EU+US Rares dropping unscaled loot 10-29

dANNN

dANNN
I have seen no other posts in this section of the forum discussing rares and their respective loot tables. The aim of this post is to provide others with information if they are interested in testing the rares themselves. My motivation for doing this is to find an alternative to SFK chest runs.

Today Alori and I tested rares in several different zones to see if we could find which rares (if any) were not dropping scaled loot. Crucially we also wanted to test whether the level of the character looting affected the ilevel of the drop. You may ask "why bother?" Well if a mob is dropping unscaled 19 loot it potentially could drop bis items scaled to level 19, rather than 13/16. We are but 2 individuals with a handful of kills so further testing is required.

We found out that a toon can only loot a mob in a zone up to 10 levels above its level. For example a level 1 can loot mobs in Silverpine (10+ zone) but not in Hillsbrad (15+).

Below is a list of our initial findings:-

1. There are currently 2 rares in Southern Barrens dropping unscaled loot for level 19 characters.
  2. There are currently 2 rares in Stonetalon Mountains dropping unscaled loot for level 10-19 characters.
  3. There is 1 rare in Silverpine dropping unscaled loot for level 1 characters (a level 19 character received loot scaled to 16).
Pictures of each drop is detailed below:

Silverpine Rare (level 1 looting): Effritus
unknown.png

NOT UNSCALED Silverpine Rare (level 19 looting): Effritus
unknown.png

Southern Barrens Rare (level 19 looting): Hagg Taurenbane
unknown.png
unknown.png

HORDE ONLY Southern Barrens Rare (level 19 looting): Captain Gerogg Hammertoe
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Stonetalon Mountains Rare (level 10 looting): Brother Ravenoak
unknown.png

Stonetalon Mountains Rare (level 19 looting): Brother Ravenoak
unknown.png

Stonetalon Mountains Rare (level 10 looting): Sister Riven
unknown.png

Stonetalon Mountains Rare (level 19 looting): Sister Riven
unknown.png

SUPER USEFUL BONUS FIND: Mulgore Rare (level 70 looting): The Rake
unknown.png

Please share your findings here!

Yup, there are a bunch of rares around that drop unscaled loot. They work for every bracket. Hillsbrad is especially good for them.

I've been slowly putting some info together on a guide, but not super motivated to get it done right now. Just popped the ones I've checked so far into a google sheet here. (Fair warning, it has zero formatting whatsover). The numbers are mostly just noted from the first run through, I've tested a lot of them more than what's shown.

They always drop the same type of loot (scaled or unscaled), so you can fly around checking them out on a high level to test them out too.
[doublepost=1544562188,1544562100][/doublepost]

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that before. I did notice that all the ones that dropped unscaled loot were added in 1.11, but not every rare that was added in 1.11 dropped unscaled loot.

Yup, there are a bunch of rares around that drop unscaled loot. They work for every bracket. Hillsbrad is especially good for them.

I've been slowly putting some info together on a guide, but not super motivated to get it done right now. Just popped the ones I've checked so far into a google sheet here. (Fair warning, it has zero formatting whatsover). The numbers are mostly just noted from the first run through, I've tested a lot of them more than what's shown.

They always drop the same type of loot (scaled or unscaled), so you can fly around checking them out on a high level to test them out too.
[doublepost=1544562188,1544562100][/doublepost]

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that before. I did notice that all the ones that dropped unscaled loot were added in 1.11, but not every rare that was added in 1.11 dropped unscaled loot.

This is immense - was hoping for this sort of info! Thanks

True, I had hoped that non-rare mobs could be made to drop unscaled greens if you were too low of a level for their loot to scale for you, but it doesn't seem to be possible :(

That google doc that Swoops posted is a gold mine though, can confirm Jimmy the Bleeder drops unscaled loot for both my level 5 and 19 characters
unknown.png

unknown.png

The real question is, can any of these magically unscaling rares drop a Mystic's Wrap or a Mystic's Sphere :D

True, I had hoped that non-rare mobs could be made to drop unscaled greens if you were too low of a level for their loot to scale for you, but it doesn't seem to be possible :(

That google doc that Swoops posted is a gold mine though, can confirm Jimmy the Bleeder drops unscaled loot for both my level 5 and 19 characters
unknown.png

unknown.png

The real question is, can any of these magically unscaling rares drop a Mystic's Wrap or a Mystic's Sphere :D
Mystic Wrap only drops in Kalimdor, https://www.wowhead.com/npc=10639/rorgish-jowl and www.wowhead.com/npc=3943/ruuzel are the only rares I see that have it on the loot table.

The patch they were added is definitely unreliable, but you can kinda use wowhead to get a rough idea of mobs that drop unscaled loot.

Items on the loot table from outside the mob's original level range are a decent hint that it'll drop unscaled greens. It's not 100% accurate overall, but seems to work for rares at least.

Compare Gravis Slipknot (unscaled) to Carcinak (scaled). Gravis has a bunch of level 55-60 items on his loot table, because if you kill him on a high level you'll get an unscaled item from that level range. Carcinak only has the greens from it's original level range, because it always drops a scaled version of those.

It seeeeeeems like these two types of loot tables are mob-specific, and it's just way easier to see the results on rares that always drop a green. Unscaled loot tables are pretty rare though. There's a mob in ZF for example that makes trash farms good for 39/49 greens, finding something like that but lower level in kalimdor might be the key for mystic's gear.

I really wonder whether all this new unscaled greens are really uncaled in that they are not going to be effected by future stat squishes in same way as scaled items would. Time would tell i guess.

View attachment 9573
Bit of a spanner-in-the-works for your research @Swoops but I looted this from Geopriest Gukk'rok on a level 70.

That's perfect actually! It's the same item that dropped unscaled off Effritus for you guys, and @Bung looted unscaled in SFK a few times. Seems like a decent bet that Bandit cloak is bugged to not scale.

Users who are viewing this thread