Rate my Shammy

9/10, looks really good. You got hit capped and attained enough spell penetration, split the two shaman caster sets for extra resilience, and got the T6.5 legs. Talents and glyphs are all solid choices, though in higher level arenas I imagine you'll want to replace the glyph of healing stream totem, as all casters should have enough spell penetration at that level to invalidate your glyph.

My one nitpick is your choice to go with six stamina gems. I'm at a loss as to why -- it wasn't for a socket bonus, and even if it had been, I don't think it would have been worth it. Were you looking for some maximization of a stamina/resilience balance of which I'm not aware? I'd say choose resil over stam. That's the one thing that keeps your shaman from being 10/10 in my book, but that's a small detail -- your resto shaman looks top class to me.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention this -- seriously consider getting the Crystal Spire of Karabor for a weapon. The +200 healing may not seem like much, but when you consider the percentage boost that gives to your riptide direct heals and healing surges (and the extra spellpower you would need to get to achieve a similar result), the tradeoff for the minor stats loss on the weapon may intrigue you.

Last edited by a moderator:
thankyou for the reply the reason i stack stam as post 40% stamina is more beneficial for survival as it takes far more resilence to gain 1 % damage reduction, therefore a stamina gem gives more survivability that a resilience gem. as there is such thing as a resilience "cap"

Well some people do stop stacking resil @40% because as the op said the % resil u get from a gem, past 40% is extremely low

So?

After the so-called soft cap (around 32%) DR on resilience kicks in. This does however not lead to a DR in EH gained (as posted in the links I provided). The more EH you have, the longer you can survive and currently, the best way to do this is by getting more resilience. (Note: this might not always hold true for tanking classes.)

Going off the information provided here: Stamina Vs Resilience - With Graphs! - Forums - World of Warcraft , I made the calculations for resto druids at 70 myself. I applied the formula to values ranging from 800 to 1500 stamina and 0 to 1000 resilience. In each cell a negative value got returned meaning that a resi gem provided a greater boost to EH than a sta gem in the situation occuring in said cell (e.g. when you have 1200 sta and 500 resi).

So unless my source information is off or I made a mistake in excel, resi > sta for resto (druids mainly but highly likely also shamans). Would be cool if other people tried this, so I know whether I made a mistake or not or whether my reasoning is off.

For the interested, the data looked something like this (sorry big picture):

iwEC9.jpg

Metamorfos is spot on, even though the concept is confusing. I almost wrote an article about this back when I was a blogger.

While it looks like resilience has diminished returns, it actually doesn't -- it just looks that way because resilience rating has diminished returns. Going from 43% resil to 44% resil is a bigger jump than going from 42% resil to 43% resil. So, blizzard compensated by making resilience rating give you progressively less resilience. But that does not give you progressively less damage reduction from resilience. The articles Metamorfos linked explain why the math works out that way.

Therefore, even though it looks like you're getting less and less damage reduction as you stack more resilience, you're actually still getting more.

Here's another way to think about it. If one player has 20% resilience and another player has 40% resilience, it's easy to think that the second player has twice as much effective health as the first player. But in reality, the player with 20% resilience gets 25% more effective health, and the player with 40% resilience gets 67% more effective health! The massive scaling of damage reduction outdoes the diminishing returns of resilience rating.

Pretty wild, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread