Oldtimers Life Update Thread

Dorigon

Alpha and Omega
Hey, not sure whether this will gain any traction, but will give it a try. I interacted with a bunch of people in the WoW twinking community for some years, many of whom became good (online) friends, and have subsequently lost contact with pretty much all of them. I'm curious about where everyone is in life post-WoW (or even if still playing), so if you see this thread, it would be cool to see what you have been up to, whether I knew you or not.

I'll go first. I still live in China after seven years, have a pretty successful English-teaching business that I run with my wife, and have two young children. I don't play WoW or any other online games, and my main hobby is riding my bicycle. I don't regret my WoW addiction very much, and look back on those times fondly, but life is definitely more rewarding now.

Hey, not sure whether this will gain any traction, but will give it a try. I interacted with a bunch of people in the WoW twinking community for some years, many of whom became good (online) friends, and have subsequently lost contact with pretty much all of them. I'm curious about where everyone is in life post-WoW (or even if still playing), so if you see this thread, it would be cool to see what you have been up to, whether I knew you or not.

I'll go first. I still live in China after seven years, have a pretty successful English-teaching business that I run with my wife, and have two young children. I don't play WoW or any other online games, and my main hobby is riding my bicycle. I don't regret my WoW addiction very much, and look back on those times fondly, but life is definitely more rewarding now.

Not many left from your days but they're definitely around. I'd poke around the classic section too, as a lot of skill ratio moved to classic 19s. Good to see you're enjoying life and happy/healthy!

This could be such an interesting thread! I still work in IT at a large university, and while I made forays into a couple of other games, I came back both with good hopes for Shadowlands and the feeling that it might be WoW's last hurrah.

You know how some families have that crazy uncle, who would do anything for you and the kids love, but you know he's kinda nuts? Like, he's the guy building snow ramps for you to sled off, or making ridiculous explosion sounds when you hit him with a water balloon, so that passing neighbors are like, wtf? Turns out I'm that uncle, and I love it. It's been a blessing.

I chat with @youbeezy once a week, and sometimes we reminisce about old times. I put a lot of time into twinking, and it gave me back just as much, if not more. It's been great to see old names after all these years, even if we didn't interact that much. Twinkers are such an interesting bunch!

You know.. I think about this question more than once.. Sometimes I wonder if the people I came across in wow are still alive.. Considering the fact when we first started with human and orc almost 3 decades ago before everyone move to wow.. I think even at that time many of them were much older than me.. That means they could be in their 70s or 80s now :D:D:D

I still play this cock ass of a dog shit game, but mostly doing PvE trying to get the stupid twink gear that won't drop, I'm studying business stuff and still doing art posting to instagram

Are you a citizen?

You must be so, and that's impressive. China’s immigration and citizenship policies are quite harsh. I heard something like 1000 people a year get citizenships. Since its all merit based immigration and their version of highly selective liberalization only has room for a tiny amount of specialized roles in it.

Are you a citizen?

You must be so, and that's impressive. China’s immigration and citizenship policies are quite harsh. I heard something like 1000 people a year get citizenships. Since its all merit based immigration and their version of highly selective liberalization only has room for a tiny amount of specialized roles in it.
The word you're looking for is permanent resident, and no, I'm not. Will apply for it next year. I've gotten by on work visas up to now.

Are you a citizen?

i dont think there is citizenship for most foreigners .. its a long term residency permit .. even that is tough like hell .. those who gets it must have "contributed" greatly to their country in some field .. no amount of money can be paid to get it .. this is how protective the government is to their country, people said green card in america is tough, wait till they see China.

I think you will be able to get it

The Chinese know they really need competent English teachers, particularly of the American variety
Profession is irrelevant in my city, just need to meet the requirements. Five years married and living in China, roughly $25k sitting in the bank, a clean FBI background check.

It's more difficult in the biggest cities, as they place their own requirements on income and such.

Been working for quite a few years now and advancing myself (still played WoW at the beginning of my career). I spend a lot more time on real life activities these days, although Corona has put a damper on things for now.

I've met quite a few people on WoW as well and I've kept contact with a few as well as seen some IRL. Turned out a few lived within my own municipality, which is pretty crazy considering I came from quite a rural place.

I look back at WoW fondly as well as it's been quite a big part of my life. I have been wondering whether I should pick it back up again at one point or another because of TBC. But at the same time, I don't know if I can go back to something as demanding as WoW again. TBC and WotLK were the 2 expansions I super no-lifed (endgame, not twinks).

In the end, I believe we all knew that WoW was temporary as life does move on, but that doesn't mean it doesn't stick with you in one way or another.

Last time I was regularly around in game was during the podcast days I think. Like everyone else I put a ridiculous amount of time toward the game and creating various forms of content.

Since then I have started up a business designing and making puzzles for escape rooms. @Kirise even joined me and Mrs. Yoube in San Antonio for an escape room conference a couple years ago.

If any of you out there have done a few different rooms there is a decent chance you have come across one of my puzzles.

What a neat idea for a thread!

I haven't played WoW in several years, but I still play Hearthstone when I have the time. I look back on my time on WoW with a mixture of fondness and sadness.

I'm currently a busy mom and busy in my career. I've quite enjoyed working from home during the pandemic and am sad about having to return to the office soon.

I've gained some new hobbies during the pandemic. One is fostering cats and the other is a houseplant collection. I've also been getting to know some new family members ( thanks 23andme :p ).

I hope everyone is doing well. I would love to hear from my old twink buds and what everyone is up to now!

I can’t believe that this year, 2022 I would have played WoW for 12 years, having started in 2010.

Not a lot has changed for me, I have a wife and kids and have been working as an engineer for quite a while now. The last 2 years have been the busiest of my life work wise. I would have expected things to slow down with a pandemic but it hasn’t, and this years is looking like it’ll be busier.

I made a decision at the start to 2020 to drop to a 4 day work week, so I could give back, volunteer and also counsel people. It hasn’t helped finance wise, but we are still getting by, but I have noticed the need for a lot of people is great. People get affected in different ways with the restrictions and stuff, and some peoples head gets in a bad place. So I’m trying to do a little good as I get older and wiser.

WoW is still something I enjoy. Been on 20’s now since 2015, and it’s still keeping me entertained. For me it’s a great escape from reality - not that my life is bad or anything, I just enjoy that hour or 2 in Azeroth most nights, and also the community of 20’s. :ez:

Users who are viewing this thread