EU+US Level up or Reroll?

Hey everyone!

As a long time F2P player (I played since Cata through all expansions, on-and-off, basically on the same characters), I am wondering what's your experience with new expansion: did you mostly just level up or did you create new character and leave the old ones as they were?

The problem I see is that, as pure F2P player, I have all the bags filled with gear and old miscellaneous items that I don't want to delete to make space for new ones and new gear, even thought that means, that I basically don't have access to it ever again. I would rather leave them as they are/were and start fresh on new character, just to PvP. As I understand it, there aren't any GF'd gear that comes even close to new level 20 gear, so I don't see any point in continuing playing on the same character. But maybe I will change my mind about this, when I will miss old characters...

I am just wondering, what's your experience with this?

Best regards!
Thunned

I mean, thats gonna be a personal call. I can give you all the reasons I leveled my twink and make a compelling case for it and Ohti can give you all the reasons he didnt and give you a similarly compelling case.

But you definitely arent going to miss out on any super sick GFd gear if you roll a new toon to keep your old ones "as is". Thats said, F2P can earn enough gold to access void storage (and full bank slots, and reagent bank and 30 slots bags, etc etc etc) now so you can also hang on to all that super sweet nostalgia gear too. I still have all my Legion Invasion event gear tucked away, even though its useless.

My advice? Level a new toon and give 20s a swing. The brackets in a great place right now. And lock your old toons at 10 and kick it with the 10 twinks and see what theyre up to.

Then you can make a call that best fits you and your account when you've got a bit more personal experience with it.

Haha we all have had to consider this.

I basically left all but one of my lvl 20’s at lvl 10 so they got their cool gear and stuff from earlier expansions.

I did however, take my favourite Hunter to level 20, so yeah, deleted a lot of stuff to make room for the new gear.

He’s still got some cool tabards and fishing gear that is useful.

I also made a new toon, DK as we never had access to them before.

That’s what I did. But it will be a personal preference I guess how u proceed.

Either way, have some fun!

If you're pure f2p imo there's no real reason not to level unless you just want a trophy toon. I get not wanting to level (trust me,) but the general ideology of f2p is to push a starter edition account to it's limits, which requires adapting to any new changes like the lvl squish. Not leveling goes against that.

Now, if you're a vet (or any twink level for that matter,) who's more interested in pushing that specific toon to it's limits without leveling it, that also requires you adapt to any new changes like the lvl squish. Leveling goes against that (imo it completely ruins it actually.) Also, if it's something that interests you, not leveling an old 20 back up gives you more GFed swag than you'll get from leveling it back up to 20, in fact, you don't gain any GFed swag at all from leveling, just lose really.

10s are a lot of fun, I'm having more fun with my 10 than I ever had at 20. I recommend giving them a try if you're someone who's interested in twinking, but can do without the PvP. I don't think there's any real reason for a f2p acc to push 10s though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no regrets about leveling my old toon that I've played pretty much constantly since cata when I made it. Is all the rare gear and other stuff that I got over all those years useless? Yes, but its safely locked away in void storage/the bank.

There's nothing that really sets me apart now from other fresh 20s aside from a few more kills and maybe a fancy title or two, but I also like that. Means everyone is mostly on a level playing field now, and in the few days I've been back playing 20s it's been a total blast!

Tldr: 20s are super fun right now, so why not bring along an old friend for the ride?

In my case I leveled up and discovered I could get more bags than before.

Because yes, since 2011 to Shadowlands I never knew how to buy bags at the bank. Now I'm glad to know how...

Levelled up all my alts to 20; now trying to get kit up ILVL 20 - 25, and things like professions up. To be honest, doing too much grinding right now, and zones (Cat, Outland, Northrend) have become a bit 'flabby' - previously I had to be really careful just to stay alive or explore; now I can just wander round at will (and still live). New dungeons are a bit too challenging - I've been getting kicked for incomptence.
Got an enthusiasm boost when I found (expensive) level 34 gear ('min level 20') in Dalaran that would have been a fantastic upgrade. Then bought it and found I couldn't actually use it. So now back to routine stuff, whilst trying to find something inspirationally challenging that I'm not supposed to be doing.
May roll new chars, but will start a new account to keep the old ones. Also means I can run two characters simultaneously for those annoying seasonal quests where you need audience participation.

I levelled all my GF chars to 20 including my Priest with Inferno's Robe, Gravestone Scepter etc. Pre-SL GF gear is gone for level 9 and I doubt they will ever introduce a 9 PvP bracket. That said, as everything is new you may as well just level a new char. I don't think it really makes a difference. I just pre-levelled to 40 for grandfathered 100% mount speed at 19. But now I'm 20 Vet that doesn't matter either.

I lvled my old 39 priest to 20 and my 39 rogue, but I remade a rogue to get a scaled moks and cudgel because my 39 rogues was lvl 17.

Users who are viewing this thread