Let's talk about rankings.

Crystalpall

the F2P PvEr
Hello, I want this to be a discussion thread, but keep it civil please.
Since cataclysm lofi's ranking thread was a thing that kept me playing F2P, I wanted to be the best, to hit top 1 achievements, to be like Kyle, then Lil, then 'epicok' russian druid, then Felix, and finally Babydoll. I wasn't the only one, and not only in achievement rankings - look at Maratian, he got 400k Honorable Kills even in cataclysm!
I think rankings are something that makes a lot of people play F2P WoW and with recent events I think it's time to start a discussion.

1. Lofi didn't update the rankings since 2014-11-10. No one forces him to continue with the rankings, maybe he has some RL stuff going on or just tired with it, I have nothing against him. Would love to see rankings up and running however, is here anyone skilled in programming who could write a program checking data from wow armory? I can update them, that's not a problem for me, the thing is that rankings should take into account EVERY F2P player, not only the ones I know so it should take data from wow armory.

2. No one can enter raids anymore. If the achievement rankings should still take place these achieves should (in my opinion) be skipped in counting points as these are TOO MUCH points for a new player to be able to get anywhere near top 25.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts please share.

I think it would be good to resume the F2P Rankings too :) Seeing F2P players with tons of achievement points has been what kept me motivated to go further with MY achievement points!

Last edited:
[MENTION=1027]lofi[/MENTION] contacted me to take over the rankings update a few months back. I told him I would look into the things needed to run the update, but I haven't. Truthfully I don't have time to do it. Hopefully he's still around on TI and has another person in mind. [MENTION=17546]Crystalpall[/MENTION] maybe you if you are interested, I would contact him ;)

[MENTION=1027]lofi[/MENTION] contacted me to take over the rankings update a few months back. I told him I would look into the things needed to run the update, but I haven't. Truthfully I don't have time to do it. Hopefully he's still around on TI and has another person in mind. [MENTION=17546]Crystalpall[/MENTION] maybe you if you are interested, I would contact him ;)

Of course I am :) please contact Lofi

Ranking update is in-progress. If all goes smoothly I'll post the update in the morning. I do plan on passing it on to someone else who is interested in keeping it up-to-date. Before I do that I would like to migrate the source code to Visual Studio 2013 community edition. If you have experience with Visual Studio and have a desire to maintain the rankings please send me a PM.

I have no stake in this since I'm not interested in being in the rankings, but it's possible that for that very reason, I might be worth listening to on this matter.

I don't think that grandfathered achievements should be removed after the fact simply because not everyone can get them anymore. It's really too bad, but it's the nature of the game and those people worked to achieve those points. You would have to go in and remove points that people actually earned, in your own interpretation of fairness, and what if those people don't agree that it's fair? If the list is going to be maintained by someone on the list and trying to climb, then any decision that gets made like that is going to be under a lot of scrutiny for conflict of interest. If some people have more points because they were innovators and pioneers and managed to do some things before others got to do so, that's all the better for them. It wouldn't be right to take that away from them.

I have no stake in this since I'm not interested in being in the rankings, but it's possible that for that very reason, I might be worth listening to on this matter.

I don't think that grandfathered achievements should be removed after the fact simply because not everyone can get them anymore. It's really too bad, but it's the nature of the game and those people worked to achieve those points. You would have to go in and remove points that people actually earned, in your own interpretation of fairness, and what if those people don't agree that it's fair? If the list is going to be maintained by someone on the list and trying to climb, then any decision that gets made like that is going to be under a lot of scrutiny for conflict of interest. If some people have more points because they were innovators and pioneers and managed to do some things before others got to do so, that's all the better for them. It wouldn't be right to take that away from them.

The thing is after a certain amount of achieves done you don't have much choice. If you want to get more points you can get the same 10p reaching exalted with a faction or lying around while your raid grp kills bosses. It's not a few achievs, it's thousands of points which are simply impossible to get over.

It's not a few achievs, it's thousands of points which are simply impossible to get over.

That's a real shame. But like I said, what's the alternative: taking away thousands of points from people who rightly earned them?

If the door is closed to newcomers then so be it. We see this happen with grandfathered gear all of the time.

That's a real shame. But like I said, what's the alternative: taking away thousands of points from people who rightly earned them?

If the door is closed to newcomers then so be it. We see this happen with grandfathered gear all of the time.

In every single bracket as well, not just this one.

Just make two ranking lists, one that includes gf'd achievements, and one that doesn't. I don't know shit about making these lists though, so it might be way too much of a hassle, but just a suggestion.

i would agree in banning players or achievs which were achieved with fake gametime codes.

but gfd achievs are just gfd like it always happens, no matter how many they are.

*staring at this* :rolleyes:

The thing is after a certain amount of achieves done you don't have much choice. If you want to get more points you can get the same 10p reaching exalted with a faction or lying around while your raid grp kills bosses. It's not a few achievs, it's thousands of points which are simply impossible to get over.

I disgree with you here. Its not like all these people are new players without any ingame connections and just get dragged along the way through these raids. Very often they get help either by their own p2p or ingame friends they used to/are still playing with. They have been invested in the game to certain extent far more than you are portraing it.

Now two lists might be an option and is fine if the person maintaining it is willing to bring the effort.
Otherwise you can always keep track of the people with certain gf'd achievements on your own.
Its a very subjective approach to something that should be treated objectively.

I got Achievements - Community - World of Warcraft randomly one day. I'm a pure F2P lol.
Might make the list even more complicated...

I think with 6.1 coming anything is fair game. You are going to have a hard time finding a "pure" f2p when the cost of Guild BoA and chants is a 1 time fee of 5 bucks.

Hey,

I really don't mind getting a different ranking system. I just want you to keep in mind that earning some raid achievement have been a challenge. I'm not talking about most of raid achievements but just take a look at these four : Once Bitten Twice Shy, Do A Barrel Roll!, Holding Hands and Stay Chill.

You want to remove raid achievements, why not all the GFed ones ? Should we also remove the ones from the Brawler guild since it's not doable with a pure f2p ?

ßabydoll

Hey,

I really don't mind getting a different ranking system. I just want you to keep in mind that earning some raid achievement have been a challenge. I'm not talking about most of raid achievements but just take a look at these four : Once Bitten Twice Shy, Do A Barrel Roll!, Holding Hands and Stay Chill.

You want to remove raid achievements, why not all the GFed ones ? Should we also remove the ones from the Brawler guild since it's not doable with a pure f2p ?

ßabydoll

What brawler guild ones? Are you talking about rabble rabble rabble and the other one?

Its a very subjective approach to something that should be treated objectively.

Exactly this. The moment someone says "I've decided these no longer count, because I can't get them", credibility for the entire project goes right out the window. Have respect not only for the hard work of those other achievers, but for Lofi's hard work in creating the objective ranking system, and don't yank out the parts that don't suit you because you can't achieve them. Crystal I hope you know that I say this all with the utmost respect and deference.

I'm wondering...If raid achievements can be removed because they are unable for a newcomer to attain, shouldn't DK achievements be also? And other GF'd achievements that I am not aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread