Nightmare Tear for Warrior

Zendrakk

When gemming out a warrior between the +4 Armor & +6 Stamina, and the +2 Strength & +2 Stamina gems, should I ultimately replace one of the +2 gems with a Nightmare Tear instead (+4 all stats)? I didn't see anything about this in the warrior forums, but wanted to confirm as this seems to logically make sense and wanted some further input on it. Thanks!

Skimming my bookmarked warriors, almost all go all talasites with no nightmare tear. Or if not all talasites, they use one nightmare tear.

You should replace a 2/2 with the nightmare tear, it says "all stats" but that's just because it gives whatever primary stat your class uses and stamina. So a nightmare tear is strictly better than a 2/2 gem.

Personally, I wouldn't use any 2/2 str stam gems unless you're looking for a specific amount only obtainable with them. For example, if you had 3 slots to fill, and you already had the nightmare tear elsewhere. If you filled all 3 w/ 2 str 2 stam gems, you'd have 6 str 6 stam. If you used one talasite (4 armor / 6 stam) and two +3 str gems, you'd have 6 str 6 stam, and 4 armor. Or if you used 2 str / 2 secondary gems, you'd have 4 str, 6 stam, 4 armor, and 4 secondaries. Essentially, talasites are so efficient at stamina that they should be used instead of any other gem that gives stamina.

You should replace a 2/2 with the nightmare tear, it says "all stats" but that's just because it gives whatever primary stat your class uses and stamina. So a nightmare tear is strictly better than a 2/2 gem.

Personally, I wouldn't use any 2/2 str stam gems unless you're looking for a specific amount only obtainable with them. For example, if you had 3 slots to fill, and you already had the nightmare tear elsewhere. If you filled all 3 w/ 2 str 2 stam gems, you'd have 6 str 6 stam. If you used one talasite (4 armor / 6 stam) and two +3 str gems, you'd have 6 str 6 stam, and 4 armor. Or if you used 2 str / 2 secondary gems, you'd have 4 str, 6 stam, 4 armor, and 4 secondaries. Essentially, talasites are so efficient at stamina that they should be used instead of any other gem that gives stamina.
Shitttttt now I gotta change some shit on my rogue because I didn’t think that I could just run 2x 3 agil gems and 1x talasites in a 3 socket piece to be better than 2 agil 2 stam

It's 4 armor difference, if talasites are scarce it'll do... unless someone knows a surefire way to farm/make them.

I screwed up and went 2/2 on a toon early on and honestly I cant tell you anyone would know the difference in result.

Mmmmm delicious! Thank you for the detailed explanation Gobolord! Now to just find that magical "health pool" so I can put the rest of the secondary stat/strength gems into my biceps for maximum benefit!

You can also farm a couple of a few armor slots, and switch as needed... have a stam set and DPS set and/or mix.

I wouldnt recommend getting a few of ALL the socket drops, but maybe the easier ones or ones you already have.

TBC grind is insane enough without doing it all 2-3 times per toon. ;)

edit- looking at your armory, I'd say the legs are easiest to get extra without going nuts, and also an alternative to your gloves would be either https://www.wowhead.com/item=25942/faith-bearers-gauntlets?bonus=6710 or https://www.wowhead.com/item=24387/ironblade-gauntlets?bonus=6710 which are both easy-ish first-boss drops.

Last edited:
You want one on your set somewhere @Zendrakk . My recommended slot is usually the bracers, or some other slot that may only have one if you are using off-set pieces that have a PROC socket. Since it's +3/+3 at lvl 20 to all stats it's strictly better than than any +2/+2 or simple +3. Comparing to Steady Talasite you lose about .8% physical damage mitigation and 3 stam which can be anywhere from 30-40hp on average. It represents a good solid all around piece, hence why I recommend it on something you probably don't want to change very often, a piece that is important but also not super impactual.

It's 4 armor difference, if talasites are scarce it'll do... unless someone knows a surefire way to farm/make them.

I screwed up and went 2/2 on a toon early on and honestly I cant tell you anyone would know the difference in result.
This is definitely a fair point. I wrote a guide about getting talasites, but it still takes a pretty gnarly grind to fill out your slots as is sort of the standard recommendation for warriors. So since warriors basically have to go Wrath JC anyway, I can totally see how it might not be worth your time to get talasites.

