Playing the Long Game

Jadyn

39 Evangelist
So after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to play classic. I'm not twinking - yet. When I need to play some twink pvp, I'll log on Warmane for a bit. However, I realized that Classic is a great opportunity, one that hasn't appeared in a while: not just a chance to play a version of the game that I enjoy, but also to grow the twinking community.

I have a challenge for all of you: What are you going to do to make Classic a success for twinks?

Obviously, Blizzard didn't expect this much interest. They still expect lots of people to lose interest, though not as quickly as originally thought. WE want this to continue, though, right? Every player who sticks around is another player available to face in pvp, another person who might sell a twink drop, and also potentially more reason for Blizzard to spend money on supporting Classic. We know people will quit. But every one of you has opportunities to encourage people to stick around.

How? Look at the big picture and play the long game. I have a few ideas:
  • Collect resources, twink gear, etc. The obvious step. Just don't forget to prepare to help twink others besides yourself. Some of you want the first twink, or the first BIS twink at X bracket and class. Fine. I'm suggesting that you should look bigger and longer term: the first twink premade, or the first twink raid on another faction's town. Or some other stunt. Getting max twinked is just so narrow-minded. We can do better in 2019.
  • Everyone has been looking to reconnect with old friends, or start a guild and build twinks with all their buddies. But don't forget to watch out for opportunities to make new friends. If you started a guild, make sure everyone in the guild helps those around them, is being positive, not flaming every group they play with for not being pro enough.
  • This goes with the one above. Recruit newbies, teach them what you know. It's fun to impress people with how powerful your twink is. It's even better to impress people with how awesome you are at helping others. And even if they don't join you, they'll keep playing Classic knowing that people like you are around. The first time I played an arena match against other twinks in TBC, we got stomped on. Then I went over and said GG to the other side, but that I wasn't really interested in continuing to play with them if they were going to insist on spamming /spit. There's a lot of players out there that won't call you out for bad behavior. They'll just leave. That's a loss, no matter what their current skill level.
  • Tell people about twinks, and how much fun they are to both build and play. This might be something for later after most people finish their first 60s. But it's going to be important. Think about how to build our reputation as a subcommunity. Classic is much more a sandbox than modern retail WoW, which another reason why twinking is so much fun. I'm planning to do this much like I did back in the day, but I'm still thinking about how best to approach it.
  • Blizzard has not committed to any particular course of action in managing Classic. They're going to listen to their players. This is an opportunity for us to think carefully about what (if any) changes we would want to push for. This is a long discussion, so I'll start a separate thread about it. IMHO it's also contingent on Blizz being able to implement changes to Classic that are still Classic flavor, if that makes sense. Also, I'm looking ahead to the possibility of TBC- and WotLK-Classic. TBC was really when my chosen bracket took off due to mounts becoming available at 30.
At the end of the day, twinking lives or dies on it's community. Ignore that at your own peril. It's also an opportunity to really show off. Rag and Ony have already been downed. We'll have plenty of twinks soon enough, but how many of you can build groups, guilds, communities? And how many will stick around once things get tough?

I started playing in BC and never knew this was a thing. I had to look it up and sure enough it's true.
Yep! TBC going live was the start of the silver age of twinking, particularly for 39s, if you think of xp-off in 3.3 as the start of the golden age as I've heard some people say.

WotLK was a boon for 29s because that's when mounts became available to them. And it was also a huge boost to all twinks because there were some updates to the itemization that led to a lot of reworked twinks and also some brand new builds that had never been considered before (e.g. spellhance shammys). On some level, I don't really expect anything other than 19s to be very popular in Vanilla. I'm planning on collecting every possible item I can for my 39 twink in preparation for the possibility of TBC being released after phase 6.

I'm serious about the "Long Game".

/Wave!! You eyeing Classic?
Not anymore. I played on launch for about 3 hours after waiting in queue for 4 hours. The next night, 3 hours into waiting, I said piss on this and dropped tickets to Blizzard to refund my game time for 2 accounts. I was already irritated because my company was on strike and I wasn't getting paid... now I am over it. :)

Good to see you playing again. You "are" the 39 bracket.

For anyone that doesn't know Jaydn, read this:
https://xpoff.com/threads/meet-the-twinks-jadyn-39-repost.47162/

Users who are viewing this thread