• I. Introduction
  • II. Races & Pets
  • III. Gear & Enchants
  • IV. Professions
  • V. Macros
  • VI.Maths
  • VII. Conclusion & Honorable Mentions
I. Introduction​
Welcome. Since cataclysm, hunter is the most overpowered class to twink at level one. They can kite, have pets and their Arcane Shot ability deals a lot of damage and ignores armor. They have become so powerful, that many said playing a level one hunter is boring. They can solo level 45+ elites, and win duels with 20+ players. Beast Mastery is not so powerful, but it reduces the power you put into your hunter to increase the capabilities of your pet. This is challenging build, but most of all fun, and either in duels, PvE or arenas you will probably find it very interesting. The point of the build is to maximalise damage / health your pet has, and soloing / raiding stuff mostly with your pet. Name Beast Mastery is of course only idea name, as you cannot choose specialization on level one. Thanks, and enjoy the guide :)
II. Races & Pets​
Hunters at level one can only have their starting pet, as Tame Beast Ability requires level 10.
races of the Alliance
1. Night Elf. Racials: Shadowmeld, Nature Resistance, Quickness They are very strong choice for a BM hunter, thanks to their high agility and Shadowmeld ability. To maximalise it’s potential, use shadowmeld macro (lower in this guide). Their pet is Young Cat , Ferocity.

2. Human. Racials: Every Man for Himself, weak choice for BM hunter, they don’t have any useful racial. Their pet is Young Wolf , Ferocity

3. Worgen. Racials: Darkflight, Viciousness, Aberration Strong choice for BM hunter thanks to Viciousness and Darkflight. To get out of their starting zone search for “escaping worgen zone” in youtube. Their pet is Young Mastiff , Ferocity (which I found terribly ugly)

4. Dwarf. Racials:Stoneform, Frost Resistance, Crack Shot. Very strong choice for BM hunter, due to the pet being Tenacity (tanking) spec, and fact that the 10% dmg reduction from Stoneform works for your pet. For maximalising PvP management of Tenacity pet read The Charge Macro in macros section below. Their pet is Young Bear , Tenacity

5. Draenei. Racials: Gift of the Naaru , Heroic Presence , Shadow Resistance . Very Strong choice for BM hunter due to ability to cast Gift of the Naaru on your pet. For maximalising opportunity to use Gift of the Naaru, read Gift of the Naaru macro below. Their pet is Young Moth , Ferocity

races of the Horde
1. Troll. Racials: Regeneration, Berserking, Da Voodoo Shuffle, Beast Slaying , Dead Eye . Extremely strong choice for BM hunter, due to a fact that your pet benefits from Regeneration, Berserking, and their high agility. To effectively manage burst in PvP, read the Timers Macro and The Burst Macro below. Their pet is Young Raptor , Ferocity

2. Undead. Racials: Will Of The Forsaken, Cannibalize, Shadow Resistance, Touch Of The Grave. Very Strong choice for BM hunter. Their pet ability Roar of Sacrifice is the strongest ability available to level one twinks (AND IM SERIOUS!), making you invulnerable to critical hits for 12 seconds. Duel a level one rogue and watch as his precious 60% crit goes down to 0! For maximalising output of Cannibalize, read the Cannibalize Macro below. Their pet is Young Widow , only cunning pet available for level one.

3. Blood Elf. Racials: Arcane Resistance, Arcane Torrent. Blood elves are descent choice for BM hunters. Their pet is Young Dragonhawk , Ferocity

4. Orc. Racials: Blood Fury, Hardiness, Command . Very strong choice for BM hunter due to Command 2% (was 5%) buff to pet damage and Blood Fury benefiting your pet. . For maximalising PvP management of Tenacity pet read The Charge Macro in macros section below. Their pet is Young Boar , Tenacity.

5. Tauren. Racials: Endurance , Nature Resistance , War Stomp Strong choice for BM hunter. One of the two combinations that have more than 1 cc ability on level one (1st is Blood Elf Mage, with Slow and Silence, and 2nd is Tauren Hunter, with Stun and Immobilize), and definitely the one with stronger CC. Their pet is Young Tallstrider , Tenacity (the most tanky of all tenacity pets available thanks to the tauren’s high health)

III. Gear & Enchants​

Now you can choose from two fighting techniques: Keeping Distance and Fighting Melee.
Keeping Distance allows you to safely resurrect your pet after he dies and allows kiting, but greatly lowers beginning health of pet and DPS.
Fighting Melee allows your pet to start with high health. You also do more DPS (your damage + pet's damage) and to heal your pet, but when your pet dies you are opened for damage what will most likely kill you.
Proc enchants do not proc out of your pet's attacks, only from your. Keeping Distance build is based on flat stats (because you are not attacking), and Fighting Melee build is based on proc enchants (because you attack).
Beginning of the fight is also different. In distance build you start off with an arcane shot, then change to your melee weapons. In Melee build you start off attacking in melee, so you should start with one-handed weapon and FMP.

<Keeping Distance Build>

<Fighting Melee Build>

IV. Professions​
On BM hunter I prefer to use Herbalism with Mining, but if your purpose is PvP only, go herbalism + skinning.
Profession bonuses:
Herbalism: 50-200 heal + 35 haste for 20 sec
Mining: 5 stamina
Skinning: 6 crit rating
V. Macros​
  • Healing Macro
    • /focus YOURPETNAME
    • /tar focus
    • /petfollow
    • /use Heavy Runecloth Bandage
  • Leaving Combat Macro
    • /stopattack
    • /petfollow
  • Opening Macro <- Use this at the beginning of the fight
    • / Equip Charmed Ancient Bone Bow
    • /Cast Arcane Shot
    • /equip YOURWEAPONNAME
  • Resurrecting Macro
    • Equip Reforged Truesilver Champion (the weapon with +20 haste)
    • /call Pet1
    • /cast Revive Pet
  • Shadowmeld Macro – Night elf only. pet often breaks shadowmeld. To counter it, use this macro:
    • /petfollow
    • /stopattack
    • /cast Shadowmeld
    • /sit
  • The Charge Macro – Tenacity pets only. Pet charge works exactly like warrior’s one, and cannot be cast if the pet is 5yd or closer to the target. For the times when 1 sec immobilize will save your life use:
    • /petfollow
    • /stopattack
    And after you exit combat, and have charge ready (check Timers macro), use:
    • /castsequence
    • / Equip Charmed Ancient Bone Bow
    • /Cast Arcane Shot
    • /petfollow
  • Gift of the Naaru Macro
    • /tar YOURPETNAME
    • /equip Furbolg Medicine Pouch
    • /Cast Gift of the Naaru
    • /targetlasttarget
  • The Burst Macro – click as soon as Rabid(ferocity) is used by your pet.
    • /cast Lifeblood
    • /cast Berserking (troll only)
    • /cast Blood Fury (orc only)
    • /equip Charmed Ancient Bone Bow
    And spam arcane shot.
  • Cannibalize Macro – Undead only
    • /stopattack
    • /petfollow
    • /cast Cannibalize
  • Timers Macro
    • /cast Rabid
      Or
    • /cast Charge
      Or
    • /Cast Roar of Sacrifice (undead only)
      Or
    • /cast Dash
Macros like that cannot unfortunately cast the abilities, because until level 10 your pet is treated like guardian and you cannot control it, but having those on your bars lets you track cooldowns of those abilities and (knowing that your pet will cast them as soon as it gets focus) organize burst / escape / CC, you can get the same effect downloading Bartender addon.
VI.Maths​
  • 1 stamina gives your pet 7 health. 1 Health Point gives your pet 0.7 health points.
  • 1 armor gives your pet 0.14% damage reduction
  • Your pet has the same percentage as you on: Hit, Haste, Crit.
VII. Conclusion & Honorable Mentions​
Aaaand this is the end of my guide. I hope that you enjoyed reading it and you will find playing BM hunter as fun as I have. Remember that while your pet attacks, you should have agility melee weapons on, and can run and bandage teammates.
GREAT THANKS TO:
[MENTION=8058]BoudThe1Twink[/MENTION] – I took a great part of your guide, just being too lazy to format the gear section. Thanks for that and for advice about the guide.
[MENTION=990]chubs[/MENTION] for information and bartender trick
[MENTION=4024]ImmahBon[/MENTION] for loads of info about macros and technical aspects of level 1 pets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guide, very extensive :)

However, I noticed a small error.

Under chest is says:
Chest:

1. Champion’s Deathdealer Breastplate

2. Vendor Chest

Enchant: Vendor Bracers

Enchant: Superior Stamina

At the 1st enchant it says Vendor Bracers, but links to the chest enchant, and the second enchant is the bracer enchant. I don't see any subheading for bracer either. You must've exidently merged them or something :)

Besides that, nice guide!

the stop attack macro works for warlock pets as well and I've found this macro helpful occasionally when you don't want your pet out

/script PetDismiss();

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the Burnished Warden Staff be better for resurrecting then the Reforged Truesilver Champion due to the additional haste the staff provides?

My mistake. I was under the impression that the only requirement for the haste enchant was that it be applied to a two-handed weapon. Thank you for the clarification!

Also, what would be a good substitute for the Flintlocke's Woodchucker if you don't have a hunter to apply it?

My mistake. I was under the impression that the only requirement for the haste enchant was that it be applied to a two-handed weapon. Thank you for the clarification!

Also, what would be a good substitute for the Flintlocke's Woodchucker if you don't have a hunter to apply it?

Umm sorry but no idea here. Tbh you won't use the ranged wep so often for it to make any difference.

Safety Catch Removal - 33 Ranged Haste

I think they've changed (or will in 6.0) ranged haste to just haste

Question, the Woodchucker gives 112 agility once a min (basically) and the vermin does like 30 no dmg. For ranged fighting, wouldn't a straight haste enchant be better with .2 sec or whatever auto shots hitting for less than a 1 sec auto shot hitting for more? Just curious

Safety Catch Removal - 33 Ranged Haste

I think they've changed (or will in 6.0) ranged haste to just haste

Question, the Woodchucker gives 112 agility once a min (basically) and the vermin does like 30 no dmg. For ranged fighting, wouldn't a straight haste enchant be better with .2 sec or whatever auto shots hitting for less than a 1 sec auto shot hitting for more? Just curious

The point is you will use the bow ONCE just for pull. if you happen to get 122 agi proc your pet is gonna get boosted greatly when you use the melee weps.

ah...gotcha... melee hunter=mindblown :) not since vanilla!

a 2nd bow with 33 haste would be better than 2H with 20 haste counterweight though for rezzing

it's a straight haste buff ... only thing I don't know is if the ranged haste has been changed to just haste yet or not, if not it might not affect the pet rez...I can log on and test

Users who are viewing this thread