Number of Players That Can Loot from A Mob Kill

From what I understand, multiple players not in a party can loot from the same rare mob (say Skhowl for his Feathered Headdress) so long as each one did some damage to the mob. But is there any limit on the player count? Because 2 of my toons (ungrouped) did hit Skhowl using auto-attack, by was killed by another group of many alts. Surprisingly, my 2 toons cannot loot from the corpse. Did I miss something?

5 is probably the max. If you try and tag a mob with more than 5 players it'll be grey to the 6th and onward players and they wont get loot.

This was the case with Fenissa in Bloodmyst for me at least, so I am guessing it'll be the same for the other rares people farm.

5 is probably the max. If you try and tag a mob with more than 5 players it'll be grey to the 6th and onward players and they wont get loot.

This was the case with Fenissa in Bloodmyst for me at least, so I am guessing it'll be the same for the other rares people farm.
Any idea what determines who is the 6th unlucky one? Is it the last one that did damage? My case was that there were 3 individual entities, my 2 ungrouped toons, plus a group of 4-5 from someone else. My 2 hit the mob first, but one of the member from the other group kill the mob. All of his group members can get a loot but not mine, although technically my toons hit first.

From my understanding it is 8 players max (two groups of 4 players). If there is a group of 5 players then it limits it to that group alone.

We would farm in 2 groups of 4 players thus all 8 would get the loot from the mob. If you fill the 5th spot in either group it eliminates looting for the other group.

Infinite players if the 5th of a group disband and forms another group (and so on)?
Dudes at WoW Treasure Finding Discord use this trick to get dozens of people to loot a rare mob.

Last edited:
My 2 hit the mob first, but one of the member from the other group kill the mob. All of his group members can get a loot but not mine, although technically my toons hit first.
It's probably also worth remembering that (during particularly competitive camping situations) "first" on your screen isn't always "first" from the server's viewpoint.

(...and not to digress, but "Egocentric Temporal Order Bias" also just happened to be recently confirmed as causing most everyone to think that they hit something "first" when dealing with closely-timed events.)

Last edited:
Huh. Well I've clearly been farming things wrong with this party of four strategy in mind lol. Good to know! Odd how it limits it to 5 otherwise though, dont see how that would be beneficial for it to work that way.

Just my tidbit for the groups of 5 though since it was brought up, I always made sure all group members tagged the mob to be sure they'd qualify for loot. Once this has been done the 6th/onwards people will see that the mob is 'greyed out', as if it's the opposing faction who have tagged first.

Huh. Well I've clearly been farming things wrong with this party of four strategy in mind lol. Good to know! Odd how it limits it to 5 otherwise though, dont see how that would be beneficial for it to work that way.

Just my tidbit for the groups of 5 though since it was brought up, I always made sure all group members tagged the mob to be sure they'd qualify for loot. Once this has been done the 6th/onwards people will see that the mob is 'greyed out', as if it's the opposing faction who have tagged first.

Try to do this, as it was working in 8.0 at least (got Aeonaxx this way):
  • Player 1 pulls mob.
  • Player 1 slowly invites Players 2-5 to Group A.
  • As Players 2-5 get in the group, each one heals Player 1 and is healed by Player 1.
  • Player 1 leaves Group A and invites Player 6-9 to Group B (...)
Yeah, it requires healers. Maybe, bandages can work for classes w/o heals.

Try to do this, as it was working in 8.0 at least (got Aeonaxx this way):
  • Player 1 pulls mob.
  • Player 1 slowly invites Players 2-5 to Group A.
  • As Players 2-5 get in the group, each one heals Player 1 and is healed by Player 1.
  • Player 1 leaves Group A and invites Player 6-9 to Group B (...)
Yeah, it requires healers. Maybe, bandages can work for classes w/o heals.

Interesting. I dont think I'll ever need to go to such extremes as even a group of 5 is a fairly uncommon event for when I farm, but it's good to know. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread