4. Talents
5.Roles as a Holy Paladin
6. Gear
7. Tips
8. Macros
9.Addons
10. Final Words

1. What has changed since Cataclysm?

Paladins have gained and lost several abilities with the release of Mists of Pandaria.

What Paladins Lost:

Haste/Mana regeneration increase from judgement.

Hand of Protection

Exorcism

Holy Light

Old Talent system

Intellect no longer increases mana pools.

What Paladins Gained:

Divine Shield

Seal of Command

Mana has been changed, all mana using classes at 19 now have a baseline 110 mana

Holy Insight

New Talent system

2. Race
Alliance: Human > Draeni = Dwarf

Human

Every Man for Himself
Mace Specialization
Sword Specialization
The Human Spirit

Draenei

Gift of the Naaru
Heroic Presence
Shadow Resistance

Dwarf

Stoneform
Frost Resistance
Mace Specialization

Horde: Blood Elf = Tauren

Blood Elf

Arcane Torrent
Arcane Resistance

Tauren

War Stomp
Endurance
Nature Resistance

3. Professions

Herbalism: Lifeblood: This provides a small heal and 94 haste.

Skinning: Master of anatomy: This provides 9 critical strike ~3% crit

Mining: Toughness: This provides +7 stamina

Engineering: Engineering provides no passive buffs, but picking up engineering allows you to use big bronze bombs. Big bronze bombs are a great additional CC.

I recommend picking up Herbalism and Skinning, but engineering is a great choice if you make good use of bombs.

4. Talents

Speed of Light: I’m not a fan of this one. First off it can be dispelled; secondly it limits your overall movement compared to the others due to its short up-time. However I can see this being a great cooldown for getting out of trouble.

Long Arm of the Law: I don’t recommend this talent. The big downside to it is that it requires you to judgment. So if you’re crossing mid you will be moving as slow as everyone else.

Pursuit of Justice: This talent provides the most overall mobility, it also frees up your boot enchant because minor speed to boots and this talent do not stack. I highly recommend choosing this talent.

5. Roles as a Holy Paladin

Healing the Midfight

Midfield fights are very common and as a holy paladin positioning is key. You want to position yourself as far away from the enemy team while being in range to heal your teammates. Since there is no LoS in the middle of WSG this is the only way to avoid incoming CC. It is very important to avoid tunnel visioning while healing midfield, you don’t want to be left behind while your team is pushing the enemy team back or left for dead when your team is falling back.
Healing the Offense

Your top priority when healing offense is keeping your offense alive, remember damage comes second. Paladins have decent overall damage with offensive holy shocks, judgment, and crusader strike. Try to use your hammer of justice wisely to help land a kill on the EFC. Also pay attention to your own flag carrier, if you know he’s dropping go for the repack.

Healing the Defense

It is more common for paladins to heal defense. This is due to paladin’s strong heals and big defensive cooldowns (bubble and lay on hands). When healing in the Alliance and Horde bases take advantage of LOS. It is also important to keep some distance between you and your flag carrier, when your healers are all stacked up your defense is more vulnerable to CC.

Flag Carrying

Being able to flag carry is a very important part of playing a holy paladin, especially when pugging often. Holy paladins make great flag carriers for pugs due to their high armor, high mobility, and heals. As a flag carrier you need to be aware of your teammate’s positions as well as the other team’s positions. Making the mistake of line of sighting your healers or running away from your teammates will result in being returned on. It’s hard to write about flag carrying, flag carrying is something that you learn as you go on and learn from your mistakes. Don’t shy away from picking up the flag; it just takes time, practice, and experience to become comfortable with flag carrying. Don’t give up!

6. Gear

Here I will be listing different gear options for Holy Paladins. I will include several different options for each slot. Note that horde has much better gear for paladins, but alliance paladins don’t be discouraged. I played my paladin for over a year with alliance only gear, the gear difference doesn’t make as big of a deal as people think! (I included gear available to alliance for every slot in this section)

*Holy Paladins no longer need hit rating for spells
** No Grandfathered gear will be included in this guide

If an item is in bold that means I recommend using this piece if it is available to you, same goes for enchants.

With patch 5.4 there is a wide variety of enchanting options to choose from. Mix and match and see what you like.
Thanks to Aelobin You can see a complete list of enchants and what they scale to here.

Standard Healing Set

Head:Tattered Dreadmist Mask l Mystical Coif of Elements l Lucky Fishing Hat

Neck: Voice Amplification Modulator l Thick Bronze Necklace

Shoulder: Pristine Lightforge Spaulders l Mystical Pauldrons of Elements
Enchant: Greater Orb l Greater Discipline l Heavy Borean

Back: Ancient Bloodmoon Cloak l Tumultuous Cloak of the Sorcerer (+4 Stamina, +4 Intellect, +4 Haste)
Enchant: Mighty Stamina l Greater Intellect l Greater Critical Strike l Greater Speed

Chest: Mystical Vest of Elements
Enchant: Exceptional Mana lHeavy Borean

Wrist: Uninsured Bracers l Fortified Bracers of Intellect or of the Eagle (+5 Intellect l +3 Stamina +3 Intellect) l Mindthrust Bracers l Cuffs of the Black Elements
Enchant: Healing Power l Greater Crit l Greater Speed l Major Stamina

Hands: Wild Rider’s Gloves l Serpent Gloves l Serpentis’ Gloves
Enchant: Minor Haste l Healing Power l Blasting l *Glove Reinforcements
*Only usable on BoE items.

Waist: Earthbound Girdle of the Sorcerer (+5 Stamina, +5 Intellect, +5 Haste)

Legs: Tattered Dreadmist Leggings l Mystical Kilt of Elements
Enchant: Sapphire Spellthread

Feet: Merger Boots l Spidersilk Boots
Enchant: Surefooted l Haste l Boar's Speed l *Heavy Borean
*Only usable on BoE items.

Ring 1: Stillwater’s Signet l Seal of Argas l Lorekeeper’s Ring l Solid Bronze Ring

Ring 2: Seal of Argas l Garrosh’s Pardon

Trinket 1: Arena Grand Master l Discerning Eye of the Beast l Swift Hand of Justice l Inherited Mark of Tyranny

Trinket 2: Inherited Insignia of the Alliance/Hordel Arena Grand Master l Discerning Eye of the Beast l Swift Hand of Justice

Main Hand: Devout Aurastone Hammer l The Blessed Hammer of Grace
Enchant: Mighty Intellect l Spellpower l Windsong l Jade Spirit

Shield: Shield of Talrendis Point l Weathered Observer's Shield l Seedcloud Buckler
Enchant: Vitality l Greater Intellect l Major Stamina

Flag Carrying Set

Head: Burnished Helm of Might l Lucky Fishing Hat

Neck: Thick Bronze Necklace

Shoulder: Strengthened Stockade Pauldrons l Pristine Lightforge Spaulders
Enchant: Heavy Borean

Back: Tumultuous Cloak of Stamina (+8 Stamina)
Enchant: Mighty Stamina

Chest: Burnished Breastplate of Might l Toughened Leather Armor

Wrist: Sparkmetal Bracers l Fortified Bracers of Stamina (+5 Stamina)
Enchant: Major Stamina

Hands: Thorbia’s Gauntlets l Bristlebark Gloves
Enchant: Glove Reinforcements

Waist: Earthbound Girdle of Stamina (+10 Stamina)

Legs: Burnished Legplates of Might
Enchant: Sapphire Spellthread

Feet: Silver-Linked Footguards l Spidersilk Boots

Ring 1: Seal of Argas l Blood Ring

Ring 2: Seal of Argas l Garrosh’s Pardon

Trinket 1: Arena Grand Master l Inherited Mark of Tyranny

Trinket 2: Inherited Insignia of the Alliance/Horde l Arena Grand Master

Main Hand: The Blessed Hammer of Grace
Enchant: Colossus l Mighty Intellect l Spellpower

Shield: l Flamescarred Draconian Deflector l Weathered Observer's Shield l Gold-Plated Buckler l Redbeard Crest
Enchant: Major Stamina
7. Tips

Reckoning (Taunt):This is often an overlooked ability, but it can come in handy. This ability is useful for keeping yourself and rogue in combat.

Be aware of your surroundings: This is one of the most important things as a holy paladin (any healer really). Know who is around you at all times. I would recommend turning on friendly and enemy nameplates.

Spellfaking/Juking: This is something you learn over time. You will get interrupted, it happens to everyone. Most rogues/shamans/mage have interrupt patterns and you will notice them. Use this to your advantage. Don’t get discouraged if you find yourself getting locked out often, it just takes practice.

Don’t be afraid to word of glory (Pursuit of Justice People): Word of glory is still a strong instant heal, don’t be afraid of dropping your PoJ stacks for the heal!

Don’t give up!: You will make mistakes, we all do. It is important you keep a positive attitude and keep trying to improve. The more you work at it the better you’ll get!

8. Macros

Focus Hammer of Justice: /cast [target=focus] Hammer of Justice

Focus Reckoning (Taunt): /cast [target=focus] Reckoning

Stopcasting(This allows you to cancel your cast without moving): /stopcasting

CCd macros These are important for letting your teammates know that you are sitting in a CC when not communicating over Audio:
/s ccd full duration
/s ccd half duration
/s ccd short duration

9. Addons

Battleground Targets

Grid
*I recommend having some sort of second raid frame addon, blizzard raid frames often bug*

Interrupt Bar

OmniCC

10. Final Words

This is where the guide ends, I hope it has helped. If you have any questions, comments, concerns, compliments, criticism, contributions, please feel free to contact me
This guide is up to date as of patch 5.4.
All Ability/Item/Enchant links used are from www.wowhead.com
Big thanks to Aelobin for creating the enchants spreadshee
t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 19 Holy Paladin Guide

Approved. Keep this updated, send a message to an Admin for your extra bubble or tag.

In-depth guide, I enjoy this. It almost makes me want to re-roll it is that good'a guide. Keep up the good work with this guide. 10/10. The layout is simple, and yet, efficient. When you make a point you have evidence to back it up; such as the Talents.

So if you were not to transfer for double Seal of Argas as an Alliance, Seal/Lorekeeper's is BiS?

Last edited by a moderator:

id say solid bronze ring is gr8 for ally only hpal 1 stam 3 crit > 4 int imo

id say solid bronze ring is gr8 for ally only hpal 1 stam 3 crit > 4 int imo
Good point, I had completely forgotten about this ring. Adding it.

I'd say add Bristlebark gloves as an alternative option for FCing IMO. It gives 3 more stam at the cost of around 40 armor, which is good against casters since they ignore armor.
I was meaning to add those, thanks for reminding me!

Doesn't look like there will be any holy paladin changes in 5.3, but this could always change. Also blizzard is releasing BoA justice shields in 5.3.

Up to date
BoA shields are bis for fcing

Weather Observer's Shield
781 Armor
5 Stamina
3 Int
3 Spirit

Flamescarred Draconian Deflector
781 Armor
5 Stamina
3 Strength
3 Parry

Compared to

Redbeard Crest
781 Armor
6 Strength
3 Stamina

Gold-plated buckler
672 Armor
3 Strength
5 Stamina

Up to date
BoA shields are bis for fcing

Weather Observer's Shield
781 Armor
5 Stamina
3 Int
3 Spirit

Flamescarred Draconian Deflector
781 Armor
5 Stamina
3 Strength
3 Parry

Compared to

Redbeard Crest
781 Armor
6 Strength
3 Stamina

Gold-plated buckler
672 Armor
3 Strength
5 Stamina

Arctic Buckler? (GF'd i know)
917 Armor
+3 Stamina
+8 Spirit
+5 Frost Resistance

Arctic Buckler? (GF'd i know)
917 Armor
+3 Stamina
+8 Spirit
+5 Frost Resistance
I would use it vs physical teams, but against caster teams (which most of this bracket consists of) it's inferior to either of the two boa shields.

This has helped me a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread