Rolling a Ret

PapaPumpkin

Veteran
Wanting to roll a Paladin for the first time.
Wanting to try out Ret before the other 2 specs. What's a good stat priority for Ret right now?

My initial thought was Str>Haste>Vers>Crit

But im really unsure where to go with it.

Primary stats are almost always the highest weighted stat for every class. There are very few exceptions - and those exceptions universally revolve around whack mastery scaling for certain specializations.

Haste is good. Vers is good. Crit comes from most of your TBC socket pieces and probably isn't worth going all in on.

Haste makes Ret feel more fluid. Vers on a spec with off-healing is generally always going to be worth stacking. Crit is sort of the odd man out for Ret - but it does come with the niche of making your Hammer of Justice burst windows as bursty as possible, if for whatever reason that matters to you. 2v2 Ret gods, looking at you.

Try to find a good balance. If u just get one gear set I would go aurora on off pieces. If possible gather quickblade aswell and find a balance between haste/crit/versa.
Personally I always aim to keep minimum 20% haste in bg

Also tusk is nice for rets and ember of nullification trinket

Ember doesn't proc anymore, right?

As of like 9.1 I haven't seen ember ever proc anymore.

Ember doesn't proc anymore, right?

As of like 9.1 I haven't seen ember ever proc anymore.
How u tracking it?
I used it for a few days on 9.1 and it had procs, according to enemy debuffs counted on Details, but it had no procs on duels made with mates..

I think haste is a waste on ret. It hardly affects holy power generation, and your autos aren't a big deal. If you're worried about HP generation, use https://www.wowhead.com/spell=204914/divine-punisher as your PvP talent.

Run crit + mastery and you hit like a freight train. 30% crit, then the rest into mastery and versatility. Use Baron's for a weapon
Haste is dope because of cooldown. Faster cooldowns faster Holy power generation. Just a personal preference, I played both crit mastery and haste vers. I prefer haste vers.

Haste is dope because of cooldown. Faster cooldowns faster Holy power generation. Just a personal preference, I played both crit mastery and haste vers. I prefer haste vers.

Yeah, to each their own. I just wasn't seeing enough benefit from haste.

At 25% haste, cooldowns only get reduced by about 20%.
  • Crusader Strike - 6s > 4.8s
  • Judgement - 12s > 9.6s
  • Blade of Justice -12s > 9.6
Right now I'm 34% crit, 5% haste, 14% vers, 36% mastery. There's a little downtime, but I like a bursty playstyle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread