Mocha's 19 Rogue Guide

Mocha

Legendary
Mocha's Rogue Guide

Updated 11/4

Introduction

As of Warlord's of Draenor the level 19 rogue has undergone a few changes. As of right now the most viable 19 rogue spec is combat. There are many viable options such as stacking Versatility, Crit, balancing between the two or full AP.

As of right now, rogues are running as combat with dual Elemental Force enchants and stacking crit and stamina. The reasoning behind this is Elemental Force procs extremely often, including off of deadly poison. A rogue's attack power does not influence Elemental Force, but critical strike and haste both do. Rogues are stacking enough agility to get some filthy ambush crits for over 1200. If you are looking for strictly an ambush stealth repeat set, you're going to want to stack pure AP.

The best set up will maximize EF damage procs and ambush damage through stacking Versatility, Agility, and some added crit. A rogue is very easily destroyed when out of stealth, so rogues are very useful for an opener on a FC or sitting on a caster. A viable option would be to have a good all around set for basic fighting and then a pure ap / crit set for opening on a EFC with stacks in attempt to one shot him.

Rogues main focus is get their flag back to their base as quickly as possible. As soon as your flag is picked up, all rogues on your team should drop what they're doing immediately and start tracking down the EFC. If you can get a quick return, go for it. If you have to wait for more support or stacks to build, stay between the EFC and the cap incase you need to repack the flag if your FC goes down.

Disclaimer: This guide is roughly and quickly updated for 6.1 but is not exactly complete / finished.

Table of Contents:
  1. Race
  2. Talents
  3. Professions
  4. Gear
  5. Enchants
  6. Macros
  7. Gameplay

1. Race

Although Races are much more than their racial abilities, here is a list of races which I feel are most viable. Races are up to the players preference for which race feels better than others. I personally love the female undead movement because they are agile and can fit into many small areas. I've been the female UD rogue with LFH and Tabard of Frost since I was a kid. You should not commit to a race until you have tested its movement. However, I'll admit that Blood Elf for Horde is typically the most viable rogue race for the extra interrupt. It can be absolutely game changing For alliance, Night Elf is typically the most viable for the shadowmeld stealth vanish.

Horde

Blood Elf
  • Arcane Torrent: This is an 8 yard AOE instant silence of 2 seconds which also restores 15 energy
Goblin
  • Rocket Jump:This launches your character as if it is a forward disengage. You can jump off of roof and RJ to 2nd floor, launch out of LoS or get from the bottom of horde GY up to the top.

Undead

• Will of the Forsaken: This is a CC countering cool down. It removes you from a Fear effect, Sleep effect, or Charm effect
  • Cannibalize: This is a HoT that can be used in combat or in stealth if used with my macro

Alliance

Night Elf
  • Shadowmeld: This works as a "vanish" when utilized as a rogue. If you do not have any DoTs on you, you can Shadowmeld and stealth. If you do have DoTs you can always AGM before the DoT ticks to pull off the same effect

Human

Worgen

• Darkflight: This is a 10 second speed increase of 40%
  • Viciousness: This is a 1% critical strike increase

Talents

Nightstalker: 50% damage bonus and 20% run speed bonus while in stealth. Easier to reach EFCs that may kite and/or have various movement speed increases, and you'll see some sick ambush crits with this talent. As of right now Nightstalker is the most viable option beyond all talents in a WSG scenario and I believe this to possibly be true in an arena scenario as well.

3. Professions

As of right now the bonuses to Mining, Skinning, and Herbalism have been removed. Alchemy however, still has the Mixology bonus which grants additional use of potions. Engineering still allows you to use bombs, although the cast time has been increased to make them nearly useless to races besides gnome which are allowed to use these bombs while moving. Jewlcrafting allows you to create stones which can heal you. Many members craft a bank full of statues with jewlcrafting and then pick up engineering as their second profession to Alchemy.

4. Gear

Here's the link to my main rogue who's gear is always changing. Sometimes I'll throw [Enchant Weapon - Landslide] into my mainhand. I do this mainly in my survivability set and my EFC dropping set but I only use it for a brief moment until proc, at which point I switch back to Elemental Force.

Mocha's EFC Dropping Set:
Short battles : High damage output : Low survivability

Head - Stained Shadowcraft Cap

Neck -Scout's Medallion / Eternal Will of the Martyr

Shoulder - Stained Shadowcraft Spaulders

Back - Glowing Lizardscale Cloak / Inherited Cape of the Black Baron

Chest - Gloomshroud Armor / Blackened Defias Armor / Tunic of Westfall/ Stained Shadowcraft Tunic

Wrist - Forest Leather Bracers / Black Wolf Bracers

Gloves - Gloves of the Fang / Blackened Defias Gloves / Foreman's Gloves / Wild Rider's Gloves

Belt - Blackened Defias Belt / Vigorous Belt of the Bandit

Legs - Stained Shadowcraft Pants / Blackened Defias Leggings

Feet - Blackened Defias Boots / Feet of the Lynx / Cobrahn's Boots

Ring 1 - Signet of Argas

Ring 2 - Signet of Argas / Ello's Band / Stendel's Wedding Band

Main Hand - Shadowfang / Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge

Off Hand - Shadowfang / Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge

Trinket 1 - Inherited Insignia of the Horde / Alliance

Trinket 2 - Arena Grand Master

*If you do not have Gloomshroud, use the entire Blackened Defias Armor Set if you have it.

Mocha's All Around Set:
Medium battles : High damage output : Low survivability

Head - Stained Shadowcraft Cap

Neck -
Eternal Will of the Martyr

Shoulder -
Stained Shadowcraft Spaulders

Back - Inherited Cape of the Black Baron

Chest - Stained Shadowcraft Tunic

Wrist - Black Wolf Bracers

Gloves -
Wild Rider's Gloves / Foreman's Gloves / Gloves of the Fang

Belt - Vigorous Belt of the Bandit

Legs - Stained Shadowcraft Pants

Feet - Silver Embossed Boots / Cobrahn's Boots /
Feet of the Lynx

Ring 1 -
Dread Pirate Ring / Stendel's Wedding Band

Ring 2 -
Ello's Band /Stendel's Wedding Band/ Signet of Argas

Off Hand - Shadowfang /
Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge

*Silver Embossed Boots Scale to +5 Stamina +5 Agility and +5 Crit

Mocha's Survivability Set:
Long battles : Medium damage output : High survivability

Head - Stained Shadowcraft Cap / Lucky Fishing Hat

Neck -

Shoulder -

Chest - Stained Shadowcraft Tunic

Gloves - Blackened Defias Gloves / Bristlebark Gloves

Belt - Vigorous Belt of the Bandit

Feet -
Feet of the Lynx / Cobrahn's Boots

Ring 1 - Dread Pirate Ring /
Signet of Argas

Ring 2 - Seal of Sylvannas / Ello's Band

Off Hand -
Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge / Shadowfang

Flag Carrying Set:
Holding Flags Temporarily : Low damage output : Highest survivability

Head - Lucky Fishing Hat

Neck -

Shoulder -

Chest - Toughened Leather Armor

Gloves -
Blackened Defias Gloves / Bristlebark Gloves

Belt - Vigorous Belt of the Monkey

Feet - Grizzled Boots / Cobrahn's Boots

Ring 1 - Seal of Sylvanas /
Blood Ring

Ring 2 -
Dread Pirate Ring / Ello's Band

Main Hand - Dawnblade

Off Hand - Furbolg's Medicine Pouch

Trinket 1 - Inherited Insignia of the Horde

5. Enchants

Mocha's EFC Dropping Set:

Neck - Gift of Versatility
Shoulder - Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
Back - Gift of Versatility or Gift of Critical Strike
Chest - Peerless Stats

Wrist - Greater Assault
Gloves - Crusher
Legs - Shadowleather Leg Armor
Feet - Minor Speed
Ring 1 - Gift of Versatility
Ring 2 - Gift of Versatility
Main Hand - Elemental Force
Off Hand - Elemental Force

Mocha's All Around Set:

Shoulder - Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
Back - Gift of Versatility
Chest - Peerless Stats

Wrist - Critical Strike
Gloves - Blasting
Legs - Shadowleather Leg Armor
Feet - Minor Speed

Mocha's Survivability Set:

Shoulder - Greater Inscription of the Gladiator
Chest - Heavy Knothide Armor Kit
Wrist - Major Stamina
Gloves - Glove Reinforcements * Apply before binding your gloves
Legs - Charscale Leg Armor
Feet - Minor Speed

Mocha's Flag Carrying
Set:

Shoulder - Greater Inscription of the Gladiator
Chest - Heavy Knothide Armor Kit
Wrist - Major Stamina
Gloves - Glove Reinforcements * Apply before binding your gloves
Legs - Charscale Leg Armor
Feet - Minor Speed /Tuskarr's Vitality / Boar's Speed
Main Hand - Colossus

6. Macros

Spamable Stealth Macro
This is the macro that I use to rely on my stealthing. You can spam this and it will not remove stealth. This comes in handy over the original stealth spell because if you're fighting for a restealth you could accidentally cancel your stealth by spamming the spell. This will not happen with this macro. In addition, if you have Distract, your rogue will use Distract if you are in combat, use Stealth when you are not in combat, and use Distract when you are stealth. I use Distract on my higher leveled rogues to mess with someone's movement should they be running and out of combat.

Code:
 [FONT=courier new]#showtooltip Stealth
/cast [combat][stealth]Distract;!Stealth[/FONT]

Sap Macro
This is a macro that will sap the closest enemy to you. This is key to getting the sap on a rogue who is stealthed. You will still have to have a bind for a normal sap on your current target however. I would strongly suggest you bind this macro to Shift+Scroll Up and Shift+Scroll Down as it will give you even more of an advantage. Modify this macro for your other classes by making a stealth breaker macro! Hunters can change it to a petattack / autoattack or conc, pally could be judgement or hoj, priest could be pain etc.

Code:
[FONT=arial]
[FONT=courier new][URL="http://www.twinkinfo.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=showtooltip"]#showtooltip[/URL] Sap[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=courier new]
/console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
/Cleartarget
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
[/FONT][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]/cast [harm,nodead] Sap[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Focus Kick Macro

This macro will allow you to be attacking one player and without switching targets you will kick your focus target. This macro is key for interrupting an important heal.

Code:
[FONT=arial]
[FONT=courier new][URL="http://www.twinkinfo.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=showtooltip"]#showtooltip[/URL] Kick[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]/cast [@Focus] Kick[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Focus Sap Macro
This is what I use to sap my focus target. Early on in the game, I decide who I need to keep sapped at the start of the game. This is usually the top healer on the opposing faction.

Code:
[FONT=courier new]#showtooltip Sap
/cast @[target=focus] sap[/FONT]

Bandage Macro
This macro will bandage your target and whisper your target that you are bandaging them and to stay in range. I also added in the /stopcasting function to make for quick bandages. If you would like you could also add this into a mouseover.

Code:
[FONT=courier new][URL="http://www.twinkinfo.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=showtooltip"]#showtooltip[/URL] runecloth bandage
/stopcasting
/run if UnitExists"target"then SendChatMessage("Casting Runecloth Bandage On You! Please Stay In Range!","WHISPER",nil,UnitName"target")end
/cast Runecloth Bandage[/FONT]

Stealth or Vanish + Cannibalize

This macro can be used by any level, but as undead, this macro will allow your rogue to cannibalize an enemy and stealth at the same time. This way your rogue will be discretely cannibalizing its target while being stealthed. The stealth function will only work if you are not in combat if you do not have vanish. If your rogue does have vanish (higher levels) your rogue will vanish if in combat, or stealth cannibalize.

Code:
[FONT=courier new][URL="http://www.twinkinfo.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=showtooltip"]#showtooltip[/URL] Stealth
/cast [nostealth] !Cannibalize;
/cast [nocombat] !Stealth; Vanish[/FONT][FONT=arial]
[/FONT]

7. Gameplay

Lets cover the basics. View these two guides since these are two very important aspects to PvPing. Without them it will be very difficult to compete in PvP at any level:

Backstrafing

Mocha's Guide To Scroll Clicking

CLICK HERE ----> Warsong Gulch Tips And Tricks EPIC:
I have created a huge monstrosity of WSG tips that I use subconsciously and daily. This is a lengthy post, but I assure you there is plenty of information that players of all levels can get out of it. As I've mentioned, it is of substantial length, so don't over do it. Read a little bit at a time or whatever works for you.

Dark Jade Focusing Lens:
Not enough people are using these Focusing Lenses. They will shoot a beam directly through any terrain and /or obstacles and follow your target. Use this on EFC if you are standing near the end of your tunnel and you are unsure as to where he is exiting your base from. However, be warned as this will remove you from stealth and will also alert EFC as to your position and that you are on to him. This lens is best used to determine which way EFC is exiting from your base.

RangeDisplay:
This is a prime addon you need to get. It will show a range bracket for your target, your mouseover, and your focus. What this means is, you target EFC via Battleground Targets addon and immediately, it will tell you how far away you are from your target. For example it may say you are 20-25 yards from your target and then it may say your target is 25-30 yards away shortly after. If the distance is rapidly increasing, then you know you are not going going in his direction or that simply you are not nearly as fast as him. This addon is crucial for telling where EFC is. If you are within 60 yards, you can use your Focusing Lens.

Basic WSG Strategy
For the start of the game, you have 2 options. Either sit in your FR at the start or go down tunnel and try to assist with the mid fight. Chances are you'll be nearly useless in the mid fight as it is very well catered to ranged DPS, so your priority is sapping high profile targets on the opposing team which will hopefully result in your team gaining the upper hand. What I often do, is go out, sap the targets and then as soon as I have done my job, I'm already hunting down EFC and headed back to our flag room if I cannot cut him off at the start of the game. If the opposing team does not have a FC going for your flag, your job is now to hang around your healers and attempt to bust any rogues or ferals looking to take out your healers. If the opposing team has no FC, no rogues and no ferals, you can then see about aiding your team in focusing a healer or two, but don't get carried away. All you need to do is drop a few healers before your offense will naturally push the opposing team back. After you've dropped your targets, start heading back to your flag room to look for an incoming FC.

Your sole purpose is to return flags and aid in their returning. What this means is, you will not always be the one ambushing EFC and getting the return. Sometimes you need to be the guy laying down a sap on the healer and missing out on the return credit. As long as your team gets it, it's a win. Regardless, from the second an enemy flag carrier touches your flag to the second he is dead, your job is to be GLUED to him. Wherever he is, you should be and wherever he goes, you need to report in BG chat where he is. If 2 opposing rogues are playing correctly, neither rogue should ever see each other during a match as he will always be on your FC and you will always be on his FC. Your paths really shouldn't cross much at all.

With that in mind, you need to be aware of EFC's position at all times and his potential support. As soon as EFC is entering your base whatever you are in the middle of doing is now irrelevant. You are now to completely drop whatever you are doing, and do whatever you can to prevent EFC from leaving your base at all costs. You won't always be able to kill him, so perhaps chain sapping him is what you need to do. You also must tell your team where EFC is headed so your team can cut him off. The goal is to never let EFC cross mid. You don't want a game to get to the offense and defensive point and building stacks. You want to return the flag as soon as possible. However, sometimes this is not always possible, and perhaps you need to wait for 6 stacks to drop EFC. If this is the case, you need to be ready to open at 5 stacks and your offense needs to be in position as the 6th stack hits. You cannot waste time as the first team to assault EFC is almost always the victorious team.

Cross Sapping:
Cross sapping is one of the most game changing things a rogue can do. Cross sapping is when a rogue saps particularly troublesome opposition DPS in mid to allow your FC to cross mid successfully. Good targets for this would be Hunters looking to conc your FC, Druids mid casting roots on your FC, Mages looking to nova or otherwise snare your FC etc. It's removing your FCs biggest threat from mid which will help him cross.

Locking Down Healers:
How do you take down an EFC with over 4k HP and 5 DPS around him? You cut off his healers while your offense focuses down targets. You have 2 extremely useful abilities when it comes to taking healers out of the play. Sap, and Kick. What you should do, is find a healing caster who is the most effective healer on the opposing team. This is going to be your kick target. What you are then going to do, is find the second most effective healer on the opposing team. Your goal is to kick the most effective healer while having the second most effective healer sapped, while your support is focusing down their top desired target.

Based on the positioning, you may be able to sap secondary, open with an ambush on the EFC and then focus kick the primary healer. If the EFC is not close to the primary healer, your best bet is to simply sap secondary and then open on the primary healer while kicking immediately after opening in attempt to open and kick his mid heal.

If you are going against a team with only a Priest and a Shaman on D (as opposed to double priest, or double shaman, or double MW etc), throw out the most effective / least effective rule of thumb (within reason) and check this out. If you were to sap the Priest, the second he is free of CC, he will cast an instant absorb to mitigate burst which is extremely effective. Now if you sapped a Shaman instead, the instant he is free of CC, he is going to begin casting healing surge. If he casts Riptide instead, he has just wasted a global on a very ineffective heal and chances are his FC will be dead by the time he does get a Healing Surge off. With this in mind, your kick target will be priest and your sap target will be Shaman as a shaman is even more delayed in responding to burst than a priest. Every time you try this maneuver, you should expect your sapped target to trinket so be ready with a BE silence or a resap if he does not pick up combat.

Monitor Your Cool Downs and Consumables!
Cool downs and consumables create a higher level of gameplay. If you use your cool downs effectively you will have a higher rate of survival and success. Know what consumables you can use and when to use them. Do not go all out on consumables just to get dropped when you exit your graveyard. Be smart and conservative about using your consumables until the game is on the line. When fate of the game relies on one play, that is the play where you go all out on your cool downs and your consumables. Most of the time there is no need to waste your AGM on a random person. Unless that one person would be in the progress of leaving your flagroom with your flag and after a long battle you just need that extra cool down to ensure the returning of the flag promptly.

Thistle Tea: Restores 100 energy instantly

Runecloth Bandage: Heals 2,944 health over 8 seconds

Heavy Sharpening Stone: Since poisons no longer are on weapons, add +4 damage to your weapons!

Halaani Whiskey: +20 Stamina

Elixir of Lesser Agility: +8 Agility

Healing Potion: Restores 295 health

Charged Crystal Focus: Restores 2000 life

Swiftness Potion: Increases run speed by 50% for 15 seconds

Discombobulator Ray: Turns target into a Leper Gnome, limiting speed and attack power

Shadow Oil: 15% chance at a shadow bolt proc

Flame Deflector: Absorbs fire damage

Holy Protection Potion: Absorbs holy damage

Shadow Protection Potion: Absorbs shadow damage

Scroll of Agility II: + 5 Agility

Scroll of Stamina II: +5 Stamina

Dark Jade Focusing Lens: Projects a green beam through any object to your current target (find FCs easily through any terrain or LOS object)

Attachments

• Scroll Click.jpg
    Scroll Click.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 532
Last edited by a moderator:
Scrupeless Bracers for combat IMO with Dread Pirate Ring also worth mentioning Battleworn Thrashblade if you've not got SF

Other than that nice layout gj and people stop making rogue guides
<

Great guide! but blue color on the links, at least that shade, hard to read. ALTHOUGH, one of the only guides that has links working with changes to forums

Good Job Mocha.

edit: mocha even tho u made a rogue guide, u dawj hamcake 1v1s!

trashe

Last edited by a moderator:
Scrupeless Bracers for combat IMO with Dread Pirate Ring also worth mentioning Battleworn Thrashblade if you've not got SF

Other than that nice layout gj and people stop making rogue guides
<

Edit: I forgot about Deviate Scale Belt which may be worth mentioning for combat

Ooops that was supposed to be a edit /sigh

Only thing i can suggest mocha is the BoA dagger > night watch sword. Same stam but has a point of resil or two on it. Overall nice guide
<

Couple things,

on your stam set, the wranglers are not BiS, use bracers of the ancient grove.

on your consumables, magic dust no longer works, and holy spring water is no longer obtainable, whilst you left out charged crystal focus.

Users who are viewing this thread