Research study on WoW players

Virtidentity

Hello,

I am currently doing a research project for my PhD at the University of Barcelona about WoW players and their characters.

My thesis will be about identity exploration and online videogames. As someone who has dabbled in both the gaming and research worlds, I think the research being done on the field of gaming needs a lot of improvement, which is why I want to do my bit in making a more rigorous research on videogames that goes beyond the overdone topic “videogames good vs videogames bad”. I really think that research on videogames can provide a lot more to the scientific community and society in general.

I am currently looking for World of Warcraft players who might want to participate by completing a brief survey and answering some questions in an online interview.

The link to the survey is the following: https://ubpsychology.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cSlw8tHptYaxoIl

If you wish to know more about the project, just ask me and I will be more than happy to explain. My official contact email is: virtualidentityub@gmail.com

Great initiative!

I feel like you’re gonna get the edgelord, loner, incel personality archetype here, especially among those ex-19s lmao.

Hello,
I just submitted my survey, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!!

I am currently doing a research project for my PhD at the University of Barcelona about WoW players and their characters.

My thesis will be about identity exploration and online videogames. As someone who has dabbled in both the gaming and research worlds, I think the research being done on the field of gaming needs a lot of improvement, which is why I want to do my bit in making a more rigorous research on videogames that goes beyond the overdone topic “videogames good vs videogames bad”. I really think that research on videogames can provide a lot more to the scientific community and society in general.

I am currently looking for World of Warcraft players who might want to participate by completing a brief survey and answering some questions in an online interview.

The link to the survey is the following: https://ubpsychology.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cSlw8tHptYaxoIl

If you wish to know more about the project, just ask me and I will be more than happy to explain. My official contact email is: virtualidentityub@gmail.com

It takes a certain kind of player to pursue twinking to its limits, are you not worried this will skew your results? Might be better for the study to post this on the official forums or ask 1/10 players that run by you in stormwind/org if they’d help. Could also /who and randomly sample from there.

It takes a certain kind of player to pursue twinking to its limits, are you not worried this will skew your results? Might be better for the study to post this on the official forums or ask 1/10 players that run by you in stormwind/org if they’d help. Could also /who and randomly sample from there.

I suspect data from the twinking community won't skew results as much as you might suspect. Most people don't twink to push limits. And to be fair, that doesn't make the community any less valuable, it just makes us a niche flavor in the WoW universe, and good research should expose any differences (and hopefully appear in the OP's report).

Really interesting thesis topic you've got there.
Will be happy to answer when I get some quiet time tonight - best of luck with your studies.

Last edited:

Thank you for the suggestions, I have not played myself in a while for economic reasons but if I manage to come back I will definitely try this!

Also, given that I take the sample from a variety of places the differences coming from specific communities should not affect the results overall (also, if the twinkling community could really have an impact on the results, all the more reason for including them and explore this impact!)
[doublepost=1618480453,1618480377][/doublepost]Thank you all for participating and your support, really, it was an awesome thing to wake up to!

Users who are viewing this thread