazy for me personally. I was pissed that I had real life obligations going on at the time and I missed out. At the same time the idea of 2 shotting a fully geared twink is just insane, and I don't find that appealing, and I'm just hanging out until things settle down to see if I want to participate or back out.

To each their own! I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves!
Yeah, sadly even in full socket gear our hp pool is so low compared to our damage we just fall over when its twink vs twink, providing the right spec/class of course. This seems to be happening at all brackets, even with just normal gear too.

Ok, so the past 4-5+ weeks the entire twinking system has seen an overhaul. Be it positive or negative. Alot of limitations have been removed which gives the F2P/ Starter Edition accounts much more content to do. But the question is, did the pre-patch make things great or worse?
There are certainly the Good:
1-You are no longer restricted in Pre-TBC/Classic zones only. Now you have the free will to do any expansion of your choice, but to some degree of limitations due to the requirement of some zones needing higher than 20+ LVL.
2-Professions can be now made higher than 100 cap. (I managed to reach 220 on my Enchantment) which can give a better curve for twinking.
3-Mount speed has increased to 100% at LVL20, no more 60% speed.
4-Now you can join many BGs instead of being limited only to Warsong Gultch, Arathi and EOS.
5-Maximum Gold cap has increased to 1000 Gold, instead of 10 gold.
6-Due to the level squish Shadowlands made, you can now play with DeathKnights and Demonhunters starting at level 8.

All of this is great and all, but from here on out im going to be stating the Bad part (least that my opinion, im sure many will disagree)
1-There are always 2 types of Twinks i like to label. The pure F2P twink and the handy work Twink that has a max level character that can help provide a certain item for the low twink. That there, comes the problem (That problem existed way beyond the pre-patch but here its more dominant)
With a twink having a high level character to use he can get items, gear and enchants easily. Unike free f2p starter accounts.(Things ofcourse has changed more with the pre-patch) Lets not also forget Talador's stupid ass phasing in Shattrath. I cant even see nor kill any of the damnable rares there, while flying fuckers carrying low lvl people can.
2-Farming spots, and Camp sights on certain mobs have been rather ehhhh lately. Really jolly to see a lvl50 Obsidian mount carrying a lvl10 Volpera to just one shot an Aqualir that i have been waiting for 2+ hours and miss the loot. (Yes i am salty about it and im making this post just to vent and cry about it)
3- While still unable to use the mail box and the Auction house, some with play-time can access them and buy certain mats, sockets and enchants that will give them a curve. Unlike pure f2p.

And then we enter the Ugly zone, which i both like and dislike about it.
1-Thanks to Blizzard's poor scaling at the start of the Pre-patch, some broken items have surfaced. Items that have higher ILVL and stats than the average lvl20 gear. By now everyone or the majority has it.
2-Some of those Broken gear cant be obtained normally by a pure F2P account/starter edition, unlike those who have play time. Like the end quest Pillars of creations in Legion. Hammer Aggrammar quest, Tidestone etc. With the exception of Elune's tear, that thing is the only gear i can get without being handicapped. Why? Because it doesnt require you to enter/ finish a legion dungeon. You cant do any other dungeon that is not fucking Atal'Dazar or Freehold, "Why dont you use the Chronormu system?" It doesnt work of f2p account, it says i need game time inorder to use it. Same like stopping the XP bar at lvl 19 and unable to join any bg bec i dont have any game time. Jolly. (If there is a way to get the rest of the pillars with an f2p account i would be more than delighted to know).
3-Thanks to that ridicules hyper fast grind, blizzard have nerfed the majority of the items meaning those who got it 1st hand will be broken in pvp. It pains me to see that i barely managed to gear up my Warlock (while still failing to get the HoA due to the nerf they did) i cant gear the rest of my other character. Im now stuck with a half baked twink. Can hardly call it a twink with people towering up to 3K Health pool while i barely reach 1.9K. I really cant enjoy the process of leveling another character and doing all this nightmare again.
4-Those who started the twinking late, will be severly handicapped due to the fact that they missed 90% of the broke ass shit a 10-20 player can do as of now. Although its Epic to deal 1000+ damage to a normal lvl 20 player with Soul Fire but i always like to place myself in other's shoes. I would be pissed aswell (Hypocritial as i might be)

I played WoW since BC, and stopped at early Cata. Then started playing the Starter Edition for many years. Infact i never really returned back, played many classes, many races with mixed classed (Except melee because i suck). And i enjoyed most of the process. Up untill the Pre-patch shadowlands. I never expressed this much distaste, masochism and sadism in just one character from 1-20. The experience is good at start, but then it derailes down to an addicting grind of item. The sole fear that knowing they will be eventually nerfed to the ground. I shit you not, i never felt this defeat farming Aqualir than just farming Skhowl's classic Feathered helmet for my Shaman. As both are long ass wait and time consuming, but for Skhowl, rest known that he wont be changed or nerfed. But sweet jesus was i in a rough wagon speeding through many shit to get the most out of my class as a half baked twink. Alas, i couldnt even get any of the Azerite neck, helm and shoulders. nor any of the Legion end quests of each zone (Except Val'Sharrah). You are prob wondering, what took me this long or why was my fat ass late? 1-i didnt know Twinks had an entire forum of thier own, i just assumed that any item pre shadowlands will be broken because Blizzard doesnt have a good track record of scaling. 2-Following blindly on shit and stuff and killing anything to see if they have something to take note of which really killed alot of time and wasted potential.
3-I leveled 12 toons just to try and see the Exile's Reach thing on all classes and races (Dont ask why i did that) and now discovering that non of it mattred because only 1 of them managed to get some of the twink items, which is my warlock. Granted i can still get some of them but the damage has already been done, aint really something jolly to see people having Artifacts that reach beyond 30+ ilvl while my half baked ass is stuck with a dagger and my 1st ever broken item twink, which is the off-hand in Frost Fire Ridge. Needless to say, the pre-patch has certainly made a change. Bad or Worse, its in the end up to debate. I however see it, PVP-wise (being hogtied and getting ass fucked by 5 different dildos) Experience. But PVE wise, im enjoying it. Glad that i can see, try and finish things i have missed in the past years. So, yeah to me twinking has been alot worse.

You would not believe how happy i am when i discovered that the Gurubashi Arena Grand master quest is now available to player lower than 30. Meaning i can actually get it. Only to get even more fucked knowing that the Grand Master Trinket became obsolete when 2 more OP trinks surfaced.
This entire word wall would have been easily avoided if i got all the OP twink items. Yes, i wouldnt have made an account here for the purpose of getting mad on something on the internet if i got everything i wanted, instead i suck badly.

„flying fuckers carrying low lvl people“

So you basically want all that a subbed / vet account can do but dont wanna spend any money on it?!

use your pocket money 13 euro for a sub... or stfu

TLDR: big mimimimimimi

Yeah, sadly even in full socket gear our hp pool is so low compared to our damage we just fall over when its twink vs twink, providing the right spec/class of course. This seems to be happening at all brackets, even with just normal gear too.
Yeah man, my level 50 rogue is about a 130 ilvl. I can drop people in 3-4 globals, but I can also get smoked in 3-4 globals. So odd, lol.

even if im in a party of people that can que up legion dungeons, they cant because im limited to 2 only
Is this really a thing? I personally queue up Azhara, Wardens and random Legion (which was Warden again)
I saw some screens with limited options, but though that was a bug - can anyone clarify full restriction list on group reg for trials, please?

There have been many things that have fallen through the cracks.

One could wait till the nerfs finally hit, or try their hand at finding the next overlooked gem.

Chromie time being GF'd is terrible. No way of getting around that. It's one of the only things I see as being a potential problem for this bracket.

Chromie time or not though, there are quite a few dungeons people can physically enter but not queue for. I'm in that predicament myself. I'm sure there are other people on this website that are in a similar predicament. Inquire instead to see if there are others that have dungeons they need to run and maybe a P2P that can group. I wasn't queueing for most Legion dungeons when prepatch hit and was instead physically summoning for them with a bunch of different friends from here.

The harsh reality is it's much rougher now to go it alone. What I took from this thread is you want advice. Find other people you like to play with. Think about subbing an account for a month for 15 dollars. Or really, just being honest, there are plenty of other great games out there.

There have been many things that have fallen through the cracks.

One could wait till the nerfs finally hit, or try their hand at finding the next overlooked gem.

Chromie time being GF'd is terrible. No way of getting around that. It's one of the only things I see as being a potential problem for this bracket.

Chromie time or not though, there are quite a few dungeons people can physically enter but not queue for. I'm in that predicament myself. I'm sure there are other people on this website that are in a similar predicament. Inquire instead to see if there are others that have dungeons they need to run and maybe a P2P that can group. I wasn't queueing for most Legion dungeons when prepatch hit and was instead physically summoning for them with a bunch of different friends from here.

The harsh reality is it's much rougher now to go it alone. What I took from this thread is you want advice. Find other people you like to play with. Think about subbing an account for a month for 15 dollars. Or really, just being honest, there are plenty of other great games out there.
Im afraid i dont have anyone to play with or anyone on friends list. Most of my f2p playthrough has always been solo. But i appreciate the handy tip, maybe i should move on to something till the fire calms down. Or blizzard fucks it up more.

Im afraid i dont have anyone to play with or anyone on friends list. Most of my f2p playthrough has always been solo.
Conveniently, this forum is full of very active and engaged F2P players, who are all (ok, mostly) nice people who enjoy playing with other people from the forums. You can probably find some people here or in the discord to group with :)

Conveniently, this forum is full of very active and engaged F2P players, who are all (ok, mostly) nice people who enjoy playing with other people from the forums. You can probably find some people here or in the discord to group with :)
I would be more than happy to enjoy some time with the community here. Ill consider joining the Discord then.

I would be more than happy to enjoy some time with the community here. Ill consider joining the Discord then.
There is also a discord server specifically for level 20 content in addition to the XPOff forums official discord.

https://discord.gg/xpuKdGy

For grouping or adding friends as a ftp that is probably the best spot for that. It’s a good, popular server. Not some random low activity. Some posters here and our French supermoderator run it

Users who are viewing this thread