Pally rets

Zorglub

Legend
GEAR -
It seems like we need 1 hit rating less then in cata.
which means instead of getting Boots of the Hero and Drakewing Bands we can go with Boots of the Hero, Bracers of the Most Trusted and Demon Band
We need 6 hit rating now, so ignore the things written above.

Also don't forget to change Scales of Aku'mai with Foreman's Leggings or Kalecgos' Gift since having intellect means nothing for us anymore.

ABILITIES -
we lost exo and got some new ability (can't find it on wowhead) that shares CD with Crusader Strike. New spell is also melee only and gives a 30% less damage (it might be 20%, can't remember) aoe debuff to enemies, this means it should be used once for setting debuff on ppl then use Crusader Strike.

Also Templar's Verdict can now be used ONLY with 3 stacks of holy power. This also seems like a nerf tbh.

With loosing exo and thus having no range abilities, its even more easier to kite us now.
When I think of it, it seems like we are the only class now that doesn't have any mobility at all.
A skilled mage or hunter can kite us endlessly...

Lets hope things will get fixed (though I really, really doubt it).
If things remain as is, consider switching to holy or prot since we'll be of more use in any of those 2 specs then in ret.

EDIT: The topic should be renamed to 5.0.4 - Pally rets

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the first tier paladin talent choices?
Was wondering the same. I think Paladins are one of the hardest to kite classes atm -_-

What about the first tier paladin talent choices?
True, forgot about those.
I took the Speed of Light talent and 45sec CD is just too long. you can use it once to get to 1 person and that's it, afterwards you are helpless.
Haven't tried rest though, will have to w8 for healers to get nerfed to test other talents.

Hit cap is 6 for melee now
Rly? bollocks...
If i remember correctly they said hit will be lowered in MoP for melee?

tbh I should have written all of this when I can access my char to test things out...

As for other things - I was interested is PVP gear better now then the valor one?

True, forgot about those.
I took the Speed of Light talent and 45sec CD is just too long. you can use it once to get to 1 person and that's it, afterwards you are helpless.
Haven't tried rest though, will have to w8 for healers to get nerfed to test other talents.

Rly? bollocks...
If i remember correctly they said hit will be lowered in MoP for melee?

tbh I should have written all of this when I can access my char to test things out...

As for other things - I was interested is PVP gear better now then the valor one?

I use Long arm of the law. It is far more useful than the 70% sprint against ranged classes. If you want to change it go to class trainer.

Also ret damage is horrible now. I used to hit over 300 crusader strike non crit. Now I get around 100ish non crit. It is undeniable, the worst pally spec.

Seems like this added question got unnoticed...
Any thoughts about using PVP shoulders and weapons in general? (like for all classes)

Take Pursuit of Justice - Spell - World of Warcraft it's the most overall speed. Long arm is okay, but only 50% uptime. The sprint is fine for holy, but rets need ToT. Before the patch ret got 25% bonus damage, which abilities scaled from, after the patch it's scaled down to 10% bonus damage. CS was 175% and is now 125% +X amount. TV was 303% and is now 275% +X amount. Overall white damage, CS and TV are all doing less damage than they did. Exo is gone too obviously, as is devotion aura and agility giving crit. Agility is now 100% useless to ret. Int gives spell crit but not SP so pretty much useless too.

Hammer of the Righteous - Spell - World of Warcraft does 20% weapon damage to the target and 35% to everyone else within 8 yards and gives them the weakened blows debuff, which is 10% less physical damage done. Judgement now does DOUBLE the damage it did prepatch. Also, since the seal simply adds 10% damage, you do fewer attacks and so take less hits from thorns and similar effects. Bubble has been replaced, which is good for the ret, and bad for anyone healing the ret. Holy only get 25% healing bonus. Ret gets 30% healing bonus to the only two heal abilities rets have. Rets also only get SP from AP now at a rate of 50%. Also 6% mana return every 2 seconds.

Both ally and horde are melee hit capped from the two quest items they should both have. Eyepatch and wrist, and boots and wrist. The only problem is that judgement may be considered a spell now, and so requires double the amount of hit. I haven't bothered testing this ingame though.

Personally, I don't think it's worth sacrificing damage and crit for PvP defense. Certainly use the BoA trinket for non humans, but that's the only resilience you need.

Overall, ret has taken a damage Nerf, and been given some extra mobility and bonus healing and cleanse. It's pretty stupid that a heal spec does more damage than a DPS spec. I can't imagine even Blizz's stupidity extends to considering that to be working as intended. As it stands currently, ret is a waste of time. Perhaps that will change in future.

Rets are pretty nice now their jugdements damage were increased and now we have a nice mobility with the new talents, but now with 40%resilience we didnt need CS and TV nerfed... i really miss the old ret pally, if only talents were changed now pally would have the good damage and good mobility.

Not ret related, but holy shock will be fixed. It hardly scales with spellpower and consistently crits 650+ regardless of gear.

I'm fairly sure from my 85 hpal that i can judge while blanketed or even locked out. ie Melee

Judgement has changed many times in exactly what type of ability it is. For ret, the issue is whether or not it's considered a spell when it comes to hit rating. Holy get 15% hit for judgement, so it's not a direct translation. I'd have to test it against someone the same level as ret to be sure. Also, expertise gives spell hit, so to test it without expertise would be best.

Not ret related, but holy shock will be fixed. It hardly scales with spellpower and consistently crits 650+ regardless of gear.

Yes, holy shock is broken and just plain ridiculous.

Rets are pretty nice now their jugdements damage were increased and now we have a nice mobility with the new talents, but now with 40%resilience we didnt need CS and TV nerfed... i really miss the old ret pally, if only talents were changed now pally would have the good damage and good mobility.

Yes, judgement damage increased and the CD reduced. More parry too. It's not all bad news, but ret is still junk.

Wasn't sure where to post this but here goes:The tooltip on Judgement says it generates 1 Holy Power now (at least while I'm specced as Prot). Used that move quite a lot but I've yet to gain any Holy Power...Anybody else getting this problem or is my game just bugged? o:lEdit: My other abilities are working fine, though.

Users who are viewing this thread