Leveling "Twink" Lite in the 39 Bracket

Rhorik

Hey all, my first post here even though I've been lurking for awhile. With Shadowlands max level pvp requiring a huge time sink to be competitive that I just don't have, I thought I would give twinking a shot. I had the idea of making "Leveling Twinks", in that I do some ground work with setting up their gear with enchants and everything, then level them till they get out of the intended brackets before making a new one and starting over again. XP would be ON for this experiment.

From research that I did, the best bracket for this was level 39 due to being able to do SoO on mythic. I have tested this, and with about 2 SoO runs I have 90% of the gear I need which is good enough if I will level out of the bracket anyway. Where I am most stuck at is which gems to use.

TBC Heroic gems / Talasites are ideal, but TBC heroic gems take a long time to farm and are not feasible for short term, and Talasites on my server are 5k gold plus which makes them not so great an option either. This leaves me with a few options that I would like input on.

For Str twinks I was thinking +2 Str/2 Stam gems from Wrath. These are like a budget TBC heroic gem, but they give a little bit extra stamina to melee who need more health rather than excess secondary stat. For melee agility twinks (rogue, monk, dh) I was thinking +2 Agi/+2 Stam gems from wrath with the same logic here. Lastly, for a MM hunter I was considering legion Mastery gems since their mastery is so valuable and you can get up to a +6 or +7 gem which i thought might trump the 2/2 gems since extra stamina isn't as precious.

If anyone has tried this or has any additional input on what I have put out there it would be greatly appreciated! As well, I am doing this with a friend and we just run each other through SoO; if anyone wants to join us for BGs or SoO runs so half the gear doesn't go to waste my battletag# is Rhorik#1715 just leave a note about why you are adding me!

5/6 str gems drop rate average 15 pcs per month if you run everyday and 5/6 int drop rate is 10 pcs per month. You need about 26-30 pcs to equip (sometimes you may want to swap gear, I continue farming daily till my character has about 80pcs). lvl30 requires 1 set, lvl35 requires another set.

Agil class has no advantage in 30-39.

SoO gears can be completed in 2 weeks if you run 5man team and exchange loot, but you can be really unlucky and require 1 or 2 more weeks. If you are a perfectionist and wants full ilvl47, expect at least 2 months. If you already have a full set of 5/6 gems (and you ain't a perfectionist) then you can do both mythic and heroic (and even normal) which allows you to complete your SoO gears in a shorter time. The 5/6 gems will compensate the small stat difference between mythic heroic and normal, anyway you are up against lvlers so this small difference doesn't really matter. You should anticipate meeting perfect BIS ilvl47 in the game with xp debuff.

In 30-39, you have to go for 5/6 gems.. I don't see how fun it is without them, so you should gear up before starting to lvl up, if that's what you mean by "twink lvling", which is what I love to do, otherwise it's just lvling with slightly better gears without the "twink" .. It's quite an amount of effort though, I am running 5 dungeon groups daily, 1 str and 4 int.. Each group has one high level that is carrying 3-4 toons that requires the gems. The int drop rates really require some patience.. I farm a lot gems because they are useful even in the 40-49, not BIS but useful.

I'm necroing tf out of this thread, but this twink "lite" is totally possible. I have done it on probably 10-15 toons now. There are two ways to do it. one way is "solo", the other requires a SOO carry.

Solo way: Get to lvl 32 and go to the old cataclysm valor/justice vendors. The justice vendors sell a full set of blues that have a ton of versatility on them (it is gear that used to be equivalent to cata heroics); take this gear and gem it up with either a 2primary/2vers stack to utilize all of that extra vers on the gear, or stack straight primary stat. You can buy a full set from the vendors for about 1000g total this way. Throw enchants on, find a good weapon (or use the weapons from the vendors) and you are like, 90% more geared than every leveler in the bracket.

SOO way: Get to 35, lock exp. Go through SOO mythic with a friend and fill out your gear (as you have done). At this point, you normally will gem straight up primary. +3 or +4 gems. You can try to get the 5/6's but if this is a toon you want to play right away you definitely dont need them. Then, go to shadowmoon valley in WOD and get the elekk tusk trinket, its like a 150 mastery for 15 seconds on use. Pick up a 2nd trinket if you didnt get one in SOO (WOD crafted trinks are op too; the hourglass procs about 130 vers). Use the heirloom neck and ring since they buffed the secondaries on them. Enchant and you're good to go.

The only thing that is going to provide any real challenge with this gear is going to be someone who actually farmed an entire set of 5/6 gems, and normally you can still 2v1 those players. Those players are also extremely rare, i run across them in maybe 1 game out of 20-30 per week.

Here are some examples:

Solo method:
Mkd - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Druid)
Mkr - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Rogue)

SOO Method:
Mkh - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Hunter 1) <- 16k HKS all done from 35-39
Mkh - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Hunter 2)
Mkp - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Paladin)
Mkw - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Warrior)
Mkw - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Warlock)
Mkm - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Mage)
Meehp - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Monk)
Mks - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Shaman)
Ppip - Character (worldofwarcraft.com) (Death knight)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread