Set bonuses on pre WOD gear inactive in legion

legion patch notes

"Set bonuses for item sets from expansions prior to Warlords of Draenor have been deactivated, though the text describing their former function still remains."

this affects many levels of twinks, while gear don't matter in PVP other than item level, this is rather drastic for those that duel and world PVP. i know some 70's that farmed some serious mats to reverse gear for the BC starter crafted epics that have some killer 2 and 3 pc bonuses, same goes for 80, 85, 90's

in 19's, defias set bonuses added value to owning the set

My guess is that they heard everyone loud and clear about the game lacking the sense of community that it once had. At the risk of sounding paranoid, I'll say that removing lower level set bonuses and merging xp off brackets with xp on could be an attempt to force players into max level content and abandon their twinks so that there are more people playing end-game thus creating a greater chance to bringing back that community. Blizzard could be trying to kill twinking off in order to ensure that New players don't have to deal with us. Could be that they just don't want to change the set bonuses that affect abilities that they pruned too...

Last edited:
My guess is that they heard everyone loud and clear about the game lacking the sense of community that it once had. At the risk of sounding paranoid, I'll say that removing lower level set bonuses and merging xp off brackets with xp on could be an attempt to force players into max level content and abandon their tinks so that there are more people playing end-game thus creating a greater chance to bringing back that community. Blizzard could be trying to kill tinking off in order to ensure that New players don't have to deal with us. Could be that they just don't want to change the set bonuses that affect abilities that they pruned too...
I'm pretty sure Blizzard paid zero notice to us when making this change. After all our community accumulate to less than 1% of their player base.

Btw does this change only apply to PvP?

I'm pretty sure Blizzard paid zero notice to us when making this change. After all our community accumulate to less than 1% of their player base.

Btw does this change only apply to PvP?
On the official forums the main complaint is how this will effect timewalking dungeons. Some are saying the reason for this change is rogues using an equipment-swap macro to take advantage of an old set bonus which gives a significant increase in the effectiveness of slice n dice before a pull. I'll admit that their reason makes more sense than my hypothesis. I wasn't aware that there were so few twinks...where the Hell did you get that stat anyways?

This is very old news and has been brought up in multiple threads discussing Legion already, but regardless..
@AlisterCrow The removal of set bonuses in pvp is simply part of the whole "we want everyone to be on a level playing field" idea. Trinkets also won't do anything in low level Legion pvp.
The idea is that everyone has set stat templates (can be increased very slightly by ilvl). If set bonuses and trinket effects etc. were still active that would completely ruin the concept of everyone having "the same gear".
Like @Snack said this change is obviously not because of twinking.

This is very old news and has been brought up in multiple threads discussing Legion already, but regardless..
@AlisterCrow The removal of set bonuses in pvp is simply part of the whole "we want everyone to be on a level playing field" idea. Trinkets also won't do anything in low level Legion pvp.
The idea is that everyone has set stat templates (can be increased very slightly by ilvl). If set bonuses and trinket effects etc. were still active that would completely ruin the concept of everyone having "the same gear".
Like @Snack said this change is obviously not because of tinking.
The removal of set bonuses in PvP is old news; however, the removal of pre-wod set bonuses in pve is fairly new.

Does the change affect PvE as well?

And @AlisterCrow I based my assumption on the fact that there was around 25-30k accounts on TI, and even when you add 10-20k to that, since not every tink has an account ofc (even though some might have several accounts), it still only accumulate to around 1% of the WoW population (assuming that the playerbase has dropped to around 5 million, after they stopped anouncing it). Obviously the WiW playerbase could be a little below 5 mil, but you get the point

Does the change affect PvE as well?

And @AlisterCrow I based my assumption on the fact that there was around 25-30k accounts on TI, and even when you add 10-20k to that, since not every tink has an account ofc (even though some might have several accounts), it still only accumulate to around 1% of the WoW population (assuming that the playerbase has dropped to around 5 million, after they stopped anouncing it). Obviously the WiW playerbase could be a little below 5 mil, but you get the point
Well, whatever the statistic isn't important anyways. I admit that twinking probably had nothing to do with it. From what I gather all set bonuses before wod will be removed in all aspects of the game, but the text describing what they used to do will remain for some stupid reason.

@Snack I think you actually vastly overestimate the ratio of twinks to TI/xpoff users. Especially in the 60 and 70 brackets it's only like 1 in 30 people who has an account.
Not to mention all the non english speaking twinks out there.

@Snack I think you actually vastly overestimate the ratio of tinks to TI/xpoff users. Especially in the 60 and 70 brackets it's only like 1 in 30 people who has an account.
Not to mention all the non english speaking tinks out there.
Might be yes, but since not every single user on XPoff twinks actively, and some have several accounts registered, I just used it as an estimate.

A lot more than 1% have twinked at some point, but they aren't active members of the twink community and thus don't help to strengthen our voice regarding changes like this

Users who are viewing this thread