I can totally see how it might not be worth your time to get talasites.

Well if you decide to go heavy on the talasites then it's very worth your time, I was just speaking of doing a str/stam mix.

I still dont know how useful it is to gem any str so long as crusader is broken, except to use it in a 2/2 with crit or haste. Saying that I wouldnt necessarily go raw str with talasite, more likely a 2/2 of str and crit or haste as needed per spec.

4/4/6 instead of 6/6 seems like the extra crit/haste will better compliment a crusader proc than 2 extra strength on 100.

Not tested tho, hard to say without simming it out or something... and that's still not "proof" for PvP use. It's hard to say how much strength you can actually give up before it starts to seriously impact your overall performance. AKA noodle dmg.

Also hard to say how much you can keep and sacrifice survivability for raw damage, really a personal preference thing.

I wrote a guide about getting talasites

Just a side note, I never read your guide but I prospected well over 2000 ore and didnt come close to enough talasite for every slot. Got maybe 15 talasite out of 2200-2500 ore? Guessing but I had a lot lower result than the guide expected.

Was even using the green gems for brilliant glass and got 1-2 out of 15 of those. :oops:

Last edited:
Just a side note, I never read your guide but I prospected well over 2000 ore and didnt come close to enough talasite for every slot. Got maybe 15 talasite out of 2200-2500 ore? Guessing but I had a lot lower result than the guide expected.

Was even using the green gems for brilliant glass and got 1-2 out of 15 of those.
I've done the Talasite grind now twice on my toon (just to have a spare stack for the future) and can confirm that you can expect about 12-15 per 2k adamantite.

The grind is honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. You can gem a warrior in full talasites in about 16 hours of grinding. Which is 3 weeks faster than you would gem a warrior with various 2/2s waiting on Wrath xmute CDs.

Skimming my bookmarked warriors, almost all go all talasites with no nightmare tear. Or if not all talasites, they use one nightmare tear.

I also notice that most of the warriors in the Armory go all-in on Talasites, which is awesome if the power to melt faces is there from the normal gear stats/enchants! I guess if you have a heal bot following you around then the high heath pool isn't as imperative, but I’m also still constantly learning new things daily in the world of twinking.

So after recommending the legs above ealier, I still stand by that but feel like it would be remiss to not mention that https://www.wowhead.com/item=30536/greaves-of-the-martyr?bonus=6710 got a buff on the PTR, while the easy-to-get legs stay the same... so just throwing it out there.

If you're really gonna min-max your gems to any exacting point, it's probably worth the investment to get good legs.

I still cant blame anyone for not trying (myself most of all), that dungeon isnt worth 5 haste....

But for those that care more, better check out the PTR for changes if you're making a toon now.

Faqlo41.png

edit- also can note that those are on my first 20 warrior of SL, dont think I ever worried about them again... ;)

So after recommending the legs above ealier, I still stand by that but feel like it would be remiss to not mention that https://www.wowhead.com/item=30536/greaves-of-the-martyr?bonus=6710 got a buff on the PTR, while the easy-to-get legs stay the same... so just throwing it out there.

If you're really gonna min-max your gems to any exacting point, it's probably worth the investment to get good legs.

I still cant blame anyone for not trying (myself most of all), that dungeon isnt worth 5 haste....

But for those that care more, better check out the PTR for changes if you're making a toon now.

Faqlo41.png

edit- also can note that those are on my first 20 warrior of SL, dont think I ever worried about them again... ;)

Ill note here that with the greaves of the martyr and faith bearers gauntlets, you can shave a not insignificant amount off your MS cooldown without giving up any real amount of crit. It's worth picking them up.

crusader go brrrrr

I was practicing on a target dummy while waiting for my sub to eventually expire, in the meantime setting up my WeakAuras bars for procs, buffs etc, and didn't realize that Crusader can keep proccing before the first buff is even expired. I think the best I saw it was making my buff last like 45 seconds straight with several over-lapping procs! Are there any secrets to cause that thing to trigger more often (hitting insta-abilities like Hamstring), or is it 100% pure RNG luck??

Users who are viewing this thread