Prot warrior PVE

Knuckles

Grandfathered
What is worth more to reduce damage? Dodge/parry or vers?
I will also have a strength set for pvp/Dps but just trying to make a strong tank so our raids don’t need that many healers so we can bring in more dps... or maybe strength adds enough armorbut I haven’t tested anything

Last edited:
The best way to gear is without a doubt to enchant stamina on every slot you can, and then gem 5crit_6sta in every slot for both Prot specs. If you end up with too much max health (something you'll only know with experience) you can instead gem 5crit_4vers in some slots to get some extra mitigation.

For max damage you can gem 5str_4crit

Last edited:
So what about gear? Should I be worried about dodge gear or just go for max Stam? @Fx
And why crit? Can’t you get stam/str or stam/vers?

Last edited:
Because crit= dodge
Crit is actually Parry for the two Prot specs.

Ahhh okay so dodge gear is worth it?
Yes. I explained the gearing path pretty clearly in my original response I feel.

I guess you want to know what items you should use. I don't really look into tank spec items too much. Wait for @Shinela to respond for that one.

would this stat priority be better?

Attachments

• 547AEBB7-45FD-43E0-B0B7-25BDF5B9391E.png
    547AEBB7-45FD-43E0-B0B7-25BDF5B9391E.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 205
@Blackberryy well reading the whole page it makes sense bc you get a lot more shield blocks and ignore pain
[doublepost=1551213794,1551213689][/doublepost]This

Attachments

• 6A35F3D4-93E6-4A9F-9809-B126B85CBD86.png
    6A35F3D4-93E6-4A9F-9809-B126B85CBD86.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Well I makes sense to have haste to have uptime on shield block and also riposte makes it where we have pretty good parry so I’m thinking haste/crit or vers/haste gems would be best and I can get haste trinket with truncheon and have enough haste for the uptime and then stack vers crit... this reply was a bit random but I’ll be doing the testing soon
@Fx @Blackberryy

There are no good haste gems and you wouldn't want them even if they did exist.

Just because the explanation for why some stats are good at max level makes sense doesn't mean it's the same for lvl70. You asked how to gear. I've given you the info, with further explanation, and you seem unconvinced because some guy who does not play lvl70 wrote a guide for lvl120 saying haste is good -at lvl120-

Again, you can't directly compare things like that. Fights work differently at max level. Gearing works differently at max level. Some stats can't be actively geared towards at max level, which means they are not taken into consideration for stat priorities. Health at max level is a static thing that only changes when your ilevel goes up, and so it's not a consideration for them to ''gear more stamina''.

You cannot compare max level with any twink bracket.

Last edited:
@Knuckles the amount of haste you need to stack to have an appreciable difference for both prot specs is something like 30% unbuffed, before talents.

in legion vers gear was viable because the scaling on vers rating to % was really good, and the scaling on parry and dodge rating to % was really really bad. currently, its goin to take alot of actual infield testing from tnks like shinela and a handful of others to determine whats the best.

is it VIABLE to stack avoidance gear? yes. optimal? im not sure. i think there may be a point where you want some offense.

also, i will say: all of your general haste needs are covered by the thundering skyflare and dragonspine trophy. until shinela or fx provides a very good reason why dst+ sonic booster isnt bis for (all ) tank specs (possibly excluding guardian), im going to continue saying it is.

also# 2 you as a prot warrior will be wanting the hand of the deceiver until the next patch.

edit: as for gems, vers scaling isnt great anymore, it would be better to go with 6 stam over 4 vers.

I’m running every raid and some dungeons to get every pieces of gear for 2set.. I can test everything like I feel like truncheon will be good for duels since I have quite a bit of survivablity

I’m running every raid and some dungeons to get every pieces of gear for 2set.. I can test everything like I feel like truncheon will be good for duels since I have quite a bit of survivablity
Well that’s good and all, but 2 of the most notable simcraft and theorycraft 70s are feeding you the knowledge you are searching for. Just keep that in mind

Well that’s good and all, but 2 of the most notable simcraft and theorycraft 70s are feeding you the knowledge you are searching for. Just keep that in mind
I’ll probably take their advice on gemming and enchanting but I just wanna try haste proc stacking and stuff but I’ll have a full set of just stat gear

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves :p

We are focusing on PvE here, let's keep that in mind.
Haste is strong at endgame exactly for the reasons it explains. However you're missing a few fundamentals.
Haste works for 70 too, but not optimal at all.

Your haste gain will allow you to focus much more on a solid rotation. You're a little bit more reliable (Not overly notable however) at the cost of mostly damage done, and dealing with quick enemies.
Focusing haste sacrifices you in a lot of other stats. See, haste would be good if item level was still a big factor, talking the legion levels. Right now, your damage intake is too high, and haste despite giving a solid base, sacrifices too much of your other defensives. With a higher item level, haste was good because you had a very solid basis to begin with already. Now, you don't. Blocking and absorbing is MUCH less important than completely avoiding a hit. In endgame, haste is good because a hit != 33% of your HP. Now however, it very well could. It's better to completely avoid that hit every so often, than to reduce it but take all of them.

Additionally, haste increases your rage gained. This is a big factor in endgame, but for us 70s it's not. You have so much rage already in raids because every hit you take is so big. This will basically give you enough rage that Haste will not make a visible difference.

See the point I'm trying to make is, haste is a good stat, if you've a good base to work with.

This is why endgame priorities tell nothing about our bracket at all. Our base is different. Our talents and abilities are too. And azerite traits are a deal that make differences all the same.

But to make it easy, let's compared!

Haste vs Crit
- Both increase damage, one gives parry other gives flat% reduction. Go for crit (parry).

Haste vs Vers
- Both increase damage, both give flat% reduction. Vers wins because it increases your absorption more than you can cast ignore pain more from haste.

Haste vs Str
- I guess this is equal. The damage reduction Strength gives in more armour, the damage increased by it and the infinitesimally small amount of absorption strength adds to ignore pain is about equal to how haste would affect damage done and reduced by cooldowns.

Just to chime in with the endgame guides such as icyviens etc:

Feral Legion had versatility as the number one stat but when you looked closer this was based entirely on a level 90 and 100 talents, LI was also not highly regarded but was in fact the highest damage percentage for level 70 PVE

TLDR don’t even use it as a starting point, completely irrelevant for us.

The entire idea of a static "stat priority" that you can just blindly follow is so cancerous. And it gets enforced by places like icy veins. It's one of the big reasons so many people are clueless about character building.

Users who are viewing this thread