EU+US Resist Gear

101Warriors

Veteran
Does anyone know any such resist gear where the resist still works? I have tested multiple pieces of gear to try and find some but none of them seem to reduce damage. Any input helps!

I equipped 21 fire resistance on a level 60 character and got resists on fire damage cast against me. Some of the resists were around the 7.1% mark. Others were around 3.7%.

The original equation for resists was: Average Resistance = (Target's Resistance / (Caster's Level * 5)) * 0.75
Under that equation: (21 / (60 * 5)) *.75 = .0525, or 5.25% fire resist.

Getting 7.1% and 3.7% resists split almost evenly over time fits the expected average of 5.25% resist. It all should still work, but you'll get a smaller level of resists at higher levels.

Source: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Resistance

I equipped 21 fire resistance on a level 60 character and got resists on fire damage cast against me. Some of the resists were around the 7.1% mark. Others were around 3.7%.

The original equation for resists was: Average Resistance = (Target's Resistance / (Caster's Level * 5)) * 0.75
Under that equation: (21 / (60 * 5)) *.75 = .0525, or 5.25% fire resist.

Getting 7.1% and 3.7% resists split almost evenly over time fits the expected average of 5.25% resist. It all should still work, but you'll get a smaller level of resists at higher levels.

Source: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Resistance

Merits for this!, while I have found this source others may have not, its good to have a reference point. I have not tried level 60 resist gear yet, may I ask which level 60 gear you used, it would be much appreciated. Its just that many a resist gear don't actually do anything, or yet I don't see them do anything. Thanks!

Fireproof Cloak +10
Seal of the Archmagus +3
Boots of Transcendence +5
Enchant Cloak - Greater Resistance +3

The cloak enchant was removed in Mists of Pandaria, but it's grandfathered. It used to be 5, but reads as 3.

It makes sense that there may be issues with the way higher levels deal with resists. I did use a level 60 with 60 gear against level 60 enemies to test. It was the only character I had with resist gear that I could find easily.

*edit* Linked the wrong enchant originally.

*second edit* I tried putting some fire resist equipment on a level 101. 94 fire resist at that level should've been 14.25% resist, but I didn't get a single miss or reduced damage fire spell in the log. The equipment used was the 4 pieces of fire resist gear from the Shattrath vendor (Inferno Hardened).

*third edit* I tried the same 4 pieces of equipment (Inferno Hardened) on a level 70 character. The expected resists should've been 20.15% with the previous equation, but I got an average of 35.4% after 40 casts. It worked better than usual. It seems less that some equipment doesn't work with resists and more like current enemies might have a flag that ignores traditional resists.

Last edited:
Fireproof Cloak +10
Seal of the Archmagus +3
Boots of Transcendence +5
Enchant Cloak - Greater Resistance +3

The cloak enchant was removed in Mists of Pandaria, but it's grandfathered. It used to be 5, but reads as 3.

It makes sense that there may be issues with the way higher levels deal with resists. I did use a level 60 with 60 gear against level 60 enemies to test. It was the only character I had with resist gear that I could find easily.

*edit* Linked the wrong enchant originally.

*second edit* I tried putting some fire resist equipment on a level 101. 94 fire resist at that level should've been 14.25% resist, but I didn't get a single miss or reduced damage fire spell in the log. The equipment used was the 4 pieces of fire resist gear from the Shattrath vendor (Inferno Hardened).

*third edit* I tried the same 4 pieces of equipment (Inferno Hardened) on a level 70 character. The expected resists should've been 20.15% with the previous equation, but I got an average of 35.4% after 40 casts. It worked better than usual. It seems less that some equipment doesn't work with resists and more like current enemies might have a flag that ignores traditional resists.

Thanks again! This is exactly what I was looking for. I would agree with you on the current enemies theory except I found one thing that occurred. While I never looked for resist gear in MoP or before MoP, I did obtain Crown of Woe in WoD and tested it on the cinder enemies that deal fire damage in Timeless Isle. It resisted on average about 20-30% damage. I took that same helmet back to Timeless Isle later at 110 in legion and it resisted nothing, full damage every time. Resist gear seems to be acting strangely, may have something to do with level based on your tests. Still though thanks!, It's nice to know resist gear works some of the time at least.

To anyone interested in resist gear;

I did a fair amount of testing on this after Spryless tested his level 60 gear. The resist does indeed work on lower characters, easily testable by fire damage from the lava in Blackrock Mountain. With around +13 fire resist from Blazing Emblem it resisted it roughly every 1 in 4 hits on a level 60 Disc Priest. I took that same Blazing Emblem item on my 117 Rogue and went to Blackrock Mountain. I retested the resist through the lava;It did not resist a single time. It appears to me rather than a flag that prevents higher level enemies from being resisted, there is a level cap on resists continuing to function for your character or its just both a flag and level cap.

Edit: I wanted to add on after all these months that this level "cap" works both ways in terms of deterioration. The higher the level you are and the higher the level you face both effect how much more resist you need to it to actively function. This means that once your a certain level resist is not worth the decrease in stats you get if you choose it. Along with this, if you face a higher level character it is most likely resist will not be worth it over the other stats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread