Lvl 60 Prot Warrior

Zerofoxtrot

Veteran
Looking for advice on how to improve my warriors gear for dungeon tanking. I want to be able to speed run friends, but use my twink instead of a higher level toon. Currently, I have bis for fury, but the gear should be different for prot. I know I should switch out for the engineering trinkets and helm... but what other gear should I have to hit bis for prot? Also, at what point does vers suffer diminishing returns? Should I then begin to stack haste or stamina? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my warrior: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/bleeding-hollow/zerofoxtrot

Looking for advice on how to improve my warriors gear for dungeon tanking. I want to be able to speed run friends, but use my twink instead of a higher level toon. Currently, I have bis for fury, but the gear should be different for prot. I know I should switch out for the engineering trinkets and helm... but what other gear should I have to hit bis for prot? Also, at what point does vers suffer diminishing returns? Should I then begin to stack haste or stamina? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my warrior: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/bleeding-hollow/zerofoxtrot

Shield from Garr procs like 1200 damage for 60s.

Also there is a helm from one of the now level 60 wrath dungeons that might be worth looking into. The thundering meta gem from wrath cuts works for 60s and procs 400 haste

Only upgrades I see other than thunderfury.

Nah you have a lot of work to do. You want thunderfury or antusul for air fights fist of dammed for soloing you need skull flame shield or the eng shield which is BiS you need 2 pieces dungeon set from vanilla for 200 armor maxed engineering and 2 of the boom box trinket from that you could also use the relic coffer neck with 26 stamina and maybe some other stuff I’m forgetting

Nah you have a lot of work to do. You want thunderfury or antusul for air fights fist of dammed for soloing you need skull flame shield or the eng shield which is BiS you need 2 pieces dungeon set from vanilla for 200 armor maxed engineering and 2 of the boom box trinket from that you could also use the relic coffer neck with 26 stamina and maybe some other stuff I’m forgetting

I disagree on duel sonic boosters. Heart of Wyrn + ramen is way better setup with tanks lack of damage output.

Also the shield from engineering and skull flame both have a lot less damage on proc than Garr shield proc

I disagree on duel sonic boosters. Heart of Wyrn + ramen is way better setup with tanks lack of damage output.

Also the shield from engineering and skull flame both have a lot less damage on proc than Garr shield proc
garr shield never procs it’s pretty bad and the proc from sonic booster is insane dmg but for the setup I listed you need all of those items cuz they all work together in tandom more efficiently

There were lots of good suggestions here. Then some that just seemed to be biased towards gear they have lol.

I have the skullflame and engi shields, but they don’t ever seem to proc. Neither did the Garr shield. I went with malistars simply for the versatility and ilvl. If I’m never getting procs, it seemed I might as well stack stats. If the shields do proc, then maybe I should test them more.

The wrath helm w/ haste meta is something I’ve been looking into, but haven’t seen much for its results at 60. I know it’s working at 70.

The chest is an upgrade. For some reason I thought they had the same stats, just different gem bonuses. Appreciate that one for sure.

For weapons, I have the hand, wraithscythe, and fist of the damned. Saying I need thunderfury like I can just pick it up at the AH is a cruel joke. I am working on it though.

Is the +200 armor from belt+wrist bonus worth the 40 vers and ilvl loss? Not sure how armor does at 60. I’ll collect them just to be sure lol.

Nobody covered stats though. People seem to be all over the place with how they gem and enchant. Are there baselines that I haven’t seen? I was under the impression versatility reduced damage taken, but I see people stacking strength... anyone know the %s I should be looking for?

There were lots of good suggestions here. Then some that just seemed to be biased towards gear they have lol.

I have the skullflame and engi shields, but they don’t ever seem to proc. Neither did the Garr shield. I went with malistars simply for the versatility and ilvl. If I’m never getting procs, it seemed I might as well stack stats. If the shields do proc, then maybe I should test them more.

The wrath helm w/ haste meta is something I’ve been looking into, but haven’t seen much for its results at 60. I know it’s working at 70.

The chest is an upgrade. For some reason I thought they had the same stats, just different gem bonuses. Appreciate that one for sure.

For weapons, I have the hand, wraithscythe, and fist of the damned. Saying I need thunderfury like I can just pick it up at the AH is a cruel joke. I am working on it though.

Is the +200 armor from belt+wrist bonus worth the 40 vers and ilvl loss? Not sure how armor does at 60. I’ll collect them just to be sure lol.

Nobody covered stats though. People seem to be all over the place with how they gem and enchant. Are there baselines that I haven’t seen? I was under the impression versatility reduced damage taken, but I see people stacking strength... anyone know the %s I should be looking for?
vers reduced dmg taken so i imagine tanks have different sets, vers sets for pve or higher level targets that hit harder, and str for most possible dmg as prot // off spec for hellfire pvp, quick fights, and bursts

Shields do proc, and I get plenty of Garr shield procs

Wrath meta haste proc gem works fine for my 60 rogue and 60 hunter.

Go with braces and belt. Gloves from blood furnace with tier belt is better than ramps belt with tier gloves stat wise. Make sure you go lightforged though.

Don’t let anyone tell you that naglering and heart of wyrm aren’t BIS. I can see where 2 sonic boosters would be nice, but the proc on heart + proc chance is too great to pass up.

so 200 armor is physical damage reduction where as vers is all damage reduction

so 200 armor is physical damage reduction where as vers is all damage reduction
So, is 200 armor better than 40 versatility and 20 ilvls? It seems pretty close to me...

200 armor is 8.41% Physical Damage Reduction for a level 60 warrior and since they removed the "Get 1 AP for every point of armor you have" -ability armor is less useful now. With that said, I still use the set when tanking because I feel like having ~5+ mobs get a 8% damage reduction against you in AoE is pretty good.
Thundering Skyflare Diamond's proc is really good. I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but it is really fun to play with.
Drillborer Disk, Naglering and Heart of Wyrmthalak are excellent additions to your damage and the only thing you really have to do is to get hit or hit others. They do loads of damage as well.
Mark of the Dragon Lord is really good as Fury or Arms, but not as good as Prot since you are planning to take damage as Prot, usually. However, it isn't bad since it is a 1k absorb on a 1-minute CD.
Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is really good. It's so good that it is also worth using as Fury on AoE. (Spam that Whirlwind, yo)
Now, on the topic of Versatility. I am not sure what to do with it yet. I've been running loads of dungeons and I find I survive easier when I stack it but the mobs die so much slower than if I go with my Strength gear (Which is somewhat obvious since less Strength means that each point of Versatility does less for the damage), so I take more total damage in my Versatility gear but I do not "HP-spike" as much. Versatility also isn't as good for a Warrior than for any other tank with more self-healing.

If I get a good healer while running randoms I usually go Fury-tank and spam Whirlwind/Piercing Howl. (On bosses/single-target I switch to either Protection or Arms, depending on the boss)

With all that said I'd rather take Strength over Versatility since in my full Versatility gear I only get around 20% damage reduction and Strength makes the runs more fun and a lot faster. ilvl means nothing to me, since I do nearly no PvP anymore. Experiment with some proc. items, since some of them are really broken. (I'm looking at you Ramstein's Lightning Bolts)

And ask me anything if you want to. I am always happy to talk about 60 warrior twinks.

Last edited:
200 armor is 8.41% Physical Damage Reduction for a level 60 warrior and since they removed the "Get 1 AP for every point of armor you have" -ability armor is less useful now. With that said, I still use the set when tanking because I feel like having ~5+ mobs get a 8% damage reduction against you in AoE is pretty good.
Thundering Skyflare Diamond's proc is really good. I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but it is really fun to play with.
Drillborer Disk, Naglering and Heart of Wyrmthalak are excellent additions to your damage and the only thing you really have to do is to get hit or hit others. They do loads of damage as well.
Mark of the Dragon Lord is really good as Fury or Arms, but not as good as Prot since you are planning to take damage as Prot, usually. However, it isn't bad since it is a 1k absorb on a 1-minute CD.
Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker is really good. It's so good that it is also worth using as Fury on AoE. (Spam that Whirlwind, yo)
Now, on the topic of Versatility. I am not sure what to do with it yet. I've been running loads of dungeons and I find I survive easier when I stack it but the mobs die so much slower than if I go with my Strength gear (Which is somewhat obvious since less Strength means that each point of Versatility does less for the damage), so I take more total damage in my Versatility gear but I do not "HP-spike" as much. Versatility also isn't as good for a Warrior than for any other tank with more self-healing.

If I get a good healer while running randoms I usually go Fury-tank and spam Whirlwind/Piercing Howl. (On bosses/single-target I switch to either Protection or Arms, depending on the boss)

With all that said I'd rather take Strength over Versatility since in my full Versatility gear I only get around 20% damage reduction and Strength makes the runs more fun and a lot faster. ilvl means nothing to me, since I do nearly no PvP anymore. Experiment with some proc. items, since some of them are really broken. (I'm looking at you Ramstein's Lightning Bolts)

And ask me anything if you want to. I am always happy to talk about 60 warrior twinks.
Yeah with all the stuff we listed it’s best to go strength stacked to kill things faster, because you won’t really be in danger of dying with stuff like fist of the damned skull flame shield and 200 armor bonus; it’s best to just push out as much damage as possible with strength.

200+ armor is 12.69%

That sounds more like it. On a side note, just scooped 2 piece shadowcraft on rogue and it gives 200 armor. It used to not, only for brew monks and guardian druids. Now it works for all leather who can use it.

200+ armor is 12.69%

At 490 armor I have 39.61% Physical Damage Reduction and at 690 armor I have 48.02% Physical Damage Reduction as a level 60 Warrior. Is there a diminishing returns on Armor or are your calculations wrong perhaps?

Last edited:
At 490 armor I have 39.61% Physical Damage Reduction and at 690 armor I have 48.02% Physical Damage Reduction as a level 60 Warrior. Is there a diminishing returns on Armor or are your calculations wrong perhaps?
This^^
If armor and (potentially) vers have diminishing returns, then that would be nice to know. Maybe there’s a “best” balance between damage taken reduction and damage output increase. Has anyone crunched any numbers or is all of our information still “what it feels like is happening” for different warriors?

This^^
If armor and (potentially) vers have diminishing returns, then that would be nice to know. Maybe there’s a “best” balance between damage taken reduction and damage output increase. Has anyone crunched any numbers or is all of our information still “what it feels like is happening” for different warriors?

I checked and there is diminishing returns on armor. At 268 total Armor I get 26.40% Physical Damage Reduction which is quite more than the gain in my other post. I also checked Versatility and it had no diminishing returns, just like Haste and Critical Strike. I feel like if Warrior had constant self-healing Versatility would be the best stat, but right now I don't think it beats Strength.

Users who are viewing this thread