PvP Power gems: NERFED

Sadeian

Grandfathered
UPDATE: PvP stats (Power and Resilience) have been nerfed into irrelevance. Back to main stat, boys.

So I came across a thread on the 100s section about PvP Power, it mentioned that this stat is working and decided to run some tests.

This is very limited as I wanted to report my findings so you can help me test it if you want (also I have limited amounts of gold at the moment).

Apparently PvP Power gems are BiS. Yes, they are better than your main stat, allow me to illustrate.
(Remember, test has been limited by budget and gem availability)

The method
This was done on my 60 mage, Arcane spec, I specced out of Incanter's Flow to avoid random Spellpower surges so I can have an stable power. I casted Arcane Barrage (This has a constant damage with every cast) inside a duel (against a non-twink lv60 paladin) with two very slightly different gear setups.
The difference was exactly two gems, the first setup had 2 +5 Critical +5 Intellect gems and the second setup had 2 +4 Pvp Power gems (do remember that the highest these gems go is +6 Pvp power, but they were not available)

The results of this limited test are as follows:
On the first setup each barrage hit for 177
On the second setup each barrage hit for 182

That is a 2.85% (give or take) increase over the previous BiS gems, this number is bound to get higher with a gear full of them. Case in point, my tests on my fully geared lv85 mage brought the figure to a 25% increased damage. (Check the note)

Do take in consideration that with +6 Pvp Power gems this number will be higher, which means that Pvp Power gems are now BiS, at least according to this very limited test.

NOTE: You can get the game to show you the actual increase by pasting this on a macro:
Code:
/run print("Damage:", GetPvpPowerDamage(), "Healing:", GetPvpPowerHealing())
Two +4 Pvp Power gems is 2.13% It is a bit lower than the 2.85% I calculated.

Further testing tomorrow with a full set of gems.

EDIT: Credit for code goes to @Swoops

Last edited:
Anyone know the resilience macro?
From the other thread by Simple " "/run print(GetCombatRatingBonus(16))" "

Has anyone tested to see if PvP Resilience works?

Full 15 gems:
FO60o4h.png

Strength went from 424->329

So at 329 when choosing what to gem... Full strength is 28.9% higher Strength vs. Full PVP power is 24% greater damage.

There is probably a good cutover somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
If PvP resilience is working, and your stacking it, be sure to get Prismatic Elixir for +76 PvP Resilience.

I'm not sure what this scales to for 60's http://www.wowhead.com/item=77140/stormy-deepholm-iolite but it's +7 for my higher level twinks. It's also easy to buy (1 mark of honor). Oh ilvl 104, guess you guys can't use?

Full 15 gems:
FO60o4h.png

So at 329 when choosing what to gem... Full strength is 28.9% higher Strength vs. Full PVP power is 24% greater damage.

Maybe but remember strength increases damage differently for each ability depending on it's formula. pvp power is a flat amount irregardless of the abilities formula. Also some damage isn't affected by main stat (hunter's pets for example, only mastery would normally boost their dmg). Main stat does not increase the damage of enchant procs like mark of the satyr, ellie force, weapon procs, trinket procs, grenades / bombs etc.

I'm not sure what this scales to for 60's http://www.wowhead.com/item=77140/stormy-deepholm-iolite but it's +7 for my higher level twinks. It's also easy to buy (1 mark of honor). Oh ilvl 104, guess you guys can't use?

Maybe but remember strength increases damage differently for each ability depending on it's formula. pvp power is a flat amount irregardless of the abilities formula. Also some damage isn't affected by main stat (hunter's pets for example, only mastery would normally boost their dmg). Main stat does not increase the damage of enchant procs like mark of the satyr, ellie force, weapon procs, trinket procs, grenades / bombs etc.

yeah accounting for procs and buffs it is probably straight up better to gem pvp power than strength. Not certain for Int/Agi classes that can still get 5/5 gems

Wish pvp power gave my disc dmg instead of just healing..
[doublepost=1532586104,1532578630][/doublepost]
yeah accounting for procs and buffs it is probably straight up better to gem pvp power than strength. Not certain for Int/Agi classes that can still get 5/5 gems
Lemme know what you find out, if pure pvp power is better than just gemming strength <3

Wish pvp power gave my disc dmg instead of just healing..

