US Principles of War scaling not working properly

Scrullies

Grandfathered
I have a 99 lock ilvl 755. The template for 99 is 550 ilvl, as far as I know. At .1 percent per avg item lvl, I should be at 20 percent buff in BG's, but it says I'm at 16%. Same issue on other 99 twinks I have as well. Anyone having similar problems or know what's going on?

The level 99 heirloom is 600 so I would assume the bar is somewhere around there. That seems to be how it's calculated in the lower brackets as well.

I believe that's why the scaling is so high for 99s, it's going off of WoD era ilevel instead of the next expansion's ilevel like it does for 59, 69, etc.

The level 99 heirloom is 600 so I would assume the bar is somewhere around there. That seems to be how it's calculated in the lower brackets as well.

I believe that's why the scaling is so high for 99s, it's going off of WoD era ilevel instead of the next expansion's ilevel like it does for 59, 69, etc.

That would make sense for the 99. 755 ilvl, 600 base giving 15.5 percent rounds up to 16 percent. But I have a 89 druid at 671 ilvl, the BOA's are 443 that should put me at 23% in BG's but it's sitting at 16% as well.

My 79 twink has 18% in cata gear. I never play him since that bracket is complete garbage.

To new guys (not OP) interested in 99 twinking but are daunted by the challenge of getting BIS, don't fret. Once you hit 730ilvl with level 13 artifact, YOU ARE GOOD. This means standard legion questing gear. I know of 730 twinks that can put 760 twinks in a freckin meat shredder, and its a fairly common occurrence. You will see little to no noticeable change in instanced pvp. In wpvp duels, its a different story, but duels are butchered this expansion and are complete BS.

Last edited:
It's because some of the gear is cloth in your 89. If I had to take a guess.

As for your 99 twink - that bonus is normal for people with similar ilvl. You're not at a disadvantage there.

Just ask the general forums for the exact math.

It's because some of the gear is cloth. If I had to take a guess.

When I switch to all leather, it still caps it at 16% even though I'm over that ilvl. I put in a ticket about it, no help. Was just seeing if anyone else was experiencing something similar. Hard to get concrete numbers on this kind of stuff nowadays

Think of it this way.

My 79 twink has 18%. That's because his ilvl is around 308 when the base ilvl is around 180ish. 308 is around 40% more stats.

At 671 compared to a 443 base ilvl, its still proportionally less compared to my 79 twink. 671 is around 34% more stats.

At 730 compared to 550 base ilvl, it is 25% more stats.

I did some quick math, since I got nothing better to do:

Cross product of

[[34 percent more stats (from ur 89)] / [16 percent principles of war]] = [[40 percent more stats (from my 79)]/[x]]

x = 18%, so that means the proportion is right.

Double checking...

[[34 percent more stats (from ur 89)] / [16 percent principles of war]] = [[25 percent more stats (from my 99)]/[x]]

x = 12.5ish%, which is around the same my 99 gets, so the proportion holds.

730 to 755 is such a minuscule percentage proportionally speaking. if you work the decimals enough it should be around 15%ish

tldr: it has less to do with the straight up ilvl difference and more to do with how they are in proportion to the BASE ilvl in a certain bracket.

generally speaking (not to op):

artifact level is far more important than ilvl. While principles of war will boost you at most 2-3%, there are artifact talents that boost your abilities by percentages far far higher. However, even with extreme grinding, those couple of artifact points won't make or break you.

Once you reach 730ilvl/13 artifact level, you have to worry about one thing: skill in pvp.

Now why does equpiip
generally speaking (not to op):

artifact level is far more important than ilvl. While principles of war will boost you at most 2-3%, there are artifact talents that boost your abilities by percentages far far higher. However, even with extreme grinding, those couple of artifact points won't make or break you.

Once you reach 730ilvl/13 artifact level, you have to worry about one thing: skill in pvp.

Idk, if i equip a wand and off hand on my 99 lock, I go to 20%, it drops my hp a bit (at 16 artifact) but my mastery goes up to 50% bc of the boost. I've been doing far much more dmg with a green wand than lvl 16 artifact wep with two epic relics

wow destro must be worse than I thought if that's the case.

you lose the ability to use your artifact traits if you don't have it equipped.

wow destro must be worse than I thought if that's the case.

you lose the ability to use your artifact traits if you don't have it equipped.

This only applies to the 3 wand classes (mage, lock, priest) - and you can try it with any spec, the boost from the wand in any lock spec outruns the artifact wep bc of the stat boost
I watched your demo video, try a wand and off hand, pref the 705 from inscription. Your stats are boosted enough to far outweigh the artifact traits and hp boost

6% to all stats, which is only with a green wand. I have a 89 mage and it is getting almost 10% boost to all stats with a blue wand
I think with the epic inscription wand you can boost it quite significantly

Users who are viewing this thread