6. Engineering List

7. Macros

8. Armory Links

9. Tips

Things to add:

Tips for DPS

1. Introduction

This guide has been last updated for Patch 4.3 on 01/1/2012

Everything you find here will be a complete guide for 39 Paladins but before we start I need to give some information for those who are new to twinking. Here is the extra information needed for those who might be new to twinking or just extra info in general about the guide:

Any BoA Gear cannot be enchanted with enchantments that state: “Requires a level 35 or higher item.â€

This guide does include grandfathered gear!

(!) Any gear with this next to it means it is rare and/or may be hard for players to obtain.

(?) Any gear with this next to it means it is grandfathered and is no longer available to players.

If for what ever reasons you see a (!?) combined, I suggest you do not attempt to get this item, it is almost considered “impossible†to get as of patch 4.0.3.

In the guide you will see feet enchantments such as: [Enchant Boots - Boar's Speed]. This grants a 9 stamina and minor speed increase (8%). If you are playing as a Ret paladin, DO NOT use this enchantment. [Pursuit of Justice] and this enchantment WILL NOT stack.

This guide will be updated as much as possible and I will respond as quickly as possible to replies to this guide. I appreciate those who are taking an interest to the 39 Bracket and especially Paladins. I know you will find your experience with a 39 Twink Paladin most enjoyable! Hopefully this guide will make things easier for new players and those who are coming back from Pre-Shattering! Enjoy the guide and please reply because I love replies. =D

2. Race

There are five options for paladins when choosing what race to play. For the horde you have two options you must play a Blood Elf or a Tauren. For the alliance you have three options, you must play a Human, Draenei, or a Dwarf.

Blood Elf

Arcane Torrent This ability that the Blood Elves have can be useful in many ways. It can silence your enemies or give you that extra mana to get another spell in. This ability is by far very impressive.

Tauren

War Stomp This ability that the Taurens have is an excellent ability and is very useful. An extra stun can be game breaking as Taurens, it gives you enough time for that extra heal, that extra hit to kill your enemy, or a quick get away. In any case, this ability is very useful.

Human

Every Man for Himself This ability is by far one of the alliances most well known and most powerful ability yet to come to PvP. It allows to you to free up a trinket space for a second trinket. This ability is tremendously good for any Paladin to use.

Draenei

Gift of the Naaru This ability is quite impressive by itself. A simple extra heal that rejuvenates any friendly target including you; it’s great for survivability.

Heroic Presence This ability will give every friendly target within 30 yards of you 1% hit rating to both spells and melee attacks. This is an easy way to get soft-capped.

Dwarf

Stoneform This ability has potential. It’s nice to have when you have to get rid of a DoT for a quick bandage and the extra 10% armor does have it moments.

When it comes down to it, choosing your race is a personal preference.

3. Professions

There are 4 SUGGESTED options for your professions.

A. Engineering – In the 39 Bracket, it is arguably mandatory to have Engineering. Engineering offers some of the most powerful items in the 39 Bracket such as: [Arcane Bomb] [Fel Iron Bomb] [Gnomish Alarm-o-Bot] [Green Lens] and tons of others! These fun toys make PvP all the more fun!

B. Herbalism – Grants you Lifeblood at skill level 300. This gives you 70 Haste (11.74% Haste increase) and heals for 90-270 instantly (this heal can crit). For some people, they feel the Haste is mandatory. This profession is arguably needed at the 39 bracket.

C. Mining – Toughness For some people, they feel the extra 10 Stamina is quite helpful. For anyone who needs/lacks the extra survival from Mining, then this is the profession for. For most people in the 39 Bracket, this is mandatory for FCing.

D. Skinning - Master of Anatomy this gives you about 1.44% extra crit. For DPS, skinning has always been the most common profession to take. But the extra crit is up to you to decide if you need. It’s not bad but it doesn’t feel the purpose for some paladins.

For DPS, You have two choices. Skinning/Engineering or Skinning/Mining(suggested). The only reason why I would get Engineering over Skinning is if you plan on using the Bombs.

For Healing, You have three choices. Mining/Herb(suggested), Mining/Engineering or Engineering/Herb. Personally I find myself healing just find without Green Lens of Healing but if you feel that you rather use it then go ahead and pick one of the other two. I would get Engineering/Herb because herb(lifeblood) works really well with Divine Favor.

For Flag Carrying, there's two choices. Mining/Engineering(suggested) or Mining/Herb. Even if you don't use the bombs from engineering(which is seriously suggest you to do) there's a lot of things you can make from engineering that will make FCing easier. Then you have Mining which gives the extra Survival.

4. Talents

Protection:

Talent Calculator This build is for DPS Prot paladins who want that extra survival from Prot but still do great damage as a DPS.

Talent Calculator This build is for Paladins who wish to FC. Great survival and less focus on doing “More damageâ€.

Holy:

Talent Calculator This build is for Paladins who focus on healing. Best spec for someone who is just focusing on healing in PvP. It also offers great damage potential from Exorcism and Holy Shock.

Talent Calculator This build is great for Paladins who are focusing on Flag Carrying in holy. It’s perfect for focusing on just keeping yourself alive and also makes it easier on your other healers by giving yourself a few good heals.

Retribution –

Talent Calculator This build is a simple build for just doing good damage and kicking some butt in PvP. Fun and enjoyable =D

5. Gear

Healing Gear

Head

Best in Slot: [Mystical Coif of Elements] ≥ [Green Lens of Healing]

Other: [Brigade Circlet of the Eagle] (!)

