EU+US Level 20 PvE twinking.

jackblood

Veteran
I know PvE twinking isn’t really a thing at such low levels but I’m doing it because it’s my personal zen garden after long hours at work.

Level 20 is perfect for me because each class gets their main kit and mechanic and nothing else. One action bar of twelve abilities maximum. This satisfies me :D.

My first character is a protection warrior and I’ve been looking to maximize as much as possible.

The Enchants Spreadsheets is my bible.

I’ve read that Enchant Chest: Peerless Stats is the general enchant to use. I thought this meant ALL stats. Turns out it only gives me +2 Strength and +2 Stamina. I’m thinking of changing to the +5 Versatility. Is there any reason to take Peerless Stats anymore?

Another observation: Since Spirit was changed to Versatility in Legion it seems that the +5 Stamina Shield enchant should be replaced by the +4 Stam / +4 Vers Shield enchant. Am I crazy?

So far I’ve been stacking Haste, then Vers, but I don’t think I can get enough Haste to fit two Shield Slams within each Shield Block. Since doing meditative, mass-pulling tanking is what I’m doing, what do you think I should prioritize? I’m starting to think Vers...

Also: My Stamina is so high that potions and even the +15% (max 300HP) trinket barely make a dent in recovering health. Are there any ways to recover a larger chunk of health at this level in PvE? (Obvs I’ve got rune bandages, but those usually don’t work during intense, multi-pack pulls.

Oh! Also: there is some serious wonkiness with BoE drops. I’ve been trying to farm Mail BoE Gloves from rares (glove reinforcements ftw!) in Arathi and Hillsbrad but they all drop with a Level 21 minimum. Wtf! Does this mean I should make a level 19/17 twink just to farm these?

Final question: Is there a reliable way to target dummy my DPS? Does the Engineering dummy work for this? (I haven’t leveled Eng cuz PvE Plate classes don’t seem to benefit from the Goggles or the Trinket.)

Thanks for any help / advice!

Last edited:
More precisely, what kind of PvE do you appreciate the more?

Dungeons, quests, raids?

Running Dungeons. I’m going to start trying solo runs of 5-mans. (At least the six that are available at lvl20.)

Later on I’m going to work on a level 57 Blood DK, (and 97 Tank DH) but that’s far into the future :)

hey dude
welcome to the forums
there are a couple of us who like pve twinking
im sure they will eventually drop by this thread and welcome you themselves too

in the meantime
linking a few threads i started that might be helpful

https://xpoff.com/threads/most-useful-pve-items.75401/
https://xpoff.com/threads/single-drop-source-boes.75473/

also @Chops has some warrior relevant stuff on you tube
check out his thread

https://xpoff.com/threads/youtube-help.75358/

and @icehawk has a buncha relevant pve info in most of his posts as well

I’ve got a 20 Prot Warrior that I’ve geared for dps.
I’ve still got the stats chant on the chest for extra Str. If it’s dps ur after, make sure u have the Satyr neck chant, and on the shield I run with a Spike - can’t recall which one but I’ve tested them all and found the one that hits the hardest.
My Warrior is currently logged out as Arms but later tonight I’ll make sure I log as Prot so u can check out my chants / gear if ur interested.
Soloing bosses on a Prot Warrior is quite difficult. Trash mobs in dungeons, including Gnomer is ok but Bosses just wear u down. Some Bosses that spawn adds are doable as u can kill the adds and get a free heal, but with no adds it’s difficult.
For weapons - it’s Crusader all the way. Procs a heal every time as well as Str. I have played around with weapon switching between Crusader and one of the bubble / heals chants and u just can’t beat Crusader.
I enjoy PvE also on the Prot Warrior. Tried to solo BFD before patch 7.3.5. - almost did it, only a few bosses I couldn’t drop.
Maybe we need to have some Prot Warrior solo challenges :p
I’ve been thinking of ways of trying to down the last boss in Gnomer. He does spawn adds but hits too hard inbetween. But I have a few tricks up my sleeve ;)
Have fun on the 20 Prot!

Edit : forgot to mention, I also prefer to run with a Haste set.

Lol - no!
I’m just researching ways to get the heal to proc. Like for instance, against the Turtle in BFD, simply charge and kill one of the nearby small mobs in the water, get 30% health back, get back to fight, rinse and repeat.
I’m looking for sly ways to get the proc. Clever, sly ways....... ;)

I’ve got a 20 Prot Warrior that I’ve geared for dps.

Edit : forgot to mention, I also prefer to run with a Haste set.

Lots of great info! Thank you. I remember someone a while ago here mentioned Crusader too, so that’s what I’m using. I’ve got the fishhook neck from the Blackfathom Depths dungeon (+6 Haste!) with the Satyr enchant and I’m using the Sword from that same dungeon that has the Shadow Blast procc which does about the same damage as the Satyr!

Something I’ve realized: Most of the twinking guides are meant for pre-Legion PvP twinking, and therefore seem to emphasize Stamina. That’s why I’ve got the +5 Stam bracers, Knothide Armor on my Legs and trying to get the +9 for Gloves.

... but for sololing and dungeon running is so much Stamina actually unecessary? Should I be prioritizing Strength / Haste enchants on my bracers, Legs and Gloves instead?

Also, I was thinking of that DPS shield enchant too! There’s an old comment on Wowhead that talked smack about it, but with the insane uptime on Shield Block (sub-10 sec CD) and huge pulls I can’t see how it doesn’t add up to tons of DPS over the Vers enchant. Thanks for the tip!!!

if you gonna solo alot having a tank with a heal is almost a must but ive found that prot paladin with full haste builde and crusader does great dmg and good to solo with aswell :3.

Lots of great info! Thank you. I remember someone a while ago here mentioned Crusader too, so that’s what I’m using. I’ve got the fishhook neck from the Blackfathom Depths dungeon (+6 Haste!) with the Satyr enchant and I’m using the Sword from that same dungeon that has the Shadow Blast procc which does about the same damage as the Satyr!

Something I’ve realized: Most of the twinking guides are meant for pre-Legion PvP twinking, and therefore seem to emphasize Stamina. That’s why I’ve got the +5 Stam bracers, Knothide Armor on my Legs and trying to get the +9 for Gloves.

... but for sololing and dungeon running is so much Stamina actually unecessary? Should I be prioritizing Strength / Haste enchants on my bracers, Legs and Gloves instead?

Also, I was thinking of that DPS shield enchant too! There’s an old comment on Wowhead that talked smack about it, but with the insane uptime on Shield Block (sub-10 sec CD) and huge pulls I can’t see how it doesn’t add up to tons of DPS over the Vers enchant. Thanks for the tip!!!
I use the same sword with Crusader.
My preference is for prioritizing Str & Haste, but max'ing Stam also has it's benefits. With frequent Crusader procs it's a good outcome also.
Also, it's the Thorium Shield Spike that scales the best at 20. I've tried all of them and despite the tool tips, it seems to be the best one.
Below is a quick Prot Warrior damage screenshot - from soloing half of BFD. The spike isn't huge damage but it's a constant little tickle through-out the fight. I prefer it over the Vers chant. I'm not to sure how the Vers and slight extra damage would compare to the spike.
upload_2018-3-25_23-20-29.png

I've also logged out with my Prot set so you can check out my Warrior :-
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/gundrak/krystalhawk

Unfortunately it’s not possible to get enough haste (as prot at level 20, from gears/enchants alone) to land 2 shield slams within 1 shield block window at this level, for to do so requires needing 50% or more haste
[(shield slam CD)/(shield block duration)
=9/6=1.5, or 1+50%.].

There is a consumable drum-item which casts bloodlust (+25% haste raid buff), which is necessary to reach that 50% haste threshold [assuming you can crack 25% or more haste before using such a CD]. There’s also the troll racial ability (+15% haste, 3 min. CD) though unless you’re able to have 35% or more haste (or stack the racial with bloodlust-drums [assuming they stack additively]), that racial alone won’t be enough.

Last edited:
First of all, I'll share my experiences as F2P so i don't have any idea about strong enchant effects or consumables that require high skill levels.

I farmed http://www.wowhead.com/item=2555/recipe-swiftness-potion in RFC when Prot. Warriors Shield Slam did crazy amount of damage (That was late MoP period if i remember well). It was really fun. I could do big pulls with thunder clap's AOE slow kiting. Shield Slam - Execute granted me instant elite mob kill and a victory rush to keep self healed. It was possible to kite more than 10 elites and kill one by one quickly without any strong enchants.

Tank classes lost ability to do such amount of damages at low levels so i believe a class that have good burst heals and burst damage would be better than prot. warriors nowadays. (for solo purposes of course)

Thanks so much for all your advice, and thanks Icehawk for the link to your gear set up. It’s all been super helpful.

Fun sidenote: I’ve been using campfires as a partywide CD for bosses in dungeons for that free +4 Versatility. I love little things like that, lol.

RE: Guardian:

Guardian has a spammable AoE, so doing a DPS build I'm sure is very effective. You have Iron Fur, which prioritizes Armor rating.

I want to try gearing up a Guardian actually. Right now I'm torn between Tauren or Highmountain. Tauren has an extra 10 stamina (which means that your biggest stamina enchant is your racial) but Highmountain gives you 1% extra Vers, which is huge because Vers is the hardest to gain percentages on.

Also Warstomp seems... meh. 2 second interrupt on only five mobs, but with a cast time. Bull Rush seems a lot better for tanking / interrupting.

guardian druid is great for solo tanking stuff prob second to prot paladin :3 i would say best tanks to solo with in order would be prot pala>guardian druid>Brewmaster>prot warrior

I think im also going to do this with my Landslide... Does that work? Also does anyone know if a hunter can proc Black Magic?

Also another question... Someone mentioned that you could get into the SFK event with love is in the air on a character as low as lvl 11? does anyone know if its true and how to do it? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread