Please help me with planning my char

Crystalpall

the F2P PvEr
Hello!

I would like to preface the thread with I've never played Vanilla, ever. Closest to it I played on a TBC private server as a kid.

I want to make a self-sufficient Human Paladin. I would call it Ironman, but due to Ironman Challenge being something different than what I want, I'll stick to calling it self sufficient.

Basically, no party, doing all quests solo, no trading, no auction house, eventually a me-only guild to get bigger bank space.

Now, I have some questions I hope you Vanilla veterans could help me with:

1. What items do I want from Professions? I assume I will cycle through all of them once or twice, I for sure need to make myself best bags from tailoring, but are there any enchants/upgrades/gear that I should get before settling down with alchemy or engi? You'd be a real hero if you could link me some of the items I need to get.

2. What professions do you advise for leveling? I know engi would speed up leveling significantly, but I lean on picking up mining and skinning. I need a lot of ore if there are any upgrades for me in Blacksmithing, and because I can't track ores and herbs together I think skinning would be good, to knock out Leatherworking out of the way asap after 60. Does Skinning->LW even have anything useful for a Paladin? Were LW leg enchants in vanilla?

3. I will not group up, which means all the dungeon stuff I could get I would have to solo, which means of course just low, maybe mid lvl dungeons. I decided to let myself join raids if I ever get good enough gear for people to let me join. Here's where I need an opinion: joining raids but not joining groups for anything else seems a little... like cheating? There's not much to do without raids though. Do you guys have any ideas how I could implement raiding to be more in spirit of the challenge?

Thank you all very much in advance :) I'm also open for any tips or opinions, but I'm pretty set in stone about race, class and that I want to do such thing.

This is a really awesome idea, @Crystalpall! Even though I don't have anything immediate that pops to mind in regards to your question, I do wish you the best of luck on this project!

Although I must say; seems like just the kind of Challenge a Druid would be ideal for, but I imagine that's heresy.

This is a really awesome idea, @Crystalpall! Even though I don't have anything immediate that pops to mind in regards to your question, I do wish you the best of luck on this project!

Although I must say; seems like just the kind of Challenge a Druid would be ideal for, but I imagine that's heresy.

Shamans and Druids are two classes I despise :p I know Paladin wouldn't be perfect for the job, but it fits my fantasy ^^

-PvP or PvE server?

-Joining raids but not dungeons don't make sense...If you can enter raids you should enter dungeon groups too. OR skip raids too. I think soloing everything look more badazz.

-Need to think more for your prof. question

-PvP or PvE server?

I've always been a PvE kind of guy, but I think I'll go PvP this time. I kind of missed this aspect when I played on PvE.

-Joining raids but not dungeons don't make sense...If you can enter raids you should enter dungeon groups too. OR skip raids too. I think soloing everything look more badazz.

I knooooow and I would totally go that way, but I have a feeling with how Classic works I wouldn't stand a chance soloing even a lvl 40 dungeon, not even talking about endgame dungeons or raids. I could maybe kill some raid trash? I honestly have no clue what my power level would be.

-Need to think more for your prof. question

Something to consider is that you cannot create enchanting scrolls in vanilla. So you will need to either level enchanting several times or wait until you have acquired all your gear.

That's an incredible undertaking, either way. Especially without the ah

blacksmithing is a no brainer

all your(or most of it) gear will come from it

Is BS gear significantly better than what I can get from quests?

Something to consider is that you cannot create enchanting scrolls in vanilla. So you will need to either level enchanting several times or wait until you have acquired all your gear.

That's an incredible undertaking, either way. Especially without the ah

I didn't know that, seems like I'll only enchant my stuff when I'm sure it's a BiS piece or when a BiS is a long way away. Thanks!

My noob questions continue!

I tried out the classic wowhead, and I found out that for some blacksmithing items - like sulfuron hammer - you require BS 325. I thought Classic cap was 300? Also, some items require "Armorsmith", I assume that's a sub-genre like Gnomish or Goblin engi and I can't have both Armorsmith and whatever the weapon one is, but when I drop blacksmithing and level it up from scratch I can get the other one and still use the item I crafted before?

