EU+US looting change for F2P?

just now in the barrens, saw a 110 killing the level-80 mobs there, i asked if i could join. told him i would like to try and get a bag and pet. he was killing mobs motes of harmony, cloth, greens, he turned off auto loot. mobs that were dead, i was getting nothing money wise, and unable to loot or see anything. i asked him what is loot set at, he checked, said personal. i asked to be made leader temp to check, when i was leader i noticed there are no longer loot option selections...loot was fixed at personal.

have not played my trail account in a long time, anyone know if it's just these mobs, or are F2P blocked from looting mobs above certain levels farmed by higher level players?

Not just a 2p bug, paid accounts are also affected by this

Mobs skulled to a player became unlootable once 7.0.3 had hit. Occasionally you can loot a mob , but im not sure how to reproduce that. Their interns most likely screwed up somewhere, especially knowing how blizz does its workarounds and band aid fixes in its other games( as in adding lines and lines of coding ontop of everything else until it becomes a garbled mess) something probably went kaput. Or maybe it was intentional who knows

Anyways not like they care about anything sub 110 and im getting offtopic...so.. gl.

I'll share some additional observations I've found regarding this topic, which mostly reinforces what's shared already:

I recently took my ol' f2p ret paladin up to the Eastern Plaguelands (re-exploring, amongst other reasons) and solo-killed some of the mobs up there while traveling. Humanoid mobs dropped nothing [nothing at all], though the various beast mobs had a chance to drop grey-quality trash items, and occasionally (though rarely) a white-quality item, mostly something that could be a mat for cooking or something.

After finding this topic, I took my Horde f2p hunter down to the southern barrens to check and confirm (with multiple dozens or a 100 kills as a sample). Pattern almost everywhere there was much like in the Eastern plaguelands on my paladin (nothing from humanoids, occasional trash items from beasts, almost no whites or none), and I even found and killed a beast rare mob, which gave no loot at all.
There was an exception though: non-pvp-flagged alliance humanoids in the Southern Barrens that were at the border between Northern and Southern Barrens within the white stone walls, adjacent to a river that borders the two zones. Most there were skull level to me (though were mostly level 30 range or very close to it), though I was able to loot silken cloths amongst multiple other things, including a elixir of giant growth recipe and a green level 27 gear. Similar deal with the raptors near there (specifically the raptors that looked similar to the raptors in the Northern Barrens but higher level. The different looking raptors within the mini-forest was like the beasts elsewhere), which mostly yielded trash and raptor eggs and meat, and another elixir of giant growth recipe. These last ones I mentioned were the only possible counterexamples to the pattern observed in eastern plaguelands and elsewhere in the southern barrens.

Also: hostile mobs appear skulled if they're either 10 or more levels higher than your toon. Neutral but attackable mob levels will be seeable even if they're attacked, though the loot rules remain the same as with a hostile mob of a similar high level.

not sure if it still works, but when 7.0 launched, you couldnt change loot option from 5 man party but you could change to raid group, change loot option to group loot, then change back to party and the loot option stays

was farming rares, level 20 near a level 98 rare, killed rare with my 110
We both where in group but the level 20 coldn't loot the rare.

I was farming that rare and talking to a GM in-game when i was waiting for the rare.
Contacted the GM for an issue with a payment, but i then killed the rare and asked the GM why i coldn't loot the rare.

GM told me that the level 20 wasn't on the 'loot list', so i tried hitting the rare with the Red Rider Air Rifle and i recived the next loot.

So, next time you want loot, you have to hit the mob. or atleast thats what the GM told me.
That may only happens when there is a big level diffrence, my twink was 20, and the rare 98.
The GM said the game isn't made for boosting your character that way.

I would like to add some information here (I am doing raids with my community, and I would like to find some bosses that could drop something interesting)

Before 7.0.3, I went sometimes to timeless isle and there the mobs that my lvl 100 friend killed were lootable for me (as any other skull -> for example pandaria toys, etc), and I get a lot of coins. But after this date, rarely they were lootable. And neither any other skull mobs. I dont know if its a bug, or if it has any % for be lootable by a lvl 20, ...

I tried to put raid mode with a lvl 110 friend, and while killing mobs, we change the loot options (personal, free, group...), but nothing happened in all attemps that we tried. When I was alone, or with help but without group, normally, I wasnt able to loot.

Sometimes I have looted items from skulls around the three worlds, but I would not know to say why or where exactly. We have to study which npcs has a +50% loot for lvls 20.

I would be pleased if someone tell us more about it, like @Vandiir .

Edit: I have remember that some months ago, I was with a lvl 110 friend at timeless isle, killing monkeys under the sea to get a key for open a chest and get a toy. I was able to look the key after 100 monkeys more or less (but my friend saw the key there like 60 times, and I wasnt able to loot it)

Last edited:
Not sure if you have to hit it, or hit hit it, like dealing 1 dmg with the rifle
No, it is different. Low levels does not seem to be eligible to same loot as high level players.
From my tests i can say that even if you loot mob on low level sometimes - you will only get trash greys.
For example i could sometime loot http://www.wowhead.com/npc=89746/blackfang-prowler but never gotten any http://www.wowhead.com/item=124099/blackfang-claw at 20.

You still can change looting rules with script and it will show you " party loot " or " master loot " but it will not matter.
Something is changed on core level when it comes to looting skull mobs. Intentional or not.

All this level based restrictions are shame and counterproductive for whole game really.

No, it is different. Low levels does not seem to be eligible to same loot as high level players.
From my tests i can say that even if you loot mob on low level sometimes - you will only get trash greys.
For example i could sometime loot http://www.wowhead.com/npc=89746/blackfang-prowler but never gotten any http://www.wowhead.com/item=124099/blackfang-claw at 20.

You still can change looting rules with script and it will show you " party loot " or " master loot " but it will not matter.
Something is changed on core level when it comes to looting skull mobs. Intentional or not.

All this level based restrictions are shame and counterproductive for whole game really.

Maybe i can manipulate that by using bypassing some client side server checks.
That means hacking, so who knows we can find some vulnerabilitys in the new loot system.

You can't loot mobs way above your level, I was killing some level 35 rares in stranglethorn on my 19 and the game wouldn't give me any loot, it's the same for exp gains, after a certain amount of levels above yours the mobs will give 0 exp, doesn't matter if you're geared enough to easily kill something with 20 levels on you, you get no reward for doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread