[MOP] Clivney’s Guide to a Custom F2P Balance Druid

Clivney

Legend
Introduction
Instead of focusing on one main set or build I've decided to branch off and list some unique builds; for Alliance and Horde. I believe there’s no true BIS set for balance; however, there’s pieces in each build that I feel are BIS overall.

The table of contents below should help you find each section. The table of contents goes in order of each section.

Gear
  1. My Custom Build
  2. Crit Build
  3. Haste Build
Talents

Professions

Races

Play-Style Tips

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Clivney’s Guide to a Custom F2P Balance Druid

Gear

My Custom Build (My Favorite Build)

Intro
This set is a wonderful mix of both max crit and max haste. I feel as a bookin your stat priorities are: Hit (Until Cap) > Intellect > Haste > Crit. I feel that this build suffices the needs of every balance druid. I believe that this build is the best when partnered with the troll race, because of Berserking.

Head : Lucky Fishing Hat (Priority)
Substitute: Flying Tiger Goggles

Neck: Brilliant Necklace (BiS)
BiS Because Spirit scales to hit with Balance of Power. And the added intellect is nice.

Shoulder: Preened Ironfeather Shoulders (Priority)
Substitute: Feline Mantle

Cloak: Tumultuous Cloak of the Sorcerer
Enchant: Enchant Cloak – Minor Protection

Chest: Preened Ironfeather Breastplate (Priority)
Substitute: Noble’s Robe
Enchant: Enchant Chest – Lesser Mana (Increases mana pool by A LOT)

Bracers:
Horde: Uninsured Bracers
----------------------------------
Alliance: Mindthrust Bracers (Priority)
Substitute: Cuffs of Black Elements
Enchant: Enchant Bracer – Minor Stamina

Gloves:
Horde: Gloves of the Hero
Alliance: Serpent Gloves
Enchant: Medium Armor Kit

Belt: Vigorous Belt of the Vision

Legs:
Horde: Blackfathom Leggings
Alliance: Blackfathom Leggings

Feet: Sandals of Sacrifice

Ring 1: Seal of Argas

Ring 2:
Horde: Advisor’s Ring
Alliance: Lorekeeper’s Ring

Trinket 1: Swift Hand of Justice

Optional: (If you feel the need for a PvP trinket on a druid)
Horde: Inherited Insignia of the Horde
Alliance: Inherited Insignia of the Alliance

Trinket 2: Swift Hand of Justice

Weapon: Devout Aurastone Hammer
Enchant: Enchant Weapon – Minor Striking

Offhand: Musty Tome of the Lost

Max Crit Build

Intro:
For those that want wicked crits.

BiS Because Spirit scales to hit with Balance of Power. And the added intellect is nice.

Substitute: Lasting Feralhearth Spaulders

Cloak:
Horde:
Tumultuous Cloak of the Sorcerer
Alliance: Silver Embroidered Cloak

Chest: Noble's Robe

Bracers:
Alliance: Ancient Cuffs
Enchant: Enchant Bracers – Minor Stamina

Gloves:
Alliance: Gloves of Anguished Cries

Belt: Girdle of Nobility

Legs:

Feet:
Horde: Merger Boots
Alliance: Stick with Corpse Rompers

Ring 1:
Horde:
Stendel’s Wedding Band (Priority)
Substitute / Optional: Stillwater's Signet
Alliance:
Stendel’s Wedding Band (Priority)
Subsitute: Solid Bronze Ring

Ring 2:
Horde: Stendel’s Wedding Band
Alliance: Stendel’s Wedding Band

Trinket 1: Rune of Perfection (We have to make up for lost hit)

Trinket 2: Discerning Eye of the Beast (There’s really no point in getting the haste trinket due to little significance) OR Arena Grand Master

Optional: (If you feel the need for a PvP trinket on a druid)
Horde: Inherited Insignia of the Horde
Alliance: Inherited Insignia of the Alliance

Weapon: Dignified Headmaster’s Charge
Enchant: Enchant Weapon 2H – Lesser Intellect
(You can’t miss out on the spell power vs. Riot Stick)

Max Haste Build

Intro
For those that want instant fast casts. This build is BEST when partnered with the troll race due to Berserking.

Substitute: Feline Mantle

Cloak: Tumultuous Cloak of the Sorcerer

Chest: Darkmoon Robe of the Sorcerer

Bracers:
Alliance: Mindthrust Bracers (Priority)
Substitute: Cuffs of Black Elements
Enchant: Enchant Bracer – Minor Stamina

Gloves:
Alliance: Serpent Gloves

Belt: Vigorous Belt of the Vision

Legs:

Feet: Sandals of Sacrifice

Ring 1: Seal of Argas

Ring 2:
Horde: Advisor’s Ring
Alliance: Lorekeeper’s Ring

Trinket 1: Swift Hand of Justice

Trinket 2: Swift Hand of Justice

Weapon: Devout Aurastone Hammer
Enchant: Enchant Weapon – Minor Striking

Offhand: Musty Tome of the Lost

Talents

Displacer Beast
Instant 30 sec cooldown
Requires Druid
Requires level 15
Teleports the Druid up to 20 yards forward, activates Cat Form, and increases movement speed by 50% for 4 sec.

Displacer Beast is probably my favorite Druid Talent. With Displacer Beast the druid can teleport out of most stuns and it offers great mobility for catching up with FC’s and rooting them. I would consider this Talent BIS for the balance druid.

Feline Swiftness
Requires Druid
Requires level 15
Increases your movement speed by 15%.

Pretty much the worse talent of the bunch

Wild Charge
5 - 25 yd range
Instant 15 sec cooldown
Requires Druid
Requires level 15
Fly to a nearby ally's position.

Wild Charge is a great talent. It offers the ability to disengage, much like hunters, in moonkin form. The cooldown on Wild Charge is good, however, I feel that most moves are situational vs. Displacer Beast. Wild Charge is probably the best when partnered with defending the FC. A druid, in no form, may fly to a nearby ally’s position. It is possible to fly from the base of the Flag room to the roof of the flag room; if your friendly FC is on the ledge, and of course you target them. Wild Charge is a good talent, however, Displacer Beast is more suited toward the balance druid.

Professions

The balance druid is best when partnered with Alchemy and Herbalism, just like most of the Free to play classes.

Herbalism

Herbalism offers the Lifeblood skill; this skill is very handy when bursting down the EFC or pesky hunters.

Alchemy

Alchemy offers the ability to create Elixir of Wisdom and Swiftness Potion. Elixir of Wisdom is great for added DPS, and Swiftness potion is wonderful for escaping from hunters or catching up to the EFC

Engineering

What can I say? Engineering is really a petty profession in my opinion. I believe you should only pick engineering for Flying Tiger Goggles; other than that, it’s a waste of time. The bombs from engineering are somewhat useful; however, as a mobile class druids don’t need them.

Leatherworking

Leatherworking should be taken only to create Medium Armor Kit.

Enchanting

Enchanting should be taken to acquire:

Enchant Cloak – Minor Protection

Enchant Bracer – Minor Stamina

Enchant Chest - Lesser Mana

Enchant Weapon – Minor Impact

Enchant Weapon 2H – Lesser Intellect

Minor Wizard Oil

Inscription is useful for getting easy intellect buffs such as Scroll of Intellect II; however, Alchemy’s Elixir of Wisdom is much better. Inscription should be taken only to obtain: Darkmoon Robe of the Sorcerer.

Skinning

Great when partnered with the max crit set because of Master of Anatomy, however, one should create Minor Wizard Oil(s) and Elixirs of Wisdom before obtaining skinning.

Mining

Not a viable option for F2P boomkins

Blacksmithing

Not a viable option for F2P boomkins

Races

Alliance

Night Elf

Night elfs are a strong druid choice for Alliance. Night elfs have the ability to avoid combat with Shadowmeld, and Night elfs also have access to Quickness; which makes them more likely to dodge. Night elfs also have access to a 1% nature resistance; which gives them the upper hand when facing other druids.

Worgen

Worgen is probably the strongest race for Alliance. Worgens have access to Darkflight, which is very handy for chasing the EFC. Worgens also have access to a 1% critical strike gain, and a 1% resistance to shadow – making them a great candidate when facing warlocks.

Horde

Troll

Troll is probably the best race for the balance druid specialization. Trolls have access to Berserking, which is wonderful to use when bursting; especially with max haste! Trolls also regenerate their health 10% faster due to Regeneration. Lastly, trolls receive a movement impairing duration reduction. When their movement is impaired, trolls receive a 15% time reduction in the effect due to Da Voodoo Shuffle.

Tauren

A good balance druid choice, however, I feel that the tauren makes a better guardian druid or feral druid. Taurens have the ability to AOE stun, due to the War Stomp ability. In addition to night elfs, taurens receive a 1% nature damage reduction. Lastly, taurens receive a 5% health increase; which is why I believe that they are better suited guardian and feral druids.

Play-Style Tips

It's imperative that the balance druid constantly applies pressure to the enemy team. Thus, the balance druid should ALWAYS keep moonfire and sunfire on every enemy target. This is when haste becomes beneficial; because haste increases DoT damage, the druid doesn’t have to constantly tab target and re-apply dots. This means that while dots are applied the druid can cast in-between the reapplication of dots.

Balance druids should utilize Rejuvenate. In other words, balance druids should always apply the HoT spell Rejuvenate to targets below 50%. Healers generally appreciate the help, and keeping your team alive is a great way to win.

When focusing the EFC try to apply damage all at once. I know…I know… I said earlier that “It's imperative that the balance druid constantly applies pressure to the enemy team.”, however, balance druids can obtain remarkably fast casts when lifeblood is applied to the druid, and the druid is equipped with full haste gear. This means that HUGE and unpredictable jolts of damage can be applied to the EFC.

Always keep yourself at 75% into the next Lunar Eclipse. It’s wonderful to have an added 15% spell haste grant with Eclipse.

Almost always use Starsurge when it’s up. Starsurge is incredible for dealing very high amounts of damage.

If you see any mistakes such as:

• Grammatical mistakes
  • Spelling mistakes
  • Broken links
  • Bad advice

or any other thing that you think will make this guide better.....

Please, send me a private message so we can fix it.

Thanks,
Clivney

If a mod could move this to the F2P guide section I'd be very great full --Thanks.

Well written guide! To the point and easy to understand.

Moved to appropriate forum.

You shouldn't encourage people to play without hitcap.

You shouldn't encourage people to play without hitcap.

I didn't...all of the spirit is converted into hit. The crit set makes up for hit loss with Rune of Perfection.

I didn't...all of the spirit is converted into hit. The crit set makes up for hit loss with Rune of Perfection.

set 1 has 9 of 15 hit and set 3 has 13 out of 15 hit required for hit cap. So yes, yes you are.

this.jpg

Having more hit than this is pointless.

Plus, when partnered with Boiled Clams you're fine.

*I was getting ready to add cooking to professions as well...*

Thanks.

It's always interesting to see discussion about balance druid sets at this level, because they have to make plenty of tough choices when it comes to hit capping. Using food to reach hit cap is interesting, and seems like a better option to me rather than using an Elder cloak or w/v.

The one thing i'm not so sure about is using a mana enchant to chest. Seems kinda wasted to me considering its so easy for balance druids to get mana back from eclipsing.(Maybe i'm missing something but stamina just seems a better option, especially when its more than practical for balance druid to trade stam pieces for things like Swift hand and Stendels.)

May also be nice if you included screenshots of your stats while in the sets, to give people an idea of what they would be gearing towards (Crit %, Haste %, Health, etc etc).

Anyway, good guide, good read.

It's always interesting to see discussion about balance druid sets at this level, because they have to make plenty of tough choices when it comes to hit capping. Using food to reach hit cap is interesting, and seems like a better option to me rather than using an Elder cloak or w/v.

The one thing i'm not so sure about is using a mana enchant to chest. Seems kinda wasted to me considering its so easy for balance druids to get mana back from eclipsing.(Maybe i'm missing something but stamina just seems a better option, especially when its more than practical for balance druid to trade stam pieces for things like Swift hand and Stendels.)

May also be nice if you included screenshots of your stats while in the sets, to give people an idea of what they would be gearing towards (Crit %, Haste %, Health, etc etc).

My current set on my boomy is.

LFH
Brilliant Neck
Loom shoulder
Sorc cloak
Loom chest
Owl bracers
DMHC
Serpent Gloves
Vision belt
Leech Pants
Corpse Rompers
Lorekeeper Ring
Seal of Argas
AGM swap for haste trinket depending on game.
Insignia

Vision belt and sorc cloak with moonkin form aura is enough to get through the first breakpoint at all time. You will a high amount of spell power and using the haste trinket with natures grace and lifeblood will put you just over the 3rd breakpoint. Crit isn't all too important, sure they are nice but it's not worth the sp sacrifice imo.

Thanks sevenslacks7! Anyhow, the reason I use +20 mana is because during mana intensive fights, it's great to rejuve spam to keep your team alive; as mentioned in "Play-Style Tips." I hope this clears things up. Thanks again for the positive input.

Users who are viewing this thread