Edit: just found out that if I want the best bags I would need to get a stupidly rare recipe then can create one every 48 days because of cooldowns for mooncloth and some other stuff, sounds like I'll have stuff to do for a long ass time

Last edited:
tbh the smartest thing to do is level with garbage gear and just wait until 60 and farm gold

that way you can pay off a 40 man group to carry you through MC (ok idk if they will let you have gear tho...unless if its like very late into the progression like when ppl have their t2/t3 n stuff and that MC gear is obsolete..then again you could also pay for the gear ofc)

yes you can still use those items(at least like most of them)

you dont have a guild bank in vanilla

tbh the smartest thing to do is level with garbage gear and just wait until 60 and farm gold

that way you can pay off a 40 man group to carry you through MC (ok idk if they will let you have gear tho...unless if its like very late into the progression like when ppl have their t2/t3 n stuff and that MC gear is obsolete..then again you could also pay for the gear ofc)

yes you can still use those items(at least like most of them)

you dont have a guild bank in vanilla

I think a possibility would be raiding, but not looting any gear. Maybe just skinning Onyxia and getting plans? But if I'm allowing that, why not just loot raid loot? Eh

I didn't know vanilla didn't have a gbank. That solves that problem. Thanks

I feel like your points no. 3 will turn your challenge into an impossible task.

Dungeons in Vanilla are a core part of the game that tells big chunks of the story while also rewarding players with gear to progress to the next level.

It will be impossible to gear a toon for a raid without dungeons. Especially Molten Core as you need fire resistance.

I think doing an Ironman Challenge will be easier than what you propose.

im just brainstorming how would you get "endgame"(by ironman standards) gear

quite alot of those recipes are locked into dungeons, etc

plans:corruption looks doable tho and its cheap(ldk lol)
maybe use lesser invisibilty potions and gnomish cloaking devices/dragonlings to distract mobs while one loots

ur gonna have to memorize NPC spawns and patols(lol but tbh it isnt hard)

imho one that stands out is foreman marcrid ...just get all CDs up go in and blow him up..boom theres your endgame sword
the 18 arcanite bars make me shudder tho

then...and nonstop killing those cultists in silithus to farm cenarion circle rep ...you gonna get ganked alot lol

If my memory serves me right, quite alot of the "good" craftable items/enchants are from dungeons or raids.

Essentially you will need to get the pve gear to actually have a chance in PvP as vanilla has a huge power creep from gear. And you can bet that people will be raid geared considering vanilla raids are mechanically the easiest

Considering there will be no BGs for atleast several months, expect to get ganked alot as world pvp is gonna be a thing.
+expect most of the serious pvpers have engineering

Dont rely on "getting gear" from pvp. As the good shit is on last ranks which essentially require you to nolife grind for 12 hours a day for multiple weeks. Even nowadays on private servers you dont see many high warlords/marshals around.

Dont mean it in any offensive way, you are getting into a very different game.
Cant wait for the updates on how the project goes , gl o7

like sulfuron hammer - you require BS 325.
There's a mistake bro. This is the plan's link for Sulfuron.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18592/plans-sulfuron-hammer (BS-300)

For your profession question about Blacksmith mastery:
Once you reach skill level 200 and at least level 40, you can choose whether or not you'd like to become an Armorsmith or a Weaponsmith. When you choose a specialty, however, it cannot be changed unless you completely re-learn Blacksmithing from scratch!

//Another big thing is, most of craftable items require items which craftable by other professions. This will be a big handicap if you won't use auction house.

Last edited:
These are all issues which you will struggle to over-come/make your life hell.

How about add another rule:
Once a week you have a 50g Budget to spend at the auction house, like a real rpg of a holy warrior visiting a city every now and again to stock up on essentials holy water and materials needed to complete your divine mission.

IDK I think you need to give yourself something to make this challenge possible as it looks really fun!

Users who are viewing this thread