Neck

Best in Slot: [Pulsating Crystalline Shard] (?)

Other: [Necklace of Calisea] (!) ≥ [Triune Amulet]

Shoulders

Best in Slot: [Pristine Lightforge Spaulders] ≥ [Stalwart Spaulders of the Eagle] (!)

Other: [Revelosh's Spaulders of the Eagle] (!)

Back

Best in Slot: [Mantle of Lady Falther'ess] (?)

Other: [Ancient Bloodmoon Cloak] ≥ [Mantle of Orgimmar] ≥ [Battle Healer's Cloak]

Enchants: [Enchant Cloak - Major Armor] > [Enchant Cloak - Superior Defense]

Chest

Best in Slot: [Green Whelp Armor] ≥ [Mystical Vest of Elements]

Other: [Turtle Scale Breastplate]

Enchants: [Enchant Chest - Exceptional Stats] [Enchant Chest - Greater Stats]

Bracers

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Armguards of the Eagle] (!)

Other: [Fiona's Armbands]

Enchants: [Enchant Bracer - Fortitude] [Enchant Bracer - Major Intellect]

Hands

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Gloves of the Eagle] (!) = [Cragfists of the Eagle] (!)

Other: [Turtle Scale Gloves]

Enchants: [Enchant Gloves - Precise Strikes] ≥ [Enchant Gloves - Major Spellpower]

Waist

Best in Slot: [Belt of the Gentle Lady]

Other: [Pao'ka's Belt]

Leggings

Best in Slot: [Leggings of the Thousand Needles]

Other: [Agamaggan-Blessed Greaves]

Enchants: [Thick Armor Kit]

Feet

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Boots of the Eagle] (!)

Other: [Merciful Greaves]

Enchants: [Enchant Boots - Boar's Speed] > [Enchant Boots - Fortitude] > [Enchant Boots - Surefooted]

Ring

Best in Slot 1: [Underworld Band] (!)

Best in Slot 2: [Underworld Band] (!)

Other: [Tumultuous Ring of the Elder](!) = [Tumultuous Ring of the Sorcerer] (!)

Trinket

Best in Slot 1: [Arena Grand Master] (!)

Best in Slot 2: [Inherited Insignia of the Horde]

Other: [Insignia of the Horde] > [Discerning Eye of the Beast] > [Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector]

Weapon 1-H

Best in Slot: [Devout Aurastone Hammer] ≥ [The Blessed Hammer of Grace]

Other: [Hand of Righteousness]

Enchants: [Enchant Weapon - Mighty Intellect] [Enchant Weapon - Major Intellect]

Shield

Best in Slot: [The Green Tower] (!)

Other: [Warpwood Shield]

Enchants: [Enchant Shield - Major Stamina]

DPS Gear

Head

Best in Slot: [Helm of Exile] (?) ≥ [Polished Helm of Valor]

Other: [Booty Bay Helm] = [Poisoner's Helm]

Neck

Best in Slot: [Medal of Courage] (?)

Other: [Chain of Lethon] ≥ [Gidwin's Medallion]

Shoulders

Best in Slot: [Polished Spaulders of Valor] ≥ [Stalwart Spaulders of the Bear] (!)

Other: [Herod's Shoulder]

Back

Best in Slot: [Cape of Orgimmar]

Other: [Worn Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape]

Enchants: [Enchant Cloak - Greater Agility] [Enchant Cloak - Stealth]

Chest

Best in Slot: [Polished Breastplate of Valor]

Other: [Stained Shadowcraft Tunic] ≥ [Blood-Tinged Armor] (?)

Enchants: [Enchant Chest - Exceptional Stats] [Enchant Chest - Greater Stats]

Bracers

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Armguards of Attack Power] (!)

Other: [Noxxion's Shackles]

Enchants: [Enchant Bracer - Fortitude] ≥ [Enchant Bracer - Brawn]

Hands

Best in Slot: [Cragfists of the Bear] (!)

Other: [Grasps of the Forsaken]

Enchants: [Enchant Gloves - Precise Strikes] = [Enchant Gloves - Major Strength]

Waist

Best in Slot: [Defiler's Mail Girdle] ≥ [Ogron's Sash] (!) ≥ [Stonefist Girdle] (?)

Other: [Scarlet Belt]

Leggings

Best in Slot: [Elemental Rockridge Leggings] ≥ [Scarlet Leggings]

Other: [Legguards of the Vault] (!)

Feet

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Boots of the Bear] (!)

Other: [Boots of the Noble Path]

Enchants: [Enchant Boots - Boar's Speed] [Enchant Boots - Fortitude] [Enchant Boots - Surefooted]

Ring

Best in Slot 1: [Aquamarine Signet of the Bear]

Best in Slot 2: [Band of Vigor] ≥ [Tumultuous Ring of the Solider] (!)

Other: [Legionnaire's Band] ≥ [Truesilver Commander's Ring]

Trinket

Other: [Tidal Charm] > (?) [Emissary's Watch] [Heart of Noxxion] [Insignia of the Horde] [Gnomish Death Ray] {See Engineering List for other trinkets}

Weapon 2-H

Best in Slot: [The Jackhammer] (!)

Other: [Mograine's Might] ≥ [Bloodied Arcanite Reaper] > [Fras Siabi's Cigar Cutter]

Enchants: [Enchant 2H Weapon - Savagery] > [Enchant Weapon - Crusader]

Weapon 1-H

Best in Slot: [Mallet of Zul'Farrak] (?)

Other: [Discipline Rod]

Enchants: [Enchant Weapon - Crusader] [Enchant Weapon - Mongoose] [Enchant Weapon - Potency]

Shield

Best in Slot: [Pit Fighter's Shield] (?)

Other: [Battered Viking Shield] > [The Green Tower] (!)

Flag Carrying Gear

Head

Best in Slot: [Green Lens of Stamina] (!?)

Other: [Helm of Exile] (?) ≥ [Enduring Cap] (!) ≥ [Polished Helm of Valor] ≥ [Burnished Helm of Might]

Neck

Best in Slot: [Dragon's Blood Necklace] (?)

Other: [Gazlowe's Charm] (!) > [Tumultuous Necklace of Stamina](!)

Shoulders

Best in Slot: [Stalwart Spaulders of Stamina] (!)

Other: [Revelosh's Spaulders of Stamina] (!) > [Strengthened Stockade Pauldrons]

Back

Best in Slot: [Mantle of Lady Falther'ess] (?)

Other: [Ripped Sandstorm Cloak] > [Wing of the Whelpling] (!)

Enchants: [Enchant Cloak - Major Armor]

Chest

Best in Slot: [Green Whelp Armor]

Other: [Big Voodoo Robe] ≥ [Burnished Breatplate of Might]

Enchants: [Enchant Chest - Exceptional Health] [Enchant Chest - Major Health]

Bracers

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Armguards of Stamina] (!)

Other: [Revelosh's Armguards of the Eagle] (!)

Enchants: [Enchant Bracer - Fortitude]

Hands

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Gloves of the Eagle] (!)

Other: [Revelosh's Gloves of the Monkey] (!)

Enchants: [Enchant Gloves - Major Spellpower] ≥ [Enchant Gloves - Precise Strikes]

Waist

Best in Slot: [Ogron's Sash] (!)

Other: [Belt of the Gentle Lady]

Leggings

Best in Slot: [Necromancer Leggings] (!)

Other: [Leggings of the Thousand Needles] ≥ [Legguards of the Vault]

Feet

Best in Slot: [Revelosh's Boots of Stamina] (!)

Other: [Ancient Greaves of Stamina] (!) = [Dusty Mail Boots]

Enchants: [Enchant Boots - Boar's Speed] ≥ [Enchant Boots - Fortitude]

Ring

Best in Slot 1: [Tumultuous Ring of Stamina] (!)

Best in Slot 2: [Deadman's Hand] (!)

Other: [Tumultuous Ring of Stamina] (!) > [Aquamarine Signet of Stamina]

Trinket

Other: [Heart of Noxxion] ≥ [Insignia of the Horde] > [Underlord's Mandible]

Weapon 1-H

Best in Slot: [Devout Aurastone Hammer]

Other: [Power of the Faerie Dragon]

Enchants: [Enchant Weapon - Mighty Intellect] [Enchant Weapon - Major Intellect]

Shield

Best in Slot: [The Green Tower] (!)

Other: [Warpwood Shield]

6. Engineering List

I would suggest you to have every item on here available to you if you’re going to be an engineer. Most of these items are situational, but valuable as well!

This is the Best in Slot items available if you have engineering at 300:

[Fel Iron Bomb]

[Arcane Bomb]

[Major Recombobulator]

[Gnomish Alarm-o-Bot]

[Green Lens]

[Goblin Dragon Gun]

[Gnomish Death Ray]

[Gnomish Mind Control Cap]

[The Big One]

[Gnomish Battle Chicken]

[Parachute Cloak]

[Gnomish Rocket Boots]

[Goblin Rocket Boots]

[Goblin Rocket Helmet]

[Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector]

[The Mortar: Reloaded]

[Mechanical Dragonling]

[Gnomish Cloaking Device]

[Goblin Land Mine]

[Gnomish Shrink Ray]

7. Macros

Here's a list of the current Macro's I use. I usually find a new macro to use about once a week so keep looking at this guide for new macros that I may post
<

#showtooltip

/cast Divine Favor

/cast Lifeblood

#showtooltip Exorcism

/startattack

/cast Exorcism

#showtooltip Hammer of Justice

/startattack

/cast Hammer of Justice

#showtooltip Hand of Protection

/cast Hand of Protection

/use Embersilk Bandage

8. Armory Links

Scér @ Doomhammer

Ooch @ Uldaman

Shøøk @ Doomhammer

Accidentqt @ Doomhammer

9. Tips

A. Healing

As a Paladin Healer, you will notice very quickly that your not able to heal multiple people very fast(which may easily cause your teammates to die). For this specific reason alone, Paladin Healers are better suited on D, Not O(but not impossible to play on O).

As a Holy Paladin, you have a few Heals:

1. Holy Shock - An instant cast heal that heals for a small amount and grants one Holy Charge

2. Word of Glory - An instant cast heal that heals for small-medium amount depending on your Holy Charges

3. Flash of Light - A fast strong burst of heals at the cost of a lot of mana

4. Holy Light- A slow weak heal that costs hardly any mana

Now the hardest thing about playing a Holy paladin is what spells do I use and which ones do I not use. I will give a clear understanding for any holy paladin to understand which heal cast to use and which one not to use.

1. Holy Shock - Using holy shock is your primary heal and your most valuable heal. There are two primary uses for Holy Shock:

A. Keeping your holy charges at three at all times. Unless you are mounted-up or you just used Word of Glory, then there should be absolutely NO REASON to have under 3 Holy Charges; Use Holy Shock at all times to keep 3 Holy Charges up. In case of an emergency, your going to want a Word of Glory to keep someone alive fast.

B. Using it to heal. Holy Shock doesn't cost a lot of mana, so don't be afraid to heal with it when it's not on CD. This is your Primary Heal, use it as much as possible.

2. Word of Glory - This is your best heal, so use it wisely. The only time you should ever use Word of Glory is when it's at 3 Charges and someone is in need of a serious heal fast. This will heal for a lot(not as much as Flash of Light) but it heals for a lot considering it's an instant cast and costs no mana to use.

3. Flash of Light - This is your second primary heal and it's just as valuable as any other heal. At the cost of a lot of mana, this heal will heal someone quickly and for a lot. I Urge every Holy Paladin to use this heal when ever someone is taking heavy damage. Do not worry about how much mana you use, in almost any case you will either be dead, or your team will be dead before your OOM; DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SAVING MANA. If you honestly need mana, keep a mana potion with you and use it(but you will not need it for most cases).

4. Holy Light - This healing spell is very tricky and I've seen lots of Holy Paladins use this incorrectly. I don't fully understand why people do this, but in PvP conserving mana is the last thing you need to worry about. Therefore, DO NOT SPAM HOLY LIGHT. The ONLY time any Holy paladin should be casting Holy Light is when Infusion of Light procs. Infusion of Light reduces the cast time of your Holy Light by 1.50 seconds. Holy Light costs hardly any mana and when it's casting as fast as Flash of Light then you should use it. The reason why I urge paladins not to cast/spam Holy Light except when Infusion of Light procs is because you cannot predict how much damage someone will put forth in a BG. It's better to cast Flash of Light and over-heal than to cast Holy Light, when you don't get a Infusion of Light Proc, and under-heal them(now you have a dead teammate).

Now that you know what each heal does, I'm going to go into more depth about Paladin spells and how they are used when your healing.

Judgement / Seal of Insight / Melee - For those who don't know, the secret to not OOMing as a holy paladin at 39 is Using Seal of Insight, then casting Judgement as much as possible and using melee swings. For those who don't know, Seal of Insight has a proc-chance to heal you AND restore 4% of your mana. When you use your judgement with seal of insight on, it restores 15% of your total mana. THIS IS THE SECRET TO NEVER RUNNING OUT OF MANA. All you need to do is Melee someone, spam judgement, and you'll hardly ever find yourself running out of mana. If you have the opportunity to do either of those two things without moving out of a specific position/location(unless your forced to), then do it.

Crusader Strike - A lot of paladins don't understand how valuable this spell is and they might not even put it on their spell bars. Crusader strike costs not a lot of mana, doesn't do a lot of damage BUT it gives you a Holy Charge. For those who don't know, Word of Glory is one of your strongest spells that costs NO MANA and you only have Holy Shock that gives you holy charges aside from Crusader Strike. I encourage all holy paladins to use Crusader Strike for Holy Charges under the same circumstances as the Judgement/Melee situation as I have stated above.

Laying of Hands - I decided not to put this under the list of Healing spells mainly because I don't think this should be used as part of your List of spells for healing when someone is taking damage. Yes, the spell heals but you may only get to use this once or twice in a single Battleground. If you decide you use Laying of Hands, then they must only be used in these situations:

A. You may only use Laying of Hands on yourself OR the Flag Carrier.

B. You may NOT use Laying of Hands on DPS or if YOU are in Midfield(unless your with your Flag Carrier and he actually has the flag)

i. The reason behind not using Laying of Hands on DPS is because there will be plenty of DPS, there are only few healers and 1 Flag Carrier. This means if you die, your entire group may die; if your Flag Carrier dies then your entire team might lose the game. If you absolutely need to use a LoH to keep someone alive, then it must be only yourself or the Flag Carrier.

Hand of Protection - I encourage Holy Paladins to use this mainly on yourself(you may use this on other casters/healers). Regardless of the cooldown, it gives temporary immunity to melee classes and allows you to freely heal yourself(unless you are silenced with a spell); use this at any given moment on yourself if needed(use it in emergencies for other casters/healers)

Exorcism - I will briefly talk about this here, but I will mention this more. Use this as much as possible when your teammates are not taking damage, it's costs the least out of all your abilities(expect for the ones that cost no mana). It does decent damage so there should be no reason not to use it unless your forced to heal or stay with your group. Use this when Denounce Procs(allows your Exorcism to be an instant cast and costs no mana).

Hammer of Justice/Lifeblood/Divine Favor - This is the most deadly combo that Holy Paladins have. With the Judgement Haste, your haste will be over 40% with lifeblood and Divine Favor. When you use these two abilities, you may use Hammer of Justice. At this time, I suggest you to spam Exorcism until the Hammer of Justice goes away. This will allow you to get plenty of hits in and do serious burst damage without the enemy being able to do anything(Unless they dispel the Hammer of Justice ability)

This concludes the Spells used with a Holy Paladin. Now I am going to talk about Positioning when you are on D and O(but primarily on D since this is where you will be most of the time)

Positions on D - There are 4 Primary Positions when Playing on D and I will talk about each one of them; including which ones you will be located at.

WoWScrnShot_040811_185030-2.jpg

WoWScrnShot_040811_184655.jpg

WoWScrnShot_040811_200716.jpg

Position One - There are two spots for Position One and they are for the DPS. Position One/Two are Called The Choke. If you are on D and someone wants you to go to The Choke This is what they are refering too. Position One is for DPS Only. The first one that is closes to the tunnel(Position One A) is for melee DPS. I suggest you not to stand in front of the LoS of Tunnel but out of it to avoid getting hit. The one furthest from the tunnel is for range DPS(Position One B). The reason I suggest range to go there is because for one: Charges. If a warrior tries to charge you, he'll fall straight down and have to climb his way back up to get you. The 2nd reason is because it's also outside of LoS of the Enemy and gives you plenty of attack time for when they come out of the tunnel. On a side note: I seriously suggest there to be at least 1 Shaman(A/
<
OR Hunter(B/Pet on A) to be in Position One(or both a hunter and a shaman), their Magma Totem/Flare is what keeps Stealthers from sneaking up on your D and will SAVE your entire team by doing so. Also, if you are in Position One A, Lean to the right of the tunnel(closest to the person in Position Two) This way the person in Position Three can heal you. I can't stress enough on this last part when playing on Position One. DO NOT GO INTO TUNNEL. You cannot predict who is there and how fast you will die or how long you will be pinned there. You LoS everyone in Positions One-Three and your allowing your Defense fail by doing so. DO NOT GO INTO TUNNEL. Another thing you should know is when the enemy gets past you and tries to rush straight to the FC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going up to stop them, however don't freak out because people are getting past you. Stay on target and make sure they die, if you leave them alone to get the people passing you then the enemy team might heal themselves/get-healed. Using CC and other Disorientation Effects can be effective to slow the other DPS down. The people in Position Two/Three will keep the Flag Carrier alive, stay on target and make sure they die. Lastly, Protect the person in Position Two. That person keeps YOU alive, so if they are getting attacked you must get that enemy down FAST.

Position Two - This is the position for your Primary Healer and people may refer this to The Choke If someone asks you to go down to The Choke then this is the Position they are referring to. Your Primary/Best Healer should always be in Position Two Because he is healing the people in Position One/Two/Three which will be incredibly hard to do but not impossible. You are not in the LoS of the person in Position Four, but if he/she is forced to Kite the enemies along the outside of roof, then you may throw him/her a heal. If you are put on this specific Position, then don't be afraid to use Exorcism when you are not forced to heal teammates; you are doing your entire team a favor by helping the DPS kill the other team.

Position Three - This is your Second Primary Healer's Position. This healer will be healing the people in Position Two/Three/Four and Possibly Position One A if they are leaning closer to the person in Position Two. This healer will have it a little bit easier, all he/she does is mainly make sure the FC stays alive, and the primary healer doesn't die from taking too much damage. Relatively easy healing, but in some cases it can be hard. Another roll this Position plays is when/if someone from Position One/Two Dies. If Someone from Position One/Two dies and your Defense manages to survive the Enemie's attack, than it is up to the Person in Position Three to escort and ensure that they make it back into their position. I say this because there has been situations where someone has died in Position One/Two and they were running back up to their Positions from GY but there was still people in the Tunnel and they continued to Kill them. If anyone from Position One/Two dies, it is up to the Person in Position Three to jump down into the Horde Flag Room and escort them back into the Choke/Roof. DO NOT FIGHT INSIDE THE TUNNEL. Heal/CC/Stun/Etc your way through out of tunnel and into your positions, if the Enemy follows you out of the tunnel, your Defense team will protect you. Lastly, the way you are position will stop any warriors from being able to charge up to you, if they attempt to do this they will slide down and you will stay unharmed from their charges.

Position Four - If it wasn't obvious, this is the Position for your Flag Carrier(FC). The way the Flag Carrier is positioned, he is NOT out of the LoS of the person in Position Three so the Flag Carrier can still get heals HOWEVER he is not in Line of Sight of any Enemies that are coming out of the tunnel until they manage to get past Position One/Two(which shouldn't happen). This means the Enemy will be forced to go all the way up to the roof just to get near the Flag Carrier, but by the team this happens your DPS should already killing them/or their already dead. DO NOT go out of the LoS of the person in Position Three; I see this happen a lot and it forces everyone to leave their positions and could easily kill the group because of this. Stay Within the LoS of the person in Position Three and you will be fine. Kiting along the top without going down to where the people in Position One/Two are is completely fine as long as you don't do it for to long.

I have coordinated every person in WSG into these positions that I've played in and these positions NEVER fail unless someones steps out of position for too long. There will be cases for when you are forced to moved but in most common cases this kind of Defense never fails and holds up to 4-5 People(Meaning you can have up to 4-5 teammates in this Kind of Defense). As long as everyone stays in each position, the Defense won't fail easily.

Offense - Healing in Offense is a lot more simple. Stay within your group, keep everyone alive, and go where they go. As long as you stay alive, your group stays alive, and your group stays together then your group won't die easily. There isn't some secret strategy for an Offense team unless it's picking specific classes to go on the Offense team. As long as you are communicating with your team, stay together, keep everyone alive, make sure the dps are focusing one target at a time(meaning your not spreading the DPS everywhere) then your group won't die easily. If your in a 6 man Offense group, you must not fail the first wave of attack against the EFC's Group. I say this because your D-team only has 4 people and it's very possible that your enemy team has 5-6 people and may kill them faster than you. If this is true, then you must focus fire each enemy one at a time and do it fast/efficiently. If your in a 5 Man Offense, there's a LOT LESS stress on your D and they will most likely not fail until your FC gets the flag debuff. But this also means your O-Team is weaker as well. It'll be a lot easier for your team to kill the EFC once he gets the Flag Debuff, but until then do the same strategy: Stay together, focus fire 1 target at time, keep everyone alive, and communicate effectively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. Flag Carrying

As a Flag Carrier in general, it can be difficult fulfilling this role since it requires more than just being well-geared but that's also an important aspect of being a Flag Carrier.

Basic Requirements:

1. Well Geared

2. Experienced in the bracket

3. Communication

4. Terrian Knowledge

5. Class/Spec Preperation

6. Stick Together!

Being the Flag Carrier for a team is one of the most important positions in WSG. One of the most important requirements to be a flag carrier is being well geared. Just like in PvE, it can be easy for anyone to DPS as well as heal. If you can heal, then spam 1 button and heal. If you have a damaging spell, spam it. But there is no spam key to take less damage, avoiding death, and surviving as long as possible; which is why Flag Carrying is not ment for everyone. If you are not intensly geared for Flag Carrying, then you will find yourself dying way too fast and struggling in most aspects of FCing. However, this is also the easist part of Flag Carrying. For a lot of people, it's easy to spend months-on-end gearing a specific character. So just because you are top-notched geared for flag carrying does not mean you qualify to be a FC. Just remember that this is the first step to being a good FC. If you are very well geared, then you're already on your way to being the next FC for WSG.

The second requirement is of course, experience in the bracket you play in. I say this because I know from personal experience that FCing in one bracket is completely different from another. A lot of players have a "flow of the game" that they go by in a specific bracket. When you try to pull off something that works in a lower/higher bracket and attempt it in a different bracket, it might not always work. A simple example of this would be comparing the 39 bracket to the 19 bracket. a Flag Carrier from the 39 bracket tried to FC in the 19 bracket without any experience playing in the 19 bracket, he/she might find it very difficult/different compared to the 39 bracket(vice versa). There is no magical way to know when you've had enough experience in the bracket for Flag Carrying, but if you feel that you know the "flow of the bracket", then your another step forward to becoming the next Flag Carrier.

The next part is communication, an easy aspect of Flag Carrying and also an aspect of FC'ing that players sometimes forget to use. Communication within your team is key to flag Carrying. Remember, if you die then your team dies(in a sense). Your team cannot succeed unless you succeed. Successful communication with your team is the major key to Flag Carrying. A simple direction from you is game breaking for your other team. Letting your team know where you are going, where your not going, what your going to do, or if your about to die, is all you need to do to successfully communicate to your team. Using ingame Macros or Online-Communications(teamspeak, skype, ventrilo) are good ways to do this. If you can do this, then your already half way there to being a great Flag Carrier.

For any bracket, a good Flag Carrier must know his/her terrian of WSG. Now for those who are already jumping to conclusions that "knowing your terrian" means know where the ground is and where the ground isn't. That isn't what it means. There are two parts to this.

1. Knowing all/any Terrian Jump/glitches

Do not worry, Plenty of Flag Carriers do not use these mainly because not all teammates know how to use these, but there are going to be situations where your team is no where near you and your completely alone against the other team. If you must/can use any Terrian Jumps then Learn them. It's better to know how to use them and not need to use them, then to need to use them and not know how to do it.

2. Knowing where to move depending on where your teammates are and where the enemy team are located.

This can be hard for a lot of Flag Carriers and will even kill you if you do not do this correctly. Depending on how many teammates are with you/near you, and how many are about to attack you will determine what you must do with the flag. In most situations, this will mean where to go across midfield to your base. In other situations, this will mean to kite away from the enemies while at YOUR BASE or to stand/fight the enemy's INC. This is a hard aspect to grasp for any Flag Carrier, it's the common mistake for most Flag Carrier and most people die because they did not wait or they waited too long before acrossing midfield. If you can grasp this aspect of Flag Carriering then you will be a most successful FC.

Class/Spec Preperation is one of the last things you must know before Flag Carrying; this can mean many things. It means knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your group's current D(depending on who's on D). It can also mean knowing what to do/not to do against each class/spec. The best way to do this is have practice playing in the bracket on both D and O. Have experience fighting against each class is the easist way to do this. If you feel that you know each classes weakness and strengths, then your 1 step closer to being a good flag carrier:)

The Final thing you must do to be a great flag carrier, is sticking together! Even though most of you will be playing in PuGs, the 39 bracket is very competitive and because of this, you will hardly ever have to fight agianst 1-2 people. Most of the time in this bracket, you will fight against mobs of 4-6 people at once. The more people you stick with the better, take advantage of your numbers and always move/stand in a group of people. If you can't perform this simple task, then you will find it very difficult to Flag Carry.

This sums up the basic requirements for flag carrying, now lets move onto Specific Tips for Flag Carrying as a Paladin.

Paladin Flag Carrying Requirements:

1. Don't be afraid to heal

2. WoG/LoH

3. HoP

4. Misc

There will be times when the enemy will only focus on one specific person, remember this is a competitive bracket so you might see this a lot. If this happens, don't be afraid to spam Flash of Light on the person taking damage. Even if it's just over healing, it's less mana that your healers have to use. Use it as much as possible responsibly.

As of Patch 4.10, Word of Glory now has a 20 Second cooldown on those who aren't holy spec. This means your Word of Glory is now even more precious to you. If it's possible, key 3 Holy Charges up at all times, and only use it when your forced below 50% of your health. As for Laying of Hands, if you don't have a paladin healer with you, then the only person who you should cast this on is yourself. You may only be able to use this once or twice in a single WSG, so use it wisely.

Hand of Protection is intensly valuable. If you see any of your healers being focused fired on, please use this as quickly as possible. It's game breaking and it might be the only thing that saves your healers. Since your holding the flag, it does nothing for yourself.

For any other spells and abilities, scroll up to the holy spec tips for other uses of spells and abilities.

When to use Stamina Gear vs ToT Gear when Flag Carrying

As a Paladin, you will find yourself needed to Flag Carry quite often. But the biggest question when it comes to Flag Carrying is, which should I use Stamina gear vs ToT gear? For those of you who do not know, ToT gear(time on target) are items that reduce the amount of time that the enemy has on you. Such item are: Dead Man's Hand, a PvP Trinket, and Green Whelp Armor. But other items such as the BoA Healing Mace can also be considered a "ToT" Item but for a different reason which I will go into later on in this page.

First of all, I will start off with each ToT item that is available/good for a 39 Twink Paladin FC.

A. Dead Man's Hand - The Dead Man's Hand is a Epic Ring that drops off of the last boss from Sm Library. This item freezes the enemy when struck in combat for several seconds. Of course the proc chance is smaller at level 39 than at level 29 but regardless, it's still a very valuable ToT Item. This item does not have as much stamina as the Satchel Ring of Stamina but I would always have one equipped no matter what. This is a ToT item that should always be equipped if you have one.

B. PvP Trinket - If you are a Human, you do not need to worry about this item. The PvP Trinket allows you to break freeze from any/all CC/Stuns/Disorientates/etc instantly. It has a 5 Minute Cooldown so make sure you use it wisely. If this item is At/Below 30 Seconds Remaining on it's CD, then you must have it equipped. This item will save your life countless times. However if the remaining Cooldown on this item is greater than 30 seconds remaining, have another trinket in slot to replace it. a 2nd AGM and/or the Noxxion Trinket should be equipped when the PvP Trinket is on CD.

C. Green Whelp Armor - This bad boy has saved my life plenty of times. When struck, it has a 5% chance to put the target to sleep for several seconds. Regardless of the low Proc Chance, this item is very valuable to any Flag Carrier. However, due the fact this item has no stamina it will decrease your health by quite a lot. This all being said, when forced to Kite/Run for long distances/Midfield-Crossing, you should always have this item equipped. But when you are in a position to stand your ground and fight any number of enemies; then you should have a Big Voodoo Robe equipped.

D. BoA Healing Mace - The reason this item is considered a ToT item is not the same reason for the items listed above. As a Paladin you have the ability to heal. There will be lots of situations when your healer(s) are have difficulties healing your team and if your team dies, then you die. So when you feel that your team is struggling to stay alive, equip the BoA healing mace and throw off-heals. They might not be as strong as a normal healer, but you'd be reducing the chance of your team dying easily. That is why this is considered a ToT item. I would have this item equipped if you do not have a healer with you.

This completes the Flag Carrying Tips for level 39 twink paladins.

More is to come and I hope you all enjoyed this guide!

your statement above is correct. However, the gearlist is clearly incomplete and inaccurate as I can mention a ton of items you missed or downgraded from BiS. I'll add those tomorrow.

other than that, neat looking guide if you can complete it.

Thanks for taking the time to make one.

Please send me plenty of feedback of this guide, help me to help you! =D

If you feel anything is incorrect, please give me feedback on what you think is necessary for improvement with some good facts to make your suggestions valid :)

Thank you for taking the time to make this Guide.

On the surface though I wonder if the Flag Carrier set couldn't use a bit more armor-based damage mitigation.

the majority of the BiS items you posted aren't even obtainable at this points so might as well pass on the Paladin twinking, since twinking is all about having the best gear posisble and not "just good".

Maybe it is time to think of never mentionning grandfathered gear in a guide, to not encourage what Chubah is saying. If people have the grandfathered gear they know they have it, they know it's bis, no need to rub it in the noise of thoses who don't have it. If people stop twinking because this or that is not obtainable, every living creature will die alone anyway...I mean every twink. My 2 cents.

A lot of people lived without Green lens of stamina...

Chubah said:
the majority of the BiS items you posted aren't even obtainable at this points so might as well pass on the Paladin twinking, since twinking is all about having the best gear posisble and not "just good".

(!) Any gear with this next to it means it is rare and/or may be hard for players to obtain.

(?) Any gear with this next to it means it is grandfathered and is no longer available to players.

I posted other gear that is obtainable. Some items are harder to get than others such as Revelosh gear. But there are plenty of gear in this guide that is obtainable, but I am not going to be selfish and NOT point out some of the grandfathered gear for those who have been twinking longer than others. Some of the BiS gear is grandfathered, I cannot change that fact. But you can easily use the other gear that isn't grandfathered and still be a decent twink which is why there are other items listed.

Donniedarkõ said:
Maybe it is time to think of never mentionning grandfathered gear in a guide, to not encourage what Chubah is saying. If people have the grandfathered gear they know they have it, they know it's bis, no need to rub it in the noise of thoses who don't have it. If people stop twinking because this or that is not obtainable, every living creature will die alone anyway...I mean every twink. My 2 cents.

A lot of people lived without Green lens of stamina...

I am simply showing the BiS gear. There are other items in the Paladin guide that are not BiS and still obtainable for players who wish to try twinking at 39. If I did not mention grandfathered gear at all, then players who have been twinking for awhile would be complaining on their end for me NOT mentioning the grandfathered gear they have. So by adding grandfathered gear and also listing "Other" gear that is obtainable for newer players, it makes things balanced.

Tinkerton said:
Thank you for taking the time to make this Guide.

On the surface though I wonder if the Flag Carrier set couldn't use a bit more armor-based damage mitigation.

Could you please point out the specific items you are referring to?

FYI: there is no such thing as holy resistance. so a paladin DOES NOT NEED SPELL PENETRATION AT ALL.

this is a major flaw in a pretty good guide

edit: best chest enchant is 100 mana, IMO

best weapon is http://www.wowhead.com/item=44094 again IMO. i have both on pala, this is better

collect a spirit set, spirit is a very good stat for a holy paladin now, and post it in your guide too. IMO your BIS holy item list almost completely ignores spirit. im not sure if theres worthwhile spirit enchants but they're most definitely viable if they exist

edit2: im slowly leveling my 39 b11 pala but i have 5x paladins 80-85 lvl so i tend to think i know what im talking about with paladins

joaq said:
FYI: there is no such thing as holy resistance. so a paladin DOES NOT NEED SPELL PENETRATION AT ALL.

best weapon is The Blessed Hammer of Grace - Item - World of Warcraft again IMO. i have both on pala, this is better

collect a spirit set, spirit is a very good stat for a holy paladin now, and post it in your guide too. IMO your BIS holy item list almost completely ignores spirit. im not sure if theres worthwhile spirit enchants but they're most definitely viable if they exist

edit2: im slowly leveling my 39 b11 pala but i have 5x paladins 80-85 lvl so i tend to think i know what im talking about with paladins

Your point about spell penetration is correct. I did forget that exorcism and judgement both are holy spells. And since there is no such thing as "holy resistance" there's no point in having spell penetration, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Your comments on "spirit" are interesting. However I have never had ANY struggle with mana with my paladin. Holy Shock costs hardly any mana, WoG costs no mana, Hammer of justice costs hardly any mana, judgement costs hardly any mana, Holy Light costs hardly any mana and with infusion of light your Holy Light is pretty valuable when it's procs; Exorcism with denounce will cost less mana than Holy Shock does, the only real mana-costing spell that a holy paladin may use is Flash of Light. It's true, this guide does almost completely ignore spirit but if OOM'ing is a problem for someone playing as a holy paladin then they should most likely respec. It's easy to avoid OOMage as a holy paladin seeing how only 1 spell can even deplete your mana fast; and that one spell can crit heal a Great Geared FC for nearly his entire life. Spamming Flash of Light is the only way a Paladin can really OOM.

After The shattering, a lot of paladins changed their geming from INT to Spirit>int. However since ooming is not an issue unless your forced to use flash of light over and over again(at 39, not 80-85), spirit is a needless stat unless your in arena(but is not available). I will add The Blessed Hammer of Grace to the BiS list along with Devout Aurastone Hammer since it does add more survival vs great healing(this will be a personal perseverance).

100 mana > 4 stats to all is questionable, just like +100 health is > +4 stats. However since paladins do not struggle with mana at 39, the need for the extra mana will not be necessary in most cases.

I really appreciate you bringing my attention to +20 spell penetration, you were 100% correct about that. and like i said, i will put The Blessed Hammer of Grace on the BiS.

Ty again.

EDIT: When I say "spirit is a needless stat" I don't mean it should be completely disregarded, I am just saying that in most common situations; you will die before you have a change to oom.(at level 39). If you truely want to play it safe, have a the blessed hammer with a spirit enchantment in case you are forced to be oom'd.

joaq said:
u never cleanse? thats what gets me OOM most usually

That's true, i did forget about cleanse. I'll log on my 39 paladin and double check too see just how much mana it costs. (you could be very much so right about that).

EDIT: With the gylph that reduces the mana cost of cleanse(which i highly suggest people to get) Cleanse costs only 107 mana, which isn't A LOT but not a little either.

I wish I read this page prior to doing the countless hours of research.

Pro Guide Mrcer! Wish your Warrior wasn't level 40. :(

Oocheechoo said:
I wish I read this page prior to doing the countless hours of research.

Pro Guide Mrcer! Wish your Warrior wasn't level 40. :(

Much appreciation! Still no luck deleveling my warrior D:

You just got to get lucky and get that GM that will do it for you. Have you tried asking them to transfer gear to a new level 39 warrior including grandfathered items? Not sure if it's possible, but I have seem GM's power, so it shouldn't be too far fetched.

joaq said:

best weapon is The Blessed Hammer of Grace - Item - World of Warcraft again IMO. i have both on pala, this is better

Alright Joaq, I'm going to make myself very clear.

I do believe I am a fairly respected 39 pala around the bracket, and I'm going to use that against "you".

Collect a spirit set, I have 5x paladins 80-85.....

ehm, this is a twink forum, twinks tend to be the most popular in 19-29-39..

Your points are wrong, spirit doesn't benefit holy paladins at all before you strike 60+ or so.

Users who are viewing this thread