Important Moving to Xenforo 2 software & Help decide XPOFF's new look!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Conq, Apr 19, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Conq

Conq Guest

Back when when we first created XPOFF, I made an agreement with one of the developers that if there should come a time where he does not want us to use his Xenforo theme, I would remove it. This occurred back when I first owned the website and now that I am once again at the helm, it's time we take the look off the website in a new direction as I'm unwilling to steal it or infringe on this individuals copywrite.

I've grown attached to this theme and will be as sad as some of you to see it go, but it's an unfortunate reality that it must. Yet all is not lost.

For a short while some features will not be available, Xenforo add-ons are expensive when buying in bulk and XF1 add-ons are generally incompatible with XF2, however I'm comfortable making the investment and will work quickly to replace the popular ones during the installation or shortly after.

Now back to finding a new look, there are TONS of awesome XF2 themes out there and I want the communities help deciding which one I should purchase for us!

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles-2-x.45/?page=1

Please browse these themes, if you find one you like, post its link/screenshots, and name in a comment. With some Google work you should be able to find other options outside this list from popular Xenforo developers, feel free to post those as well.

The themes with the most likes will be considered for purchase for the future look of XPOFF.

Very soon we will be upgrading to Xenforo 2. Which comes with some really great new built in features. My favorite of which is changes which make the mobile version of the website very user friendly, however here are the rest:

Also, if you have a look at Xenforo 2's market place and find an add-on you think would be cool for the website, I will consider purchasing it!

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons-2-x.44/?page=1

I have a busy day tomorrow so I typed this up while very tired but felt it was neccissary to get it out there ASAP, will tidy up the thread tomorrow when I have time and add additional information if necessary as well as review community input.

(if a staff member wanted to make this thread more formated and fancy I would <3 you).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sketchbag

Sketchbag OVOXO Super Moderator

Oh noes, im excited and scared at the same time! :oops:

Wasn't aware of the prices either, jeez!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sin'dor

Sin'dor Member

Sounds like an interesting opportunity, but it's a shame that I don't have time to do any proper research... could someone just find me an addon that prevents anonymous posting?

• Like Like x 3
  4. OP
    PositiveAnon

PositiveAnon Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the mods for all the work they do.
    They seldom get any appreciation, but they've done an amazing job removing the toxicity from this website.
    Thanks for making this a better place. :)
    Happy twinking!
    -Positive Anon

• Surprised Surprised x 4
  5. necroaqua

necroaqua Dedicated Guide Author

I'm a fan of our current color scheme - either working out it out with the copyright holder or finding a similar scheme would be great.

And while it isn't a xenforo addon - we definitely need the wowhead tooltips to remain. They are too useful to give up.

From a quick look through the popular addons...
    • https://xenforo.com/community/resources/editor-bb-code-manager.5657/ - looks like an interesting upgrade to the BBCode editor. I don't know the commercial details of xpoff, but it might be free to use under Creative Commons.
    • https://xenforo.com/community/resources/code.6624/ - While interesting to me, theres not much code sharing on here outside of macros and BBCode. And honestly this addon seems like a worse experience for those simple use cases. Might be useful to keep in mind for the future in case someone starts a useful community wow addon or low level damage sim or a stat weight program or something.
    • https://xenforo.com/community/resources/quick-search.6149/ seems like a solid upgrade to searching. I know a lot of people only look at the front page, so if a thread leaves the front page, it can be annoying to remember if it was posted in 10-19, 10-19 Q&A, 10-19 Trade, General WoW, etc. Not sure its worth paying for though.

• Like Like x 6
  6. OP
    Conq

Conq Guest

I doubt said individual would be interested in payment in return for the ability to continue using the theme, but to be prudent i can inquire at some point unless he makes his opinion known to me prior. Last time I checked custom Xenforo themes could cost close to $1000 usd in some cases, but that was years ago, not sure what the standard is now.

• Like Like x 3
  7. OP
    Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Guest

considering how long its been used without his promition you should probably have changed yesterday lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Goesid

Goesid Twink Info Legend Fancy Pants

Just keep the darker tone that has been standard on TI/XpOff and its fine.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sammy

Sammy Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. OP
    IP_bans_work_LUL

IP_bans_work_LUL Guest

Why waste your money on a new theme if the current one is perfectly fine?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Celax

Celax The Great and Powerful Moderator

Sounds like a fun way to bring new life into the site, mix things up, and go with the "Fresh start and new slate".

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chops

Chops Soccer Dad

whichever theme comes with anon posting disabled in fine by me

• Like Like x 5
  13. Celax

Celax The Great and Powerful Moderator

Yeah, I agree that might be a good idea.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Faerondil

Faerondil Grandfathered

My one request is keep a dark theme with white letters. Easier to read IMO.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 19, 2019, Original Post Date: Apr 19, 2019 ---
    Especially since everyone has a new start and clean slate.

15. Mvq

Mvq 2016 TC Champion

The features that differ Xenforo 2 from standard Xenforo are not anything useful. Should just get a new theme for Xenforo 1, rather than waste money. I know you're not the brightest person Conq, but this is just stupid man. Just look at what you get from Xenforo 2. It's basically nothing.

Edit: I take it back. Xenforo 1 themes are so fucking bad. And the current theme is bad. I guess it makes sense why the current theme is so bad, since we are using Xenforo 1?

here's my favorite themes on Xenforo 2 that I considered for my private server:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. CIHC

CIHC That One OG

I dont
    know. That's it boss.

17. Fael

Fael Believer

Darker themes are good

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chainz

Chainz High Risk

W/e looks the most like TI

19. DeLindsay

DeLindsay 10s4Lyf

Dark Themed/color and the ability to link Wowhead items, other than that I have no concerns.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tom Ganks

Tom Ganks Formerly Robo

yeah I can't see xpoff with a different color scheme. A different interface, sure. But the color scheme has existed for us for ages (since TI) and it's identifiable. It's also good on the eyes.

• Like Like x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)