EU+US Reasons to play a starter account in Legion

AlisterCrow

Grandfathered
With all the hype surrounding the new end-game, I'd like to list some reasons why people should play in the 20-29 bracket instead. This is in hopes of bringing more activity to the bracket and get back to instant or near-instant queues. Maybe other people will have the same reasons that I do; maybe you have your own reasons.

#1: Character progression and the means of said progression.....after hitting 110 on my lock I was able to see pretty quickly that doing dungeons rarely rewarded gear and that doing PvP rarely rewarded gear. I got most of my gear from world quests which are all mind-numbingly easy. I literally gained 20 item levels in two days and only received three pieces of gear after running heroic dungeons back to back for hours on end. Doing more difficult content did not reward me better than doing easier content. I got two pieces of mythic warforged gear and I did normal mode dungeons to get them because a stupid world quest procced. I know raids and rated BGs aren't even out but I get the feeling that I'll be doing rated battlegrounds and be rewarded nothing more than artifact power from the BG and will be getting my "PvP gear" from world quests.

As a trial account toon, character progression is closer to how things used to be; you run a dungeon and you get gear drops, you do pvp and you purchase gear with the currency you get from said pvp. After months, years even, of players telling Blizzard how much they dislike the amount of RNG in the game, they have decided to ignore us and double-down on RNG in order to keep players subbed longer and try to hook players with an addictive gambling-like system. If you're tired of all the RNG at end-game and can't justify paying for that sytem, then this bracket offers some escape from that. The only thing that is similar is the http://www.wowhead.com/item=135539/crate-of-battlefield-goods that now drops as a reward for winning a random battleground. There is much less RNG at this level and it feels so much better to play.

#2: Artifact weapons seemed cool at first but they actually suck......does anyone actually think it's a good idea to have gated specializations? Because that's basically what artifact weapons are; a way to make people play longer just to gain artifact power in order to change specs. I played for 6-7 hours just to get an extra 5% damage to my spell woohoo. In the past, if you played for 5-6 hours trying to make your character stronger, would you would most certainly see a larger increase than 5% to one spell; you would see an increase in your overall dmg.

Again, trial accounts don't have the burden of gated specs. If you want to swap specs, the only thing you need is the gear for that spec which is how it should be. If you were to invest 5-6 hours of game-time in to a 20, you would almost certainly be fully geared and in BGs/Dungeons having fun.

#3: They flat out lied about class order halls not being garrisons 2.0. Remember hearing that your followers would be sent out to discover something for you to do? Yeah, those are rare missions, the rest of them are for artifact power, gold, or follower XP and gear for your followers. The only reason they kept this crap around is so that you can download their mobile app so they can make more money. Everyone made fun of the garrison in WoD saying that it was like a crappy cellphone game, well they took that criticism and turned it in to an actuall cellphone game. I almost forgot to mention that you will need to raise your followers ilvl to 850 before you can get into blizzard's next mega-dungeon: the return to Karazhan. Blizzard stated that the order hall mission table would not be mandatory for content. They lied......just like they did in WoD.

#4: The only good end-game zone is Surumar......everything else was nice looking aside from the blatant copy/paste of older zones like Gilneas in Azsuna. I only felt immersed with the story in Surumar because Blizz actually did those quests right, well almost right. 25-50 rep per quest? Oh but I get more artifact power....yay. What a shame that this beautifully made zone has such underwhelming rewards for being there not to mention that it's mandatory for unlocking several instances.

Why pay a subscription for world-content that isn't much better than the content you get in your character's starting-zone? You could be doing something similar for free.

#5: You don't have to grind all the way up to level 110 to get to the "good stuff"
It's much less tedious to level up to 20 and start progression than it is to level all the way up to 110 only to be gated by a new sytem that slows your character progression to a crawl. Many 110s are not playing alts at all due to how gated character progression is now.

#6. You won't have that many abilities at max lvl either...
One of the criticisms of twinks in the past is that they're not as skilled as max level players because there aren't as many abilities at level 20. Well, in Legion many classes have more spells available at level 20 than ever before and as someone who has played several high-level toons this expansion, they don't really have that much more to work with anymore.

#7. You're not paying for Blizzard's laziness......well, maybe laziness isn't the right word, but it seems to me that all Blizzard is capable of doing these days is recreating other games with a few little differences and what Legion seems to be is the product of them trying to recreate WoW.....it's like there's a bunch of money hungry new guys on the team or something(sarcasm).

I'm not paying for this crap. And I can understand why you wouldn't either. I'll just work on getting those sweet PvP titles at lower lvls like Conqeuror, of the Horde and the coveted Bloodthirsty title. I'm going back to how I started playing this game, as a f2p twink.

Perhaps someone else would like to list their reasons for playing @20? I realize my list is mostly reasons not to play end-game, but the main one is that It feels fundamentally wrong to pay them for ruining my favorite game.

Last edited:
You just have no money to pay wow lol
Maybe you just returned to wow or something, but you can buy game time with gold which is super easy to get. Unfortunately someone had to give money to blizzard for that wow token to exist and I'm at the point where I won't even do that. I'm excited to start working on a twink again. I haven't done any twinkling in a while.

I've been pure F2P for a year now(?), and I can say it's a lot more enjoyable for me than sub. I've been playing WoW for a long time, but the only thing I've been able to really enjoy is BGs. Raiding and PVE'ing are stressful sometimes as a healer, especially at the start of the xpac when mana is a huge issue. I eventually got tired doing PVE and just flat out grinded BGs, but the amount of time and effort that had to be put into gearing up is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, that a majority of this time is just sitting around getting stomped on by people who are actually fully geared. As a F2P, this was less of an issue, and with Legion dropping, F2P is in the best state it's been in a long time. That being said, I'm going to veer off-topic and list a few things that might make me resub:

1. New Capital City (Probably not going to happen, knowing Blizz)
2. New Cute-Looking mount (Hamster? Chicken?, all the new mounts scream "wannabe badass", but they're all ugly)
3. Complete Removal of Garrison Tech (It disgusts me)

Minor Things I Want:
Blood Draining Illusion
Common Legion Blade/ilvl 100 Trident ( but I think it's nerfed on the ptr)

I mainly quit because of WoD, and I'm not looking to resub anytime soon. WoD left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm not going to be resubbing for a long time.

I got bored of end game about a year and a half ago (in the midst of WoD). Prior to that was sub'd for 5 years straight. I haven't signed up for Legion yet. When they brought out Shipyards (Garrison 2.0 - so I guess that technically makes Order Halls - Garrison 3.0) I felt like blowing chunks :eek:
They also made PvP gearing way too easy in WoD. I used to prefer the old Conquest system where it took like a few months to be fully geared for PvP with constant arena. It gave you something to work towards if you liked PvP. People can gear too easily now. Not sure exactly about the Legion system, I guess it's more RNG style now rather than straight up earning your gear.

For now I'm happy playing Vet / F2P. PvP is fun and achievement hunting and exploring while in queues also keeps it from being boring. Sure, I miss some of the other higher level bg's and the complexity of top end arena from time to time, but I appreciate this lower level bracket. It's fun bumping quite often into the same people, in arena and in bg's. It gives PvP some character. There's certain toons I come up against in arena quite frequently and I know it's going to be on like Donkey Kong because they are good. I feel from that perspective it's nice having quite a few repeat toons, something that doesn't happen so often at end game.

So for me, been 18 months at Vet / F2P and plan on continuing this for the foreseeable future. I also agree with @Dragpz that F2P is in a good state now in terms of instanced PvP. For that I'm thankful to Blizz.;)

I've been pure F2P for a year now(?), and I can say it's a lot more enjoyable for me than sub. I've been playing WoW for a long time, but the only thing I've been able to really enjoy is BGs. Raiding and PVE'ing are stressful sometimes as a healer, especially at the start of the xpac when mana is a huge issue. I eventually got tired doing PVE and just flat out grinded BGs, but the amount of time and effort that had to be put into gearing up is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, that a majority of this time is just sitting around getting stomped on by people who are actually fully geared. As a F2P, this was less of an issue, and with Legion dropping, F2P is in the best state it's been in a long time. That being said, I'm going to veer off-topic and list a few things that might make me resub:

1. New Capital City (Probably not going to happen, knowing Blizz)
2. New Cute-Looking mount (Hamster? Chicken?, all the new mounts scream "wannabe badass", but they're all ugly)
3. Complete Removal of Garrison Tech (It disgusts me)

Minor Things I Want:
Blood Draining Illusion
Common Legion Blade/ilvl 100 Trident ( but I think it's nerfed on the ptr)

I mainly quit because of WoD, and I'm not looking to resub anytime soon. WoD left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm not going to be resubbing for a long time.
You brought up a huge reason to play this bracket that I can't believe I left out: The fact that 20s can go toe-to-toe with 29s is something that's incredibly appealing. Also, there's a Fox mount that's pretty adorable. I'm definitely going to grab that before my sub expires.

I played endgame pve in wrath, then got bored and quit wow. Then i moved to the states and discovered starter editions in cata, i was excited to try it out and had no interest in endgame anymore. I had a blast leveling my new toon to 20 and when i began to Q for bgs i quickly realized i had entered a part of wow that kind of felt exclusive, and was a ton of fun even from my very first time as a noob getting wrecked in my 600 health gear lol. I saw all the geared players and skilled players makin moves so that motivated me to stay in the bracket and improve myself each time i log in. Once i discovered AP in cata, i knew i had found what i was looking for. I now was part of a community that all enjoyed playing their 20s, whether it was pve adventures or pvp clashes and it was just great knowing i didnt have to put in as much time into the game just to be able to have fun. I was different from alot of the newcomers during that time, bc i wanted to play with the best and be able to keep up, and what set me apart is i actually did get better in a very short period of time even though i wasn't actively playing like i am now. Back then i played maybe a couple days a week and during those days it was a couple hours a day. I was able to get into some very fun premades with the top ap players at the time, and by the end of the xpac i was putting out numbers higher than my fellow comrades. Once the mop pre patch went live alot of my f2p pals didn't want to adapt and simply quit the bracket while others stayed and learned the new meta. MOP did not seem like it was going to be as good as cata, but my love for the bracket kept me around and i ended up having alot of good times during mop. It was a special time because 20s got scaled up to 24 inside bgs, so that changed how bgs went down and alot of 24s quit due to that change. F2ps loved it because in cata it was 20-24 but 24s were 4 levels higher which made them hard to hit sometimes depending on ur hit rating. Also 24s of cata were very very strong compared to f2ps because they had some op abilities and enchants. 24s of mop hated the fact f2ps are now their level inside bgs, so the only advantage they had was some gear and enchants. I played f2ps in mop for a good while and then i discovered ele shamans getting lightning bolt while moving and at the time 22 ele shamans had some awesome spells that 20s didn't have, so i decided to sub and make myself a 22 dwarf ele sham. I had alot of fun playing it until we lost LB while moving rip. Then the end of mop came during the wod pre patch. This period for me was probably the worst i ever experienced in the bracket. I had returned to f2p for the pre patch and noticed i wasn't fighting 24s anymore, but 29s now. And on top of that they were even more op than past 24s because they had glyphs and loads of abilities. I knew f2ps had lost their place and just weren't effective at all now, so alot of f2ps including myself took a break. During this break alot of 29s were playing and winning every match vs the weak f2ps, and the 29s believed they had conquered the bracket and made it theirs. Once the last few months of wod came, i decided i would make some 29s of my own and show them how we f2ps get down in the bgs when we get access to 9 more levels and gear and enchants. Just as i predicted, i began winning bgs vs premades of 29 brewmasters/ferals/spriests/druids/rogues and all that good stuff. It was alot of fun and i had some great bgs but i knew this wasn't the same as the f2p life i came to know and love back in cata. I played my 29s until the legion pre patch came, which basically brought me back to 20s. Legion has made the bracket the best it has ever been, we 20s can now bg/arena vs 29 tinks almost on even ground and i say almost because the only thing separating us now is some spells/abilities which are actually subject to change based on ptr updates. As a current level 20 tink, i gotta say what a time to be alive :cool:

Legion is pretty nice. The questing zone are actually quite fun. I like the way everything scales as you level and your reward scales as you level as well. The storyline is pretty awesome as well.
The World Quests are a nice addition as long as one does them in moderation. Many of them you have to go group into a raid if you want to finish them. I also like the way rep has been done. It can't just be grinded out.
The class hall stuff does not really worry me. If there is a "Garrisons 2.0" that would be awesome as I made millions of gold because of Garrisons. Though, I doubt Blizzard would make that mistake again. As far as the mobile app goes, it is a welcome feature. I can level up my followers/do missions while I am not at home. Who could ask for more?
5% gain may not seem like a lot at first but 5% here and 5% there sure do add up. Before too long you have a huge gain when they are all added together. Besides, don't twinks gain "only 5%" by using the correct armor type in a BG? I bet any good twink is using their correct armor type plus a max ilvl just to gain an even less of a percentage of a power gain.
Professions will come with time. Another thing I am too worried about.
The only profession I have really seriously worked on is fishing. I have already gotten the new fountain achievement, the new fish mount and only one rare fish away from the Artifact Fishing pole.

I usually play lowbies one night a week and play endgame 2-3 other evenings. Eventually I will go back to playing lowbies 2-3 evenings. For now, there is just too much content. Too many mounts to be had, too many pets to catch, too many achievements to be made...

Reactions: Fry
As you mentioned yourself - you didn't list a single reason to play the 20-29 bracket.

I think you'll find that most people are actually enjoying Legion endgame. If you dislike the state of the game and the company behind it, I don't see a reason to play the game at all. F2p or not.

As a f2p/veteran once you have geared up, you have only to play to have fun. As a sub you work (questing, questing and even more questing, world quests, missions) to have some fun in the near (when?) future.

As you mentioned yourself - you didn't list a single reason to play the 20-29 bracket.

I think you'll find that most people are actually enjoying Legion endgame. If you dislike the state of the game and the company behind it, I don't see a reason to play the game at all. F2p or not.
Didn't list a SINGLE reason? You must have just skimmed through it. Reasons not to play end-game are reasons to play a twink if you love the game enough to not want to just stop playing altogether . Also see numbers 5, 6 and 7.

Legion is pretty nice. The questing zone are actually quite fun. I like the way everything scales as you level and your reward scales as you level as well. The storyline is pretty awesome as well.
The World Quests are a nice addition as long as one does them in moderation. Many of them you have to go group into a raid if you want to finish them. I also like the way rep has been done. It can't just be grinded out.
The class hall stuff does not really worry me. If there is a "Garrisons 2.0" that would be awesome as I made millions of gold because of Garrisons. Though, I doubt Blizzard would make that mistake again. As far as the mobile app goes, it is a welcome feature. I can level up my followers/do missions while I am not at home. Who could ask for more?
5% gain may not seem like a lot at first but 5% here and 5% there sure do add up. Before too long you have a huge gain when they are all added together. Besides, don't twinks gain "only 5%" by using the correct armor type in a BG? I bet any good twink is using their correct armor type plus a max ilvl just to gain an even less of a percentage of a power gain.
Professions will come with time. Another thing I am too worried about.
The only profession I have really seriously worked on is fishing. I have already gotten the new fountain achievement, the new fish mount and only one rare fish away from the Artifact Fishing pole.

I usually play lowbies one night a week and play endgame 2-3 other evenings. Eventually I will go back to playing lowbies 2-3 evenings. For now, there is just too much content. Too many mounts to be had, too many pets to catch, too many achievements to be made...
I'm not sure what you're doing in here defending end-game......perhaps listing reasons not to quit end-game and join the f2p community? Maybe you're suggesting that people should only play f2p twinks a few days at a time? I guess it's possible you're only posting because you disagree with my analysis of legion's end-game. Either way, none of what you posted is helping at all.

I quit playing endgame because I just wanted to get off the hamster wheel. The carrot on the stick isn't for everyone. It's certainly not for me. But I don't fault the people who really enjoy it. I get that. I did it for years. But that's just a reason not to play end game. Why not just twink in a different bracket?

Why play free-to-play, specifically?

It being free doesn't really matter but I suppose an extra $15 for beer every month doesnt hurt.

Really, it's the restrictions that make it for me. In end game, everything is pretty straight forward. You can get anywhere and do anything pretty easily.

There is no clear path for a lot of what F2Ps can accomplish. It requires time, energy AND creativity. There's a set of rules we have to work within and occasionally work around. Take a 29, turn XP off and throw some enchants on BoA gear and you're ready to roll. Go get unique mounts and pets on your main, use them on your twink, etc. But getting that stuff on a 20? That takes work.

It is, for me, the last true feel of what twinking used to be. The creativity, the work arounds, the camaraderie of shared success and suffering through the grinds. Its a sub culture of a sub culture and I think that's pretty damned neat.

I'm way more proud of my characters and their stuff. I had to earn it. Often times, in way Blizzard never intended me to.

It also forces you to slow down and really appreciate the world Blizzard created. For all the faults of World of Warcraft, Azeroth is a pretty impressive display of world building. And on a 20, you cant just fly over and around it. You have to be in it. It's like the difference between riding a motorcycle through the backroads of America and driving a car down the highway.

I quit playing endgame because I just wanted to get off the hamster wheel. The carrot on the stick isn't for everyone. It's certainly not for me. But I don't fault the people who really enjoy it. I get that. I did it for years. But that's just a reason not to play end game. Why not just twink in a different bracket?

Why play free-to-play, specifically?

It being free doesn't really matter but I suppose an extra $15 for beer every month doesnt hurt.

Really, it's the restrictions that make it for me. In end game, everything is pretty straight forward. You can get anywhere and do anything pretty easily.

There is no clear path for a lot of what F2Ps can accomplish. It requires time, energy AND creativity. There's a set of rules we have to work within and occasionally work around. Take a 29, turn XP off and throw some enchants on BoA gear and you're ready to roll. Go get unique mounts and pets on your main, use them on your twink, etc. But getting that stuff on a 20? That takes work.

It is, for me, the last true feel of what twinking used to be. The creativity, the work arounds, the camaraderie of shared success and suffering through the grinds. Its a sub culture of a sub culture and I think that's pretty damned neat.

I'm way more proud of my characters and their stuff. I had to earn it. Often times, in way Blizzard never intended me to.

It also forces you to slow down and really appreciate the world Blizzard created. For all the faults of World of Warcraft, Azeroth is a pretty impressive display of world building. And on a 20, you cant just fly over and around it. You have to be in it. It's like the difference between riding a motorcycle through the backroads of America and driving a car down the highway.

Well said, I agree with the general sentiment of your post. There's a degree of freedom that you take for granted as a sub. As a F2P, you are confined to a set amount of content and restrictions, and you are able to fully discover and appreciate the content you have access to.

I honestly feel like the brought some good changes to garrsion-ish stuff with the class halls. I don't like that it's essentially mandatory but I personally enjoy it. I like world quests and seeing people about in the world. I like the hidden items like weapon skins and Kosumoth the Hungering. I really like the artifact quests and the class armor sets, feels nostalgic. I hate what they did with some of the lore and some of the artifact weapons. Doomhammer? Ashbringer? Come on... I do however love the holy paladin weapon. It's everything a paladin should be, you got your giant hammer and your book!

Currently, healers at 110 feel insanely weak worse than I ever experienced at 20. I hear it's supposed to be extremely bad until you unlock your honor talents, at least for holy paladins. Apparently you become a healing melee DPS god once you do.

PvP gear is a joke, getting an on use trinket that is clearly intended for PvP and still can't use it. Really seems like they dropped the ball on the PvP gear situation especially in regards to the PvP crates. Randomized gear stats as well as ilvl is really stupid.

I liked garrisons and the shipyard... okay, I'll see myself out :(

Actually, apart from listing reasons not to play endgame we can also list reasons to play F2P right now, here goes:

F2Ps play their own endgame
- Oldspike

We are so different than any other twink bracket that it can be hard to grasp by people used to p2p twinking and I think that's why most of the people here only care about PvP.

Right now we have a lot of content to play on starter Edition. From BGs to Arenas to Pandaria and Draenor, achievements, pets, mounts, toys, now appearances, it's a lot of things to collect and you have to get it all yourself. Doesnt matter if you do it with your 110, friends 110 or no one, your F2P has to be there. Get the reputation, the item or the achievement.

We have so many restrictions but yet we can get so much. In cata twinkinfo was full of threads like "how to get best bags" "how to get the most of starter Edition"

Now I think the general public has lost the explorer spirit and is just interested in what class in PvP is fotm, but I still believe.

F2P content is good but you have to open your eyes and find it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread