Protection Paladin Weapon and Shield

Discussion in '20s (Shadowlands)' started by Donovan, May 1, 2021 at 8:47 PM.

Share This Page

1. Donovan

Donovan Veteran

Hey guys, I'm debating whether the 33 ilvl artifact is better than https://www.wowhead.com/item=27901/blackout-truncheon?bonus=6710 + a shield with a socket slot?

I'm playing a protection paladin, stacking Talasite gems. Wondering which weapon combination is better in the long run (winning duels, tanking as much as possible in battlegrounds, being as useful as possible in PvP in general). I would definitely gain a lot of HP from the extra gems, but is it worth it, considering the loss of other stats + damage?

Also, I am F2P and I only have 2 relic quests left to get the epic proc. So it might be between 32 ilvl artifact and https://www.wowhead.com/item=27901/blackout-truncheon?bonus=6710 + a socketed shield.

Last edited: May 1, 2021 at 8:59 PM
  2. CigNus

CigNus Member

So what I would do, Compare the stats of the shield + trunch (with your gems of choice probably talasite) thats an additional 18 stam.
    I have no idea how much stam you get from the artifact one but if its less stam, I think your option is pretty clear.

Plus you get a nifty haste proc, if you're into that sort of thing :p

3. OP
    Donovan

Donovan Veteran

That's kind of the issue I'm facing. The mace has that haste proc instead of regular stats (stam+str+crit+haste and so on), hence I've no idea how to properly compare them.

I'm hoping to find someone that has tested both and has good reasoning for one over the other, if that makes sense.

Stat-wise, the artifact doesn't have anything special about it, str/stam + crit/mastery on both main hand and the shield. It's only the item level that puts it above other weapon and shield combinations, but the mace is different.

4. CigNus

CigNus Member

I mean, all other stats besides main (str/stam) get pretty nerfed in bgs si the crit/haste from the arti are probably negligible vs the stam that you're going to get

5. OP
    Donovan

Donovan Veteran

Exactly what I was thinking. But looking at armory links, I only found one or two paladins rolling this combo instead of artifact. I expected it to be way more common, especially on vets, since they can buy socketed shields with versatility.

6. CigNus

CigNus Member

even with vet accounts, boe's usually aren't cheap
    also, a quick check tells me there aren't any shields on my server lol

7. OP
    Donovan

Donovan Veteran

Probably because there's this thing https://www.wowhead.com/item=158713/disc-of-indomitable-will?bonus=6516

I already got it banked with a socket slot. It's super easy to farm. Haste and mastery doesn't beat versatility, but I guess it's not worth the time and effort unless you're going for a 'perfect' twink/shield.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hashbrowns

Hashbrowns Coordinator Arena Ladder Coordinator

9. OP
    Donovan

Donovan Veteran

One of the first items I got on the character. I think it's essential for PvP, especially when the goal is to make people target you.

The weapon and shield thing just keeps me wondering.

10. Hashbrowns

The prot pallys that have given me trouble are ones with rebuke and silencing avenger shield, it's a pain in the ass lol

Normally I'd say wep damage is king but idk. The haste proc is nice to reduce your cooldowns too. I think haste is still pretty important for tanks, after vers. As far as shield for shield, I think the talasite outweighs the ilvl 34 extra armor. Armor is pretty cut down when you scale to 29.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 1, 2021 at 9:41 PM, Original Post Date: May 1, 2021 at 9:39 PM ---
    There's a shield off a rare outside AD that can proc socket, which might have vers... don't remember. It's a one shot chance, like bramble.

11. OP
    Donovan

Donovan Veteran

Thank you for your detailed response. You're thinking of https://www.wowhead.com/item=160978/golden-tomb-defender?bonus=6691, I'm definitely giving that shield a shot.

So from your experience, survivability + haste and gems outweigh the extra damage and stats from 33ilvl artifact?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hashbrowns

I haven't pvped with a tank in forever. I think get both and test. Those sockets def make it a strong contender. I think any extra mitigation will be pretty mute. More stamina vs wep damage, compare your crusader strikes to see if it's worth it, you might not loose much.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 1, 2021 at 9:55 PM, Original Post Date: May 1, 2021 at 9:47 PM ---
    Another random thought, I'd probably run Minor Speed over Earthen Vitality to boots. The stat ones don't stack with ghost wolf (and I'm guessing Divine Stead as well). I'd take a faster gap closer over 3 stamina. You can pick that up elsewhere.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 1, 2021 at 9:58 PM ---
    Sorry another random thought lol you can get ilvl 25 shield from BfA greens that will have vers and socket. Need to farm on a level 23.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lateraldrop

Lateraldrop Veteran

I have an ilvl 40 artifact for my prot spec, and the diff in armor between it and a 25 blue is 3.4% The block value (how much reduction your block gives) is about 10%. The block value is more impactful than the armor value by a bit, and I would not run the gems over my artifact, but my artifact is a 40 and not a 33. I suspect that the gems definitely could be worth it and I would not worry at all about the haste proc vs static secondary, You will use haste proc just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. glancealot

glancealot Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. toskosa

toskosa Member

I am pretty sure weapon damage also buffs your self healing but it might not be a big loss considering crusader is such a large buff anyway.

16. Lateraldrop

Lateraldrop Veteran

Do you even play prot pala?

17. glancealot

glancealot Member

18. Nechiforus

Nechiforus Member

You cannot get those heirlooms anymore since Legion was launched.

19. Goesid

Goesid Twink Info Legend Fancy Pants

since warlords of draenor was launched*

20. Nechiforus

Nechiforus Member

Your're right, completely forgot about WOD, I guess my brain tries to put aside that disaster

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    • Funny Funny x 1