New DH twink with a weapon question

Beav395

Veteran
Hello all,

I started a new DH twink. I just got him to 110 but I'm going to turn off xp at 111. I think my plan will be to use him for farming old raids and dungeons so ill probably prioritize speed over min/maxing for IE runs. I've read the twink guide in this forum and its been really helpful. I have a plan for attaining my armor slots but I'm not sure what to do about my weapons. Currently i have the Legion artifact weapon and the ilvl is 166. What is involved in leveling up my artifact weapon to the point its worth keeping? If leveling up my artifact weapon is something i dont want to are there any other decent options from BFA content? I'm pretty new to the whole twinking thing but this forum has been a great place to learn.

Thanks,

Well far as 110s twinking goes there are two levels to it the bottom one being people who don't want BiS gear and will not be farming Antorus runs. There you would get the relics to make your artifact weapon your best choice, and of course best gear as well. But if you rather forego paying for runs in Antorus or dealing with it in general then you can settle for pure BFA gear.

That being said 210 weapons can be found via Rares, this is where I usually get mine from. Though you are not in BiS gear, bfa weapons and armor can have a 110 twink feeling quite strong compared to a average joe easily and can still do well. And also may save you less hassle and money. You juat won't be strong as a BiS Antorus twink but you will be fine though.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Well far as 110s twinking goes there are two levels to it the bottom one being people who don't want BiS gear and will not be farming Antorus runs. There you would get the relics to make your artifact weapon your best choice, and of course best gear as well. But if you rather forego paying for runs in Antorus or dealing with it in general then you can settle for pure BFA gear.

That being said 210 weapons can be found via Rares, this is where I usually get mine from. Though you are not in BiS gear, bfa weapons and armor can have a 110 twink feeling quite strong compared to a average joe easily and can still do well. And also may save you less hassle and money. You juat won't be strong as a BiS Antorus twink but you will be fine though.

Yea, I'm not going to be doing Mythic Antorus runs so I completely understand I'm not going to be a top tier twink.

Just look up the BfA rares for your armor and weapon type, with 210 and leggos you'll solo most all the legion content you can handle, including some mythic dungeons on many classes. Raids are raids, so don't expect that... but so much else.

edit- there's BfA questlines you can do for 217 weapon too that aren't very long. Way easier than upgrading artifacts.
[doublepost=1546426117,1546425696][/doublepost]
but I'm going to turn off xp at 111.

Ok, just noticed this... just go buy your gear of your local auction house for a 111. 225 is ok, 233 is best.

if your AH doesn't have any, skinning and leatherworking can make it all SO EASY. Rares only drop ilvl 217 at 111.

here ya go, one of mine: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/uldum/Runeglaive

Adjust your type (peerless, harmonious, etc...) to your preference.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm not going to be doing Mythic Antorus runs so I completely understand I'm not going to be a top tier twink.
You not losing as much PvE wise by not doing Mythic Antorus you will still solo the same things just at a bit slower rate on newer content and still smash through older content. Top tier twinking mainly shines in PvP edging out over other twinks and being a bit faster on IE runs while handling newer content easier. But like i said bfa geared twinks are still plenty strong with sick secondary stat scaling. I have a couple geared this way, 0 complaints here.

I like 111 had a hunter that level once but liked to dabble in instance pvp so opted to take him to 119 for better experience in that regard. And as stated by Warglaive gearing up a LW through leatherworking is super easy and the 233 actually procs pretty regularly if you don't want to buy it on AH. And for your PvE purposes, 111 is still awesome and capable of same things a 110 twink can minus the scaling not being as good far as your secondary by a small margin. Frankly, when I had my 111 I used to wish he stayed 110, but that's just my opinion. But still a nice spot for twinking if you want to just do PvE Content.

Last edited:
111 gear can be the crafted blues but i havent seen those items proc a socket or 3rd stat. maybe i havent crafted enough of them but ive found the loss of main stat/stam on the 217’s is fine if you can farm dungeon drops for socket items. also quests items can proc blue or epic upgrades but elite rares cant. socket and 3rd stats yes but don’t they dont upgrade. that being said theres a quest chain that rewards a nice weapon but im at a loss right now and cant remember. the quests has something abiut fishing in the title.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/dethecus/Tazerface
as an example of farmed gear with slots being able to stack more secondarys heres my work in progress. even without leggo boots yet i have a bit more mastery than what you can achieve with the crafted gear. more mastery is harder hitting eyebeams and faster movement speed. not to take away from the first responders toon who went mastery/vers. his more than likely hits harder than mine. doesn’t show leech which is 29% i think.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.

I hit 111 and picked up a few 233 pieces of armor and a weapon off the auction house. The weapon was around 700 gold. Tough to pass that up. I started leveling up my old leatherworker. It sounds fun to make my own gear. Using the guide stickied above I've figured out the ilvl 300 azerite pieces i want to target so I feel like im on the right track.

For a DH, the Legion Legendary helm seems like the best thing to get. What is the best/easiest way for get the 1000 wakening essence needed to buy it? My DH doesnt even have Legion World quests unlocked yet LOL.

Also, Endless Tincture of Renewed Combat is supposed to heal you for 10K when even you kill a mob that yields xp. What if you have XP turned off?

Sockets are the only reason to go 111. Stack them with +40 mastery gems (there's a point where vers overtakes it for dps, but that's down the road).

Run AH scans for 111 gear with speed and sockets on it. The BfA greens won't be able to put 40 mastery gems in them but the 11 mastery gems are still solid.

Here's my 111: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/aerie-peak/Brailehunter

He's got 80% mastery even though profile shows less. Alch trinkets are nice, too. Removes the need for azerite traits granting heals. But I saw you mention all you cared about was running old content quickly so you're good with 111 and some speed gear. My speed set gets me 160% unbuffed run speed. Once the stacks from legendary hit he really flies!

edit: just saw your question, ignore xp off, the trinket will still work.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=152634/endless-tincture-of-renewed-combat is the most op BfA item in the game, IMO. Yes, definitely use it.

As for leatherworking, you don't have to level anyone else... you can train BfA LW and make it all right away. Even on that twink if you want. Horde have a great spot to farm skinning west of their main city, a bunch of gorrillas. I don't know allly but there's wolves everywhere in stormsong. You'll need scales for the fist weapons, so something reptile-ey just for those. And don't make the caster fist weapon with your leather mats by accident... like I did. ;)

Alliance good spot to get leathers and scales is near Quilboar Matriarch rare in Drustvar. Lot of lizards and quillboars in one area that's not overly camped anymore. T.Sound has a abundance of beasts in general to leatherwork if you want to roam a bit or the other spot is getting quested or camped heavily.

So what is the difference between 110 and 111 scaling wise? I watched a few videos that people have put out 110/111 seem pretty much the same. Maybe just a little longer ttk? What other content could be more challenging?

Users who are viewing this thread