Looking to improve my rogue gameplay

handsomedgc

Scum of the earth

This is my third game as a rogue in the 20-29 bracket and the teams we're pretty balanced. Was wondering if I have any major flaws in movement/overall gameplay. If you can chime in on what I could do better in some situations please say so. I know I lack addons, just did a fresh WoW install.

I didn't cut out the boring parts, I've just sped it up to x6.

Would you be able to link your chars armory? There could be pointers on gear too.

What I notice from watching a few minutes is that your out of stealth a lot. Rogues best asset is their stuns especially in the vet bracket. I would also recommend using mouseover macros for ur between the eyes, pistol shot, and kick as well as a focus kick/between the eyes. These just overall improve gameplay.

I would also recommend when ur in tunnel in wsg to walk along the sides instead of straight down tunnel. Most hunters just blatantly throw a trap in the middle for an easy catch.

I’d also invest in speed pots, first winds, bandages, and other consumables because they can be game changers vs efcs etc. You’re good at prioritizing fc and overall positioning so you don’t die. But I would practice prioritizing cc and stealth over actual pure damage esp in premades a rogues location is game changing. So keeping Efc unaware of where u are is quite beneficial.

I can link some rogue guides when I’m at my computer. There’s some for every bracket. And even tho the skills are different the play style is the same

Would you be able to link your chars armory? There could be pointers on gear too.

What I notice from watching a few minutes is that your out of stealth a lot. Rogues best asset is their stuns especially in the vet bracket. I would also recommend using mouseover macros for ur between the eyes, pistol shot, and kick as well as a focus kick/between the eyes. These just overall improve gameplay.

I would also recommend when ur in tunnel in wsg to walk along the sides instead of straight down tunnel. Most hunters just blatantly throw a trap in the middle for an easy catch.

I’d also invest in speed pots, first winds, bandages, and other consumables because they can be game changers vs efcs etc. You’re good at prioritizing fc and overall positioning so you don’t die. But I would practice prioritizing cc and stealth over actual pure damage esp in premades a rogues location is game changing. So keeping Efc unaware of where u are is quite beneficial.

I can link some rogue guides when I’m at my computer. There’s some for every bracket. And even tho the skills are different the play style is the same
Thanks for the tips, armory link is in the video description. Tunnel tip is gonna give me alot of joy :)

There’s a few things you could improve gear wise. Idk how glasscannon you want to go, but there’s epic boes you can get like Slicers Blade, Boarhide leggings, Feathered Headdress, and Boulder Pads which would all improve your overall stats. You could also enchant the pants with a leg enchant vs yours which currently doesn’t have one.

I would also get parachute cloak and I’m not sure if u have a 120 or not be there’s an 8 agility trinket you could use.

I see that you have Soothsayer, and idk if you have or haven’t finished questing yet but there’s some good guides on rogue quests too. I’d follow that and if u were willing to faction do that as well.

Here’s a link to a thread where I posted previously hyperlinks to guides:
https://xpoff.com/threads/help-me-with-my-rogue-please.84214/#post-1154665
My rogue is still in progress; however, if u want a point of reference the armory link is in my sig.

I’d also invest in speed pots, first winds, bandages, and other consumables because they can be game changers vs efcs etc.
@handsomedgc definitely don't do this. Bandages, food buffs and the alchemist flask are fine, but speed pots/first wind/saltwater/bombs are only means to make up for ur own bad gameplay. If you don't have to rely on this shit to win then you'll become a much better player overall.

@handsomedgc definitely don't do this. Bandages, food buffs and the alchemist flask are fine, but speed pots/first wind/saltwater/bombs are only means to make up for ur own bad gameplay. If you don't have to rely on this shit to win then you'll become a much better player overall.
Didn't plan on using those crutches

Very true point. I haven’t been in a game since patch so my playstyle is still a little consumable heavy to overcompensate vs 29 premades as a solo queuing 20 rogue haha. Chainz is right tho, especially with it now being a bracket of pretty much f2ps and vets.

idk if addons help w/ this but run mid @ start and figure out who's running adaptation by sapping everything that moves

make binds for target arena 123, arena 1 and 2 can be used to target enemy and friendly flag carriers, if you have nameplates showing you'll know where they are at all times(lets you quickly deduce if theyre going tunnel or ramp, etc) -- bind interact with mouseover or w/e to scroll wheel and abuse 1s incap frag bomb(30eng req) for the free return/repick

whenever youre engaging in a group fight that has an enemy healer or carry prioritize getting the sap on em before they enter combat and watch closely for trinket, if they dont trinket continue sapping until the dr is used up -- following this w/ cheap shot and build up cp for a between the eyes -- basically make sure they can't play the game and prioritize that over damage

after sap spam and cheap shotting transition from the healer back to your group while using pistol shot to get cp and gauge whether it's worth to dr ranged stun the healer or any over extending targets near your group

try to be in a neutral position for most of the game and react accordingly to O and D -- use ur noggin

also...mortal wounds on sub is underrated for FC killing w/ stacks

1) Get BGE (BattleGroundEnemies) addon.

It's an addon everyone uses, and it's simply too good to not have. Being able to track who has trinket, as well as just being able to tab through everyone on the enemy team to know who is where and doing what at all times is just way too good of a game mechanic to not use.

2) Have raid frames. You don't even know who's alive or dead on your team.

3) On your first sap the priest chooses to trinket your sap. You don't keep a healthy distance vs a target (priest in this case) that actually has an AoE (fear) that can pull you out. Always keep a healthy distance when sapping such targets so that you don't get pulled out randomly. When sapping someone with trinket, and without sap dr's, spam sap a little to catch their trinket if they choose to trinket. Sap went through a change where it won't actually dr your sap unless the target is at the point, or below, the remaining time of the following dr. So just to clearify, your initial sap (8 seconds) won't dr until the point where there is 4 seconds left (4 seconds is the next "level" of dr). This is a fool proof method of sapping trinkets, and it's actually retarded. Way too good of a mechanic to not be abusing it.

Because you don't have BGE, I can't actually see what the enemy team comp is, but depending on teams, being in mid for long periods of time can hurt your effectiveness. The only reason for rogues to be in mid comes down to a few factors.

-Your team CANNOT win mid without you, BUT IF YOU HELP, then winning mid is a reality. This usually comes down to team comps and who's playing. helping to win mid as a rogue usually comes down to utilizing your toolkit very well, and being very disruptive. Sap a target, cheap another, kick a third etc. A momentum like that for your team to ride on is huge.

-Your FC has NO TROUBLE picking on his own. They don't have any classes that poses as a potential threat on D (other rogues, boomkins in stealth etc.)

-Your FC DOES NOT NEED HELP CROSSING.

-EFC IS NOT IN A POSITION TO PICK. If EFC gets pick while you're out in mid doing random things, he doesn't have to worry about a sap, and feels a little more safe and can maybe find a potential window for a cross.

If you can cross these things off, then you're pretty much free to play mid during those timing windows.

4) After the initial mid fight YOU WASTE A LOT OF TIME. You kind of run around, not knowing what to do. You're not in an objective spot, you're kinda just looking around. Again, BGE would make this a lot easier for you. Your time as rogue is very precious, because every time you're doing NOTHING, some mongo dps on the enemy team is doing SOMETHING. Either look to get some saps, look for EFC, help someone get pick or use the time to communicate for some objectives.

Both teams get pick rather early, and you're not looking to set up a play to sap EFC on cross, or assisting your own on getting him across. These things should have priority. It's always a decision to make in a double pick situation. Can your FC manage fine? Okay, then you look to set up something on EFC. Your FC can't cross without you? Ok you help him. Does a neutral situation benefit your team (i.e. both FC's cross mid respectively)? Ok you help your FC cross.

A situation where a neutral position is beneficial to your team is when your team is actually better set up for high stack plays. I.e. enemy team lacks classes and healer variations to deal with a stealth offense etc.

5) You're not respecting hunters at all. Track Hidden is retarded, and you should really respect it. Any good hunter will pull you like candy if you walk up to them like you don't care.

6) After all that kinda went down, your team lost pick and you kind of open on a mage. That mage being dead is of WAY less value than you being able to set up something for your team since your team lost pick, and EFC is looking to cross. Because of that decision, not only do you give up your whereabouts and positional advantage (that you could have had), you actually end up dying for it as well, which is really unfortunate in your teams current position at this given moment in time, and that eventually leads to Horde being up 1 cap.

