EU+US Realistic Artifact Levels and AP runs

docturphil

Grandfathered
So I'm doing some theory crafting here to figure out how much artifact power you can reasonably get within a certain period of time.

Assuming you get an average of 200 artifact power per Neth Lair run and you do 5 Neth Lair runs a day, you can get 1,000 artifact power in a day. That's 365,000 artifact power a year.

If my estimations are realistic that means:

~2 months - 66,470 artifact power - 18 artifact points spent

1 year - 365,000 artifact power - 24 artifact points spent

3 years - 1,095,000 artifact power - 28 artifact points spent

9 years - 3,285,000 artifact power - 32 artifact points spent

15 years - 5,475,000 artifact power - 34 artifact points spent

I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see many people get beyond 24 points if obtaining artifact power at 99 is never made easier. That's a lot of dedication just to get to that point, and who knows what Blizzard will do with artifact weapons in the next expansion. It's quite possible our artifact power will be made obsolete, Light forbid.

So, with all that in mind, we want to do everything we can to make our Neth runs as quick as possible. Neth runs are going to be super easy as a druid. You can stealth past all the trash. Rogues can obviously stealth past as well, but I'm uncertain they can solo bosses. Other classes will require other means to bypass trash.

Engineering is your best friend. You can get a Gnomish Cloaking Device (10 sec invis on a 1 hour CD) as well as an Invisibility Field belt attachment (15 sec invis on 10 min CD). Note that the invisibility field recipe can only be learned randomly when crafting any Cataclysm engineering recipe, such as electrified ether. It cannot be trained.

Note that all means of becoming invisible share a 10 minute cooldown. The only exceptions are mage invisibility and the Gnomish Cloaking Device. Those can be used independently of the 10 minute cooldown.

Non-engineers are limited to invisibility potions and other such potions which all have a 15-18 sec duration and 10 min CD. Invisibility potions and the Invisibility Field belt attachment share a cooldown. And of course there is the mage invisibility spell.

Those with access to both invisibility pots and nitro boosts should be able to get past even more trash when used in combination (requires confirmation). I believe nitro boosts will interrupt invisibility if they backfire though.
Using an invisibility potion activates the cooldown of any belt attachment and that cooldown becomes 10 minutes. Also, using any speed increasing ability or consumable will interrupt invisibility. This was at least the case when I tried to use divine steed after using an invisibility potion.

Unfortunately, the goblin glider cannot be used inside of PvE instances.

If you don't want to attempt to skip trash to save time, running Neth in groups is your best option. Otherwise you should only bother grouping with people who are capable of skipping trash as well so they won't slow you down.

So with all that in mind, you should be able to do a Neth run in 15 minutes or less (unconfirmed), which means you'll probably be spending 0.75-1.25 hours a day if you want to get 1,000 AP a day.

Anyways, like I said, a lot of this is theory at this point as I have literally only done one Neth run myself so far.

Does anyone else have any advice on obtaining AP at 99? Anything I missed that could help?

Last edited:
What about timewalking dungeons? They are a good source since one boss kill is guaranteed to give 55 AP.

So it would still take a long time between Neth/Timewalkings, so indeed everyone is probably going to stop at level 24 or so

What about timewalking dungeons? They are a good source since one boss kill is guaranteed to give 55 AP.

So it would still take a long time between Neth/Timewalkings, so indeed everyone is probably going to stop at level 24 or so

Certainly something to consider, but I believe Neth runs are the quickest way to reliably obtain AP. But I could be mistaken. I haven't fully tested either method myself yet.

During w/e TW Weekly Event you generally average 220 AP per run (4 Bosses at 55 AP each). These runs, if all 5 Players are TW Twinked, can be done in 6-10 minutes. Taking the longer end of the clear time and adding some minutes for que (if solo DPS) then it's reasonable to say TW can gain 880-1100 AP/hr during Peak times.

Keep in mind my TW Twink link above is pre-7.0 and thus out of date, however it's still fairly accurate. My 110 BM Hunter in full TW Twink gear can easily manage 15K ST on Bosses and upwards of 40K AOE. Compare that to the average Player (even in 880+ Mythic with Legendaries) doing 4-6K ST on Bosses and 7-11K AOE.

During w/e TW Weekly Event you generally average 220 AP per run (4 Bosses at 55 AP each). These runs, if all 5 Players are TW Twinked, can be done in 6-10 minutes. Taking the longer end of the clear time and adding some minutes for que (if solo DPS) then it's reasonable to say TW can gain 880-1100 AP/hr during Peak times.

Keep in mind my TW Twink link above is pre-7.0 and thus out of date, however it's still fairly accurate. My 110 BM Hunter in full TW Twink gear can easily manage 15K ST on Bosses and upwards of 40K AOE. Compare that to the average Player (even in 880+ Mythic with Legendaries) doing 4-6K ST on Bosses and 7-11K AOE.

Interesting. I don't really know much about timewalking as I've never done it. When and how often do timewalking events occur? Could you do them well as a 99 twink? I'm assuming the idea behind TW twinking gear is based on item scaling which occurs in timewalking dungeons?

TW is every 3-5 weeks and rotates between TBC > WotLK > Cata > MoP (soon). Yes it's based on scaling but it's not always as simple as that. 2 different pcs, both with 2 Sockets, both with what look like comparable stats may scale in TW differently enough that one is considerably superior to the other. Rule of thumb is this:

• Max Sockets (use +10/12 TBC or +10 Cata Gems or Eng Cogs).
  • Max Main Stat in every Socket and every Enchant.
  • Nothing WoD+ scales worth a shit with exception to the Artifact Weapon (for some Specs), the WoD Legendary Ring, a couple Trinkets from WoD and possibly the new Legion Legendaries (have yet to be able to test them).
  • Not all old Set Bonuses have been deactivated, it looks like all Dungeon Blues (TBC) are still active.
  • Fishbrul Food (101+) > WoD Food (91-100) > MoP Food.
  • MoP Flasks and Potions (War Potion possibly, have yet to test it).

TW is every 3-5 weeks and rotates between TBC > WotLK > Cata > MoP (soon). Yes it's based on scaling but it's not always as simple as that. 2 different pcs, both with 2 Sockets, both with what look like comparable stats may scale in TW differently enough that one is considerably superior to the other. Rule of thumb is this:

• Max Sockets (use +10/12 TBC or +10 Cata Gems or Eng Cogs).
  • Max Main Stat in every Socket and every Enchant.
  • Nothing WoD+ scales worth a shit with exception to the Artifact Weapon (for some Specs), the WoD Legendary Ring, a couple Trinkets from WoD and possibly the new Legion Legendaries (have yet to be able to test them).
  • Not all old Set Bonuses have been deactivated, it looks like all Dungeon Blues (TBC) are still active.
  • Fishbrul Food (101+) > WoD Food (91-100) > MoP Food.
  • MoP Flasks and Potions (War Potion possibly, have yet to test it).

OK, thanks for all the info.

But still it seems to be Neth farming is still going to be better or at least more reliable. Since you can only do timewalking every 3-5 weeks and you would need a group it doesn't seem as do-able. Plus it doesn't sound like it's much more efficient if it is more efficient at all.

I suppose some people might want to try timewalking though just to avoid burning out and the same damn thing over and over.

On the topic on TW twinking if you have http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=142173/ring-of-collapsing-futures the damage doesnt scale down inside the dungeons. I know it's not exactly on the topic but it's something very cool I found while doing TW on my 110 :)

Also Frost DK's are OP in Lair. Pulled 1million dps on a pull. Had several 1million crits
WoWScrnShot_120916_210731.jpg

What about Eye of Azshara? I still like it there.

Farming crabs for stormscales (gold). You will get some +75 / +100 AP items due to killing a lot of mobs. And there is a chance for a chest at the ships right were you farm anyways. Each run takes ~7mins.

if you dont mind losing a bit of stats for better mob scaling, mobs at level 98 have 2/3 the hp compared to at 99

Sooner or later Blizzard will make it easier to get AP, much easier.

At 110. I dont really understand why, but that's where they are completely focusing their catch-up mechanics. Next patch you can just buy artifact knowledge levels with resources up to level 15. Literally no inkling of ever benefitting anyone sub-110.

Literally no inkling of ever benefitting anyone sub-110.
Which is stupid IMHO. I can't see any reason why allowing 98+ to have the same access to AK as a 110 will in 7.1.5 and beyond. There are Players who will grind that AP out even without AK and even at 99 so there goes the argument that it gives them an unfair advantage. Blizz has a seriously amazing Scaling Tech implemented now but they're barely using it, such a waste.

Which is stupid IMHO. I can't see any reason why allowing 98+ to have the same access to AK as a 110 will in 7.1.5 and beyond. There are Players who will grind that AP out even without AK and even at 99 so there goes the argument that it gives them an unfair advantage. Blizz has a seriously amazing Scaling Tech implemented now but they're barely using it, such a waste.

From their perspective, giving AK to players below 110 would only encourage more overpowered twinks. If you allow 99s to have AK, they'll all be at 54 artifact points before you know it. At that point, twinking will become so overpowered that they would probably end up splitting the brackets into xp on and xp off brackets. I don't think anyone wants that.

It would probably be a blast for a little while though.

Users who are viewing this thread