EU+US Question about DPS

What is the best way to sim DPS to find your best secondary balance?

• Take a raid approach: Just look at perfect rotations, over infinite time, find the best build.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Short 2-3 min fights and average. Fights in BGs are quick, bursty. Will impact chant damage.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Vers making my hit do 10 more damage is nothing. You need crits to force trinkets and change games.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Hashbrowns

Legend
Guys, I need your help on this one. I've always done very PvE oriented sims to find BiS. I think this works to a certain point but sometimes it feels like you need a crit to turn a fight. Getting that cast a bit faster is great but when your talking about 1/10ths of a second I think I'd rather take a better chance at a crit. At what point to your throw away the sims and go with your gut? I want to stick to the math but sometimes it feels like you need that push from a big hit. Can PvE type sims help you with PvP? Thoughts?

just go with w/e if it doesnt work then change ez pz

That's pretty subject to interpretation/good/bad fights that might skew actual BiS.
u only have two options vers haste vers crit both are fine for most classes so who gives a shit

I'm a fan of crit and the huge hits, just when someone thanks its safe, wham, the mac truck. A few pieces i want to fine tune, but other than that I'm happy with my stats.
This honestly is what I think matters. Which goes against any calculations I've done in the past that say haste is BiS (for mage). But there isn't much replacement for forcing a trinket. Getting a spell there 0.2 seconds faster isn't going to do that.

It's super situational imo, and depends a lot on what spec/role you're playing. Crit definitely has a lot more value than it's sustained/pve-type damage contribution. We can't really push our secondaries all that far anymore (rip gift enchants), getting a decent balance will usually be the best option. They probably won't ever really go above 50% primary stat value anyways.

Trend toward haste>vers for spread dot/sustained damage (prob even pug feral now that haste affects bleeds), some mix of haste/vers for heals, heavier vers for survivability, and more toward crit if your spec relies on landing kills with burst.

It depends, and really doesn't matter enough to gear in a way that you find less fun. You can 100% go for personal preference on secondaries and be close enough to optimal.

For every big crit that changes an outcome there’s 1000 non crits that don’t and those 1000 times the rng fails vers could have been there and it never fails

That’s the basic premise that underlines the verse>crit argument

Crit is the shitty dad that misses most birthdays but occasionally shows up and you cherish those memories Vers is the consistent mother, always there but you take for granted

I prefer to go with averages. See what gives u the greatest average dps over a long fight. I usually do a wing of the Stockades or rip into the Love Fool for a decent amount of time.
This averages out the crit / haste differences. During the long dps runs, you will also see the highs and lows. For instance when I was testing Fury, it averages around 170 I think, but every so often it would creep up over 200 when all procs / enrage etc aligned.
Not sure u can get the same feel over short burst fights.

I prefer to go with averages. See what gives u the greatest average dps over a long fight. I usually do a wing of the Stockades or rip into the Love Fool for a decent amount of time.
This averages out the crit / haste differences. During the long dps runs, you will also see the highs and lows. For instance when I was testing Fury, it averages around 170 I think, but every so often it would creep up over 200 when all procs / enrage etc aligned.
Not sure u can get the same feel over short burst fights.

Wouldn’t haste be dramatically more powerful in pve , especially with dungeon mobs now being considerably less squishy, I’m not sure you can compare pve test numbers/data to pvp and treat them as equally comparable

Users who are viewing this thread