7) When you're going on O, don't sap targets randomly because you feel like it (like the druid running down tunnel). This is a dead give-away of your current intentions and movements. Instead, doing nothing will keep your enemies in a guessing game on whether you look to play D for a little while, or whether you're lurking on O. Good opponents will respect lack of information, and that sort of pressure is actually real, believe it or not, because the enemy team has to respect both options. So only sap when the sap gives you real value.

8) Patience is virtue. Because you don't have BGE, you're not checking through the enemy team, noticing that a player is actually in stealth. Like the enemy team has to respect you when you're in stealth, you have to respect them when they are, because you don't know if they are on D, like the druid was for instance in this clip. Instead communicate with your team to set up an offense, or wait for stacks.

A good rule of thumb is to try and get as much information as possible (again, BGE is handy), to see if you're more needed on D than O as the "neutral" game unfolds. A lot of good rogue plays comes down to those key decisions of where to be and what to do.

9) You're tab-targeting a lot to do your CC on non main targets. I would recommend some focus macro'ing or mouseovers. Whatever you feel more comfortable doing. It will make your gameplay a lot more fluent, and you won't lose any up-time.

10) Like a lot of players in this game, you're very jump happy. Everyone loves to mash the shit out of their space key, I get it. But it's actually not helpful. A jump gives you momentum, making you travel in a direction YOU CANNOT REACTIONARY CHANGE. It can be useful when jumping a slow to shorten a gap, or to kite. But when you randomly jump around, the enemy can abuse that non-changing momentum to create gap for themselves to kite with. So it's a bad habit really. Stick on your target, only jump when it's useful, else it can hurt you.

11) Take bodies. Don't be a slacker. Body-resses are sometimes game-changing.

A really good thing I noticed, is that when you killed EFC, and your team was in a favorable position to pick, you actually stayed around their GY for a while, delaying their pick by spam sapping the EFC.

A lot of things will improve naturally as you simply play the game and get put into the same situations more and more. A simple thing as BGE will improve your gameplay a lot as well overall.

Hope it didn't come down as a bash, but you asked for some constructive criticism, and I provided some for the more obvious things that stood out.

Last edited:
1) Get BGE (BattleGroundEnemies) addon.

It's an addon everyone uses, and it's simply too good to not have. Being able to track who has trinket, as well as just being able to tab through everyone on the enemy team to know who is where and doing what at all times is just way too good of a game mechanic to not use.

2) Have raid frames. You don't even know who's alive or dead on your team.

3) On your first sap the priest chooses to trinket your sap. You don't keep a healthy distance vs a target (priest in this case) that actually has an AoE (fear) that can pull you out. Always keep a healthy distance when sapping such targets so that you don't get pulled out randomly. When sapping someone with trinket, and without sap dr's, spam sap a little to catch their trinket if they choose to trinket. Sap went through a change where it won't actually dr your sap unless the target is at the point, or below, the remaining time of the following dr. So just to clearify, your initial sap (8 seconds) won't dr until the point where there is 4 seconds left (4 seconds is the next "level" of dr). This is a fool proof method of sapping trinkets, and it's actually retarded. Way too good of a mechanic to not be abusing it.

Because you don't have BGE, I can't actually see what the enemy team comp is, but depending on teams, being in mid for long periods of time can hurt your effectiveness. The only reason for rogues to be in mid comes down to a few factors.

-Your team CANNOT win mid without you, BUT IF YOU HELP, then winning mid is a reality. This usually comes down to team comps and who's playing. helping to win mid as a rogue usually comes down to utilizing your toolkit very well, and being very disruptive. Sap a target, cheap another, kick a third etc. A momentum like that for your team to ride on is huge.

-Your FC has NO TROUBLE picking on his own. They don't have any classes that poses as a potential threat on D (other rogues, boomkins in stealth etc.)

-Your FC DOES NOT NEED HELP CROSSING.

-EFC IS NOT IN A POSITION TO PICK. If EFC gets pick while you're out in mid doing random things, he doesn't have to worry about a sap, and feels a little more safe and can maybe find a potential window for a cross.

If you can cross these things off, then you're pretty much free to play mid during those timing windows.

4) After the initial mid fight YOU WASTE A LOT OF TIME. You kind of run around, not knowing what to do. You're not in an objective spot, you're kinda just looking around. Again, BGE would make this a lot easier for you. Your time as rogue is very precious, because every time you're doing NOTHING, some mongo dps on the enemy team is doing SOMETHING. Either look to get some saps, look for EFC, help someone get pick or use the time to communicate for some objectives.

Both teams get pick rather early, and you're not looking to set up a play to sap EFC on cross, or assisting your own on getting him across. These things should have priority. It's always a decision to make in a double pick situation. Can your FC manage fine? Okay, then you look to set up something on EFC. Your FC can't cross without you? Ok you help him. Does a neutral situation benefit your team (i.e. both FC's cross mid respectively)? Ok you help your FC cross.

A situation where a neutral position is beneficial to your team is when your team is actually better set up for high stack plays. I.e. enemy team lacks classes and healer variations to deal with a stealth offense etc.

5) You're not respecting hunters at all. Track Hidden is retarded, and you should really respect it. Any good hunter will pull you like candy if you walk up to them like you don't care.

6) After all that kinda went down, your team lost pick and you kind of open on a mage. That mage being dead is of WAY less value than your being able to set up something for your team since your team lost pick, and EFC is looking to cross. Because of that decision, not only do you give up your whereabouts and positional advantage (that you could have had), you actually end up dying for it as well, which is really unfortunate in your teams current position at this given moment in time, and that eventually leads to Horde being up 1 cap.

7) When you're going on O, don't sap targets randomly because you feel like it (like the druid running down tunnel). This is a dead give-away of your current intentions and movements. Instead, doing nothing will keep your enemies in a guessing game on whether you look to play D for a little while, or whether you're lurking on O. Good opponents will respect lack of information, and that sort of pressure is actually real, believe it or not, because the enemy team has to respect both options. So only sap when the sap gives you real value.

8) Patience is virtue. Because you don't have BGE, you're not checking through the enemy team, noticing that a player is actually in stealth. Like the enemy team has to respect you when you're in stealth, you have to respect them when they are, because you don't know if they are on D, like the druid was for instance in this clip. Instead communicate with your team to set up an offense, or wait for stacks.

A good rule of thumb is to try and get as much information as possible (again, BGE is handy), to see if you're more needed on D than O as the "neutral" game unfolds. A lot of good rogue plays comes down to those key decisions of where to be and what to do.

9) You're tab-targeting a lot to do your CC on non main targets. I would recommend some focus macro'ing or mouseovers. Whatever you feel more comfortable doing. It will make your gameplay a lot more fluent, and you won't lose any up-time.

10) Like a lot of players in this game, you're very jump happy. Everyone loves to mash the shit out of their space key, I get it. But it's actually not helpful. A jump gives you momentum, making you travel in a direction YOU CANNOT REACTIONARY CHANGE. It can be useful when jumping a slow to shorten a gap, or to kite. But when you randomly jump around, the enemy can abuse that non-changing momentum to create gap for themselves to kite with. So it's a bad habit really. Stick on your target, only jump when it's useful, else it can hurt you.

11) Take bodies. Don't be a slacker. Body-resses are sometimes game-changing.

A really good thing i noticed, is that when you killed EFC, and your team was in a favorable position to pick, you actually stayed around their GY for a while, delaying their pick by spam sapping the EFC.

A lot of things will improve naturally as you simply play the game and get put into the same situations more and more. A simple thing as BGE will improve your gameplay a lot as well overall.

Hope it didn't come down as a bash, but you asked for some constructive criticism, and I provided some for the more obvious things that stood out.

Thanks for taking your time for this response. I feel like you showed a lot of flaws in my gameplay, and points to improve on. Respect that you guys wasted time to watch my gameplay x]

all I would add is that I think you're under-utilizing the utility of the class. You kind of remind me of someone playing like an old school 19 rogue.. Outlaw has so much utility, and the class really really is not just about the "burst out of stealth" thang.

As others have mentioned, sap as CC is super important. It's long, it's obnoxious, it has 10,000 applications. Killing or at least ruining the day of a healer is one of the absolute most useful things you can ever be doing as a rogue. There's a lot of ways to go about it- denying them a mid cross, killing them, chain CCing them- but it's one the most important things you can do, and you do it very well.

Outlaw is also fantastic at peeling. There's one situation early in the clip where your healer is trying to outrun a warrior, and if you pistoled him, it would've been very easy for them. That was also when you were hopping around eating dots and, well, not really doing anything. But not just that- you can be extremely effective keeping multiple enemies off a moving FC.

With the hunter and mage on your FC, you would probably be better off cheap shotting the hunter (who can chain slow) and kicking and/or pistol shotting the mage, who has no way to get back into the fray without blink. If he blinks with pistol shot on him, your FC is still going to outrange him, unless your FC is chain slowed by wing clip. After that, if your FC dies from dots (or the rogue, who you can help peel too) before reaching a healer, you can easily repick at nearly full health, carry towards a healer, and go from there. At that point, others have said you missed the chance to repick or help on EFC.. But imo, it wasn't a failed pick if you had peeled well. That's sort of thing, like was said... make a choice, and do it well.. Escort, or reposition. You basically failed to do either.

Also, be very conscious of your spacing as a rogue. You're fundamentally immobile, and so, hopping around trying to lose attention/combat is really only useful against melee classes. It sort of worked out for you, but in general it is better to keep pressing on casters because you're going to be in their range or at least dotspammed either way. In the first fight, you back off, but why? You're receiving very steady heals and you're in a position to start beating up and, and chain CCing, their healer- and you back off into the rogue dead zone where you aren't getting back to stealth, but you aren't getting in damage.

Another small but still somewhat useful thing is to consider the duration on HOTs and shields on enemy healers. You can use sap to put someone in incap long enough for all of their heals to wear off before opening with cheap shot. Most useful on resto druids (who have very strong hots) and disc priests (PW:S)

As others have said, CC one and kill the other is a useful/important strat.

This one is very nitpicky, but I feel that shadowmeld is more useful for getting out of things than dropping focus. People loooooove to kill rogues, and as soon as you're back a lot of the time they will just keep on whacking you. Shadowmelding a long cast time ability, shadowmelding a chain spell like mind flay at the right time, these are uses that will never not be effective. For example, on the roof, your shadowmeld could've just led to a mind flay and you being murdered/given a very hard time if you were against a superior player. If you just ran as far as you could before melding- even if he had casted mind flay, you could've melded it and easily escaped.

The first time you died push druid/priest, I feel you were overusing the cheeky "restealth with dots on me" strat and underusing the "just run away" strat. You had no kill potential so you really didn't gain much from not choosing to try running away. It's a nice strat, but it's only useful when it's useful. In general, as a rogue you always have to value your life- by extension, dropping stealth- by extension, not getting a restealth- very seriously... Because you are slow and important, coming back just flat out sucks.

Hope nothing came off as mean spirited... I'm nowhere near perfect... Just treating this like a VOD review :]

Oh yeah, also: Bandages. Mageweave or Heavy runecloth. Absolute lifesavers.

(very sorry for the wall of text)

Last edited:
Been playing the last and trying to improve on these point:
Be more in stealth
Use sap correct
Don't give away my position as much
Less autistic jumping (Holy shit I do this alot)
Trying to set-up openings for my team
Abuse pistolshot alot more
Turn on raidframes (Does anyone know why/how this needs to be done at the start of every battleground?!)

I also installed some add-ons. These are real life savers. Seeing other players DR/trinkets makes life alot easier. The addons I now (try to) use are BGE and NameplateCooldowns.

I strive to become one of the best rogues in the bracket, even if it is a big task. I don't expect to become it the next week, but with grinding, focusing on improving and tips from great rogues like @Bestworld it would be achieveable at the end of BfA.

Would love to get some more feedback on one of my more recent battlegrounds. Even if it's a tie I still think I made a difference:

I have mained rogue for a long time in this bracket in the past expansions so here are some of my pointers. I have just returned briefly to test the waters again. Below are some wsg strategies seeing as those are what you are playing.
1) Starting off, I think at the beginning you should try to sap their most like to be fc (if you know them by name or most of the time their druids). And keep him sapped 3x. if you are experienced enough you can get a sap on someone else near them (for a second or 2) and swap back to the fc. this could just put their trinket on cooldown which will help.
Think of it this way: if they cant pick the flag and carry it across, they cannot win. So by sapping their fc it delays that. They could of course work around by getting someone else to pick, which would cause a pass to happen and an opportunity for you to interrupt the pass.
Sapping their fc is always the most important. Sometimes they have 2 or 3 others circling the sapped fc waiting for it to wear down. So you are essentially stalling 4 people as 1 person.
2) When sapping sap multiple times to re-sap after adaptation or just general trinketing.
3) it isn't always best to open stun on a healer. You could stun their main dps and switch to their healer right away and kick them. This way the silence is enough to kill the healer off and the stun on their dps could save one of your team members.
4) Another strategy of sapping and stalling their fc at the start of the game is to only sap twice. Right after the second sap, move towards your tunnel and wait for DR to wear down to resap again. So you could delay them from grabbing the flag for 8+4 +8+4+2 seconds in total. In fact if you position well enough you can do it again on their way outside of the tunnel. That comes to 8+4+8+4+8+4+2 seconds of delay.
[doublepost=1556057555,1556056217][/doublepost]@Bestworld has a lot of great points. Especially #7. An analogy to that is like playing the roaming role in moba like Dota 2. By not showing and giving away your position, you put fear into the entire enemy team, what if the rogue is near me etc... And as a flag carrier, they will usually click on the rogues battleground profile to see if they are unstealthed. And this is another reason why opening a mid must be crucial decision for you. Is your stun necessary and burst necessary at all? because once their fc knows you position he can move a lot more aggressively.

I'd also like to add that it may be situationally useful to have an easy-access keybind that toggles off and on all nameplates. The nameplates get in the way of flag picks/returns via interact with mouseover. Toggling off nameplates right before a kill on efc could help you get that crucial flag return quicker. You won't be the only one scrolling flags, there are plenty of people that you'll have to outscroll. I'm always searching for that repick off our shit fc that doesn't wanna pass flag. If I get it before you, that's gonna be a big game changer.

Most of the time you should only open when you have someone of your team near, also if your team is super lost and efc Just free crosses triple sapping and getting ahead of enemy efc to re sap buys a lot of time for the team to actually see Whats going on, you never want to open on efc alone if its doble hybrid or healer with him, if it gets to the point no one helps, waiting for 6+ stacks is better for opening; if you Just do damage on efc and stun when he is trying to heal or kite you will kill easier.
You are mostly a setup class so play with your team.

Too much wall of text so I having read this thread through ill say a couple of simple things
1- sap is your strongest spell learning how to best use is huge at this lvl.
2- need to position in fight as well as you can to change targets and kick, tracking multiple casters is paramount to optimal play.
3- never open into a losing fight unless you are doing something important. Just because people around you engage in a bad skirmish does not mean u need to also if it does not turn the skirmish into something you can win. Exceptions can be of you put a key enemy player in gy or separate them from fc w the fight even if you don't win the skirmish you have not wasted ur time.

Rogue can almost uniquely choose to be very efficient with the fights they pick and the dmg they do you. Putting smh into low priority targets usually didn't do anything but boost ur dmg charts.

Edit: I am going to add some stuff that i saw specifically from the vid.
@ 2min u open into a 3v2 to try to save ur FC but you will not ever win that fight especially w EFC+escort incoming and no alliance backup. It would be a better play to stay stealth and either get a full rotation of saps on EFC to give time for a allied FC to pick, or hit 1 sap grab speed in hall and make the pick urself. Being out of stealth meanth that you had no options left to deal with EFC. some idiot will yell at you for not stunning a hunter on them but it is clearly not the play to make.

Around 3min you run into the hall to try to open on EFC. You should never chase EFC into the hall if you stay stealth there then sap @ front of hall you put that EFC in a terrible spot. There is no reason to start ur CC further away from your spawn point. Basically at the entrance to hall is one of the strongest points on the map for your team. This is true because its close to spawn and also because it is harder for an enemy to go unoticed up ramp for a re-pick. If your team has to commit to go back towards the flag room you lose power on the field. Try to cut, call out, and CC EFC your team will get there first unless there is a huge difference in team power.

These things are what i mean by learning to sap well, and being smart about picking your openings, unlike even other stealth classes you lose allot of power outside of your opening so you have to choose right. The other BIG thing, is you need to communicate. In the second pick when EFC went tun you KNEW were the EFC was and you never communicated that information.

7:10- nice LoS sap, learning to stealth and hit stun and sap between dots is pro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread