US Letting sub run out - looking at vet 20s

Faerondil

Legend
So I am letting my sub run out for the 1st time in 12 years. It has more to do with the state of my life than the state of the game. I just don’t play enough to justify the sub at this time. So I am looking to play some Vet 20s and have a few questions:

How’s the state of the 20-29 BG and Arena brackets in regards to f2p and Vet players?

What classes/specs can best hold their own against 29s?

What classes/specs are too weak against 29s?
[doublepost=1549762423,1549759564][/doublepost]BTW - I’m mostly interested in Druid, Hunter, Paladin, Rogue, and Monk. But I intend to play all classes up to 20. Just looking for which classes I should focus my efforts.

Usually whichever side has more twinks/competent players wins. Ally has much shorter queue times (3-4 mins) because most twinks are Horde and usually you end up playing with Levelers/bad players. Horde is much better but 3-4 min longer queue times.

20-29's meta is Arcane, Fury Warr (twinked), Marks/Surv Hunters
Most healers are good, but I see MW Monk, HPal, Disc Priest, R Sham mostly being played. Resto Druids usually FC or poke Damage.

Druids - Resto & Bal viable, though Resto is better but not a great healer.
Hunter - All Specs are Viable MM/Surv most popular
Paladin - Holy is really the only good spec, but if u really love Ret, then you can try to make it work
Rogue - Outlaw mainly because Between the Eyes stun, other classes lack Kidney Shot, so Outlaw is the only spec taken seriously. This class is not OP at all but can take most other classes(not healers of course) in a 1v1. Problem with Pugs is that you're almost never in a 1v1 situation. Also, to be decent you need Ele Force enchants. You can survive without, but your damage is like a wet noodle.
Monk - MW all the way, WW was nerfed way back, and you can probably hit higher numbers on MW than WW.

I personally enjoy playing Rsham, Fury warr, and MW. Despite how OP Fury Warrs are (when twinked), playing Alliance is really painful because people really don't know how to play at all. People have made threads on this in the past, but idc, I'd rather wait a few more mins for a good game.

Make sure to finish getting Mounts/Consumables/Enchants/Toys/Upgrade Bank Slots/Material Storage before Sub runs out, if you want to twink ur 20

Edit: Also I should mention that the gap between 29s and 20s isn't that large, since everything is just whether or not ur twinked and have good consumables. 29s might get an interrupt or an extra stun, but that's really the only difference (afaik)

Just looking for which classes I should focus my efforts.
Can't go wrong with druid or rogue if you don't have much time for the play.
Stealth eliminates notable negative issues.

Vet druid is really strong and really fun. Hell, my pure f2p druid can hold her own. 10/10 would highly recommend that be a class you focus on.

And I've also been having alot of fun on my hunters recently. They have a really entertaining kit.

Holy paladins are cool. They're a good all rounder with good survivability. Teaches the core of healing too (positioning, fake casting, mana efficiency) since it's so cast heavy. Bit of a learning curve but worth it in the end.

Consumables arent needed just make sure you get your engi and alchemy to 300 for shenanigans before it runs out

Mistweaver Monks! I am absolutely enjoying both of my Starter Edition Monks (each faction) can only imagine how good it is as a veteran 20.

So sub ran out but I bought a token and applied it to my battlenet so I can sub for a month for $0 to finish what I am working on. Currently decided to go with Druid, Monk, Hunter... but I think I will eventually make one of each class to tinker with. As far as the 3 I am going to work on now; are Feral and WW just not meta or pretty useless? I am going to try out Resto and MW regardless, but really love the other 2 specs.

Feral is good. Not great, not bad. Just good. Problem is, it's pretty reliant on ele force, which is gonna eat a nerf in the next patch.

I haven't played wind walker nor have I really seen many so I couldn't tell you. But I can't imagine that they aren't at least somewhat viable, given their kit

I haven't played wind walker nor have I really seen many so I couldn't tell you. But I can't imagine that they aren't at least somewhat viable, given their kit
WW is one of those specs that looks good on paper, but just doesn’t deliver :eek:
I’ve got a Monk spec’d Mist, and from time to time I’ll switch to WW, then after a bg or 2, I remember why I’m Mist.
Will be very hard imo to get a lot of enjoyment out of WW. Even PvE, it’s effective in a group, but lacking when soloing content.

Mist is solid as a Vet, tough in both the PvP and PvE arena.

Fuck plz dont rogue, there are just mountains of fkn rogues on both factions (more horde) (they are losing a significant amount of output in the next patch) and they all go and try solo shit and are fkn useless. Horde desperately needs Arcane mages, there are at least 5 alliance ones for every 1 horde. #rerollhordearcane.

Feral is good. Not great, not bad. Just good. Problem is, it's pretty reliant on ele force, which is gonna eat a nerf in the next patch.

WW is one of those specs that looks good on paper, but just doesn’t deliver :eek:
I’ve got a Monk spec’d Mist, and from time to time I’ll switch to WW, then after a bg or 2, I remember why I’m Mist.
Will be very hard imo to get a lot of enjoyment out of WW. Even PvE, it’s effective in a group, but lacking when soloing content.

Mist is solid as a Vet, tough in both the PvP and PvE arena.

I think @Donor was into running WW Monks at 20. Maybe he can elaborate on how useful the spec is. I agree though, Mistweaver is the way to go!

Last edited:

20 feral damage is meh. 29 feral gets the stun and does like twice the damage.

Going to be starting leveling some fresh toons. Do starter zone quest rewards scale to 20 or is it just the second and third zones (example: Telsrassil - Darkshore - Ashenvale zones for night elf). I am assuming only Darkshore and Ashenvale would scale.

So if I plan to keep my sub, I’m assuming I’d have to do this on a separate account and let that run out. Once the two accounts are linked to my battle.net do I get to keep the Mogs and mounts from my main account on my vet account?

Users who are viewing this thread