I think that has just answered a question ! I was going to test Full PvP power gems on my disc, but in my case it wouldn't be too beneficial, I like to play it aggressively doing less damage would probably equate to less healing from Attonement.

Definitely going to experiment with a PvP Power Shadow Priest build, just need to get a couple more socketed pieces for an off set. Gems aren't an issue, I have a JC with the recipes :)

Btw don't forget the PvP Power cloak enchant and the +12PvP ( iirc ) Power ring from the AV gear vendor.

Full 15 gems:
FO60o4h.png

update to this is that in battlegrounds scaled to 69 it only gives:

upload_2018-7-26_10-39-18.png

Still very good, an average of 1.42% damage increase per 6 pvp power (per gem)

Don Rodrigo's band will be a BiS ring i think, since giving 12 pvp power that is another 2.84% damage. (I am flying fast and loose with this no testing for DR, i think it will be minimal at these levels). If you want to use naglering then i would argue Gnomer ring with 28 vers is better for the other slot since you are trading 8 crit for 1.4% reduced damage.

The Cape enchant gives 11 PVP power at 60, which is another ~2.6% damage, also best enchant for the slot for pure damage

I have been testing PvP power on my 89 rogue, their is a significant difference after switching from a full agility BiS pve build to PvP gear with +7 PvP power gems.
Here are some stats: Full agility PvE build BiS 684 agi = 247 weap dmg ( MoP stat stick rings and neck as they sim highest)
33.15% dmg increase from the PvP power build, 207 weap dmg (207 x .3315 = 68.62)
(207+68.62= 275.62 weap dmg)
Feel free to take a look at my build would appreciate any input, cheers !

Armory links: 89 Rogue - https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/malganis/Peekaboos
79 Lock - https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/tichondrius/Zestysauce

I can confirm resillence works very well in 70 80 and 85 gear. Especially if your in the PvP set socketed in resillence

Full 15 gems:
FO60o4h.png

The breakpoint at which PvP power overtakes primary stats is 393 AP/SP at level 59, presumably it's somewhere close to that for 60 as well.

Arcane mage tests with full Pvp Power gems, ring and enchant. The results were consistent across several settings against the same player.

At one point I wondered if losing so much int from gems and enchant, that is 78 less Intelligence, might not be a really good idea considering that would mean I would also benefit less from Arcane Intellect buff. However, this was not a valid concern as switching to full Pvp Power resulted in damage increase.

Full gear with +5 Intelligence +5 Critical gems
Code:
-Without Arcane Intellect = 522 Intelligence
Arcane Barrage(no charges)

Arcane Blast (4 charges)

Arcane Missile (Damage per missile)
233 (244 during Clearcasting)

-Buffed with Arcane Intellect = 575 Intelligence

Arcane Blast (4 charges)

255 (266 during Clearcasting)

Full gear with +6 Pvp Power gems (24.87% pvp damage)
Code:
-Without Arcane Intellect = 444 Intelligence

Arcane Blast (4 charges)

250 (263 during Clearcasting)

-Buffed with Arcane Intellect = 488 Intelligence

Arcane Blast (4 charges)

273 (286 during Clearcasting)

As you can see the damage with full Pvp Power is greater than the full Intelligence gear. However, it is necessary to consider that to achieve this I had to give up around 6.5% increased Critical provided by the +5/+5 gems. This could be seen as reasonable because you are increasing your damage by almost 10%, but I know some folks (like me) sometimes prefer sudden burst provided by criticals.

Last edited:
Thank you for your testing and posting it here and thanks for the update!!

Yay now I can stop grinding rep to make the +6 pvp gems.

Users who are viewing this thread