Official Reply to Vanilla Servers and Nostalrius

MMO-Champion

wowmini.png
Legion - Gold Cap Raised to 10 Million Gold

Official Reply to Vanilla Servers and Nostalrius
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker
/ Official Forums
)
We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.

J. Allen Brack

Continue reading...

Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder.
Problem is you still kill mobs in 3 seconds without heirlooms. I miss being dead if you accidentally pulled 3 mobs at the same time while leveling.

"We are listening but we aren't listening" :D
That or "We are listening but we just don't care". Also he's completely full of shit. The whole "it's too difficult to do" angle and the even worse "it'll hurt Blizzard's name not to protect it's digital rights" bullshit is insulting. Those folks who ran Nostalrius MADE NOTHING OFF OF IT, in fact it COST THEM MONEY, all for the love of the Game they miss and the hatred of the Game it's become BECAUSE OF BLIZZARD (and Activision).

EDIT: @Leek I really like the way you did your Signature!

Last edited:
This still feels like a "peeing your own pants to keep you warm for a second" solution... still will be flying? still will be shit economy? still will be shit expansions? ... they should seriously just get nost team for a penny and make em make vanilla again

This still feels like a "peeing your own pants to keep you warm for a second" solution... still will be flying? still will be shit economy? still will be shit expansions? ... they should seriously just get nost team for a penny and make em make vanilla again
Yeah I've always wondered why blizzard didn't hire the nost guys to do the vanilla server. I can understand when blizzard said they "had their hands full" but lol there's a bunch of people who do want to go through the trouble of keeping such a server up

Ugh what a cop out, very disappointing, and I don't even care about vanilla servers, they just seem in denial that their game is falling apart.

Hard to say why Blizzard really can’t implement Legacy servers. We just have to take them for the word that it is not “easy”. If “official” Legacy servers were to start up I may dabble in them myself a bit. But as they say… “Been there, done that”. Although, it would be nice to revisit some of the old quest lines again.
That whole line of logic bothers me, why should it be easy? Feels like a slap in the face.

"it'll hurt Blizzard's name not to protect it's digital rights" bullshit is insulting.
Actually, with the way copyright law works in the US you have to actively defend your trademarks or you will lose the rights to them. So there was truth to the statement "failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights." Notice how you misquoted it.

This doesn't however prevent them from licensing the rights to their IP to others such as the nostalrius team, obviously. The problem you face there is that Blizzard, being the big company they are, wouldn't put their brand in the hands of something as unprofessional as a small team of volunteers. But of course they can't write something like that with the state the community is in right now.

Whether you like it or not, and I personally don't btw, taking down Nostalrius was the only option. You should just be happy that the community backlash has opened up this subject and hope that blizzard decides to open some kind of legacy realm themselves.

it's disappointing but damn
"We are listening but we aren't listening" :D
Ugh what a cop out, very disappointing, and I don't even care about vanilla servers, they just seem in denial that their game is falling apart.
That or "We are listening but we just don't care". Also he's completely full of shit. The whole "it's too difficult to do" angle and the even worse "it'll hurt Blizzard's name not to protect it's digital rights" bullshit is insulting. Those folks who ran Nostalrius MADE NOTHING OFF OF IT, in fact it COST THEM MONEY, all for the love of the Game they miss and the hatred of the Game it's become BECAUSE OF BLIZZARD (and Activision).

EDIT: @Leek I really like the way you did your Signature!

some of you are mad a f

blizz is a company they make their own decisions and you have to respect them, don't whine... move forward they already get enough shit as it is ROFL

guess it goes to show "you can't please everyone"

Yeah I've always wondered why blizzard didn't hire the nost guys to do the vanilla server. I can understand when blizzard said they "had their hands full" but lol there's a bunch of people who do want to go through the trouble of keeping such a server up
they said they are talking to them and about some 'pristine' server, perhaps we will see something after Legion comes out

Last edited:
just get a server. put vanilla version on it. turn off EVERYTHING. make it separate sub fee for x2 price. state that this is what game use to be and we dont care about bugs/exploits/duping. you asked for it - deal with it. problem solved.

I would imagine one of their primary concerns would be how they could make money out of it. After all, they do have to keep the shareholders happy. In order to do that it all has to be done within budgetary constraints. Which means giving it a budget in the first place.

We, their paying customers, are asking(or many are telling under threats of death and murder) to offer this service to us without charging us a single penny more than they are charging us now. Why should Blizzard do that? I thought the majority of the player base was complaining about not enough NEW content. Now they are wanting OLD content? Are players now going to start threatening to quit their subscriptions if Blizzard does not give them a Legacy server?

People that like to play WoW, such as myself and many people on XPoff, aren’t leaving any time soon. They will continue to play WoW just as we have for years. If a player truly dislikes WoW or it really doesn’t offer what they want/need in a game they will move on or just play WoW less. Not being able to play Vanilla won’t change that. And Blizzard knows this.

Sure, it would bring back some players on a temporary basis. They would trickle away similar to how people do during expansion swells.

If Blizzard brings back Legacy servers it would be a hit for sure at the beginning if done correctly. As for the halfa$$ attempt, they are just setting it up to fail on purpose.
Fair enough, I think starting to put out quality expansions is a far better course of action, we'll see about that tho.

just get a server. put vanilla version on it. turn off support. make it separate sub fee for x2 price. state that this is what game use to be and we dont care about bugs/exploits/duping. you asked for it - deal with it. problem solved.
I would love to see you run a company ROFL

the devil is always in the details

just get a server. put vanilla version on it. turn off EVERYTHING. make it separate sub fee for x2 price. state that this is what game use to be and we dont care about bugs/exploits/duping. you asked for it - deal with it. problem solved.
Pretty crazy that someone would have to explain this, but Blizzard as a company has a brand to maintain. Part of their brand, whether some of their whiny customers realize it or not, is that they release highly polished games and expansions. It's simply not Blizzards style to do something as half-assed as you describe, and doing so would hurt their brand.

they release highly polished games and expansions. It's simply not Blizzards style to do something as half-assed as you describe, and doing so would hurt their brand.
You lost me on that one, maybe they are just giving up on WoW, I don't play their other games, my frame of reference is limited.

It's not as easy as some people are thinking, it's not, you have to think about aspects such as battle.net implementation. However, it's not at all as hard as they are making it out to be.

You lost me on that one, maybe they are just giving up on WoW, I don't play their other games, my frame of reference is limited.
I bet you also don't play other mmos. They're all shit even compared to WoD, no matter how shit WoD is compared to x expansion.

Users who are viewing this thread