EU+US MW Burst: +9 SP vs. +3 Weapon Damage?

Slasher

Veteran
Saw something pertaining to MW Monks that sparked my curiosity:

The comment advocated using a Staff with high Weapon Damage (as opposed to a MH + OH) to maximize burst...

Would it be viable to consider enchanting a MW Staff (Foamspittle, for instance) with the +3 Weapon Damage enchant and +3 Weapon Damage Weighted Stone, instead of the +9 Spell Power enchant, to maximize burst? This would mimic how, say, a Feral Druid gears.

Or would the +9 Spell Damage enchant be more impactful to damage output?

Thoughts?

The comment advocated using a Staff with high Weapon Damage (as opposed to a MH + OH) to maximize burst...

Would it be viable to consider enchanting a MW Staff (Foamspittle, for instance) with the +3 Weapon Damage enchant and +3 Damage Weighted Stone, instead of the +9 Spell Power enchant, to maximize burst damage? This would mimic how, say, a Feral Druid gears.

Thoughts?

iirc, back in wrath or cata, they stopped letting enchants affect output for specs they werent meant for. IE str is what improves a Ret pallies spell damage, not spell damage enchants.

Without actually testing it, Im still fairly certain you'd get more damage (both on tool tip and in practice) from spell power than weapon damage.

iirc, back in wrath or cata, they stopped letting enchants affect output for specs they werent meant for. IE str is what improves a Ret pallies spell damage, not spell damage enchants.

Without actually testing it, Im still fairly certain you'd get more damage (both on tool tip and in practice) from spell power than weapon damage.

Interesting, thanks.

Does this only apply to enchants? So using a staff would yield bigger crits (because it has higher weapon damage than a MH), but enchanting the weapon damage wouldn’t have any effect?

Interesting, thanks.

Does this only apply to enchants? So using a staff would yield bigger crits (because it has higher weapon damage than a MH), but enchanting the weapon damage wouldn’t have any effect?
I dont know monks very well, but I dont recall it affect my resto druids melee numbers. If it does, its a matter of a point or two. Not really worth sweating.

I'm pretty sure staves = more damage. Enchant should stay +9 sp.

Worth testing.

For resto Druid in heirlooms (at 20 out of Bg)

+9 SP:
77 no form melee
30 cat form melee
54 cat shred
87 satyr proc

+dmg:
79-81 no form melee
36-37 cat form melee
70-89 satyr
51 cat form shred

No enchant:
74 melee
28 cat melee
85 satyr
51 shred

for mw monk in heirlooms 20 (out of bg)

+9 sp:
Melee 61-62
Rsk 107
Jade lightning tick 37
satyr 58-62

+dmg:
Melee 63-65
Rsk 99 physical
Jade tick 34
satyr 61

You can’t put it on 1h for pally (they can’t use staffs, and there’s no int non staff 2h that I know of, unless it’s from a quest, then let me know and maybe I’ll check it)

in conclusion: the only thing +dmg will increase as a healer is your auto attack damage. Your physical damage spells only scale with intellect

+9 SP:
77 no form melee
30 cat form melee
54 cat shred
87 satyr proc

+dmg:
79-81 no form melee
36-37 cat form melee
70-89 satyr
51 cat form shred

No enchant:
74 melee
28 cat melee
85 satyr
51 shred

+9 sp:
Melee 61-62
Rsk 107
Jade lightning tick 37
satyr 58-62

+dmg:
Melee 63-65
Rsk 99 physical
Jade tick 34
satyr 61

You can’t put it on 1h for pally (they can’t use staffs, and there’s no int non staff 2h that I know of, unless it’s from a quest, then let me know and maybe I’ll check it)

in conclusion: the only thing +dmg will increase as a healer is your auto attack damage. Your physical damage spells only scale with intellect
thats the good shit right there

+9 SP:
77 no form melee
30 cat form melee
54 cat shred
87 satyr proc

+dmg:
79-81 no form melee
36-37 cat form melee
70-89 satyr
51 cat form shred

No enchant:
74 melee
28 cat melee
85 satyr
51 shred

+9 sp:
Melee 61-62
Rsk 107
Jade lightning tick 37
satyr 58-62

+dmg:
Melee 63-65
Rsk 99 physical
Jade tick 34
satyr 61

Awesome, thank you!

Druid w 1h and oh heirloom no enchant:
Cat melee 27
51 shred
70+ satyr
50-52 non form melee 2.6 speed (Staff is 3.6)

49-50 bear form melee 2.3

The 1h’s attack speed does not effect cat/bear form melee speed At all

Monk loom Staff no enchant:
Melee 57-58
Satyr 58-68
Rsk 99
Lightning 34 tick

monk1h heirloom no enchant:
39 melee
53-69 satyr
99 rsk
Lightning 34 tick

As a RDruid, you probably want a staff if you’re like me and have /startattack in all spells macro, since you’ll get one big non form melee off while dotting before swapping to cat form. You can see that druids melee harder than monks due to wierd class coding. So you’ll want that one big hit likely, unless you can get your attack speed under 1.9 as 1h to get 2 melees in while dotting in melee range before cat form

(you need a swing timer addon to min max this)

As a monk it will probably depend on your haste level and if you are using ele force or not. A staff will gain “more” attack speed reduction from haste than 1h (a higher number but the same % reduction)

you’ll want to math out fight time and auto attack swing amount and value over that time I guess as a monk.

edit; I forgot that 1h and oh give more stats with vet enchant
[doublepost=1591212498,1591211870][/doublepost]edit; I forgot that 1h and oh give more stats with vet enchant. This is likely the dealbreaker for monk.

however you have to consider the huge melees with staff as vers stacking geared vet Druid. I have hit people for 200 + melees. It’s very silly when you crit melee some clothie through a wall or a pillar to kB them. Starsurgex2 with a 200 crit melee in between is op

this huge melee can be done in travel form kiting pillar/objects too

Last edited:

Would it be viable to consider enchanting a MW Staff (Foamspittle, for instance) with the +3 Weapon Damage enchant and +3 Weapon Damage Weighted Stone, instead of the +9 Spell Power enchant, to maximize burst? This would mimic how, say, a Feral Druid gears.

Thoughts?
roll Panda

Tried using a sharping stone on my holy pal for melee damage, it makes zero difference.
I think it’s like someone said above (Ohtii?) but stats not designed for that class make no difference.

In the same sense swapping to a spell power weapon to heal while in ret spec, feral, WW etc will actually hurt your heals as you will be loosing your main stat. It’s the same logic just in reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread