Outlaw

Ammonite

I've been playing my rogue a little bit. Mostly BGs, some arena. I float between sub and assassination, which I prefer.

I was lucky enough to get an epic https://www.wowhead.com/item=156998/cudgel-of-naralex but even with that crutch I can't make outlaw work. Sub and assassination just perform better. My build is crit/haste right now. I might try to get some mastery pieces and test that out.

How do people feel about outlaw vs. assassination and subtlety?

the few times I've dabbled in rogue have been as outlaw. It works, if your goal is to be disruptive and objective focused. Doesnt work too well if your goal is to try to go toe-to-toe with other classes. At least, I'm not good enough to pull that off.

I prefer Outlaw because grappling hook doesnt require a target in order to reposition, pistol shot gives you a (weak) slow, mace/axe xmogs are cooler than daggers, and pirate > ninja (to revisit that tedious meme). A mastery/crit build seems to be sufficient to keep damage from being totally anemic, though I've pretty much decided if I ever resub, im ditching the crit gems and going full agi/stam to just be a tanky control boy.

the few times I've dabbled in rogue have been as outlaw. It works, if your goal is to be disruptive and objective focused. Doesnt work too well if your goal is to try to go toe-to-toe with other classes. At least, I'm not good enough to pull that off.

I prefer Outlaw because grappling hook doesnt require a target in order to reposition, pistol shot gives you a (weak) slow, mace/axe xmogs are cooler than daggers, and pirate > ninja (to revisit that tedious meme). A mastery/crit build seems to be sufficient to keep damage from being totally anemic, though I've pretty much decided if I ever resub, im ditching the crit gems and going full agi/stam to just be a tanky control boy.

I love outlaw thematically. Maybe that's why I'm so miffed about it not feeling great. As assassin I can 100-0 most hunters in a CC chain if they don't have a trinket. With outlaw I can drop them to 30-40%? Sounds like I should be experimenting more with mastery considering main gauche seems to scale off of MH weapon damage.

You should have tried a stam build back when crusader was dishing out the big heals. Sure didn't seem good, but it was fun. I almost felt like a healer with https://www.wowhead.com/spell=354425/drink-up-me-hearties

I really like haste mastery for just cruising in dungeons, those bladeflurry mastery procs are pretty fun to watch. In pvp though I am not 100% sure, I sometimes swap back and forth from a haste mastery and vers haste set up. Sometimes I just have fun and go haste crit as well. You could probably go with a no haste build as well and make it work, just hard to give up the energy regen.

I've been playing my rogue a little bit. Mostly BGs, some arena. I float between sub and assassination, which I prefer.

I was lucky enough to get an epic https://www.wowhead.com/item=156998/cudgel-of-naralex but even with that crutch I can't make outlaw work. Sub and assassination just perform better. My build is crit/haste right now. I might try to get some mastery pieces and test that out.

How do people feel about outlaw vs. assassination and subtlety?
As you can see, people here have little to no idea about stats so you'll be better off trying different builds yourself and see what works best.

As you can see, people here have little to no idea about stats so you'll be better off trying different builds yourself and see what works best.
Yeah, I'll just pretend that it's a healthy spec and any build is viable. People are running pretty much every combination of secondaries.

It's not as cut and dry as I thought it would be. Which is fine. Plenty of room to theorycraft

Yeah, I'll just pretend that it's a healthy spec and any build is viable. People are running pretty much every combination of secondaries.

It's not as cut and dry as I thought it would be. Which is fine. Plenty of room to theorycraft

Just focus in on what the biggest problem is and fix it... if its energy regen fix it... if its damage... more +3 gems. Some specs just suck ass. That's what I did with enhance to find the balance I wanted.

The problem that I have seen is that what blizzard wants you to do with Haste/Mastery and attack speed to get the extra off hand attacks is just not on par with other classes damage output (It's also in conflict with BC gem gear secondary stats, which always sucks). SL has been mainly about BIG DUMB HITS, not wearing people down. And if you just switch to Outlaw from an agility stacked build you just decided to do less damage :p

Last edited:
Sense you never got the answer...

Outlaw - Vers>Crit>Haste>Mastery
Assassination - Haste>Crit>Vers>Mastery
Subtlety - Mastery>Crit>Vers>Haste

As Chop said, the Outlaw spec can worth it with the grappling hook and the pistol shot. These two spells can slow your opponents and allow you to go everywhere, that's not insignificant tbh.

Especially if you love PvE as much as PvP. The two other specs are really PvP oriented. That's also their advantage, but the Outlaw spec looks like the most versatile to me.

Users who are viewing this thread